DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Future of Rand and Aviendha in TOM

A Trite Pun

I think we are all forgetting that when Rand bonded his three lovlies, they could feel how he felt about them, and he loved them all identically. If RJ says he loves all three the same, I believe him. No matter how WE think Rand should feel about them. Just saying.

yes. but we love them all differently

Rand hit it off with Min first in Baerlon and although he wasn't in love they were good friends

Umm, no. Rand thought that Min was weird in Baerlon and avoided her and completely ignored her during the couple of months that they spent together between TGH and TDR. Him suddenly saying that Min was such a good friend and made him feel comfortable when she showed up in LoC felt very contrived to me. At least with the other 2, Rand was attracted to them pretty much from the get go.

Also, as has been mentioned, Min was so much around Ran, because she has no other goals or responsibilities in life. She is his Stepford wife. Even her study of philosophy started as something to kill time when she couldn't be with him.   

Umm, no. Rand thought that Min was weird in Baerlon and avoided her and completely ignored her during the couple of months that they spent together between TGH and TDR.

Well, he did think she was weird, there's no denying that, but I think he was also intrigued by her. And I don't think there's any evidence to be found that they weren't friends in between TGH and TDR. He certainly had dreams about her after that.

This has always been one of my favorite WoT subjects (Rand's romances). I'm not usually a romantic, but it's set up perfectly... it just never happens. In any case, here's my take on their relationships - I think his relationship with Aviendha is the most genuine. I feel like the relationship between he and Min, despite what many people say, is fairly unnatural. For one, Min has no other life but Rand. Secondly, I resent the fact that she used him in KoD to meet Semirhage, and basically caused Rand to lose his hand. She is completely dependent on Rand, and if you've noticed, her viewings have had less significance/frequency in the later books than before. Here's something interesting that probably won't happen, but I'd be fascinated by - what if Min dies? Rand probably has an emotional meltdown for about 2 minutes, then he enters the Void and goes on a killing rampage. But what about after that? Elayne and Aviendha would definitely feel it (because they'd feel his loss), and I'd have to think that they'd Travel to console him. However, Elayne is pregnant and having channeling problems, so Aviendha goes to him. Maybe they have depression sex and she gets pregnant. Anyway, I would be most fascinated by how the post-laughter Rand would react to that. Continue on.

personally I think that Avi and Elayne are awesomer than Min.

I too think that min felt contrived, rand was almost scared of her especially after she started yelling after him about 'you cant escape your destiny/me' bit that parralleled ishies speeches. then Rand wakes up and is confortable with min, it seems like a huge stretch (also I think I am forgettign a bit when he is awkward with min like he is with elayne/avi. although he did usually feel comfortable with avi, just unsure how she regarded him

personally I think that Avi is awesomer than Min.

I too think that min felt contrived, rand was almost scared of her especially after she started yelling after him about 'you cant escape your destiny/me' bit that parralleled ishies speeches. then Rand wakes up and is confortable with min, it seems like a huge stretch (also I think I am forgettign a bit when he is awkward with min like he is with elayne/avi. although he did usually feel comfortable with avi, just unsure how she regarded him

Again we agree. That's twice in one week, what foul sorcery is this?

(I may or may not have edited your post to suit my views, emphasis mine)

Anyways, I think(hope) Aviendha will ask to marry Rand and he'll agree because of his newly rediscovered humanity from Dragonmount. Then Aviendha doesn't accept Min as a sister-wife and kills her in a knife fight. Painfully.

So does Min have to become a near-sister to Elayne and Aviendha to marry Rand, or what? I wouldn't mind it if the two of them married Rand, and she was just like wait what about me?, and Rand's like You can be my mistress. Yes, I realize that I didn't put quotes in that.

I don't think so. There's no evidence that people have to be near-sisters in order to be sister-wives. It probably happens like that more often than not - it's clear that in some relationships, like with Bain/Chaid/Gaul, it is the relationship between the women that is what results in a three-way marriage, rather than the man being equally in love with both of them. The fact that woman has to ask the man probably makes it more likely, too - it's more likely that if two women aren't close, they would compete for the man's attention/affection rather than deciding to share him. As far as I understand it, becoming near-sisters is something that two women have to do because it is more important to them than anything else, because they really want that relationship with each other, not because they want to be married to the same man. I think the two ceremonies are completely separate things.

I think the three girls will survive this series, or at least longer than Rand, since Min had a viewing of them all around his funeral bier. I'm hoping he's not actually dead... but that's a different discussion. I feel like this indicates none of the girls will die. But RJ could have thrown that in there just to trick us :)

Archived