DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Believe it! (attn: Sandrilene)

SerenaMorrigan

The din of the tavern seemed to move on in its chaotic orchestra around Serena and the couple she sat across from. The woman across from Serena's mouth moved as she protested the Blue sisters petition. The words no longer mattered. Obviously, no wife of a predominant member of the Children of the Light would want their child to be able to channel. However, such was the way with this woman's child.

"Child," Serena snuck in a word here and there. The woman seemed to hate being called a Child, but that is what she was to the Aes Sedai. In truth, and all actual fact, the woman was probably the age of what Serena's grandchildren's grandchildren would be, if she had any. "There is no need to discuss this matter any further. I believe your daughter can learn to channel and control the One Power. That is purely factual." Tilted emerald eyes moved from the girls mother to the girl, Sandrilene fa Toren. The potential novice had long auburn hair and blue eyes that seemed to change with every emotion. At this particular moment, she did NOT look happy.

"Sandrilene fa Toren, if my ability to sense the One Power in women is of any use, you can and will be brought to the White Tower in Tar Valon." The girl looked as if she were about to protest and Serena cut in. "I will not have anymore discussion about 'witches' and darkfriends with you or your family members." Putting up a small ivory hand as if to stop anymore words to flow from the fa Torens, it did not seem to stop anything.

Arguments shot from the Child of the Light, the Blue Sister knew that there was nothing she could say to the man. The White Tower had fought with the Children of the Light for so long Serena was exhausted from hearing the slander that came out of the mouths of this particular family.

Her emerald eyes grew fierce, and she glared at each member of the fa Toren family present. Her Aes Sedai calm was still painted across her face, but one could easily tell that she was not a happy woman at this point. "Well then, if she does not come with me, she will die. That is the long and short of it. In no time at all, your daughter will begin to weild the One Power by herself and find she is suffering from headaches and nausea, soon the sickness will overtake her and she will die. Is that what you want Master fa Toren? Do you succumb your child to death?"

The look in the young girls eyes changed to one of fear. It was not right to speak of what could happen to Sandrilene infront of her, but it seemed the only way for a message to be put across. Arching a dark eyebrow at Sandrilene's parents, Serena asked. "Or is it that you do not believe me that she will be able to channel one day?" With a flick of her wrist, the Blue Sister produced a dagger from her sleeve. On the hilt of the dagger shone a polished sapphire. "I will prove it to you if I must. Is that what you want?" Smoothly, she turned her head to face the girl. "Sandrilene, will you assist me then?"

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

Bonded to Thera Trakelyn

OOC: Is that alright?

Guest Sandrilene fa Toren

Sandry felt as if her world had been turned upon its head, as she sat listening to her parents arguing with the woman, no the witch, sitting across from them. She had said very little since her father’s arrival, nothing more in fact than to assure him that she had not clue what the witch was talking about and that she was still his good and Light obeying daughter.

Her head ached fiercely and from the way her stomach twisted and turned she felt that if she opened her mouth something quite a bit more unpleasant than words would come out. She just wanted this woman to leave them alone. "Sandrilene fa Toren, if my ability to sense the One Power in women is of any use, you can and will be brought to the White Tower in Tar Valon." Sandry opened her mouth to protest, but shut it quickly as she was cut off, "I will not have anymore discussion about 'witches' and darkfriends with you or your family members."

Sandry looked down at her hands in her lap as she heard her father begin to argue again with the Aes Sedai, this had to be the worse day of her life. Why couldn’t the woman just have left her alone? She had done nothing to attract her attention that she knew of, well maybe nothing, but really a witch like her so close to home was something to notice. Her brothers had always told her that the Aes Sedai’s most obvious mark was the serpent ring they wore and Sandry had always been an observant child. She had noticed the woman on their first night at the tavern and by the second night knew for certain that she was a Tar Valon witch; from then on Sandry had kept a close, and she thought discrete eye on her. Two nights after her mother and her arrival, after only one short day of what she thought would be seen by her father and brothers as a great service to the Light the Aes Sedai confronted them during dinner. At the worse the girl thought she would be upset about being watched by an incorrigible fifteen-year-old nuisance, she had not been prepared for the woman to make the claim she had.

“No daughter of mine will ever go along with one of your kind to be corrupted to serve the dark one. No daughter of mine will be a darkfriend! I won’t allow…†Sandry’s father cut off, "Well then, if she does not come with me, she will die.†Sandry’s head shot up and she felt her eyes widen as she looked across the table. “That is the long and short of it. In no time at all, your daughter will begin to wield the One Power by herself and find she is suffering from headaches and nausea, soon the sickness will overtake her and she will die. Is that what you want Master fa Toren? Do you succumb your child to death?" Sandry glanced at her father and mother as they set silently staring at the Aes Sedai. Slowly first her father, then her mother, turned to look at her; the fear and worry mingled in their eyes made her want to cry. Taking a deep breath she steeled herself and then met the Aes Sedai’s stare with as cold as the fear that gripped her heart.

"Or is it that you do not believe me that she will be able to channel one day?" With a flick of her wrist, the Blue Sister produced a dagger from her sleeve. Sandry felt her eyes widen. On the hilt of the dagger shone a polished sapphire. "I will prove it to you if I must. Is that what you want?" Smoothly, the Aes Sedai turned her head to face the Sandry. "Sandrilene, will you assist me then?"

Sandry swallowed and then glanced at her eldest brother as he rested a callused hand on her shoulders. He glanced at their father before giving her a little shrug, “Get it over with and prove this…†he gave the Aes Sedai a weary glance then continued, “…this woman that you are not what she says you are.†Sandry nodded, and then after a quick glance at her parents reassured by their looks that they too believed that the Aes Sedai was wrong. She looked back at the Aes Sedai then found herself looking at the sapphire intently, “what do you want me to do?â€

Nodding, Serena pursed her lips and patted the chair beside her. "Come sit next to me, for I will need your full attention." At last, the girl got up and sat next to the Aes Sedai. "Good. Now, close your eyes and try to concentrate only on my voice. Shut out the din in the background and calm yourself." It might have been a hard task to do, especially with the circumstances the way they were, but Sandrilene seemed to obey almost right away. Most likely, she is trying to prove me wrong... A light ignited behind Serena's eyes as she knew that she was right.

"Concentrate only on the sound of my voice, Sandrilene. Feel all of your thoughts drift except one. Think of the sapphire stone on the hilt of my dagger. Think of it's shape and colour, the smoothness of it. As you turn the stone over in your mind, look through it, be a part of it. Think of how it would feel in your hand, and it's texture." As the Blue Sisters voice droned on, as she described the sapphire more and more to the girl, she could feel Sandrilene calming herself.

First, the sapphire blinked quickly and went out. Instead of stopping the girl from thinking of the stone, she urged her on. Within moments, the stone was alight for several minutes at a time. Placing a hand on Sandry's she gently urged the girl to hold the image of the stone in her mind and open her eyes to see for herself. "The One Power is alive in you, Child. This stone blinks every time you come close to Saidar." A knowing smile spread across the Aes Sedai's face. "There is no proof but what you have shown here today. No one has made this happen, except for the Creator and the power you hold within you. You must come to the White Tower with me."

Again, the Saldaean Sister arched her eyebrow at the fa Toren's. "Do you see now?"

Serena MOrrigan

Blue Ajah

BOnded to Thera Trakelyn

"Come sit next to me, for I will need your full attention." After a moments hesitation in which Sandry wondered if she couldn’t just rise and bolt for the door before anyone could stop her she decided against it and took the seat next to the Aes Sedai. "Good. Now, close your eyes and try to concentrate only on my voice. Shut out the din in the background and calm yourself." Sandry took a deep breath and shut her eyes focusing on ignoring the rustle of her mothers skirts, the way her quiver dug into the side of her trouser covered legs, the smell of cooking food wafting from the kitchen.

"Concentrate only on the sound of my voice, Sandrilene. Feel all of your thoughts drift except one. Think of the sapphire stone on the hilt of my dagger.†Taking another deep breath Sandry tried to keep her mind focused as asked, but quickly felt the fear begin to ebb into her thoughts. Clinching her fists she tried again, and again worry broke her concentration.

“Think of it's shape and color, the smoothness of it. As you turn the stone over in your mind, look through it, be a part of it. Think of how it would feel in your hand, and it's texture." Finally she remembered something she had learned some time ago that might help her focus—the calming technique her brother Corin had taught her while teaching her to shoot her bow. She felt her breathing slow as she forced all thought from her mind, she let the worry and doubt, the fear, and all the other un-namable things that filled her mind flow away. At that moment she could feel herself relax for the first time since first seeing the Aes Sedai.

She could hear the Aes Sedai continuing to describe the jewel but she hardly felt like she was listening, it was as if the jewels every edge, fleck of color, flaw and perfection were known to her as well as the arrows she made to specifically fit her bow. She knew everything there was to know about the stone before the Aes Sedai even finished half her description. She could feel the clam and knowing settling on her completely. It felt similar to the moment before she would take the shot that she was sure would hit the center of the target—similar—but not the same exactly.

It seemed only moments before Sandry felt a hand rest gently on her own as she heard the Aes Sedai telling her to keep the image of the stone in her mind, as if she could ever forget it, but to also open her eyes. That was quick, Sandry thought; finally, this can all be over! As she slowly opened her eyes she sought her parents not even sparing a glance for the stone. Why bother? she thought, I already know what it looks like—it’s image was still firmly set in her mind—and there is no way I could have done what she thought I would in so little time.

As her eyes met her fathers she realized something was very wrong. She looked next at Corin where he stood beside their mother the way he was clutching the bow he had made her for her birthday made her think he might snap it in two. Finally she looked to her mother whose head simply rested between her hands as if she had a headache. Shock made Sandry’s eyes widen as she swung her head back to look at the jewel, and for the first time she realized that it was glowing.

Sandry felt sick to her stomach as she heard the Aes Sedai say, "The One Power is alive in you, Child. This stone blinks every time you come close to Saidar." The girl just stared between the Aes Sedai and the stone for a moment, and then, as if struck out of her stupor, she felt something change within her. Prior to the Aes Sedai’s comment she had still felt that calm feeling, she had still held the image of the jewel in the back of her mind even as she processed what the looks on her families faces must mean. But, as the Aes Sedai spoke Sandry felt her calm shatter and the jewel went dark again.

As she tried to stop herself from throwing up all over the table and tavern floor Sandry heard the Aes Sedai say, “There is no proof but what you have shown here today. " She looked up at the woman swallowing hard, a knowing smile spread across the Aes Sedai's face, and as if sensing what Sandry might say next she said, “No one has made this happen, except for the Creator and the power you hold within you. You must come to the White Tower with me."

Sandry looked up at her parents weakly begging them to do something. Again, she found the Aes Sedai uncannily able to read her mind as the woman glanced at the fa Torens and said, "Do you see now?" Sandry tried to open her mouth, tried to make sound come out of it, tried to say anything to explain to her parents that she had not meant this to happen. Looking down at her hands clenched in her lap she tried to figure out something to help them to stop this witch from taking her away, but nothing came to her. Her father could not allow her to return to the Fortress of the Light, not if she was a… what was she now? Surely not one of the Tar Valon witches… Light, what was going to happen to her.

She heard a chairs scrape against the floor as first one then two people stood, “Come Kiera we are leaving.†Sandry’s head shot up as she looked up at her father standing before her supporting her weeping mother. “Aes Sedai I will give you until tomorrow at noon to be far from here. If you are not you will find yourself in the hands of the Children of the Light.†Sandry did not see or hear if the Aes Sedai responded she was to shocked to do anything but stare as her father and mother turned their backs to her and walked out of the Tavern.

Feeling more alone and helpless that she had ever felt in her whole life she shakily rose to her feet and looked at Corin standing so proud and strong in his white cloak and uniform. Setting her bow on the table he took a step towards her sad eyes so like hers boaring into her own. Gently he reached out a hand and brushed a lock of hair from her eyes before kissing her on the forehead, “don’t come back little sister.†For the first time she could remember Sandry thought she saw tears form in her eldest brothers eyes. “Sandry, promise me you will stay away. There is no place for you here anymore. There can’t be.†With a last brush of his rough hand against her cheek she watched him turn and follow their parents out to the stables.

She stood there for a moment dumb struck not knowing what to do, but then she felt the anger that had been building all day bubble up inside her as she rounded on the Aes Sedai. “Why couldn’t you just leave me be? If I had died so be it, it would have been the will of the light… Now… Now I have nothing! Leave me alone! I want nothing to do with you or your darkfriend ways.†With that she ran for the door, grabbing her cloak and bow from the table as she went. She found her horse saddled and ready for a journey when she reached the stable yard since Sandry’s father had planned on taking his wife and daughter home immediately after the situation was dealt with in the tavern, obviously that had not gone as planned. Leaping into the saddle, thankful for the breeches she wore instead of skirts, the girl sent the animal nearly into a gallop as she raced out of the stable yard.

(ooc: sorry it's so long.)

Serena's heart went out to Sandrilene as her parents stood to leave. The only words expressed were the ones that the girls father spoke to the Aes Sedai. Heartless...She thought as they left the inn. The pain in Sandrilenes' brother's eyes wrenched at Serena's soul. She had seen this before and every time it seemed to get harder and harder. Just because she was an Aes Sedai and wore the cool mask of one, did not make her heart cold as well.

When he walked out, Serena was prepared for the calamity that happened next. Most Amadician girls that had the ability to learn to channel did NOT like being taken to Tar Valon. “Why couldn’t you just leave me be? If I had died so be it, it would have been the will of the light… Now… Now I have nothing! Leave me alone! I want nothing to do with you or your darkfriend ways.†Sandrilene exploded and took off out of the inn as if she didn't realize she had an Aes Sedai on her trail.

One thing an Aes Sedai realizes and eventually comes to learn, is the fact that there are several stages to mourning. Each innitiate comes to the White Tower not expecting to stay, but when they do the lose everything. One might not realize this particular issue upon entering in their training, but when they outgrow their family, their Gaidin, and have no real friends to speak of in the White Tower...that is when you learn.

Expecting Sandrilene's outburst, Serena let her go. Gulping down the last of her ale, she stood up and paid the serving girl. Since she was merely passing through and had expected to be leaving with or without the potential novice, her things were already packed.

Upon reaching the stables, she tucked her small staff into one of the saddle bags and mounted Current easily. Most Aes Sedai wore dresses, this one did not, except on rare occassions. Riding always came easy to Saldaeans and was made especially simple without skirts flapping around. Her long tight fitted blue coat flapped out behind her as she nudged her mare into a full gallop. With the mischievious twinkle still in her eyes, the Blue Sister caught up to Sandry in no time at all, and hung just behind her.

Falling back a little more, Serena watched the girl. She was quite a decent rider, which was formidable for a young girl. Her temper would get the best of her, just as Serena's had, but that would all come in good time. Embracing the True Source, the Aes Sedai wove a funnel of Air that went right up to the girls ear. "I was just wondering, Child, where you might think you're going? Where can you go?" Not wanting to be mean, and not trying to be, Serena kept quiet as Sandrilene turned her head to look over her shoulder. She would be torn, no doubt. As all of us have been.

In a much more soothing tone, she said. "Sandrilene fa Toren, you are not alone. There are many out there like you...even me." Aes Sedai were human beings. Just because they lived a little longer and were affected by the agelessness, it did not mean they were all cold and heartless. Now, Serena would leave it up to Sandry to slow down and speak to her. If this tactic didn't work, there were many other ways she could get the girls attention/

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

Bonded to Thera Trakelyn

OOC: Beautiful post! Please, never apoligize for it being long. I LOVE to read them!

Sandry rode on not caring if she had been rude to the Aes Sedai, really it was the woman’s own fault—she had ruined everything! Ignoring the tears running across her cheeks she galloped away from the tavern as quickly as she dared, and she hoped this horrible nightmare. She only glanced back once and was relieved to see that the tavern was out of sight; slowing her pace slightly she began try and clear her head, where was she going? Nowhere was safe for her anymore, there was no home.

As Sandry thought these things she was surprised to hear her very thoughts whispered in her ear… "I was just wondering, Child, where you might think you're going? Where can you go?" As much as it frightened her to hear a voice so close she managed to figure out what, no who, it was quickly enough to not show that she was startled as much as she had been. Glancing back over her shoulder she saw the Aes Sedai riding easily behind her keeping pace but not overtaking her for some reason.

"Sandrilene fa Toren, you are not alone. There are many out there like you...even me." Glaring at the woman she urged Cha to go faster, her cloak streaming behind her, though as she did so she couldn’t help but think that there was something different in the woman’s voice, something that almost made her want to stop and listen. As quickly as the thought passed through her mind she shoved it away; no she was nothing like this darkfriend no matter what they said. It was this woman’s fault that she had lost everything; it was her fault that she was a freak. The tears that had made her blue eyes swim like a clear lake were quickly replaced by a look a cool and angry look that could have cut steel. It was this woman’s fault that no matter what Sandry did she would never be seen as anything more than a servant of the Dark Lord.

All the fear, worry, and sadness melted away as she felt herself focusing solely on the anger that coursed through every fiber of her being. Her mind became clearer than it had been since hearing the cursed woman’s pronouncement that she, she Sandrilene fa Toren, a Child of the Light. A woman who had known since birth that it was her duty and birthright to search out and destroy all forms of darkness that the Dark Lord had seeped into the world. That was her cause, it had always been; she knew nothing else. This witch had come and destroyed her ability to do what her family had lived to do for generations, had painted her as a Darkfriend and dishonored her family name.

Anger swelled in her, she felt like the sharpened point of an arrow knocked and ready to fire. At that moment she felt like she could do anything, even kill a Tar Valon witch; and frankly at that moment she didn’t care if it killed her too. Gripping Cha with her knees she pulled an arrow from her quiver and knocked it holding the arrow in place with one hand she pulled Cha up tightly nearly stopping her on the spot and almost unseating herself at the same time. A moment later the bow string was pulled taught, the arrow fletching brushing gently against her cheek as she waited for the second it would take the Aes Sedai to ride past her. Seeing the Aes Sedai pass by her obviously slowing her own horse though with more care for the animal and herself than Sandry had uncharacteristically shown she muttered a curse under her breath and let the arrow fly.

Almost the moment she released the arrow she knew that it would never hit its mark, she couldn’t say how she knew, but she did. Not even watching her first arrow she reached for second but her hand froze gripped the end of one to draw it out of the quiver. In that same instant she felt all the anger begin to twist her stomach into a feeling of queasiness that threatened to have her retching where she sat. Her breath came in gasps as she got the arrow knocked; forcing the next wave of nausea down she focused on the task she knew she had to do. “I warned you. I told you to leave me be. I am nothing like you!†She yelled in a strangled voice, in between gulps of air. Gripping her bow until her knuckles hurt she drew the string back to her ear and glared at the Aes Sedai ready to let the arrow fly. There was no way she could miss from this range.

With the One Power coursing through her veins, Serena's senses were hightened. In the distance between she and Sandrilene she could tell that the girl was reaching for her arrows and preparing to let them fly. Shaking her head in disapointment with a hint of humour, the Aes Sedai wove a shield of Air around her. The girl's first arrow hardly came close to Serena, and when Sandrilene noticed she abruptly stopped her horse and turned to knock another arrow in Serena's direction. "If this is what she wants, than this is what she'll have." The Blue muttered as she approached.

Following in suit to what the child wanted, Serena continued to catch up to Sandrilene. “I warned you. I told you to leave me be. I am nothing like you!†The bow's string seemed to buzz in taughtness as the Blue approached. Nodding, Serena said. "Yes, child. I have been warned. Do not think I am afraid of you, I have faced much worse in my time." Studying the girl, Serena noticed the paleness on her face. A common look of those who might lose their lunch at any time. With ease, Serena deftly wove a few threads of Air around the knocked arrow and bow and removed them from Sandrilene's grasp. "I believe it safer if I take these for now. You may keep the rest of your arrows until I deem it necessary to remove those from your custody, as well." Tilting her head to the side, emerald eyes sparkling, yet compassionate.

"Sandrilene, fighting with you is not my top priority. I did not come to Amadicia to fight Children of the Light, I came to remove the Darkfriends from within the lines of this nation. That is what I live for." Gently, she placed the bow and arrow into her saddlebags, next to her staff. "However, if force is how we will go about our excursion to Tar Valon, than that is your choice, not mine. There is no joy in forcing innocent girls anywhere." Her voice was calm but steady, the use of the One Power while speaking often did that to a channeller.

"Now, if that's how you wish it to be, then it will feel much like this..." Wrapping thin but sturdy threads of Air around Sandrilene, the girls arms tucked into her sides tightly, and her legs became stiff against the horses sides. "I can guide your horse with ease. Is this what you want? I will not take you into Tar Valon as a prisoner, Child. Tell me, is this how we shall have to ride?"

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

"Yes, child. I have been warned. Do not think I am afraid of you, I have faced much worse in my time." Sandry swallowed hard as she glared at the Aes Sedai, she felt another wave of nausea wash over her as she held the bow taught wondering why she hadn’t fired yet. Sandry felt invisible hands grasp the bow and arrow and pull them from her grasp gently, yet firmly, it was such a sudden and unexpected thing that Sandry didn’t even fight back. "I believe it safer if I take these for now. You may keep the rest of your arrows until I deem it necessary to remove those from your custody, as well."

Sandry glared at the Aes Sedai, her gaze only wavering as she lowered her arms quickly to grab a hold of the pommel of her saddle to steady herself fighting the turning of her stomach. Curse the woman what has she done to me, Sandry thought. Through clinched teeth she managed to growl out a muffled “Give it back!†before having to focus her energy back on her rolling stomach.

"Sandrilene, fighting with you is not my top priority. I did not come to Amadicia to fight Children of the Light, I came to remove the Darkfriends from within the lines of this nation. That is what I live for.†Finally the wave passed, taking a deep breath Sandry barked a laugh. Hatred poured from every fiber of her being, “Remove Darkfriends? More like put them in place to kill Children of the Light or to perform some other form of dark task. How should I know what…†She trailed off gritting her teeth as she watched the woman place her bow and the arrow next to the staff she carried seeming to ignore Sandry’s angry words.

The Aes Sedai continued as though Sandry had not spoken, "However, if force is how we will go about our excursion to Tar Valon, than that is your choice, not mine. There is no joy in forcing innocent girls anywhere." Sandry shivered at the calm certainty in the Aes Sedai’s voice, Light what was the woman thinking of doing to her? "Now, if that's how you wish it to be, then it will feel much like this..."

Sandry’s eyes widened as she felt something solid wrap around her arms pulling them to her sides. At the same moment she felt her legs grasped also tightly binding them to the horses sides. She struggled against the invisible ropes trying to move, trying to get loose, but the invisible force didn’t even loosen. "I can guide your horse with ease. Is this what you want? I will not take you into Tar Valon as a prisoner, Child. Tell me, is this how we shall have to ride?"

Sandry gagged as realization dawned; a fresh wave of nausea passed over her and she would have swayed in the saddle if not for the invisible ropes holding her in place. Gritting her teeth she steeled her gaze refusing to give the Aes Sedai the satisfaction of seeing her struggle, she forced herself to relax, hoping that she looked like she had simply chosen to have herself tied to the saddle. However the relaxed look on her face did not reach her eyes as she gained control of herself. “Let me go, witch. If all your talk of not forcing an ‘innocent girl’, she threw disgust into the two words as if they were the lunch her stomach longed to be rid of, “were true, then why are you still fight to kidnap me?†They only way she will take me to Tar Valon is as a prisoner, Sandry thought bitterly as fear and worry began to ebb back into her consciousness causing her stomach to somersault once again. Forcing those feelings away she tried to think clearly all the while forcing her features to remain a steady mask of cool anger.

Suddenly, her eyes lit up, she never could hide her true feelings from coming out in through her eyes. A thought occurred to her and she spoke it aloud even as she felt herself casting at least part of it away as impossibly false. “That’s why you made it look like I could channel, you wanted to get me away from my family to…†her plan failed her there and she struggled to finish the thought. “to… to… fulfill some Dark plot. I will not help you kill my family! They have loved and cared for me all my life, I won’t let you use me! There is nothing wrong with me, it was just one of your Aes Sedai tricks,†she shook her head battling the disbelief of what she said, with the all but non-existent hope that it might be true. “And when my father sees, when Corin realizes… No amount of witchcraft will save you.â€

The words had come out in a torrent and now that they were gone she felt her body try to shift, tried to collapse as it fell off the horse, yet she was held in place as the nausea began to overwhelm her so that she barely contained the first dry heave. She glared at the ground, breathing deeply, trying to control herself. Tears of anger and frustration glittered in her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away before the Aes Sedai could notice, she would never let this woman see her as anything but a loyal servant of the Light…

• 3 weeks later...

Sandrilene went on and on about how she would never let the witch take her to Tar Valon. Sighing a heavy breath, Serena shook her head in disappointment. Light, this child will have me asleep in no time with all of the energy I'm burning up with her. Biting down on her lower lip, the Blue Sister watched as the girl tried to hide her emotions. It was slightly strange to see what it looked like when a battle was going on within someone else's head. Quirking an eyebrow Serena thought, so that's what I look like...

Shaking her thoughts away, Serena softened her features and concentrated on Sandrilene. Laying a gentle hand on the girls arm, Serena tried to bring the girl back to reality and steady her a bit. "Listen, child, I am not worried about your family and what they may or may not do to me and the other Aes Sedai. I am only worried about you." The girl looked as if she might fall right off of the horse if Serena had not had her in strands of Air. Reaching for her pouch, she lifted the skin and held it out towards Sandry. "Drink some water." Before the girl could even refuse, Serena held the skin above her lips and let the water trickle into her mouth from a few inches away. "It is not poisened. If it was, I would not drink it." Pursing her lips she waited until Sandrilene took the skin.

"Why do you think your family let you go so quickly? Why do you think your brother let you go with me? They may not like what channellers can do, but they know that if you are to become one, and you will regardless of what you do, that they want you to be safe while learning how to control it." The skin was thrust back into the Aes Sedai's hands angrily. "YOu don't have to like me, Sandrilene. I don't need that from you. But you are doing no one any favours by acting the way you are." As Serena finished her sentance she could feel a shift in the air around them. It seemed to feel thick, and she felt as if eyes were boring into her.

Biting the inside of her cheek, Serena quickly wove a Shield of Air around the two of them. Lucky that she had, because a group of what seemed to be bandits attempted to circle up on them quickly. "Sandrilene, I cannot hold the strands of Air that bind you and channel at these bandits at the same time. I am going to let go." The Air Shield would hold the two of them in place until Serena moved, then it would follow them wherever they would go, so Sandry wouldn't be able to move anyways.

Arrows knocked and blades thrust at the two women, but with Serena channeling smalls balls of fire, their equipment went up in flames in no time at all. None of the men were killed, for Serena did not believe in useless massacres. Thrown off of their horses, and weaponless, the men turned and ran for their lives. Furrowing her brow in concentration, Serena turned to Sandry. "Are you alright?" She should have been, the Shield had held well and the "fight" had been over in mere minutes. Tilting her head to the side, she spoke. "Now, back to what I was saying...You want to fight the Shadow? You want to live? You want to be able to see your family again? These things are all possible if you come with me to the White Tower. You would be fortunate, in my eyes, to see your family again." Serena's emerald eyes narrowed a little in anger at the Dark One. "My family was killed in a Trolloc raid when I was your age. Perhaps that is one reason I dedicated my life to fighting the Dark One in any way that I can." Again, she took in a deep breath and sighed. "Well, if we are going then we should get out of here. It would not take long for those men to get reinforcements. Will you join me for a ride, Sandrilene? If you wish to know more of my plite with the Shadow and what it was like being taken to the White Tower, for me...then please, come. Remember, I was once in your predicament, child."

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

Bonded to Thera Trakelyn

OOC: Sorry, our internet connection went out and I haven't been able to get online until now. I'm at school at the moment, but our connection should be up soon.

"Listen, child, I am not worried about your family and what they may or may not do to me and the other Aes Sedai. I am only worried about you." Sandry’s head shot up and she felt her both the ache in her head and her stomach protest the sudden movement. The Aes Sedai gave her what appeared to be a concerned look as she reached into her pouch and lifted the skin holding it out towards Sandry. "Drink some water. It is not poisened. If it was, I would not drink it."[/i ] After only a moments hesitation Sandry took the skin and drank thirstily watching the Serena Sedai carefully the whole time. Ignoring her look, Serena Sedai continued. [i]"Why do you think your family let you go so quickly? Why do you think your brother let you go with me? They may not like what channellers can do, but they know that if you are to become one,†Sandry opened her mouth to interrupt but stopped herself when she saw the look in the others eye. “and you will regardless of what you do, that they want you to be safe while learning how to control it."

In spite of herself, Sandry’s knew that Serena Sedai was right. There was nothing she could do now, other than to go along and learn to control the thing inside her, but she didn’t have to be happy about it. Thrusting the skin back to the Aes Sedai, she gave the woman a coolly defiant look. The water had helped the pounding in her head to subside a little and her stomach felt a little more stable than it had a moment earlier. It had also brought back a little of the fire that had begun to ebb away when she was forced to focus on not throwing up.

The Aes Sedai gave an exasperated sigh and said, "You don't have to like me, Sandrilene. I don't need that from you. But you are doing no one any favors by acting the way you are." Sandry fought to keep and indignant look off her face as she tried to find some way of responding. The truth was that she did not hate the Aes Sedai, not really, she just couldn’t understand how everything she had ever been told concerning the women who could channel was untrue. However, before she could retort she noticed a change come over Serena Sedai. She had seen that look on others faces before—something was not right. As she turned her head searching for what could be out of place she heard a boot step to her right and realized that a group of men heading towards them.

"Sandrilene, I cannot hold the strands of Air that bind you and channel at these bandits at the same time. I am going to let go." Feeling the ties that had bound her disappear Sandry nodded and began trying to watch all the men at once. Her mouth went dry as she realized that the men all held bows with knocked arrows or swords. Light, what should she do? Keeping the fear from her face she coolly reached for an arrow and had it half way out of her quiver before realizing that she no longer had a bow.

In the time it took her to realize that she could do next to nothing against these bandits she watched the men’s equipment begin to melt from a series of, what appeared to be, small balls of fire. Her mouth hung open as she struggled to watch both the Aes Sedai and all the men. The first thing that she noticed after the initial shock is that none of the men were harmed in any lasting way; curious she thought. Before she even knew it the whole affair was over and the men were running away, most of them without the mounts they had come with. Her fingers still gripping the useless arrow she had reached for she stared dumbfounded at the Aes Sedai; she tried to form a coherent thought but her brain did not seem to want to function along with her mouth.

Serena turned to her then, Sandry barely made the words out through the fog that filled her brain. "Are you alright?" Sandry didn’t respond at first, and then merely nodded. Light what had the woman done, she thought; she grudgingly admitted to herself that she was amazed and even a little intrigued.

Serena gave her a curious look as she spoke, "Now, back to what I was saying...You want to fight the Shadow? Sandry could feel her mind beginning to focus again and she narrowed her eyes nodding. You want to live? Again she nodded You want to be able to see your family again?[/i] At this she paused her brother’s words coming back to her, “don’t come back little sister.†The Aes Sedai didn’t seem to notice her hesitation as she continued. “These things are all possible if you come with me to the White Tower. You would be fortunate, in my eyes, to see your family again." Again she heard her brother’s voice; “There is no place for you here anymore. There can’t be.†Sandry’s eyes sought the ground as she struggled to gain control of the feelings warring inside her.

So focused was she, she barely heard what the Aes Sedai said about her family, but when the gist of it caught up with her she looked up suddenly. “I’m sorry.†She heard herself murmur. She meant the sorry to encompass more than sympathy for the woman’s loss; in some small way she felt ashamed of her behavior, but in the depths of her heart she wondered if it wouldn’t be easier to start a new life with the hope of avenging your loved ones. Without even the tiniest hope of ever returning to them, that, she knew was a false hope—she would only bring them more pain. Corin had been right; she could never come back home. Sandry looked over at Serena not sure what to say as the Aes Sedai said, "Well, if we are going then we should get out of here. It would not take long for those men to get reinforcements. Will you join me for a ride, Sandrilene? If you wish to know more of my plite with the Shadow and what it was like being taken to the White Tower, for me...then please, come. Remember, I was once in your predicament, child."

Glancing at her bow stuck next to Serena’s staff she nodded, there was nothing left to say. A sensible woman knows when it is time to accept and move on to things she can do something about, and young she may be Sandry always prided herself on being sensible if she could help it.

Taking a deep breath the girl plunged into the question that had been bothering her since realizing that Serena could not be a darkfriend. “Forgive me for asking, but if the White Tower is not breeding ground for darkfriends, then why have I always been taught it was? The Children of the Light do not have any patience for lies.†Sandry licked her lips as she saw the look on Serena’s face. “I mean no disrespect, but if I were you, and had lost my family to servants of the Shadow, then I would never be one of the least likely candidates for the name darkfriend. So I must assume you are not one, and thus, what I have always been taught and believed cannot be true.†Sandry could feel the Aes Sedai’s gaze on her and she swallowed quickly before hurrying on, getting slightly flustered. Perhaps a more casual topic, “Do you really think they will come back?†The old confidence was back in her voice, if not a little weaker. She glanced over at Serena as her gaze fell on her bow an idea came to her, “If you will let me have my bow back I could at least help next time.†Finally the torrents of questions were out; she knew her request was a long shot, probably with an ill wind thrown in, but it was worth a try.

OOC: No worries, my life has been crazy lately also. Suddenly I am realizing I am long winded, my writing professor would be so disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...

As the Aes Sedai and Amadician girl left the small area where they had been hunted by bandits, Sandrilene began to ask questions. As Serena looked down upon the girl from her saddle, her eyes merely showed that she was listening, but behind those sly emeralds the Aes Sedai thought to herself, The White Tower will profit much from this young lady's mind, and she will profit much from what she learns. It was not hard to tell that Sandrilene fa'Toren had been raised well. The words and questions that managed to slip from her mouth, although slippery and perhaps with a slightly awkward or opposite intent, happened to be quite smart and well thought out. Nodding, Serena smiled slightly and turned her head to face infront of her.

"Sandrilene, you were raised the only way your family knew how to raise you. I do not think their lessons were lies, per se, but more of what they had been taught, and their fathers before them." Glancing down at her reins for a moment, Serena rubbed the leather of one of them with her hand as she thought. How can I put this lightly? "Would it be more simple to tell you that Aes Sedai and the Children of the Light just do not get along and never have? I would hope to say that one day the Children will see that we are working towards the same goal. Also," With an arched eyebrow Serena wove a few threads of Air, Fire and Spirit together to create a small ball of light, something she had learned in her novice classes under Arette Sedai. Turning to Sandry she asked, "and how does one explain this to someone that has never channelled before and never will learn how to?"

Kicking her horse into a gallop, Serena persuaded Sandrilene to pick up her pace as well. It was about time they were off and covered some good distance. "We shall ride for quite some time now at this pace. I will not run either of our horses into the ground, but we need to cover some distance if we want a decent roof over our heads and a hot meal for dinner." Out of the corner of her eye Serena caught Sandry eyeing her bow and had deliberately not answered the girls question about getting it back. Perhaps after a few days she would hand it back to Sandrilene, but not yet. The girl would not be allowed to have it upon returning to the Tower.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**

The sound of Currents hooves on the hard cool ground was comforting to Serena; however, the time was coming where she would be more than happy to be sitting in one place for longer than a night or two. It was not often that Blue Sisters stayed at the White tower for long periods of time, but a month or two back in her quarters was always welcoming at first.

The sun was cresting the horizon and about to bless the day with it's golden rays. Glancing over at Sandrilene, Serena could tell the girl was more than weary with riding in the saddle. "It's not much longer Sandrilene, two days at the most."

Biting the inside of her cheek, Serena reached behind her and pulled out the bow. Holding it up and out towards Sandry, she said. "I will give this back to you on one condition. I have not used a bow much, only the One Power and I am quite decent with all of my daggers if I need them. However, if I give this bow back to you, you must teach me a thing or on how to use it. For the next two days, until the towers of Tar Valon glisten in the sun...or moon before us, you will teach me. Agreed?" The sparkle in Serena's eyes glistened mischieviously as she waited to see if Sandrilene would accept. Most likely, the girl would not hear such a deal ever again from an Aes Sedai.

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

OOC: If you want to post once more I might post again, then I can post us coming to the White Tower and the Mistress of Novices quarters. sound good?

ooc:Alright here you go, archery lesson from a not so simpering novice coming up. LOL

Sandry was a little surprised by Serena’s patience with her and her questions; she had been waiting for some kind of reaction, but the one she got was not what she expected—calm explanation. “I would hope to say that one day the Children will see that we are working towards the same goal. Sandry doubted this would ever happen, not as long as the Wheel still turned. At this moment, however, knowing what she was and was going to become she couldn’t help but wish for a day when the Children of the Light would work alongside the Aes Sedai of the White Tower.

"and how does one explain this to someone that has never channeled before and never will learn how to?" Glancing at Serena as she finished her explanation Sandry nearly jumped from her saddle, the woman had a ball of light in her hand. She quickly stilled her face and shifted back to a more comfortable seat in her saddle. Questions flew through her mind but she stopped them short of her lips; a part of her wanted to know how it was done, the thing looked useful, but another part of her, the daughter of a Child of the Light, yelled at her to run and escape.

She was grateful when Serena suggested they pick up the pace. Nudging Cha into a gallop with the slightest tap of her heels she caught up to Serena easily and rode alongside the Aes Sedai.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**

Sandry had spent a bulk of the journey to Tar Valon silently, if not a little sullenly, thinking about everything that had passed in the last few days. Every time her mind wandered to her family she stubbornly pulled it back, it would do no good to cry in front of Serena Sedai; not that crying did much good alone either. Serena brought her out of her thoughts abruptly, "It's not much longer Sandrilene, two days at the most." Sandry only nodded, she had already decided that this was the only course of action she had—what good was it to fight it. She would go to the White Tower and then decide what to do next, but she didn’t have to like it.

Serena drew her attention back again by pulling Sandry’s bow from her horses saddle and holding it out to her. "I will give this back to you on one condition. I have not used a bow much, only the One Power and I am quite decent with all of my daggers if I need them. However, if I give this bow back to you, you must teach me a thing or on how to use it. For the next two days, until the towers of Tar Valon glisten in the sun...or moon before us, you will teach me. Agreed?" Sandry frowned slightly thinking, then shrugged, what difference did it make, and this meant she could shoot again. When she had been home she had never gone more than a day without archery practice, it had been way to long. As she felt the wood of the bow in her hand again memories flooded back: Corin leaning against the fence calling out instructions after each shot, her birthday the moment her brothers handed her the bow and quiver they had made, the first time she shot five bulls-eyes in a row. She shook her head to clear the memories and the tears forming in her eyes, no matter what they did to her at the Tower, she would find a way to not loose this talent of her past.

She had to clear her throat before she could speak, “I can teach you some things, but two days isn’t much time. I guess it doesn’t really matter when you have the One Power and Warders though, more of a curiosity thing?†She mumbled the last part clearly enough for Serena to hear, but in such a way that it sounded like an after thought. Guiding Cha with her knees as she rode she studied the bow for a moment then frowned again. “The first thing you should know, Aes Sedai,†she put special emphasis on the word Aes Sedai mostly just to be ornery and to cover her own emotions. “Is that you never leave a bow strung for a long period of time if you can help it; this string is ruined and needs to be replaced before we can do anything with the bow. When you leave the bow strung it stretches out the string and weakens it so that the arrow will not fly properly.†Grinning slightly she reined Cha to a stop on the side of the road and hopped off the horses back she deftly unstrung the bow and studied the string intently for a moment before nodding. Wrapping the ruined string around her hand she then stuck the bundle of bow string into her saddle bag—maybe she could salvage it later.

Glancing up at Serena still on horseback she was a little taken back by the curious look the woman had on her face, but she quickly recovered. “If you want to learn to shoot it, you will have to get down. I am only a decent shot from horseback and I have been shooting most my life, you would be awful with no experience.†For a moment while the Aes Sedai got down from her saddle Sandry shivered at the thought of the tone she was taking with an Aes Sedai. As she re-strung the bow with a new bow string she shook the thought away, the woman had asked to learn and this is how Sandry taught. “There is a lot to shooting a bow that we can’t cover in two days, but I can show you how to hit a target without hurting yourself. Pulling a rolled up piece of cloth from her saddle bag, she walked to a nearby tree and studied it for a moment before nodding; using small sharp nails and a stone from her bag she tacked the cloth up. Counting her steps as she walked back to Serena she drew a line on the ground with her foot then looked at the Aes Sedai.

“For me I have always needed to be calm to shoot well, its something my brother taught me, if you let emotions dictate your shot then you best hope emotions can hit your target,†she quoted Corin with a small smile on her face. Shaking her head she took her place at the line, feet spread to shoulders width apart and rolled her shoulders taking a deep breath. “I used this way of clearing my mind to make that stone glow for you before, so you should know how to do something like it. Just focus on there being nothing besides you and the target, you’re the bow and arrow and besides the target nothing else exists.†As she spoke she drew an arrow from her quiver, knocked it, and pulled the string back to her cheek smoothly in time with her breathing. As the calmness settled on her she released the arrow and it sailed through the air striking the center of the cloth 30 paces away. Knowing that her arrow had struck home she turned to Serena, “30 paces isn’t far, but it is a good distance for a beginner. Now you try.â€

She pulled an arrow from her quiver and held it and the bow to Serena, “step up to the line and stand side-ways facing the target with your feet shoulder length apart.†She adjusted the Aes Sedai’s stance a little then nodded, “now before you try to think about shooting you need to know that where you hold your arm is important.†She tapped the hardened leather arm guard she wore over her jacket on her bow arm. “I wear this because my mother got tired of seeing the scars the bow string was leaving behind. It protects my arm from the vibrating string, but you should be fine with your coat on as long as you keep your elbow out of the way.†She had Serena hold her bow arm out with the bow held steady, and then adjusted the woman’s arm so that she would hopefully not end up with a welt from the bow string. After she Serena had practiced lifting her arm in that position a few times Sandry nodded and stepped back.

“Go ahead and try, just keep your hand and arm steady as you pull the string back. Oh and aim with both eyes open, only cheaters and loser’s shoot with one eye. It’s harder, but better in the long run.†She grinned at the joke her brothers had always had for those who couldn’t aim with both eyes; it had taken her half a winter to break the habit of closing one eye, but once she learned to do it properly her shooting had improved ten-fold. She stood off a few paces and waited watching the Aes Sedai carefully.

• 3 weeks later...