DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are some Big Things you only noticed after a bunch of Re-Reads???

The Fisher King

It's funny, I was actually listening to TSR in my truck earlier, and for the first time really heard Lanfear's quote from when she talks to Rand in the Stone. Rand is shielded but considers grabbing Callandor to use as a physical weapon. Lanfear stops him with a wall of air and then remarks:

"I cannot trust you fully Lews Therin. Not yet. Not with that certainly <referring to Callandor>. There are only two more powerful that a man can use. One, at least, I know still exists."

I was flabbergasted to have missed it before and that I've never seen a thread or rumor about it. Obviously one of the two was the male Choeden Kal, but whether it was the one Lanfear knew still existed is certainly a question. But it implies that there is another uber-powerful sa'angreal knocking around somewhere in Randland. Potentially a big plot crux at some point?

Actually it was a misprint that went to the Audiobook script office before being corrected. She was supposed to say that there were only "two more powerful that ever existed. One, at least, I know still exists." The 2 were supposed to refer to the Choedan Kal, one male and one female. The male one that she saw while with Rand in TGH is the one that she "knows to exist" at that point.

Do you have a quote for this? It's still in the version orbit sent me late last year, which is the latest printing.

No, I don't. I remember seeing several things about it around the time CoT came out, but haven't really seen anything since which I had assumed it was because it had been settled. I'll try to search through RJ quotes to see what I can find. IIRC the discussion came up because of the destruction of the female Access Key at the end of WH. I'll see what I can find.

Maria said: I just looked at the 22nd printing of the TSR mass market, and it still says, "There are only two more powerful that a man may use." I know that I never asked for that correction, since there is no need for it. Note that Lanfear adds, "One at least, I know, still exists."

I think someone fibbed to you.

Apparently I was misremembering it. I do apologize. I did find an RJ quote about it on Theoryland, but it was a RAFO not a statement of it being a misprint. It was not an intentional fib, just 20 years of info (all learned as the books came out across the 20 years) all being crammed together in my head. It was my mistake, sorry.

There's actually a note on it at Encylopedia WOT as well. Just on the passage I mean. Never noticed it before though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In New Spring:

"I should have hated to face these creatures armed only with a sword."

"You have faced Trollocs?"

"Yes."

"Where, if I may ask?"

"Shadowspawn can be found in places you never dreamed of, Master Lan."

This genuinely used to confuse me! Maybe I'm just stupid. :laugh: I understand now that she means her testing... And hope I'm correct.

I'm re-reading the Eye of the World at the minute, and I got to the part where Ba'alzomon is in Rand's dreams in Baerlon. The bit where he says "I stood at LTKinslayer's side and told him to kill all he loved. It was I who gave him the moment of sanity to know what he had done." (paraphrasing slightly there). And the first time round it still took me 'til Egwene and Verin were talking about the duality between them in the Tower to realise that it was Ishamael who was stalking Rand's dreams. I felt like such a muppet.

Archived