DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How to make change in WoTFAQ

Fury000

Found the teory of 2.3.11: What are "involuntary rings" a bit lacking. I really don't believe "involutary rings" has anything to do at all with A'dam but more with linking. We know that they called the circles for "rings" in AoL. And when Moradin is talking about "involunary" I believe he was thinking about that. As the skill, to force a female channalers into a circle agianst her will, seems to have been unkown AoL.

We have seen it done once in LoC, when Nynaeve hade problem to join a circle and Sheriam just force her to join. Also from Talene Mindy, the BA/Green Sitter explained that Black Ajah hade a way to force people into a circle.

I aslo believe that Sheriam did explain that to Egwene and Nynaeve in TGH. Can't find the damn book now to verify it as also think it was in one of the glosseries where they did explain linking.

Is there any chance this can be added there? And if so how?

Found the teory of 2.3.11: What are "involuntary rings" a bit lacking. I really don't believe "involutary rings" has anything to do at all with A'dam but more with linking. We know that they called the circles for "rings" in AoL. And when Moradin is talking about "involunary" I believe he was thinking about that. As the skill, to force a female channalers into a circle agianst her will, seems to have been unkown AoL.

We have seen it done once in LoC, when Nynaeve hade problem to join a circle and Sheriam just force her to join. Also from Talene Mindy, the BA/Green Sitter explained that Black Ajah hade a way to force people into a circle.

I aslo believe that Sheriam did explain that to Egwene and Nynaeve in TGH. Can't find the damn book now to verify it as also think it was in one of the glosseries where they did explain linking.

edit: Damn! got there before me!

anyway, for what its worth, I agree with yoniy0, it is hardly conclusive evidence. The a'dam is an involentary circle.

edit: Damn! got there before me!

anyway, for what its worth, I agree with yoniy0, it is hardly conclusive evidence. The a'dam is an involentary circle.

Yeah but so is also being forced into a ring/circle against your will plus a circle doesnt even break when sleeping if the one leading it wish it. That sounds pretty involuntary ring/circle to me.

Damn! got there before me!

Hehe :tongue:

Yeah but so is also being forced into a ring/circle against your will plus a circle doesnt even break when sleeping if the one leading it wish it. That sounds pretty involuntary ring/circle to me.

Shariam didn't force Nynaeve into the circle. Nynaeve isn't very skilled with it, that's the reason it felt the way it did. But she did intend to be added into it, which is why they were able to include her.

Found the teory of 2.3.11: What are "involuntary rings" a bit lacking. I really don't believe "involutary rings" has anything to do at all with A'dam but more with linking.

Have you considered the possibility that Moridin sees a'dam and the BA trick as basically the same thing? How do you know he wasn't also talking about Domination Bands? You ever notice how the sul'dam that have been held by an a'dam are described as being right on the very edge of channeling for the first time? Sounds rather like the way one prepares to join a circle, does it not?

Also, this from TFoH:

"But it is a ter'angreal, and I have puzzled out how it works. I saw you attend at least one lecture on linking. The a'dam links the two women. That is why the sul'dam must be a woman who can channel too." [Elayne] frowned slightly. "It is a strange link, though. Different. Instead of two or more sharing, with one guiding, it is one taking full control, really."

Sounds like an "involuntary ring" to me, and a'dam are way, way, way more common than this BA thing we've never actually seen anyone do. We also know for a fact that Moridin is quite aware of the Seanchan and their ways, but we don't actually know if he's aware of the BA trick. Likely, but hardly certain.

There are also numerous other quotes where the a'dam is described as a link, and its defining characteristic is that it is a tool of slavery, so....

Found the teory of 2.3.11: What are "involuntary rings" a bit lacking. I really don't believe "involutary rings" has anything to do at all with A'dam but more with linking.

Have you considered the possibility that Moridin sees a'dam and the BA trick as basically the same thing? How do you know he wasn't also talking about Domination Bands? You ever notice how the sul'dam that have been held by an a'dam are described as being right on the very edge of channeling for the first time? Sounds rather like the way one prepares to join a circle, does it not?

Also, this from TFoH:

"But it is a ter'angreal, and I have puzzled out how it works. I saw you attend at least one lecture on linking. The a'dam links the two women. That is why the sul'dam must be a woman who can channel too." [Elayne] frowned slightly. "It is a strange link, though. Different. Instead of two or more sharing, with one guiding, it is one taking full control, really."

Sounds like an "involuntary ring" to me, and a'dam are way, way, way more common than this BA thing we've never actually seen anyone do. We also know for a fact that Moridin is quite aware of the Seanchan and their ways, but we don't actually know if he's aware of the BA trick. Likely, but hardly certain.

There are also numerous other quotes where the a'dam is described as a link, and its defining characteristic is that it is a tool of slavery, so....

hmm why shouldnt Moridian be aware about that specific skill on his own creation when he is totally aware about the Winderfinders increased Talent to control weather? He seems to spent some effort to find out all the diffrent talents and also improve his own skill in some stuff since AoL.

And some info from the glossary in ACoS about linking:

"linking:

The ability of women who can channel to combine their flows of the One Power. While the combined flow is not as great as the sum total of the individual flows, it is directed by the person who leads the link and can be used much more precisely and to far greater effect than the individual flows could be. Men cannot link their abilities without the presence of a woman or women in the circle. Entering a link is normally a voluntary act, requiring at least acquiesence, but under certain circumstances, a sufficient circle already formed can bring another woman forcibly into the circle as long as no man is part of it. Insofar as is known, a man cannot be forced into a circle, no matter how large. Up to thirteen women can link without the presence of a man. With the addition of one man, the circle can increase to twenty-six women. Two men can take the circle to include forty-three women, and so on until the limit of six men and sixty-six women is reached. There are links that include more men and fewer women, but except in the linking of one man and one woman, two men and one woman or two men and two women, there must always be at least one more woman in the circle than there are men. In most circles, either a man or a woman can control the link, but a man must control in the circle of seventy-two as well in mixed circles of fewer than thirteen. Although men are in general stronger in the Power than women, the strongest circles are those which contain as near as possible to equal numbers of men and women."

Archived