DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Avengers

Krakalakachkn

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige tells SFX Magazine (via Superhero Hype) that he hopes that their upcoming "The Avengers" is more than just a "team superhero movie with a bunch of characters with powers".

In the process he let slip that the Hulk, a character that hasn't been as firmly linked with the film as Iron Man or Thor, is a definite for the project. He also hasn't ruled out a potential second "Incredible Hulk" film with Edward Norton, saying "That would be post-'Avengers,' if it happened... I think there's a chance. It's certainly our intention to use the same actors from film to film where we can."

One of the biggest questions with "The Avengers" is the still lingering question of mixing heightened reality-based heroes like Iron Man, Nick Fury, Hulk and Captain America with the outright mythological fantasy hero Thor. Feige was adamant it won't be a problem, saying "we're doing the Jack Kirby/Stan Lee/Walt Simonson/J. Michael Straczynski 'Thor.' We're not doing the blow-the-dust-off-of-the-old-Norse-book-in-your-library 'Thor.' In the 'Thor' of the Marvel Universe, there's a race called the Asgardians and we're linked through this Tree of Life that we're unaware of. It's real science, but we don't know about it yet. The 'Thor' movie is about teaching people that."

Amongst the other characters in the Marvel library he wants to get into production in the near future are the likes of Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther and Iron Fist.

• 3 months later...

Some news from Samuel L. Jackson

Earlier this week Samuel L. Jackson appeared on what is surely the most annoying radio show in the history of the world, Radio Big Boy, and dropped a huge Marvel bomb. While talking about his nine picture deal with Marvel and confirming that he won’t be in Thor, he revealed this:

“The Avengers should start shooting some time next year, and then some time after that there’ll be a big S.H.I.E.L.D. movie.”

That’s right, Nick Fury’s secret organization will get its own solo movie. At least if Sam knows what he’s talking about. It’s worth noting, however, that during the interview Sam seemed confused about some of Marvel's other movies. For instance he had no idea who was playing Captain America (even though he’ll be in the movie) and thought Chris Pine was playing Thor (it’s Chris Hemsworth). So it’s not exactly like he’s a Marvel insider. Still, if there’s one project you’d think he’d be clued in on it would be any potential S.H.I.E.L.D. movie since as Nick Fury, he’d be the star of it.

In Marvel comics lore S.H.I.E.L.D. is a fictional spy and enforcement agency tasked with handing super human problems. Fury runs the thing from a floating hover carrier, and though he often cameos in other comics as he’s done in the movies, “Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.” was also a solo series. The character of Nick Fury actually even had a solo movie in the past, in which he was played by an eyepatch-wearing David Hasselhoff. It’s a decision which I’m sure Marvel would like to forget. Sam Jackson’s version can only be better.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if I like that logo, or not. It looks just a little bit too similar to the Fantastic Four logo to me. I was hoping that The Avengers would get a logo that was more original.

• 1 year later...

Archived