DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Per Chance to Meet (attn: Daroth)

Christine

What a day... she two trainees had decided it would be fun to spar over some Aes Sedai, more than likely a green, that they had seen in the yard. They both wanted her, and immediately decided to fight over her. When would the trainees realise that: one, no Aes Sedai was going to drop their current "pillow friend" for a child of 16 or 17, and, two, that no Aes Sedai would ever be interested in a boy foolish enough to fight for her. Still they fought... perhaps she should teach a class on that, because she was bloody tired of breaking up fights and getting hit a few times because of it. Light, who would have thought that scrawny Daved could punch that bloody hard. Of course, he was probably still in the infrmary for the black eye she gave him, but that was no where near as bad as the broken nose and lost tooth that Cardon was dealing with. Bloody trainee.

At least she wasnt teaching anymore. Light, that was definitly a blessed thing. When Braxton had finally been taken to Tower Guard only a few months before, she had thanked the light and begged that it never happen again. She had begged Ginae, and promised to take on a trainee as punishment if she fould up... and she hadnt fouled up. There had been no drinking, no men, no parties, no fights, and no trouble. She had even said "yes, ma'am" to Ginae, and she looked as if she was going to have a heart attack from that one. Deneira would have poked fun about the look, but she didnt want to teach. Light, she just wanted to sleep and do guard and avoid trouble. And life had become boring.

The more that days went by, Deneira was slipping more and more into wondering and questioning life. After moving out of Shawn's room and realising that Alriand still wanted nothing with her, Deneira stopped trying to be serious with men and stuck to casual dating with the occasional guard and random merchant's guard. She had even slipped in with a lord for a time, but once his group moved onto a city, she had been alone again. Her nights had been spent with drinking, and life was just dull. With the loss of all the fun she had, which got her in trouble, days ran together and her nights were sleepless. What was the point of things? What were the answers to life? How could one truly be happy? What would happen in the future? So many questions, but no one to ask.

In the past few weeks, Deneira had started going up to the library in the tower library, watching girls and women reading books and and studying and writing. The browns had stopped staring at her, and had accepted her, but none said a word, and Deneira didnt want to talk. She wanted to read. She wanted to write. She wanted to learn, and to know. She wanted to ask, and then be answered... but who would teach a 24, almost 25 year old Tower Guard with no prospects of bonding, marrying, or children. She was an odd one, someone that no one, not even she herself, understood, and while it didnt bother anyone, it was still a thought in their minds.

And so, to the point in proper time. She was breaking the rules, sitting in a bar, drinking, but Ginae couldnt get mad about this one. There was no way she would find out. There was tops 20 people in the inn, including the people upstairs in rooms, the cooks in the kitchen, and the drunken band. No one knew her, and she wasnt getting drunk to party, but getting drunk because she was depressed. Even the ale burned as it slipped down the back of her throat. How much worse could the day get?

After a long journey through Caemlyn, Daroth found himself at the gates of the great city Tar Valon. He wiped the sweat off his brow and smiled to himself. This was where he planned to make his future, his life; or so he hoped. Daroth walked around in awe at the city, it was everything he had imagined and more. Most of the people wore clothes nicer than any he owned, and the women, more beautiful. Daroth had run into a few people by staring too hard at some of the ladies. Luckily the men had only muttered under their breath before moving on, giving Daroth only a sparing glance which he was grateful for.

Daroth walked about the city all day, taking it in. He was unaware of the time before the sun started going down. He had wanted to go to the tower today, but it was too late for that now. Tomorrow would be just as well as today, he looked in his weathered pack and pulled a small pouch out. A small jingling lit his face up, he would have more than enough to pay for a place to stay tonight.

Strapping his pack back on, he shoved the pouch in a pocket, keeping a tight hold on it. Daroth asked a young man where he could find the nearest inn, and smiled cheerfully as the boy pointed just across the street. Crossing it quickly, Daroth entered the inn and went immediately to the bar. His stomach growled hungrily and he noticed it for the first time, he had eaten nothing all day. He sat down next to a lady, and ordered a steak. Daroth chuckled to himself as he looked around, eyeing the band. The steak was gone as quickly as it came, and he wiped his mouth with cloak while looking up at the bartender curiously.

“Where would one find more information about joining the Tower, as a warder?â€

"BARTENDER! I need another ale!" The bartender took one glance at her, and she raised a gold tar valon coin. He came over and took it before slowly pouring her another ale. Yes, she was drunk, but she didnt care. She just wanted another drink. Taking a long swig of it, she set it back on the bar before leaning back, picking at a spot on her pants.

A lad walked in and sat beside her, and she only gave him a glance. He ordered a steak, and she shuddered in her boots. Light, why would anyone eat that nasty stuff? Only a salad and fruit for her, it was healthy and kept her fit without too many runs around the track. Light, ten years ago she would have loved to eat meat and run or swim, but she had just lost the want and need to do so. Old age was certainly kicking in.

He wolfed down the meat and wiped off his mouth before calling out and asking, “Where would one find more information about joining the Tower, as a warder?†Deneira bloody near almost fell from her chair, and the bartender shook his head, walking off. The boy stared at her in shock, and she hit her forehead. Light, this was not gonna be a good evening.

"Are you sure you want to go? Reconsider... it is a big decision. I suggest you turn around, lad, and go back to your mommy before you try to join a group like us." Light, had she said us? She needed more control on her tongue. "Can't even bloody drink!" For the love of salvation, couldnt she control her tongue? "I dont think anyone should throw their youth away to training and slaving just to slip into nothingness."

His jaw had dropped, and she mentally smacked herself. "If you want to join the tower, then you will be a trainee. Give me ten pushups now, and then give me three reasons for wanting to join the bloody gaidin." He was still staring at her, and she glanced at the floor and pointed. "I am a bloody Tower Guard, and you are a TRAINEE! DO IT! It doesnt matter if i am drunk or not!"

The words had barely exited his mouth when the lady sitting next to him abruptly seemed to convulse. Daroth looked over at her for a moment opening his mouth slightly, and saw the bartender turn away with his peripheral vision. Putting his gaze at the bartender's back, he muttered under his breath at his dismissal of the question.

"Are you sure you want to go? Reconsider... it is a big decision. I suggest you turn around, lad, and go back to your mommy before you try to join a group like us."

Us? Daroth did not think there was such a thing as a female warder, but he did not want to seem foolish in front of one so he just smiled. "You are a warder? Where can I find out..." He trailed off as she began spewing out nonsensical things. Daroth stared at her in awe for a while, questioning the intelligence of speaking with this lady, let alone trusting her. But she was his only contact from the tower at the moment, and if she was telling the truth, it would be unwise to upset her.

"If you want to join the tower, then you will be a trainee. Give me ten pushups now, and then give me three reasons for wanting to join the bloody gaidin."

Daroth's mouth opened at the order she had barked at him. Push ups..on an inn floor? What an absurd thing, especially with all the people around and bustle, he would probably get kicked in the face.

"I am a bloody Tower Guard, and you are a TRAINEE! DO IT! It doesnt matter if i am drunk or not!"

Oh what the hell, he thought. Daroth got out of his seat and lowered his body to the floor, rolling his eyes. Easily pushing out 10 of them he got up and stared at her hard in the eyes. "I want to learn how to fight," he touched the hilt of his blade and glanced at it quickly, "and I can't go home..not after I just left like that." His eyes searched the room for anything but contact with hers, "And if I went home, there would be nothing for me there.."

Daroth tightened his hands into fists and looked up at her, "I will be a warder one day, with your help or not."

• 1 month later...

The boy got on the floor and began doing pushups, and Deneira could hardly pay attention. Grabbing onto a chair, she watched him through blurry eyes. Just catching the bit about being a warder one day, she laughed again. "Fine, go join those Aes Sedai, but watch your back, boy, they are all a lot of trouble."

"Well, if you are bent on going there, lets see what we can do, eh?" She grabbed the boys shirt and began walking through Tar Valon towards the tower. Getting into the Warders Yard, Deneira realised that if Ginae saw her in this state, she would be in serious trouble. "DENEIRA L'SPADA!" Light! How did Ginae already know it was her? Turning around with the boy, Deneira dropped him and crossed her arms over her chest. "Yes Ginae?" "Shut up, child." Deneira wanted to scream. Was she always just going to be a child?

Ginae delt with the new brat for a few minutes, and they spoke in hushed tones while Deneira waited for her turn. Eventually, Ginae turned to her with a cruel smile. "You are his mentor. Get to it"

Light...