• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

it has been proven that hugs spread disease and can lead to inappropriate behaviors. it has not been proven that hugs make health better.

some people are huggers and enjoy physical contact with acquaintances and even strangers. some people are not casual huggers. there is nothing wrong with keeping yourself to yourself when you want to. for me, hug impulses are bad. i do not have them in real life except with very close friends and family.

... i keep my sig simple and don't change it, lee, but that's just me. i may some day i guess. but i can't see them at work anyway. and some of them are a bit flashy for me to look at and make the computer run slower. not yours, but some of the spazzier ones.

@Ah i pity your stressed immune system, lol

um, no, actually i don't.

but this hugging everyone stuff is a really western thing. a good part of the world, maybe most of it, is not OK with snugging up to anyone and everyone, or even standing too close to other people. my personal zone of comfort with unrelated adult humans is about 6 feet, which is pretty much in line with the far east from what i recall of social anthropology. it's not a good or bad thing. it's a different thing. poeople are different, they don't all have to act the same or feel the same. and they don't have to hug casually if they don't want to.

a hug is an act of intimacy to me. in RL i mean. *hug* usually doens't freak me out, but sometimes it does.

Edited by cindy

yeah, i hear that. i don't like the presumption at all.

i was once in a meeting, and one of the women in the meeting reached over and petted my shoulder like a dog. i instantly went red with rage. everyone else in the room knew me and were waiting for serious fireworks, but i just gritted my teeth, pulled my chair as far away as i could and never spoke to her again. been ten years now. still an unpleasant memory.