DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Christmas Carol - It's a Knockout 2010 (Winner: Good King Wenceslas)

Corki

Semi-Finals, Tie 2

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

The tune normally used for this carol is based on a chorus composed by Felix Mendelssohn in 1840. The words were written by Charles Wesley. It first appeared in Hymns and Sacred Poems in 1739. For many years it has served as the recessional hymn of the annual Service of Nine Lessons and Carols in King's College Chapel, Cambridge.

2008: Winner

2009: 1st Round

vs.

Good King Wenceslas

This popular carol is about a king who goes out to give alms to a poor peasant on the Feast of Stephen (26th December). The words were written by John Mason Neale, with the music coming from Piae Cantiones. It based upon the legend of the historical Saint Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia (907–935).

2008: 2nd Round

Voting ends on Wednesday 5th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

I am going to have to disagree with Krak.

1. O Come All Ye Faithful (1)

2. Good King Wenceslas

And because I get the overriding vote, both the above go through 2-1 to the final.

The Grand Final

O Come All Ye Faithful (1)

O Come All Ye Faithful is the English translation of the Latin hymn, Adeste Fideles. It is attributed to John Francis Wade, with the English translation done by Frederick Oakeley. When it first originated is unknown, but since translation, the carol has expanded from 4 verses to 8. Personally, I prefer the Latin version (well, I do have bias), but both are great, great carols!

2008: Runner-up

2009: Winner

vs.

Good King Wenceslas

This popular carol is about a king who goes out to give alms to a poor peasant on the Feast of Stephen (26th December). The words were written by John Mason Neale, with the music coming from Piae Cantiones. It based upon the legend of the historical Saint Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia (907–935).

Voting ends on Thursday 6th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

3rd/4th Play-Off

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

The tune normally used for this carol is based on a chorus composed by Felix Mendelssohn in 1840. The words were written by Charles Wesley. It first appeared in Hymns and Sacred Poems in 1739. For many years it has served as the recessional hymn of the annual Service of Nine Lessons and Carols in King's College Chapel, Cambridge.

2008: Winner

vs.

We Three Kings of Orient Are

This epiphany carol was written and composed by Reverend John Henry Hopkins, Jr., and it is suggested to have been written in 1857 but did not appear in print until his Carols, Hymns and Song in 1863.

2009: 2nd Round

Voting ends on Thursday 6th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

And a bit later than scheduled, here are the results:

In the Grand Final, Good King Wenceslas defeated the Top Seed O Come All Ye Faithful to secure the 2010 crown as the Band's and DM's favourite carol.

And taking 3rd place was We Three Kings Of Orient Are, pushing Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, into 4th place with a 3-0 victory.

Hopefully next year won't be so rushed as I won't have such evil exams before setting this up!

Watch out for The Top 16 songs of 2010 for the next "It's A Knockout", coming shortly.

Archived