DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Rock Climbing We Go (attn: Rosheen)

Matalina

Talyn was eager for this trip. It would provide many different lessons he was sure, but most of all it would be fun. A day rock climbing would sure enhance his strength and coordination, and the trip there would provide amble means for survival training, but he wanted to get up on the rocks and try and not kill himself.

He and Rosheen had been planning the trip for several weeks and Talyn could hardly sleep the night before. He was up well before he usually was and packed and ready to go with Sandstorm already packed before the morning light dawned. To say he was excited would be an understatement. He was nearly a year into his training and this was his first fun trip since he got here. And he wanted it to go off with out a hitch. He asked one of the stable boys, which horse was Rosheen's and got it ready so when she arrived they'd just have to put her belongings up there and then they could go.

Talyn didn't have to wait long before his mohawked mentor arrived. He almost squeeled but he kept it to himself as he smiled. "I hope I tackled your horse the way you'd prefer." He had after all done this for ten years before coming here. Talyn was no stranger to working in the stables.

Talyn

Lieutenant

Kiserai ti Tai Dai Din!

Breathing in the fresh morning air, Rosheen found herself lingering just outside the barracks a little longer than necessary. She often woke up early, just like every other guard who still felt that he or she had to improve, but she rarely took the time to just… breathe. The air was refreshing in more ways than one. She was looking forward to heading out to the mountains. She was quite sure that she and her mentee would both have fun during their little trip. She smiled and shook her head slightly. Talyn was no doubt brimming with anxiety, and worried that she wouldn’t show up at all. With a slight shrug she picked up her pack, which had two long roped aside from her usual gear, and headed out to the stables.

When she arrived there she was surprised to see that Nikos was already saddled. Even more so, he was saddled, and there wasn’t a single mangled stableboy in sight. Next to Nikos’ head she saw Talyn, grinning at her like the young boy he was. “I’m surprised he let you saddle him at all. Nikos is particular that way.†She said, giving her warhorse a hearty slap on the backside. Nikos tried to swat her with his tail, but other than that he didn’t react to her presence. Rosheen handed one of the lengths of rope to Talyn, and strapped her own on Nikos’ back, along with the rest of her pack. “You make sure that Rope doesn’t leave your side as soon as we get to the mountains. It might save your life sooner or later.â€

With that said she climbed onto Nikos’ back, and set a steady pace. The city was no place to gallop in, and Nikos understood that. By the time they arrived at the bridges, Rosheen was sure that her ears would fall off any time soon, with Talyn chatting them off about rocks, climbing, but more importantly: rock climbing. With a sigh she spurred her horse into a slightly firmer trot, pondering the distance from where they were until the arrived at the mountains again.

~Rosheen.

Ooc: ehm… what mountains were we heading for again?

When Talyn got anxious he talked alot, poor Rosheen's ear! But Kinslayer's Dagger neared into view and Talyn quieted down, Just in case instructions were about to be given.

The mountains loomed over them and Talyn wondered where they would put the horses, they couldn't come after all. He then wondered if Sandstorm would be okay out here. He'd hate for anything to happen to his trusty steed.

Rosheen tied up her horse on a branch with plenty of grass underneath, and Talyn did the same. He made sure to grab the rope his mentor had given him and tucked it over his shoulder as he turned to her. A bit nervously, "We ready to go?"

Talyn

Talyn bounced around nervously as Rosheen led them both up a steep slope, where they’d soon encounter the first climb. A good place to practise, if she remembered correctly. Then they could move to a steeper climb, where they could stay the night. Here, at the foot of the mountains the weather was still pleasant. Rosheen was quite sure they could catch a rabbit somewhere between the first and the second climb, and if not she remembered a little vale, not more than two hours walking from the place she intended to camp. They could survive a day or so on the supplies she’d brought. All together Rosheen wasn’t particularly worried about their survival. She’d done this before, after all, and she’d always enjoyed a bit of adventure.

She glanced back to the place where Nikos was tied to a tree, together with Talyn’s horse. Nikos would crush the first person he didn’t trust who came close, but just to be sure she’d paid a local sheepherder to check up on the horses every now and then to see to their every need. “They’ll be fine.†She muttered. They moved up the slope, and soon they had to step and leap from rock to rock. This was the easy part. Talyn did it with even less trouble than Rosheen. “I remember coming here every now and then with my parents.†She said. The trade caravan had gone just about everywhere, after all, and her parents had had a calm way of life. Never in too much of a rush to not stop early for the night, or leave hours after dawn if they had located a pleasant spot.

They arrived at the first real climb. “I’ll go up first.†Rosheen said, tying one end of her rope around her waist, and the other end around Talyn’s. She then took Talyn’s rope as well, tying it around her waist as securely as she did the other ropes. “Alright, that should do. I’m going to lead the way, and you make sure you follow no more than two body lengths behind me. I’m going to tie this loose end to places that look secure, and then climb further. This means that if I fall, I’m still attached to this rope, and when you fall, you’re still attached to me. When you reach the point where I tied the rope to the mountainside, you loosen it, and I’ll fasten it again a bit higher.†Rosheen stepped forward, searching for some decent handholds. When she’d found them she hoisted herself up. Moments later she was about six foot above the ground. “Make sure you place your weight exactly above your foot when you’re pushing yourself up.â€

Ooc: Why don’t you take Talyn and Rosheen up the first wall ;) I figured we could get the first one done with ease, and then have the accident at the second or third climb.

Talyn was use to climbing trees and ladders but to climb a wall of rock was exciting. Rosheen tied the two together and told him what to do. He listened intently. Talyn glanced up to the mountain side in awe, he wondered how high they would go.

Rosheen lead the way and Talyn followed slowly behind remember to stay close. The first slope wasn't very difficult, it had a minor slant to it that helped Talyn keep his balance. He reached the first tie off and made sure he had a good foot hold and hand hold before losing the rope, so they could go up higher.

The air was fresh as he took a deep breath, Talyn glanced to the side and saw the wonderous country before him. He wanted to thank the Great Lord for giving him this oppurtunity to see the land his master was destine to control. It was only a matter of time.

The first slope took them to the end of their rope four times before leveling out enough for them to stop and rest. "It sure is beautiful out here." Talyn said in awe, "I wish I could paint it." But having no artistic talent, he'd have to memorize it.

Talyn