DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Intro to Saidar Class 1 - An Introduction to Saidar

Nenen sat at the back of the room, hidden with a weave of Folded Light.  Air and Fire were not her strong points, but she had, since becoming Accepted, practiced with these two elements, her weakest, to ensure that she would be proficient enough at it no matter what happened.  She did not move around, for that would attract attention from the Novices who were now entering, alone or in groups.  She shifted slightly, as silently as possible, and waited until the last novice had filed in.

"It is good to see you all in my class."  Nenen said, her soft voice cutting through all the useless babble that Novices usually talked about.  They started, and looked around for the seemingly disembodied voice that was coming from nowhere.  Standing up slowly and arranging the banded hem of her skirts, she released Saidar slowly, and her posture gradually emerged to view.  Several of the novices gasped, and others looked eager, perhaps to learn how to do what she had just done.  "My name is Nenen Kailadel, and I will be taking you through your Introduction to Saidar class."

The novices stood as she made her way to the front of the class, and they curtsied as she nodded to them.  When they sat down, Nenen's face became serious as she contemplated what she had to say to them, and how to say it.  As her face darkened slightly at the thought, a few of the more timid novices shifted in their seats and looked uncomfortably at anyone but at her.  "First of all, before I say ANYTHING else, I must have your fullest attention.  What I am about to say next might determine whether you will be able to channel after the next few months, or even years!"

Most of them looked up eagerly, as if they thought that she was going to say something that would help them in their quest to embrace the source, for it was a quest of sorts, to learn how to channel at will, in control of your abilities

"You are NOT to channel without the supervision of an Accepted, or an Aes Sedai.  Know here and now that any Novice that I or any Accepted or Aes Sedai catch trying to embrace the source WITHOUT supervision, will wish that she had never been born when I and Larindha Sedai are done with her."  Most of the Novices shifted uncomfortably.  No doubt they had been trying to figure out how to embrace Saidar, to feel the ecstacy of it, to enhance their senses tenfold.  "Even if you have been successful, which I doubt, in learning how to channel in secret.  To anyone who has been doing as such, I am warning you, you had better stop NOW or face the consequences."

"Having been in the Tower for nearly 6 years, I have seen things that I would rather have not seen.  We, as Accepted and Aes Sedai stop you from channeling alone, unaided, is for YOUR safety.  I had a friend, Yolari, whose Talent at Channeling was unsurpassed by any novice in the Tower."  She sighed mournfully.  "She was my best friend.  And she is now BURNT OUT."

The words were like a slap in the faces of the novices.  Several gasped and put their hands to their mouths.  Other looked horrified.  "Well, she didn’t pay attention to this lesson, because she thought she could get away with channeling on her own.  She lost control, and the result you well know.  She was nearly killed in the process as well.  That can happen as well.  Know that I speak the truth, and if this happens to any of you, it will be of your own doing.  You - have - been - warned."

"You do not have the discipline to control Saidar or to attempt to channel it safely.  The feeling is so immense and addictive that you might be tempted to take in more than you can safely handle.  This could result in a myriad of bad consequences, among them hurting or killing others, hurting or killing yourself, or even worse yet, Stilling yourself. Like Yolari."

"However, with an Aes Sedai or Accepted there with you, they can moderate the amount you attempt to handle and ensure that your flows do not lash out of control. This is for your safety, and the safety of your fellow novices. Punishment will be harsh for violators of this rule. Consider it the most important rule you must follow while you stay here at the Tower. Now with that said let us move on. Control will come, and one day you will be comfortable with using the Power, and it will come when you need it. Someday. But that takes years and years of effort and discipline, which will start in this course and continue even after you are raised to an Aes Sedai."

Nenen then smiled gently at them.  "But away from these topics for now.  And now it is time for something that is easier to listen to.  Now it is time for your first lesson.  Take out pen and parchment please.  You are going to have some copying to do."  Eagerly the novices took out pen and parchment at her instruction, and started copying down notes at her direction.

"To know how to control the True Source, first one must learn what the True Source actually is.  The One Power is an ocean of energy, of life.  We, as channelers, are simply the conduits through which the Power does work at our direction.  To put it simply, imagine that the Power is an infinitely large ocean."  On the board, Nenen took a piece of chalk and drew a large circle.  "And imagine that by channeling the power, we are the rivers through which the water flows through.  When we draw on the One Power, imagine that the water in the ocean is flowing through the river, channeled and controlled by it.  That is what we are when we are channeling."  She drew several small rivers to demonstrate her meaning.

"This, being only a model, is not totally accurate, however, it is sufficient for our purposes."

"But more now.  The One Power is divided into two halves.  Saidin and Saidar.  Saidin is the half of the source that the male channelers wield, and Saidar is the half that the females use.  Both halves are very different, from all reliable sources.  Saidar is like a calm river, inexorable in its path.  To control Saidar, you must surrender to it, and guide it.  You cannot MAKE it bend to your will.  You have to GUIDE it to your will, or you will be overwhelmed by it.  This is also VERY important.  Failure to adhere to the constraints of Saidar will result in being burnt out as well."

"You probably have also heard of the Five Powers of the True Source.  Know now, that the One Power can be divided into Five different Powers of different uses.  They are Air, also known as Wind, as well as Water, Earth, Fire and Spirit.  When you learn to channel, you most probably will find taht you exhibit a greater ability at one or two of these elements as compared to others, and that you will be weak in other elements.  Do not worry.  Most channelers are strong only in one or two elements.  Some few people will exhibit great strength in three, but they are not really so common that you will meet them if you walk down a corridor.  Those who are strong in four elements are few and far between.  Since the passing of the Age of Legends, no channeler has had great strength in all 5, and even then is was exceedingly rare!"

Nenen smiled at them reassuringly, for some of them were looking downcast.  "I myself am strong in two elements, Water and Earth, which does make for interesting play.  I have an average ability with the other elements, though my Talent for Air is usually low.  There are several different permutations floating around the Tower.  Some Aes Sedai are strong in Air and Water, others in Spirit and Fire, and so on.  But we still are proficient channelers."

"In most cases, men were more adept with Fire and Earth, while women were more talented with Air and Water.  Both are equally strong in Spirit it seems. Do not let this mislead you.  Many girls believe just because men are usually stronger in Fire and Earth that they are stronger over all?  This is not always true. As you will learn in future classes, the powers of Spirit, Air, and Water are formidable and should not be discounted."  Nenen looked at them, meeting their eyes.  "It is said that there is no rock so large or strong that wind and water cannot wear it away, that there is no flame is furious or so hot that water cannot quench nor wind snuff it out."

She nodded impressively, her pale face shining in the light from the windows, and the lamps on the walls nearby.

"Use of the One Power is also addictive, and that is what makes it so dangerous.  Channeling makes the person feel more alive, such that life without touching either Saidin or Saidar seems only a pale shade of what life should be.  It is for this reason that channeling is dangerous - drawing too much of the One Power can at the least sear the ability to channel out of a person, at the worst it can kill.  The feeling is very sweet and powerful that you will experience. You must learn how to remain strong in the face of that temptation.  That is why girls who can learn to channel are brought here.  Even if they do not desire to rise to the shawl, or do not have the inner strength needed to gain it, they must still learn to control the urges lest they hurt themselves or those around them.  This is why that there is such a rule in place to prevent Novices from channeling unaided as well."

Nenen bent down and from the bottom of the table, picked up several copies of paper.  "Throughout history,"  she said, her voice now changing from smooth to whip-like in an instant, "there HAVE been Aes Sedai who have committed heinous crimes.  They have been stilled, purposely cut off from the True Source, and put outside the Shining Walls of Tar Valon.  Each of you now has a piece of paper."  Nenen distributed them to the girls, one each.

"You are to memorize this list.  These are the names of every Sister who has been Stilled in the History of the Tower and why.  Memorize them.  You may be asked later, at random, to tell me about them.  I expect you will know them inside and out.  If you'd like to know more you can find more information on each in the Tower library.  I encourage you to research them extensively.  Only by keeping in mind our past mistakes can we succeed in not repeating them.  Learn from them so you do not have to pay the price they did for foolishness."

A sober silence descended upon the lot of them.  Nenen decided that they had had enough information loaded upon them for now, and anyway, she had covered all that was neccesary for this class.  "Does anybody have any questions?  Don't be shy, feel free to ask."

Kalinde arrived early for class. She yawned heavily as she took her seat to the back of the room. The Accepted that was to teach the class was not there yet. That was not surprising. Kalinde herself only came in early as she had been scolded too many times for her tardiness. Marie Sedai had promised to send her to the Mistress of Novices for even one new occurrence. So Kalinde had gotten up early, well early by her own standards. She had almost missed breakfast and was not forced to sit in class with her hair a mess. She had been too tired to search for her brush and had just given up and tied the uncooperative curls into a ponytail.

Other novices piled into the class as well, and Kalinde yawned again. She really needed to work on her morning schedule. “It is good to see you all in my class."  A voice sounded from somewhere in the front of the class. Kalinde squinted, but she could not see anyone. She had not even seen the Accepted come into the room. Where was she? Hiding behind the desk? And then suddenly Kalinde could make out something appearing in the front. It was the Accepted. She had appeared out of the air. Kalinde gaped at the trick her mouth open in awe. To think, she could do that as well. How handy it would have been on the farm as a kid. She could have played so many glorious tricks on her brothers!

But this was not the farm and she did not know how to do this. And as the Acceped started going on about the evils of Saidar, the dangers and concerns, Kalinde was not really even sure she wanted this gift anymore. Let alone learn to be in constant danger to herself and others. She had been so excited at hearing that she could learn channel; now it was not looking so great anymore. She had known little if anything of Saidar and Saidin before coming to the tower. She had been ignorant of everything. And although she was eager to know more, the information scared her, as was the Accepted’s intent no doubt.

Kalinde stared at the list of names of the women that had been stilled. It was a long list to memorize. Kalinde decided that moment that she needed to go to the library to study more about this stilling thing. It was interesting that a punishment could be just to cut them from the source. Would not killing be a worse punishment? Why was stilling such a horrible thing to do? She looked at the list again. “Excuse me Accepted, I’d like to know if stilling can be practised on someone who does not want to become Aes Sedai? That way they would never be in danger to themselves or others” she heard herself asking and regretted opening her mouth immediately. Her horrified expressions throughout the class and this question would make everyone think she meant herself with this question. Didn’t I mean myself? She asked silently in her mind but did not know where to begin looking for an answer to that question.

Ykoria Eranyame swept rapidly along the tiled halls of the White Tower, her pure white skirts flaring about her ankles as she strode towards her next class. Glancing out an eastern facing window, she stifled a yawn as she paused for a the briefest moment to bask in the sun shine, before hurrying onwards.

One class on the Old Tongue just after breakfast at dawn. She grimaced I never thought being a Novice would be quite so...... physically intense. And after this I have history, law and philosophy, then lunch, an hour of raking the paths in the northern gardens, then a class on etiquette.... She grimaced again. That class she hadn't been able to test out of. Her reading and writing skills had been judged exemplary, having been practically raised in a library, also she had been excused from the introductory classes in Mathematics. But apparently the social graces of a palace servant were insufficient for an Aes Sedai, as was her grasp of most subjects. And after etiquette there is that seminar on laws and governance by Sahaila Sedai, and then I might finally have some free time, during which hopefully I will have an opportunity to take a bath.

Coming around the bend now, she joined the tail end of a stream of other white-clad women, all moving singly or in chattering knots towards the ajar paneled doors of one of the minor lecture halls. Sweeping in with the last stragglers, Having this class on the One Power directly after the Old Tongue ten floors up is really ludicrous, she flicked her blue eyes around the room. The teacher's dais was deserted. How unusual. The Accepted teaching her Old Tongue class threw fits whenever anyone was late, and usually railed on about how easy they had it compared to her.

She moved quickly to one side of the room, took a chair, and steepled her fingers, resting her chin upon them.

Barely had she done that when suddenly the Accepted materialized out of thin air, at the back near the doors they had just entered, to a chorus of startled shrieks from a handful of her more high strung companions. The majority of them, who quickly deduced that it was a weave of Saidar, simply rose quickly and curtsied.

Ykoria cocked her head as she settled back into her seat while the Accepted made her way forward. Well.... There's a myriad of uses for that. How very...... dangerous. She chuckled into her hands quietly.

Then, the Accepted began speaking, and Ykoria gave her mind over to the gruesome tales of warning for a time.

The Accepted Nenen had just delivered the list of the criminals with the admonition to memorize it and invited questions, when finally another Novice timidly asked:

"“Excuse me Accepted, I’d like to know if stilling can be practised on someone who does not want to become Aes Sedai? That way they would never be in danger to themselves or others”

Ykoria felt her head slowly swiveling to her right to bring the owner of that voice into view, who looked somewhat chagrined. Ykoria certainly hoped so. She was fairly confident that a mediocum of intelligence was required of initiates. She suppressed a strong urge to mock her by asking why men didn't practice hanging each other for fun and prayed to the Creator for the awkward, stunned silence to end.

With a low sigh then, she tore her gaze from the other Novice and began toying with a wrinkle in her skirt, while skimming through the notes she had taken. She had been rather looking forward to this class, and certainly hoped Nenen would get around to teaching them how to channel. She had been rather looking forward to that, since that was the main attraction to being an initiate of the Tower, after all. Idly, she considered how wealthy the Tower must be that they could afford to waste good parchment on note taking in a routine Novice class, of all things.

• 2 weeks later...

Rytali managed to find the classroom on time only because so many other white-dressed Novices like herself were headed there.  The Tower was so much larger than the Hall of the Council, and finding her way around had been quite a challenge so far.  Twice she had already been late for other classes because she had been on the wrong floor!  Her class schedule was busy enough, but although it was her first day for everything, that still did not let her off easy.  It seemed it was a heinous crime simply to be late for class here!

As she quickly walked in the room and took a seat near the front in the middle, Rytali caught her breath, glad that she had something to sit on for a while.  She would figure out how to find her way around the Tower that she needed to, one step at a time.  And all the marching up and down the stairs would no doubt do wonders for her figure, which she considered to be unfortunately on the plump side at the moment.

She glanced around, looking at unfamiliar faces.  They all seemed to have similar uncertain expressions, though perhaps that was because they were all wondering where their teacher was.  Rytali was looking back to the door when she heard several novices gasp, and a couple shriek.  Turning around, she almost stood up in alarm, gasping, as a young woman whom she could have sworn was not in the room earlier sat easily at the desk.  As if she had been there the whole time!

Be this the Power?  Can one truly make themselves appear out of thin air?  She wondered, her mind bewildered that this was even possible with some sort of amazing Power.  How in the Light would she ever learn how to do that?

Their teacher introduced herself as Accepted Nenen, and only then did Rytali remember to stand and curtsy with the others.  Nenen went straight into a stern caution about not using the One Power unsupervised.  Rytali nodded, accepting this admonishment easily; she wouldn't dream of doing such a thing.  Especially not when she heard about what could happen if one lost control.  Light, I did no realize that this Power be so dangerous!  I do wonder if I will even wish to channel at all, much less with supervision!  It seemed this would be no easy road to become an Aes Sedai.  It would take years and years, and by the time she was an Aes Sedai Rytali was sure she would be old and gray.  Though if the food and lodging were as good or better as they were now, she doubted she would have much room to complain.

Rytali took out a parchment she had used for notes for another class.  Blinking at the mathematical formulas on there, she turned the page over.  She did not want to think about That class!  Although they were allowed several sheets of paper for notes, Rytali was determined not to waste any of it.  During Nenen's lecture, she wrote adeptly, swiftly, and in very small letters.  She even included a small copy of the rough graph that Nenen had used, describing the Source as an ocean, and as channeling like making a small current or a river within that ocean.  She noted what Saidar was like.  It sounded dangerous and overwhelming, but if all she had to do was surrender to it, perhaps it would be manageable? 

As she copied down about each Element, Rytali wondered if she was strong in one or more than one.  She had not consciously channeled yet as far as she was aware, so she was not sure.  And what was Spirit like?  There were so many questions that might be answered simply by being able to do what she was told she could do.  But as of yet she had no idea under the Light how to do it.  How did one embrace the Source?

But the topic veered from using the source to those who had misused it, and somehow had deserved the punishment known as Stilling.  Such a final, severe word, Rytali thought with half a shudder, even though she didn't think she fully understood the concept. 

These do be a lot of names...but not so many if the Tower really be around for as long as they say it be.  Rytali scanned the names, trying to say them out loud in her mind, though some seemed quite difficult for her to pronounce.

Rytali glanced over at the novice who had asked a question already.  Rytali thought it was a legitimate question.  After all, Aes Sedai in many parts of the world were terribly mistrusted.  Perhaps some women would not want to go through all the effort to become one considering they would be outcasts if they ever returned home.  and merely take the easy route, giving up the ability to use saidar?  Rytali didn't think she would consider this unless as an absolute last resort, however.  She was too curious about this Power and how she could use it to let herself be denied this opportunity.  To learn so much, when it seemed clear she would be learning even more than she had dreamed.  And if she learned all about how to be an Aes Sedai in the world, that would mean she could still travel and see the world for herself!  But first, she would have to learn how to use the Source.

She was tempted to ask that very question after Nenen was finished answering the question about Stilling, but she said nothing.  No doubt all would be revealed in time, and she did not want to appear presumptuous for asking something that would be answered anyway.

Serey stared down at the washbasin, trying to see her reflection.  “You can do this,” she told the image, and smiled, trying to look as if she believed it.  After running a hairbrush once more through her thick curls, she corralled them into a ponytail tied off with a white ribbon.  Everything she wore was white, now.  It was strange, she thought, that novices wore white, just like the Children of the Light wore white.  Stranger still, that novices were referred to as “children.”  Serey thought it sad that the Children of the Light thought Aes Sedai servants of the Dark One.  In many ways, they seemed such perfect matches for each other.  The Aes Sedai keepers of knowledge, and the Children, protectors of the world.

With a sigh, Serey placed her brush on the nightstand and moved to her small writing desk to collect some parchment and her writing kit.  Supplies in hand, she headed out of her room and to class.  When she arrived the room was half full of novices, so chatting amiably, others sitting in silence.  Serey sat down next to one of the quiet ones and began unpacking her kit.  She wanted to be prepared.  Novices were expected to remember what they were told, and Serey had never been good at memorizing facts.

“It's good to see you all in my class...” a voice said, and Serey grabbed her pen knife and quickly sharpened the tip of her pen.  When the novices around her gasped and shot to their feet, Serey didn't know what the fuss was about.  Looking up, she saw an Accepted making her way to the front of the class, and shot to her feet and dropping into a deep curtsy.

As the woman spoke, Serey wrote furiously. 

Reasons why Novices are not to channel or even embrace the source without supervision:

~Channeling the power requires discipline. 

~For someone unskilled, trying to channel can be dangerous:  one can be “Burnt Out”

~Channeling can be addictive, resulting in taking in more of “Saidar” than one can handle.

~Injury can result, not only for the channeler, but for those around her.

~Gaining proper discipline takes years of study and guided practice.

"But away from these topics for now,” the Accepted said, “And now it is time for something that is easier to listen to.  Now it is time for your first lesson.  Take out pen and parchment please.  You are going to have some copying to do."

Serey's face turned a deep red, as she looked around, realizing no one else had started taking notes yet.  Placing her first sheet aside to dry, she took out a fresh one and began again.  By the time the accepted asked if anyone had any questions, Serey had filled the page with notes and her head hurt. 

She had known both men and woman could channel the power, but she had never known that they used different parts of it.  What was the difference between the two halves?  They both were made of the same elements, so the difference was not clear.  Could it be the proportions of each that made the difference?  Somehow that did not seem right.  And, did men go mad because they had no one to teach them, as well as the taint?  Did they become addicted, unable to see reason, then the taint corrupted their actions?  Or did the corruption make it so they could not gain proper control over the power?

Serey looked at the piece of paper with the list of names of woman who had been Stilled.  She wondered if there was a similar list of the men who had been gentled, but couldn't bring herself to ask.  Even though she would have loved to have the list, she didn't relish memorizing it.  The list of female channelers was long enough.

"Excuse me Accepted, I’d like to know if stilling can be practised on someone who does not want to become Aes Sedai? That way they would never be in danger to themselves or others"

Nenen blinked.  Had she really heard that question?  She turned slowly, her face quite blank.  When she spoke, her voice was ice cold, and hard.  "We would NEVER still someone who does not want to become Aes Sedai unless they have committed atrocities or severe crimes.  Why would do we take in all those who can learn to channel?  Even if they cannot become Aes Sedai, or do not want to, we will NEVER let them go until they have learnt sufficient control."  She turned to stare at the Novice in the eyes.

"Why on earth,"  Nenen continued, "would we show them the gift that they possess, what they can do with it, only to take it away if they cannot achieve Aes Sedai status?  The loss of the Power,"  she said, now staring at each of the class in turn, "Is more than most people can bear.  The effects of Stilling include depression and a loss of will to live.  We are not cruel people.  We do not sentence people to die in such a horrible manner.  Yes, they usually pass on after a year or so.  Death would be preferable compared to Stilling.  This is why stilling is practised so rarely."

"Now,"  she said turning back to the class after surveying the board.  "If no one has any questions, you are dismissed.  "Tomorrow," she smiled.  "You be learning how to work with Saidar."

• 3 weeks later...

Iraleia looked down at her work worn hands and sighed, Light this is hard, she thought, harder than I would have ever imagined and I’ve only been in the tower a week! She still didn’t know whether it was worse to have stayed at the orphanage and lived her life in fear and hate or to have come here to try and as she had done so far … fail. The only thing that she could do without fail was the chores. If nothing else I could become a washer woman or servant, she thought and for a brief second she was glad she was out of the orphanage.

As she approached the lecture room, she lowered her head to avoid eye contact with the other girls filing noisily into the room. As in every class she slid into the back hoping to remain out of sight, out of mind. No one had called on her yet and she would prefer if it remained that way! Again she looked down at her hands, resting on the desk in front of her and tried hard not to listen to the babble of the girls around her. She had never had friends and found it hard to be in a group situation such as this one. If someone tried to speak to her, she would open her mouth and nothing would come out. It was rather embarrassing and she found it easier to ignore them which caused a lot of rumours to circulate about her, of course none of which were true.

"It is good to see you all in my class." A seemingly disembodied voice spoke, echoing through the stone room, startling the girls to silence. Out of the shadows appeared a woman in a white dress banded with the colours of the Ajahs. An Accepted taking the class? Thought Iraleia slightly shocked. She had expected one of the Aes Sedai to be teaching them. This place is always full of surprises.

The young woman introduced herself as Nenen and the harsh lesson in Saidar began. She had thought that they would be learning how to use the source right away, instead they were lectured in the dangers of the One Power and warned against using it without supervision. That was a lesson Iraleia could follow, having never touched Saidar she had no idea what all the fuss was about.

The Accepted quickly pushed the subject aside and asked for them to bring out a pen and parchment. This was the part of the lesson Iraleia dreaded, she couldn’t read nor write but was expected to take notes. She was lucky that so far she had a fairly good memory and a lot of the information she had taken in and stored but there would come a time where she would need the basics and hoped Pia Sedai would remember to find her a tutor, else she would become the most illiterate Aes Sedai in history. She almost laughed at that, there was no way she was becoming Aes Sedai, she didn’t have it in her, she might have survived that evil orphanage but that was like sailing calm waters compared to the hardships of tower life.

Nenen’s voice whipped through her thoughts. "Throughout history," the girl said pausing, "there HAVE been Aes Sedai who have committed heinous crimes.  They have been stilled, purposely cut off from the True Source, and put outside the Shining Walls of Tar Valon.  Each of you now has a piece of paper."  Iraleia stared at the piece of paper as the lecture went on. She was expected to memorise the list and research the women upon it … LIGHT she couldn’t even READ it! Iraleia sighed and wondered if there was any way she could get herself out of this. Runaway? She thought, when a young voice cut through her thoughts. “Excuse me Accepted, I’d like to know if stilling can be practised on someone who does not want to become Aes Sedai? That way they would never be in danger to themselves or others” Iraleia thought this sounded like a very reasonable question and one she felt implied directly to her. Eager to hear the Accepted’s answer, she leaned forward slightly in her seat and soon regretted it, as the answer was not the one she was hoping for.