DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Learning to Fly? attn: MoT

Matalina

Aeronwy had made the trip on her sturdy mare Anna.  The glory of the White Tower was astounding, it gleamed from miles away.  It was just amazing.  Aeronwy stopped to stare in awe before moving on towards those gleaming walls.  Jake flew above her head he was enjoying flying, he always did.  What was he going to do in a city, confined in a city?  Jake was not comfortable in a city and neither was Aeronwy.  But they would get by, they always did.  It was necessary to stay in towns and cities for periods of time.  But the rest of her life?  Aeronwy stopped Anna at that thought, what would she do in a city forever. 

But it didn't last long, she knew that the man she'd seen was able to leave the city.  Aeronwy wondered if she would even be accepted, she was not a sword type warrior, she was ranged and her bow was her best friend.  Not a sword.  She could pick it up but that was not what she had learned.  Aeronwy patted the bow sitting across the pommel of Anna's saddle. 

Aeronwy made her way up to the gates and through the gates.  There was a giant stairs case up into the grand building that was the White Tower.  She did not think that was the way to go.  She turned and went down the path around the building.  She could hear the clash of practice swords and sometimes even the clanging of real swords.  She smiled, that sounded like home, or as near enough that she smiled.  Her and her brothers and grown up practicing their bows, and potions and training of birds.  Jake flew above her, well above the city scape.  He wouldn't come down until Aeronwy gave the signal.  It was Aeronwy's turn to learn to fly.

She asked a pair sparring where she could go to sign up for training.  They pair pointed her in the direction of the Mistress of Trainee's office.  Aeronwy tied up Anna to a poll and went inside the building.  She knocked on the inidcated door and waited for an answer.

Thera's curls were matted to her head and she was dreaming of a cool bath.Her day was already too full and there was no break in site. With the tournamnet over there was more paperwork than she'd seen in months piled on her desk.

When the knock sounded on the door Thera growled. This was not the time to interupt her.

"Enter, and you had better have a damn good excuse for bugging me today." Tossing down her quill she ran her finger through her curls and straightened her jacket; her hawk like eyes taking in the young woman who enetered her office.

She knew right away it was a new trainee.

Aeronwy was surprised by the entrance command, she skirted in trying not to look like too much trouble.  The office didn't look like she'd imagined it would, but then what should it look like.  Papers on a desk were not what she was expecting but why it was another surprise she wasn't sure, she should have expected anything really, but she had.  There was probably going to be a lot of broken expectations.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but I'm looking for the Mistress of Trainees tp see if I can enroll in the yards for training.  I have experience with weapons, mainly the short bow and various other things.  I hope I'm not wasting your time. And I'm hoping you can assist me."  Aeronwy was sure this was the Mistress of Trainees, but she wasn't going to make that assumption either.  She'd already made too may assumptions and her expectations weren't being met, but why there were what they were she wasn't sure.

"Yes, You have come to the right place" Thera walked around her desk and motioned to her chair. 'Sit sit." Leaning back against the edge of her desk and looked the new arrival up and down. "Experience with weapons is not the only thing you will need to survive here."

"We train only the best, and to learn to be the best you must first be willing to admit that you know nothing. You are mearly a child here until you have been deemed to be more." Thera's tone was even and her voice was sure. She'd given speeches like this 100 times and she knew that either the trainee would accept or they would not. "If you feel like you can follow directions and have a passion to learn then you may sign your name in the books."

Reaching behind her she opened up the large leather bound book that held the names off all the trainee's going back to even her days as a trainee. The older volumes lined the walls; she opened the book to the newest page and waited for the girl to confirm her desire to stay.

Once her name was signed and the ink was dry Thera offered to show her to the barracks.

Aeronwy was a bit taken aback by the woman's words.  It was something to be blunt like that but it was the actual words that got her.  To become a child?  To know nothing?  That might be a problem.

Aeronwy thought about it.  She wasn't sure if this was what she wanted.  But the Mistress of Trainee's waited patiently for Aeronwy to decide, but the open book and quill full of ink were disturbing.  It was like she already knew the answer before Aeronwy herself.

Aeronwy hesitantly reached for the quill, still unsure of herself, but this was something she wanted to try, at least until something better came along, she hoped.  But freedom would someday be available.  Jake and Anna will take a while to adjust, but Jake would love the freedom to fly where he wanted when he wanted.  Aeronwy would have to find time to work with him so he didn't go soft on his training. 

Aeronwy signed her name with out flourish.  When offered to be shown the barracks she declined.  "That's okay I'll find it on my own, if you can give me directions. I don't want to take up any more of your time."

Aeronwy took the directions and asked for permission to leave, it was better to fall into the semblance of obedience right away, she smiled and left with a new life.