DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Death of Lanfear/Cyndane theory?

I am posting some like this in order to try to dispell any crazy theories there are floating about using only quotes RJ and Brandon has provided for us.

THis one has two parts.

1. First I will adress the fact that some people do not believe Cyndane is Lanfear (who clearly is)

2. The strange theory (Dida is the only one as far as I know, but ill try and kill it anyway) that Lanfear will help Rand with the who Callendor and 2 other women theory.

SO first off.

RJ's blog 4 October 2005 "ONE MORE TIME"

- For Sidious, when Alivia faced Cyndane, Alivia was by far the stronger because of her angreal, and had various tools (ter’angreal) to work with besides, but Cyndane was much, much more knowledgeable about channeling.  Alivia, after all, knew relatively little except how to be a weapon.  That was very useful in the situation, but in this case, knowledge versus strength made it an even match.

It is not in itself proof, but it suggests that Cyndane is not just a random person. Note the much, much more knowledgeable. Not just a bit, but much more. Suggesting that the obvious is true, Lanfear is Cyndane.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Scottsdale Public Library, Phoenix Arizona 16 November 2009 - kcf reporting

Q: Where did Cyndane’s new body come from?

A: Where have any of the new bodies come from?

He then mentioned that it’s not confirmed who Cyndane is, though he didn’t refute me when we all said that it’s pretty certain.

Disregarding the last sentance (thats pure speculation) lets look at what his answer is. "Where have any of the NEW bodies come from?

Key word being NEW, suggesting that Cyndane is a transmitigated soul, who else but Lanfear?

Matt: So, we will understand then in the next book why there is a decrease in Power but not a significant decrease?

Brandon: Yes.

Matt: Ok, so that being said there are some theories out there that in the Age of Legends, at one point, Lanfear might have…

Brandon: ...let’s just say I have not said that Lanfear and Cyndane are the same person.

Matt: Oh, absolutely, I’m jumping to this other Forsaken that we are talking about…

Brandon: …this other completely different person…Uh huh…

Ok, once again this is not proof, and Brandon did not actually say Lanfear is Cyndane, as it states, but look at the tone and wording of the conversation. Just a little snippet to sway the argument.

Okay, time to post about Cyndane for you Theorylanders. I have been discussing with Maria all day. She and I have different opinions on some things in the notes, but she has convinced me that she is right. I believed that there were some issues with her Power level—the Dark One playing tricks to keep everyone guessing—but Maria convinced me her Power really is what it seems. So you can disregard my comment about her being really, really weak and stick with the word I used earlier—"weakened."  

note the last sentance. particularly the word "weakened". Now, Cyndane is stronger than Graendal (her own PoV), a relatively rare feat for all except Semirhage and Lanfear. Semi isnt dead at this point, but Lanfear is. And she is reborn as Cyndane. So, what other character can be "weakened" and still be stronger than Graendal. Obvious answer. Lanfear.

Also, the word "weakened" suggests that this was not her normal state, not some entirely new person.

The Path of Daggers book tour 14 November 1998, Louisville, KY - Matthew Hunter reporting

"Do you consider the identities of Moridin and Cyndane to be intuitively obvious?"  He said yes, they should be fairly obvious by now, in many more words.

Now if that doesnt say Lanfear is Cyndane (at least in part, ill leave the Moiraine/Lanfear theory well alone for now) then Ill eat my hat.

Edit: Ohh, I forgot the second part, well here it is.

Letter to Carolyn Fusinato from RJ - 1 February 1994

Lanfear holding back and doing good for Rand's sake? Ha! She was psychically fixed on possessing a man who never loved her. Even with that, her desire for Rand was as much a desire for power as for him. To be the one to deliver the Dragon Reborn to the service of the Shadow; that would set her above the other Forsaken. And learning that the access ter'angreal for the two huge sa'angreal were still in existence....Sure, she wanted his love--not least because it had been denied her; Lanfear was a woman who claimed a right to anything she wanted--wanted his devotion, but even more than his body, Lanfear wanted power, the power possibly to replace the Dark One, even to replace the Creator. For Rand's sake? Not a chance.

Now does anyone really think Lanfear will help Rand?

You missed the evidence from the books.  I posted it in another thread, and am coping it here to make this page more complete.

From Winter's Heart:

[Cyndane] could feel it.  That much of saidar being drawn to one spot was a beacon that any woman in the world who could channel would feel and locate.  So he had found a woman to use the other access key.  She would have faced the Great Lord - faced the Creator! - with him.  She would have shared the power with him, let him rule the world at her side. And he had spurned her!.

From The Shadow Rising Lanfear told Rand:

Two great sa'angreal were made just before the end, one that you can use, one that I can.  Far greater than that sword.  Their power is beyond imagining.  With those, we could challenge even...the Great Lord himself.  Even the Creator!

and again from Winter's Heart:

Abruptly the light of saidar appeared around the woman, but the ready ball of fire streaked from Cyndane's hand, small enough to escape detection she hoped, but enough to burn a hole through this woman who-

Just as it reached the woman, almost close enough to singe her garments, the web of Fire unraveled.  The woman did not do anything; the net simply came apart! Cyndane had never heard of a ter'angreal that would break a web, but it must be that.

Then the woman struck back at her, and she suffered her second shock.  She was stronger than Cyndane had been before the Aelfinn and Eelfin had held her!

You missed the evidence from the books.  I posted it in another thread, and am coping it here to make this page more complete.

From Winter's Heart:

[Cyndane] could feel it.  That much of saidar being drawn to one spot was a beacon that any woman in the world who could channel would feel and locate.  So he had found a woman to use the other access key.  She would have faced the Great Lord - faced the Creator! - with him.  She would have shared the power with him, let him rule the world at her side. And he had spurned her!.

From The Shadow Rising Lanfear told Rand:

Two great sa'angreal were made just before the end, one that you can use, one that I can.  Far greater than that sword.  Their power is beyond imagining.  With those, we could challenge even...the Great Lord himself.  Even the Creator!

and again from Winter's Heart:

Abruptly the light of saidar appeared around the woman, but the ready ball of fire streaked from Cyndane's hand, small enough to escape detection she hoped, but enough to burn a hole through this woman who-

Just as it reached the woman, almost close enough to singe her garments, the web of Fire unraveled.  The woman did not do anything; the net simply came apart! Cyndane had never heard of a ter'angreal that would break a web, but it must be that.

Then the woman struck back at her, and she suffered her second shock.  She was stronger than Cyndane had been before the Aelfinn and Eelfin had held her!

I appreciate it, but the point of the post is that everyone has read the books, and the theory still persists, so posting evidence from the Books isnt really going to change it. So i use quotes from RJ and Brandon to back it up.

However, I appreciate the sentiment :)

Here is the quotes that I found:

"Most people know that the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west". - Stanford SOLAR Center, 2005

"East - The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to rise at the equinox" - 2010 BrainyMedia.com   

"The sun always rises in the East and sets in the West" - WikiAnswers.

So it must be true that sun rises on the east.  ;D And all those facts (who looks in the window anyway?) or books (I don't need no stinking book to tell me what I want think!) be damned :P

I appreciate it, but the point of the post is that everyone has read the books, and the theory still persists, so posting evidence from the Books isnt really going to change it. So i use quotes from RJ and Brandon to back it up.

However, I appreciate the sentiment :)

I've seen too many people support theories that have only been debunked outside of the series simply because RJ was mistaken or being misleading.

Archived