DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Uncharted [Movie]

Krakalakachkn

David O. Russell ("Three Kings," "I Heart Huckabees") is among several filmmakers who've apparently met with Sony Pictures over potentially directing the video game adaptation "Uncharted" for the studio reports The L.A. Times.

Joshua Oppenheimer and Thomas Dean Donnelly ("Sahara," "Dead of Night") penned a film adaptation of the critically acclaimed PS3 game series which follows fortune hunter Nathan Drake and his quest for famed archaeological treasures. Though the concept sounds familiar, the smart execution and witty script often raised it above the level of many other titles of its kind.

The studio and producer Chuck Roven are apparently so pleased with the writing duo's efforts thus far, the project is being quickly moved forward and the director meetings have already begun in earnest. Sony apparently thought of trying to rush the project to have it ready for next Summer, though that's looking less likely now.

• 5 months later...

After being linked to the project back in May and then dropping out in August, filmmaker David O. Russell ("Three Kings," "I Heart Huckabees") is not just back in the running but is now set to to tackle a film adaptation of the video game series "Uncharted" for Sony Pictures.

In a press release from the studio, Russell is confirmed to be both directing and writing the project, sprucing up a previously penned draft by Joshua Oppenheimer and Thomas Dean Donnelly ("Sahara").

The critically acclaimed PS3 game series follows fortune hunter Nathan Drake and his quest for famed archaeological treasures. Though the concept sounds familiar (ie. "Tomb Raider," "Indiana Jones"), the smart execution, clever scripting and witty voice performances often raised it above the level of many other titles of its kind.

2007's "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" was the breakout first hit game of the PS3 and has sold around 2.6 million copies thus far. 2009's sequel "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" was the single most critically acclaimed video game of the year on any format according to Metacritic and a major commercial success with more than 3.8 million copies of the game sold worldwide.

Avi Arad, Charles Roven, Ari Arad, and Alex Gartner will produce the project which will likely be a Summer 2012 tentpole for the studio.

Nathan Fillion calls out to all his fans!

"Castle" and "Firefly" star Nathan Fillion has tweeted fans to help him get cast as Nathan Drake in the upcoming video game adaptation "Drake's Fortune" for Sony Pictures.

On the surface the 39-year-old Canadian actor seems a perfect fit - he's got charisma to burn, an established fan base (650,000 followers on Twitter alone), he can convincingly pull off the action stunts required, he has a physical resemblance to the character, and his onscreen sense of humour is very similar to Drake.

The only catch, aside from Fillion's hectic "Castle" production schedule, could be age. The film is seen as the first of a franchise and so the studio will usually go for someone younger (late 20's/early 30's) which also seems to be the game character's age.

That approach can backfire though, look at the derision "Superman Returns" received for casting 22-year-old Kate Bosworth as a Pulitzer Prize-winning veteran journalist complete with a pre-teen kid. Fillion is also much closer to the real age of any person in Drake's profession.

The critically acclaimed PS3 game series follows fortune hunter Nathan Drake and his quest for famed archaeological treasures. Though the concept sounds familiar (ie. "Tomb Raider," "Indiana Jones"), the smart execution, clever scripting and witty voice performances often raised it above the level of many other titles of its kind.

David O. Russell ("Three Kings") directs the project which will likely be a Summer 2012 tentpole for the studio.

• 1 month later...

I agree Egwene, and so far it looks like they're taking their time to make it great.

Wahlberg confirms to MTV that he'll play Nathan Drake, saying “David [O. Russell] is one of the best writer/directors I’ve ever worked with. The idea that he has [for Uncharted] is just insane. So hopefully we’ll be making that movie this summer.”

What's doubly surprising is his potential co-stars - Scorsese's favourite duo Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. Wahlberg says “That’s who he wants to write the parts for. I talked to Pesci about it and I know David’s people have talked to [Robert De Niro]...The idea of it is so off the charts: De Niro being my father, Pesci being my uncle. It’s not going to be the watered-down version, that’s for sure."

This is very surprising as the Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider-esque adventures have made no mention of Drake's family. In fact Russell's "idea" will be to set part of the film against the backdrop of the world of New York antiques, something that quite frankly sounds like bearing little relation to the game series.

Yeah, so this sounds bad.

If you started getting nervous about the forthcoming Uncharted movie when we got an idea of its cast last week, you may want to avert your gaze from this story. Director David O. Russell has started discussing the script he's working on, and it's pretty well removed from the relatively simple treasure-hunting tales of the first two games.

Speaking to the L.A. Times, Russell revealed that he wants to expand the scope of the film beyond Nathan Drake to include his extended family, "a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities...that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice." Russell explained how this greater story will play off the action:

"We'll have the family dynamic, which we've done in a couple of movies now. And then you take that and put it on the bigger, more muscular stage of an international action picture, but also put all the character stuff in it. That's a really cool idea to me."

Russell says he has the script half completed at this point, so some changes could still happen. Then again, he also says the project is moving along like "a locomotive," so be prepared for more potentially worrisome updates as it goes. The concept certainly doesn't sound inherently awful, but the further they move away from focusing on Drake and his roguish personality, the more concerned I'll be.

• 7 months later...

Russell is out, Burger is in.

"Limitless" and "The Illusionist" director Neil Burger is in negotiations to both write and direct the upcoming film adaptation of the acclaimed video game series "Uncharted" at Sony Pictures reports Variety.

Burger replaces David O. Russell who left the project in May after Russell’s plans for the films departed significantly from both the game and what the studio wanted. Burger delivered a new take which the producers sparked to.

With Russell out it's expected Mark Wahlberg will also no longer be involved. It has also raised the possibility of his "Limitless" star Bradley Cooper playing Nathan Drake.

Cooper as Drake, really?

Archived