DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gotta lose the oaths

ErikTheBald

The main difference between Aes Sedai and the other 2 groups is that AS are certified oath breakers. Or perhaps  oath benders.

They are all trained in the power, but AS are also trained in twisting around an oath so as to make it useless.

That's why people don't trust them and why they have so little hold in the lands they try to control.

They may be able to bully a ruler into doing what they want, but as soon as the AS turn their back to them, they jump in every direction trying to undo what the AS had done.

A meaningful example is in what happened to Malkier.

The AS tried to send help, but were late, and to hide their failure and keep their aura of perfection and infallibility they simply pretended that they had not wanted to help Malkier for reasons known only to them.

As a result the descendants or Malkier now hate AS nad have stopped sending girls o the White Tower.

Yes, originally the Oaths were taken to gain the trust of the non-channelers, and it probably worked, but with time the original intentions got twisted.

So yes, I think they would be better off without the Oaths, and was a bit disappointed to see that Egwene embraced them so wholeheartedly.

the only way they are ever going to stop with the Oaths is if the rod is lost or destroyed.

cause no one among the Aes Sedai will be brave enough to say:

"we need to stop this rite of passage that has defined our entire way of life these past 3000 years"

Don't know if Jordan has said anything definite about the reduced lifespan.

Yes he has, it is all in the books.

One thing to keep in mind is a comment RJ made when asked about Asmo, that he felt that he should not have to spell everything out to us, that he expected his readers to be able to figure things out based on the information in the books.

I definitely agree. Enough circumstantial evidence, hints and insinuations are, sometimes, near as good as a specific statement. Of course, without a specific statement nothing is 100% certain, but still ...

One thing to keep in mind is a comment RJ made when asked about Asmo, that he felt that he should not have to spell everything out to us, that he expected his readers to be able to figure things out based on the information in the books.

I definitely agree. Enough circumstantial evidence, hints and insinuations are, sometimes, near as good as a specific statement. Of course, without a specific statement nothing is 100% certain, but still ...

One supposes that one could always argue that the stress of keeping so many secrets, spinning so many threads and plans and attempting to control everything could be what kills em early.  ;)

Actually, perhaps it is simply the stress the Oaths place on the body in keeping them (remembering that mental stress usually turns into stress on the heart, or a brain hemirage). The fact that AS, as humans, have the inclination to lie when it suits them, but the Oaths force them to stop every time they try to, puts enough stress on them over time to significantly reduce their lives (for a channeler).

Incase i'm not making myself clear, lets suppose there was an Oath placed on you with the Oath rod that said "My heart will beat untill i die". This would place no stress on you, as it is what you are 'trying' to do and will never try to go against it even subconciously, and therefore the Oaths never have to force you to change your intended course of action, therefore, no stress is caused.

Possibly this will alow Egwene to live longer, as she attempts to keep to the Oaths regardless, and so there would be less stress placed on her.

What does anyone think of this theory?

Look at just after Suain and Leane were raised in New Spring for example of how the Oaths physically restrain lies

One supposes that one could always argue that the stress of keeping so many secrets, spinning so many threads and plans and attempting to control everything could be what kills em early.  ;)

Actually, perhaps it is simply the stress the Oaths place on the body in keeping them (remembering that mental stress usually turns into stress on the heart, or a brain hemirage). The fact that AS, as humans, have the inclination to lie when it suits them, but the Oaths force them to stop every time they try to, puts enough stress on them over time to significantly reduce their lives (for a channeler).

Incase i'm not making myself clear, lets suppose there was an Oath placed on you with the Oath rod that said "My heart will beat untill i die". This would place no stress on you, as it is what you are 'trying' to do and will never try to go against it even subconciously, and therefore the Oaths never have to force you to change your intended course of action, therefore, no stress is caused.

Possibly this will alow Egwene to live longer, as she attempts not to keep to the Oaths regardless, and so there would be less stress placed on her.

What does anyone think of this theory?

Look at just after Suain and Leane were raised in New Spring for example of how the Oaths physically restrain lies

Nice theory. Although I'm leaning towards the view that it's the swearing of any oath that reduces the lifespan (the skin tightens no matter what oath you swear), I definitely don't have any argument against yours. During the AoL, only criminals who committed violence where bound with a binder, and so most of them would probably have suffered the binder actually restraining them, physically working to do just that, so it wouldn't contradict Semirhage's beliefs about the OR.

I don't agree that that's the case, but I definitely don't consider it impossible. As I said before, nice theory.

Archived