DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[s]Goal: 100,000 New Goal: 200,000[/s] New Goal: 250.000

Toy and Minion

from wikipedia's Rhode's scholarship page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes_Scholarship

Four South African boys' schools were mentioned in Rhodes' will, each to receive an annual scholarship: the Boys High School, in Stellenbosch (today known as Paul Roos Gymnasium); the Diocesan College (Bishops) in Rondebosch; the South African College Schools (SACS) in Newlands; and St Andrew's College in Grahamstown.

bold and italics is my school

Rhodes Scholars may study any full-time postgraduate course offered by the University,[7] whether a taught Master’s programme, a research degree, or a second undergraduate degree (senior status). In the first instance, the scholarship is awarded for two years. However, it may also be held for one year or three years. Applications for a third year are considered during the course of the second year.

University and College fees are paid by the Rhodes Trust. In addition, Scholars receive a monthly maintenance stipend to cover accommodation and living expenses.[8][9] Although all scholars become affiliated with a residential college while at Oxford, they also enjoy access to Rhodes House, an early 20th century mansion with numerous public rooms, gardens, a library, study areas, and other facilities.

this is cool stuff to get

• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

9000 British pounds = 108 696.215 South African rands

per year? Just tuition? Why the increase? are they trying to make university as elitist as possible? People even accept paying this much? Do you still know how to protest? I can give you some pointers... I go to a private school for less than this, and this is something everyone is supposed to be able to pay for?

rant over. but that's still a lot of of money.

Which course is this for, or it this a flat across the board fee? and what's the income threshold for bursary application

There were protests, predictably nothing happened as a result. Thankfully for me Scottish students don't pay any tuition fees, if we did then I doubt I'd be going

none at all?

Once again you're education system logic escapes me

not a penny :)

9000 British pounds = 108 696.215 South African rands

per year? Just tuition? Why the increase? are they trying to make university as elitist as possible? People even accept paying this much? Do you still know how to protest? I can give you some pointers... I go to a private school for less than this, and this is something everyone is supposed to be able to pay for?

rant over. but that's still a lot of of money.

Which course is this for, or it this a flat across the board fee? and what's the income threshold for bursary application

There were protests, predictably nothing happened as a result. Thankfully for me Scottish students don't pay any tuition fees, if we did then I doubt I'd be going

none at all?

Once again you're education system logic escapes me

But I would have to pay the £9K to go to a Scottish uni too

this is not helping

also have either of you heard of the Rhodes scholarship?

Uh, not really. Something to do with Oxford..?

It's a scholarship paid for by the trust fund of Cecil John Rhodes. Yes, you do go to Oxford. There are a couple of scholarships anyone can apply for and then three schools(I think) are given the ability to send one of their own past pupils to Oxford, my school is one of them. It's pretty insane if you think about the money involved

Cecil John Rhodes was a diamond mining magnate, got his money from the diamond fields up north in South Africa in Upington to be exact, basically he ended up buying all the diamond plots there (I think he owned De Beers). Then he became Prime Minister of the Cape Colony, or whatever it was called those days. When he died he put up that scholarship and gave away all the land that currently makes up the University of Cape Town, and that's a sizeable protion of Table Mountain.

tl;dr version: Cecil john Rhodes made the Scholarship, he was stinking rich, and stalked by a princess but that's beside the point

You should come to Oxford!

We can have a boat race :laugh:

If I ever get the chance, be sure that I would be there in a heartbeat

I am definitely not accusing you of idle moaning at least not for the stuff that's coming up now, I'm just drawing up similarities

Seems we've had a misunderstanding, I thought for a minute it looked as if I was belittling the problems you've illustrated, which I'd hate to do, but I see what you mean now.

Your accusation probably would have been accurate had you made it :P I love a good moan :laugh:

makes you feel a little better doesn't it?

I am definitely not accusing you of idle moaning at least not for the stuff that's coming up now, I'm just drawing up similarities

Seems we've had a misunderstanding, I thought for a minute it looked as if I was belittling the problems you've illustrated, which I'd hate to do, but I see what you mean now.

Your accusation probably would have been accurate had you made it :P I love a good moan :laugh:

Definitely :laugh:

doesn't really solve your problem but raging against it just feels nice

3464198_460s.jpg

Heh :D

Also I have been stalking your school. It looks very nice :) And rather posh compared to mine, lol

It's good, posh I don't know about, I mean the building are old and the uniform is awesome, but the people inside are the same as in the other schools in the area. Actually we have a big problem with people being arrogant about being a "Bishops boy" or whatever, the schools around the area provide really good schooling as well

It's good, posh I don't know about, I mean the building are old and the uniform is awesome, but the people inside are the same as in the other schools in the area. Actually we have a big problem with people being arrogant about being a "Bishops boy" or whatever, the schools around the area provide really good schooling as well

Mmm. We don't have uniform :)

I was just looking at teh Wiki page

I'm looking through the list of Old Boy's and seeing how insane it is...

Raymond Ackerman,[6] founder of the Pick 'n Pay supermarket chain (probably the biggest one in SA, or up there)

Mark Shuttleworth,[14] entrepreneur, astronaut, Linux developer.

Herschelle Gibbs,[18] South African cricketer

Tim Noakes,[21] professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town (this guy's been in the press recently, changed his whole theory on running nutrition I believe)