DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Future of the Aiel

Duneflayer

can i just say that, somewhere in TSR there is a bit where moirain says something about the dragon prophicies and says something along the lines of "the dragon will kill his people with the sword of peace and destroy them with the leaf.

the sword of peace must be a refference to the big pack thing the dragon will (or might) make with all the leaders of the world to not declare war on eachother or fight (or something invoving peace :P) and the destroying with the leaf could be a refference to the tinkerers...?? just putting that out there as i didn't see anyone else mention it..

That was in reference to Rand revealing to the Aiel that they used to be peaceful and follow the Way of the Leaf. We see this "break" them and cause the bleakness where many Aiel throw down their spears. They are shamed by both the fact that they were not always proud warriors and by the fact that by giving up the Way their ancestors broke their honor to the Aes Sedai.

Ok, I admit to not liking the Aiel. I would not mind if the Seanchan were to indeed, wipe them out. The purpose of the Aiel is to serve the Dragon in defeating the Shadow. Once that is complete, what use would there be for such a one-track minded people in a peaceful world? They remind of the Klingons. The Aiel who cannot adjust to peaceful ways, the Way of the Leaf, would end up getting destroyed. Perhaps those who cannot accept that change, those who are too proud, will no longer be needed.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can i just say that, somewhere in TSR there is a bit where moirain says something about the dragon prophicies and says something along the lines of "the dragon will kill his people with the sword of peace and destroy them with the leaf.

the sword of peace must be a refference to the big pack thing the dragon will (or might) make with all the leaders of the world to not declare war on eachother or fight (or something invoving peace :P) and the destroying with the leaf could be a refference to the tinkerers...?? just putting that out there as i didn't see anyone else mention it..

That was in reference to Rand revealing to the Aiel that they used to be peaceful and follow the Way of the Leaf. We see this "break" them and cause the bleakness where many Aiel throw down their spears. They are shamed by both the fact that they were not always proud warriors and by the fact that by giving up the Way their ancestors broke their honor to the Aes Sedai.

Ok, I admit to not liking the Aiel. I would not mind if the Seanchan were to indeed, wipe them out. The purpose of the Aiel is to serve the Dragon in defeating the Shadow. Once that is complete, what use would there be for such a one-track minded people in a peaceful world? They remind of the Klingons. The Aiel who cannot adjust to peaceful ways, the Way of the Leaf, would end up getting destroyed. Perhaps those who cannot accept that change, those who are too proud, will no longer be needed.

Why does it need to be one way or the other. While it wouldn't hurt them to be a little less violent (especially if they are not going to isolate themselves in the Waste in the future) they certainly don't need to go completly the other way and follow the ridiculous Way of the Leaf. I am not a fan of pacifism. Pursuing peace is a good goal. Being unwilling to defend yourself is just stupid - particularly when you don't suggest that all their enemies such as the Seanchan also follow the Way. So your idea of a future for the Aiel is genocide or being spineless servants?

The Aiel have had a culture (one I approve of much more than the Seanchan culture also) for thousands of years before the Dragon came. Why should that suddenly need to end just because the last battle is done? There should be plenty of room in the world for all different types of cultures.

Why does it need to be one way or the other. While it wouldn't hurt them to be a little less violent (especially if they are not going to isolate themselves in the Waste in the future) they certainly don't need to go completly the other way and follow the ridiculous Way of the Leaf. I am not a fan of pacifism. Pursuing peace is a good goal. Being unwilling to defend yourself is just stupid - particularly when you don't suggest that all their enemies such as the Seanchan also follow the Way. So your idea of a future for the Aiel is genocide or being spineless servants?

The Aiel have had a culture (one I approve of much more than the Seanchan culture also) for thousands of years before the Dragon came. Why should that suddenly need to end just because the last battle is done? There should be plenty of room in the world for all different types of cultures.

You may be proven right. For such a thing to happen, the Aiel culture must drastically change. And so must the Seanchan, and a lot of other nations. Like I said, I do not like the Aiel, so my perspective is definitely not in their favor.

You may be proven right. For such a thing to happen, the Aiel culture must drastically change. And so must the Seanchan, and a lot of other nations. Like I said, I do not like the Aiel, so my perspective is definitely not in their favor.

Perhaps. I think it depends on what they decide to do after the last battle. If some of them want to stay in the wetlands they will have to adapt a little. They will need to understand not everyone follows ji'e'toh and they won't be able to raid their neighbors as often as they used to. However, if they go back to being isolated in the Waste they don't really need to change anything. Their culture worked fine for them for more than a thousand years. Also, keep in mind that while they are a warrior culture, it is almost always directed at themselves. The only two times in history that they made war with people other than themselves was the Aiel War when they left to punish someone that had dishonored them and when Rand brought the across the Spine. Otherwise they have left the rest of the world alone.

It seems unlikely that the Seanchan will be able to remain at peace without significant changes to their culture. One, their M.O. seems to be one of conquest, so it seems likely to me that they will try to bring all lands under their control. Two, they will probably be at odds with other cultures (even if they didn't try to conquer) as long as they continue to leash damane. So pretty much for the Seanchan culture to have peace with the rest of the world they either need to change some fundamental aspects of their culture or conquer the whole world. Personally, I very much hope it is the first option.

Archived