DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The One Source & the True Source

jamesgun

Nomenclature, my friend, nomenclature.

The One Power (OP) is drawn from the True Source (TS), which drives the Wheel of Time. It is "good" in this world.

The True Power (TP) is what is drawn from the Dark One (DO), and is "evil" in this world. You gain access to the TP by the direct will of the Dark One. When you channel it, no one but the DO can sense you using it, aside from the obvious effects you create. Up until Rand had access, only Moridin was allowed to use the TP. Before that, we are told about 30 people had been given permission to use it.

Rand does currently have access to both the One Power and the True Power, but I don't know if he will be able to use the TP in his attempts to reseal the Bore. The DO allows its use, so if the DO knew it were being used against him, I would assume he would prevent the user from doing so.

So this is how the "good vs. evil" is personifed.

and rands struggle not to sucome to the DO. Even with temptation of this new power. It makes perfect sence "Once someelse explains it to you." Thanks. I have one more question. If Rand is Lews Therin could Rand be Lews Therin and Mordin?

So this is how the "good vs. evil" is personifed.

and rands struggle not to sucome to the DO. Even with temptation of this new power. It makes perfect sence "Once someelse explains it to you." Thanks. I have one more question. If Rand is Lews Therin could Rand be Lews Therin and Mordin?

The OP isnt the "good" power. Its just like fuel for a car. The TP however, is the essance of the DO. We have yet to see if there is a "Good" power.

As to the question.

Lews Therin and Rand are the same soul, Lews Therin does not exist as a sepaarate entity. He is a part of Rand's eternal soul.

Moridin is a completely different person.

Rj has said souls cannot be split.

So I have no idea how you thought this up, but a resounding no.

Edit: Sorry, that sounded a bit rude :). It was just I have never heard that theory before, took me by suprise.

But I realise your fairly new to the forums, if not the books themselves, so probably dont know all the soul splitting stuff.

So, welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for the very difinative answer!! Ive read all the books once. Something inside me wants to give Rand an edge. Something that will set his ability above the DO and the Forsaken. I have never had anyone too share The Wheel Of Time. with. So forgive my ignorance. I have all these ideas about the books. Im just looking for some answers.

Thanks for the very difinative answer!! Ive read all the books once. Something inside me wants to give Rand an edge. Something that will set his ability above the DO and the Forsaken. I have never had anyone too share The Wheel Of Time. with. So forgive my ignorance. I have all these ideas about the books. Im just looking for some answers.

No problem at all, trrust me we have all been new and ignorant. I feel bad, I didnt look to see that you were new.

I have put a few little pieces of advice on your introduction thread, they will help you get alot of useful information :)

Putting aside my rather dubious post, feel free to ask me anything. I am not a moderator, and ideally, they know way more than me, and I may be wrong in the answers I give, so i would really go for the mods with questions, but for what its worth, you know you can message me wtih any questions if you have the need :)

As for Rand having an edge. Well, look no further than tGS. He is a very powerful channeler. He isnt as ignorant of the world as he once was. Alot of people (in the WoT) underestimate Rand's ability. I wouldnt worry too much about our Dragon Reborn. I think he will somehow pull it off :)

Thats just it. I want to know how hes gonna pull it off before memories of light. I guess im looking for an edge not Rand

Well there are definitely weaknesses of the DO, and edges for Rand out there in the books.

But thats the fun of it isnt it?

If we already knew what was going to ahppen we wouldnt have to read it :smile:

Beware, jamesgun,. DMers will argue about anything, and sometimes you end up more confused than ever. :rolleyes:

Some stuff is outright numbing, and it doesn't help that it is canon. For eg, did you know that the Forsaken are not really immortal? They will age and die. They get transmigrated into new bodies, if they're "good". Or that balefire doesn't destroy your soul? :sammy:

Ok a new theory, ive been poking around a little bit and this is what ive (incorrectly im sure) come up with. Rand and Moridin are linked after helping the DR cleanse sadin. Its because of this link that the DR is able to use the True Power. Even with out the DOs permission. Aright if the male half of the One Power is clean and the DR seizes it and has it taken away by Lews Therin (which has happened) then could Rand draw on the True Power? Weilding both powers at the same time.

Ok a new theory, ive been poking around a little bit and this is what ive (incorrectly im sure) come up with. Rand and Moridin are linked after helping the DR cleanse sadin. Its because of this link that the DR is able to use the True Power. Even with out the DOs permission. Aright if the male half of the One Power is clean and the DR seizes it and has it taken away by Lews Therin (which has happened) then could Rand draw on the True Power? Weilding both powers at the same time.

1. Moridin and Rand are linked after the Balefires cross streams in Shadar Logoth when Rand was chasing Sammael, that was two books before the cleansing.

2. We dont know that the DO didnt give permission. It is possible that it was the link, but also possible the DO betrayed Semirhage as she thinks to hurt Rand. TP use has consequences.

3. I am nto sure if you have read tGS, so ill say, read that for more information on Lews Therin.

Without tGS spoilers, as I am unsure if you have read it, the answer is no, it is highly unlikely to impossible. Sorry :biggrin:

Regardless of how accesses the TP, whether though permission or the link, I do wonder if it would be possible to wield both the OP and TP at the same time. They always talk about how using Saidin is like walking on a razors edge, i would say that using the TP at the same time as Saidin would be overwhelming.

Regardless of how accesses the TP, whether though permission or the link, I do wonder if it would be possible to wield both the OP and TP at the same time. They always talk about how using Saidin is like walking on a razors edge, i would say that using the TP at the same time as Saidin would be overwhelming.

I dont think it is possible physically to do. Even if it WAS technically possible to draw on both at once, mentally, id agree with you, it would be too much for anyone to deal with. Saidin by itself is, as you say, walking on the razors edge, the TP even more so. I doubt that anyone could hold both simultaniously without being swept away in seconds.

Archived