DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Soldier's son trilogy

Hallow

Having finished the Farseer trilogy and The Tawny Man trilogy (currently reading Liveship traders) I was wondering whether the Soldier's son trilogy was as good/better than the rest of Hobbs books?

Appreciate any answers :D

As usual she makes her "hero" suffer. Beautifully written and fairly interesting, in my opinion not as good as the two series you mention. Mainly because I didn't like the main charcter, to me he just seemed a bit of a wimp feeling sorry for himself. Although I didn't manage to read the last book, but heard from my friend it wasn't all that.

I loved all of Hobb's first three trilogies, and I was so excited for the Soldier Son trilogy that I bought the first book in hardcover. Big mistake. I hated that book, and I resented spending that much money on a complete dud. I'm now very wary of buying another Hobb book.

Same as Lilbaz only read first two. There worth a read though. Haven't read anything like them. One scene in the first book really sticks out for me when the main guy is on the steamer headin to the big city and a wind wizard, at least I think that what he was called, is sailing downstream on a leaf or something and guys from the boat shoot at him and ultimatrly kill him. Very sad. Something in their about technology and nature and how man is losing his the more he relies on technology.

The first was... Decent. Not terribly good, but not appallingly bad, either. The second managed to reach "bad" - it was pretty much a one-note story on how much the protagonist hated himself. The third redeemed the series for me: it was actually very good, if not up to the standards of some of her other books.

To me, the Dragon Keeper duology was much more disappointing. She sets up an interesting journey, possibilities for discovery and conflict and perhaps genuine growth... And does nothing. Even the character development in places seems forced, which is a shame.

Archived