DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Music News from the Band of the Red Hand (January 2011)

Corki

Something new and different for 2011 from the Band of the Red Hand, DM's music, travel and eating out Social Group.

We have never really had a news thread dedicated to music in the past. I have posted the odd thread when I see something interesting, but I feel one thread started each month will be beneficial and a good addition to our boards. I suspect I will be the one posting predominately, but the thread is open to all to post any news relating to the world of music, for example, news of a new album, tour or band member, or maybe the sad passing of one of the greats from the music world. Any genre is fine, so I am sure there will be a wide variety, from metal to classical, rap to new age.

One thing I would ask is that if you post something, please post your source so we have something to go back to. For example, if you follow an artist on Twitter and they post something about a new album, please post the link to that tweet.

In the post below will be a summary of what has been posted, along with a link that will take you to the post here on DM. I will also do my best to post your news via the Band's Twitter account as well.

I look forward to seeing you getting involved and finding out about what is happening in the world of music!

Right...I'll kick things off and post about how Swedish dance star Basshunter has been a naughty boy!

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-12171434

Basshunter music star denies sex attack charges

Dance music star Basshunter has denied two alleged sex assault charges against fans during a gig in a Fife nightclub.

Jonas Erik Altberg, 26, appeared at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court over allegations he attacked the pair at Kitty's nightclub in the Fife town.

Altberg, from Sweden, who turned up at court with his manager, will now stand trial in May.

The Celebrity Big Brother star was released on bail. He refused to comment to reporters as he left the court.

He is alleged to have grabbed one girl by the hair and pushed her head towards his groin.

A second charge alleges that he grabbed another girl, pushed her towards his groin, then bent her over.

He is further accused of pulling up the girl's dress inside the nightclub.

Mr Altberg, known professionally as Basshunter, scored a UK number one single with Now You're Gone in 2007, as well as hitting top spot with Boten Anna.

Grammy's Initial Performance List Announced

For those interested in the Grammy's, Here is the initial list of those who will be performing.

Miranda Lambert, Arcade Fire, Cee Lo Green, Lady Gaga, Eminem, and Katy Perry. I am sure there will be more.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/01/grammy-awards-announce-first-batch-of-performers-for-feb-13-telecast.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bit sad...

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-12292054

Canadian singer is first Liverpool Beatles graduate

A Canadian singer has become the first person in the world to graduate with a Masters degree in The Beatles.

Former Miss Canada finalist Mary-Lu Zahalan-Kennedy signed up for the course at Liverpool Hope University when it launched in March 2009.

The 53-year-old, who has recorded three albums, was the first to graduate of the 12 full-time students who joined the Master of Arts course.

She said: "I am so proud of my achievement."

"The course was challenging, enjoyable and it provided a great insight into the impact The Beatles had and still have to this day across all aspects of life," she added.

"The faculty and students at Liverpool Hope University were crucial in providing an unforgettable experience and their support was invaluable."

As well as examining the studio sound and composition of The Beatles' back catalogue, the course looks at how the city of Liverpool helped to shape their music.

Award nomination

The significance of their music and how it helped to define identities, culture and society is also examined.

Mike Brocken, founder and leader of the Beatles MA course, said: "This programme is the only postgraduate degree programme in the world of its kind.

"Mary-Lu now joins an internationally recognised group of scholars of Popular Music Studies who are able to offer fresh and thought-provoking insights into the discipline of musicology."

Ms Zahalan-Kennedy is a professional singer and actress who was nominated for a Juno award for Most Promising Female Vocalist in Canada in 1983.

Yet another year of Eurovision failure for the UK...

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12318490

Pop group Blue will represent the UK in the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest, it has been announced.

The group, best known for hits such as One Love and All Rise, will sing their new single I Can for the competition in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Last year, the band who disbanded in 2005, reformed for a series of gigs.

Band member Simon Webbe said: "I've always wanted to represent my country, so this is a truly exciting experience for Blue."

The group formed in 2000 and since then have sold more than 13 million records, won two Brit Awards and had three number one singles.

Duncan James said the band are celebrating their 20th year together and thought participating in the annual contest seemed "a great way to mark the occasion".

A one-hour documentary, showing Blue's preparation for the Eurovision Song Contest, will be broadcast on BBC One in April.

It will feature them recording the single, travelling to Europe to promote the entry, and receiving advice from fellow artists in the music business.

BBC head of entertainment and events Katie Taylor said: "We're enormously pleased to have found an act that not only meets but exceeds all the criteria for a great entry.

"Blue are the perfect choice and we're so proud to have them representing us at this year's Eurovision Song Contest."

Last year Germany's entry Lena Mayer-Landrut, emerged triumphant at the Eurovision Song Contest.

Teenager Josh Dubovie, who represented the UK with a song penned by Pete Waterman, scored just 10 points, coming last.

The Eurovision Song Competition will take place on 14 May and be broadcast live on BBC One, with commentary by Graham Norton.

QUOTE : That's basically the MAIN RISK when it comes to sending in big famous stars for the Eurovision Song Contest.: they have to risk their reputation being ruined.

What The ####

How can you ruin a reputation for being awful!

They get mocked constantly on Buzzcocks, They even got mocked in a film!

Some sad news: the passing of John Barry, famous for his James Bond theme.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12321610

Composer John Barry, famous for his work on Born Free, Midnight Cowboy and the James Bond films, has died aged 77 of a heart attack.

Born John Barry Prendergast in 1933, the York-born musician first found fame as leader of the John Barry Seven.

His arrangement of Monty Norman's James Bond theme led to him composing scores for 11 films in the series, among them Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice.

His work saw him win five Oscars, while he received a Bafta fellowship in 2005.

His most recent film score featured in the 2001 war thriller Enigma, while a musical version of Brighton Rock, created with lyricist Don Black, had its London premiere in 2004.

Awarded an OBE in 1999 for his services to music, Barry was renowned for his lush strings, orchestral swells and elegant melodies.

His music found a new audience when Robbie Williams featured music from You Only Live Twice on his 1998 hit single Millennium.

Archived