DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Music, Family, and Warders (attn Visar)

RodOfCorrection

The sun had already passed it's zenith and was on it's way to the horizon.  The people in the street bustled by, often too quickly to notice Raurie playing on his usual upturned keg.  He often wondered whether or not they could hear him.  That's just how it was for a boy making a life on music in Tar Valon.  Sometimes you made money, other times no one heard you. 

Oh well, he thought to himself.  At least I don't have delusions like them.  He noted haggle of young girls moving towards the Tower through the streets, near rapture painted on their faces.  It was another group of hopefuls trying to join the White Tower and become Aes Sedai.  Why anyone would want to do that was beyond Raurie.

Then again, the Tower would be a perfect place to go for a girl if she were in trouble at home.  Or running away.  Would she?  He stopped playing for a moment, his fingers leaving the tune of "The Tinker has my Pots" hanging in the air.  It would be the easiest place to go.  Far time, anyway.  Unconsciously, his fingers picked up another tune.  "The Wind that Shakes the Willow."

He spared himself a glance at the marble Tower, beautifully pale in the near sinking sun.  The possibilities ran through his head.  The plans, the machinations.  Getting in would be next to impossible.  Should he just ask?  Maybe.  But they were Aes Sedai.  Pretty as some might be, they could wrap the highest rulers around their fingers like string, then weave whatever plots they wanted.  Best to avoid asking until all else failed.  Best to avoid Aes Sedai.

Raurie snapped out of his reverie at the sight of a man standing in front of him, watching him play.  Human weapon was a better way to describe this person.  Just slightly shorter than Raurie, he watched with steady brown eyes.  The way he stood said that he was comfortable with the sword at it's side and was ready to use it in less than a heartbeat.  That alone said what he was: a warder. 

Maybe he could help Raurie.  It was a possibility, and a chance he was willing to take.  But when there was a warder, there was always and Aes Sedai.  Some things just have to be done, and I must know.

"You show unusual interest in music, for a warder.  May I ask your name?"  He would get there somehow.  He would.

Visar was on the way back from the bank.  While storing money in a place he rarely saw didn't make too much sense to him, Rasheta Sedai had assured him it was the best way to make a small amount turn into a larger with time.  He considered himself lucky to be out of there with a simple deposit rather than getting entangled in some of the complex loans that some banks tried to sell to rob their clients blind when they couldn't pay the interest.

Visar squinted, and shook thoughts of money from his head.  He didn't need a lot, other than for getting Rasheta a thing or two if she asked for it, or for buying and repairing his equipment.  Although he felt almost naked without helm and mail, he imagined it would be unnecessary to go full gear for just a short trip in town.  He wore a dark green cloak, that while not fancloth, was still the second most common color warders wore.  Especially ones from the Green Ajah.

His thoughts drifting, Visar's ears picked up soft notes coming from one side of the street.  Sure enough, a young man was playing a harp there.  Visar couldn't help but start humming the tune.  It sounded familiar, though he did not recall its name.  He stopped, standing aside so that traffic could easily go around him, and listened to the harpist.  It seemed odd that he would simply play by the street corner to beg for coins.  While he did not know enough about music to judge talent, Visar thought the man was quite good, certainly good enough to be able to play his keep and earn enough on the side.

"You show unusual interest in music, for a warder.  May I ask your name?"  The man noticed him, though Visar was not too surprised that the man knew him for a warder.  He was hardly dressed disguised as a civilian, and few men wore swords in Tar Valon other than Tower Guard or Warders.  The guess was not too hard to make.

"Cloak gave me away, did it?" Visar grinned, hoping the young man was not too nervous.  "My name is Visar, what's yours?"

After learning the man's name, Visar did his best to compliment him on his playing, dropping a couple silver pennies into the hat which already had a fair number of coins in it, though most were copper.  It's for a good cause! Visar convinced himself.

"You seem to have good hands for melody, though I'm no expert in anything musical.  What was that tune you were playing just now?  I believe the version I heard was called Birds Singing in the Mangrove, but it's been a long time since I've heard it, and I don't have a good memory for tunes.  Maybe it's called something different where you're from?"

Raurie liked the warder already.  He was forthcoming about himself, kind, and generous with coin.  How bad could he be?  He said he had heard that song by another title.  Understandable, though Raurie had never had that happen before.  Birds Singing in the Mangrove?  Well, it had to happen somewhere.

"The Wind that Shakes the Willow, learned it a few years back from a farmboy who passed through here.  Never could remember his name," he said, regretting the other tunes he had forgotten from that man.

Raurie did wonder though about the warder.  He had never seen one who was terribly interested in music.  Most of them spent their time standing like shadows behind their Aes Sedai doing their best to look intimidating, and it normally worked.  Perhaps he was a break from the norm. 

The warder was from the tower, which was what Raurie needed.  But could he trust him?  It would take time to find out.

"I can't imagine a warder walking the streets just for the music.  What brings you out here this time of day?"

Visar noted the name of the song title that Raurie gave him.  Perhaps he'd have to ask for the lyrics later.

"I can't imagine a warder walking the streets just for the music.  What brings you out here this time of day?"

Visar restrained himself from glancing back at the Tower, where he would need to be back soon.  He was trusted enough to go run errands in the city while Rasheta Sedai was relatively safe in the Tower, but he'd rather not risk her annoyance by taking too long.

He narrowed his eyes, but only slightly.  This harpist asked quite a few questions and seemed just as curious about warders and the Tower as Visar was about music.  It was difficult to trust anyone he just met, especially a seemingly innocent musician asking about potential Aes Sedai matters.

"Tower business." he replied curtly, his look indicating he was not going to explain further.  "To which I must sadly return soon." he added in a softer tone, using that opportunity to gesture with a glance at the great central monolith.

Visar hesitated, turning his body but not stepping.  He did not want to be rude enough to deny the harpist a chance to reply.  The man seemed to want to ask something further, and perhaps his intent was not so suspicious.  It would be best to hear him out.

The warder turned to go back to his Tower.  If Raurie were going to ask, it would have to be now.  Every man must make the leap sometime, Raurie remembered the saying from his childhood.  Best let it be on your own terms.  Asking questions was not what it was talking about, but the same idea applied.

"I'd like to ask a favor of you, trivial thing really.  I know you get many new entries at the Tower, but it's very simple you see.  I was wondering if you knew of a new girl there, probably just arrived.  Her name would be Nila.  Have you seen her?"

That seemed to take the warder off guard.  The worst he could say was no, and the question had to be asked anyway.

"I'd like to ask a favor of you, trivial thing really.  I know you get many new entries at the Tower, but it's very simple you see.  I was wondering if you knew of a new girl there, probably just arrived.  Her name would be Nila.  Have you seen her?"

Visar turned, puzzled as to why a harpist would ask him such a question.  He shook his head.

"I have not met anyone by that name.  I do not have the desire, time or authority to keep track of every servant or novice that comes in."

Visar hesitated.  Why was he wanting to help this man?

"I might be able to take you to someone who would know, though I don't have all day to spare.  Either the Mistress of Servants or Novices would have a list of new entries.  But for such a favor to be worth my time, I believe you would owe me one such favor." he added, trying to figure out what a musician could offer him other than musical training.  Sometimes he wished he had a normal, harmless talent like playing a harp or a flute instead of being good at protecting and killing people.

"I might be able to take you to someone who would know, though I don't have all day to spare.  Either the Mistress of Servants or Novices would have a list of new entries.  But for such a favor to be worth my time, I believe you would owe me one such favor."

The Mistress of Servants.  Mistress of Novices.  They sounded intimidating, more so than the average Aes Sedai.  Raurie would speak to them last.  As for this warder, it would be hard to barter with anything Raurie had.  There was probably little the warder wanted in ways of money, and music seemed to be an interest of his.  That was probably the best way to leap for Raurie.

"I doubt I could pay you some consequential amount, but I could play a few tunes wherever you'd wish.  I might even be able to teach you a few of them, but the choice is yours."

"I doubt I could pay you some consequential amount, but I could play a few tunes wherever you'd wish.  I might even be able to teach you a few of them, but the choice is yours."

Visar chuckled.  "Teaching me some songs and accompanying me should suffice, it's not like I'm asking for all you own.  Come, I'll show you to the Tower and we'll see if your sister is there."

As the harpist rose to collect his things, Visar caught a glimpse of a curved dagger in a sheath.  While a short blade wasn't too unusual an armament for a musician, Visar could not help be suspicious of the man's motives all over again.  He asked darkly,

"Do you know how to use that, lad?"  Visar pointed to the weapon, and waited for a reaction.  If the musician's Cover was blown, he would most likely try something.  If he was innocent, then perhaps he had some explanation.  Visar's hands instinctively slid upwards to slightly above his waist, his body ready to turn in a flash towards any threat that came close to him.

"Do you know how to use that, lad?"

For half a thought, Raurie had no idea what the warder was talking about.  Then he remembered the dagger at his belt.  Come to think of it, Raurie had no idea how to really use it other than swinging the arms like a wildman.  He felt his ears redden.  Then the warder's stance changed. 

"To be honest, I'm useless with a blade.  I don't know why I carry the knife, I would most likely hurt myself before someone else."

Raurie could only shrug and smile sheepishly.  He really did feel like an idiot, but he had to ask yet another question. 

"You could teach me to use it, could you?"

"To be honest, I'm useless with a blade.  I don't know why I carry the knife, I would most likely hurt myself before someone else."

Visar relaxed noticeably.  There was nothing in his voice to indicate that he was trying to hide any hidden motives.  So Raurie didn't know how to use it too well.  Perhaps that was best.

"You could teach me to use it, could you?"

Visar frowned, disapproving.  He didn't like the idea of teaching men outside of the Tower how to be better killers.  Though thankfully there was more to the use of the dagger than that.

"Using a knife to kill someone is unfortunately all too easy.  Most of it is instinctive anyway.  However, I can teach you how to defend against a like weapon, with or without your knife in hand.  Would that suffice?"

"Using a knife to kill someone is unfortunately all too easy.  Most of it is instinctive anyway.  However, I can teach you how to defend against a like weapon, with or without your knife in hand.  Would that suffice?"

It would have to.  If Raurie's search for his sister took him as far as he feared it would, there would be no telling what kind of unsavory characters he would come across. 

"Any teaching you could give would be an honor."

"Any teaching you could give would be an honor."

Visar nodded at the compliment.  He would help the man as best he could.

"Alright, let me see your blade there, and we'll use that."

Visar fumbled in his pocket for some twine, and took Raurie's knife, tying the scabbard securely to the hilt of the dagger.  That way, neither of them would get seriously hurt if someone missed a block.

"First thing you need to know is to defend yourself if you're unarmed or you haven't got a chance to draw your own blade yet. The most important thing to do is keep an eye on the hand with the weapon at all times, not the weapon itself nor any other part of my body.  If you don't see a hand, say it's behind a shady character's back, assume it might have a weapon and you'll at least have a chance to see a concealed knife coming.  Watch that hand, and you'll know where the weapon is coming from.  Once the attack comes, and it will come swift, with little time to react much less move out of the way, intercept the line of attack with your palm or your forearm, whichever can get to the threat closest, and ideally after you block or deflect the blow, you need to get some sort of solid grip on my arm to keep me from attacking again."

As he explained how to block or deflect and then get a grip, Visar took Raurie to the side a little, finding a small square near the Tower Grounds with grass growing, but with not too many people around.

"If you have time to turn your body out of the way or take a step to the side, do so.  But sometimes an attack will come when you least expect it, and the attack will be so close you simply won't have the time.  So you need to be able to do these covers without moving the body too.  Alright, enough talk, I'll let you figure it out for yourself.  Defend yourself!  And get a grab or I'll attack again and again.  We'll cover what to do after that once you get this most important step down."

Visar gripped the knife securely, the blade made safe with the scabbard still tied on, and thrust straight at Raurie.  If Raurie missed the block or failed to get a grab, he'd earn a fare share of bruises.  Pain would be an adequate teacher.  Visar would attack again and again until it looked like Raurie had his blocking down solid.

• 2 weeks later...

"We'll cover what to do after that once you get this most important step down."

Raurie listened to the warder as he explained.  He made knife fighting sound so simple, it should be easy for him to learn.  Just block?  That would be nothing, he would just move his hand like this and--his ribs hurt.  A lot.  The first impact was a surprise, a sharp shock to his flank that he didn't expect.  The second was more familiar, and the third was dreaded.

Eventually, Raurie could block and catch Visar's arm with enough speed to stop the blade or get out of the way.  It was not without cost though, as his failures left him with an aching side and a tender hand.  However small the advancement, Raurie felt a surge of confidence and pride at what he was learning.

(OOC, sorry for the late posts, college hurts)

• 1 month later...

(a thousand pardons, I'll try to remember where we left off here)

Visar drilled Raurie continuously until he was getting a good block and grab more often than not.  It would have to suffice for now, as they did not have days and days to train every little technique.

"Good, you're getting the hang of it.  The key is to practice this again and again until you can do it without thought.  Only then do you have a chance in a real encounter.  Moving on though.  From the cover and the grab, you have a moment, but mind just a moment, if you stay there and hesitate your enemy will find a way to hurt you.  In that moment, you must neutralize your attacker, and you have many options.  First," Visar had Raurie attack him, and easily obtained a solid grip with both hands.

Without warning, he then kicked Raurie hard in the knee with the heel of his foot, but not quite hard enough to break the kneecap. He followed up with a wind-knocking punch to Raurie's ribs with one of his hands, while maintaining a grip on his weapon hand.  Even if Raurie did not drop the knife from the shock, his grip would be loose and it would be easy to simply strip the blade from his hand.

"You may strike your opponent to soften him up.  However, when striking, never let go of that arm or your assailant might find a way to stab you again.  The knife is always your priority.  Even if your opponent thinks the same thing and punches or kicks at you.  Focus ever on the knife, ignoring anything else, and try to take it from him.  Here is a useful trick."

Visar had Raurie strike again.  Visar caught the arm, stretching it out so that Raurie's arm was straight, elbow locked.  Visar struck up with his palm, stopping his blow into a light slap against the elbow.  IF he had hit with full force he would have broken it. He then pulled Raurie's elbow onto his shoulder with a turn, yanking down just a bit to cause discomforting pain.

"Here, I can either lever your elbow on my shoulders, and yank down to dislocate it.  Or before I can strike up at it with the palm of my hand, and do considerable damage.  The elbow is a weakness in the arm that you must exploit mercilessly when possible.  If it is straight, try to break it by striking or levering.  If it is bent, bend it further, and crank it like a water pump so that your attacker is too hurt to do anything further to you.  For the moment," cautioned Visar, "do not use full force when doing these, as it is easy to injure your training partner.  These are meant to seriously hurt someone, so practice them carefully.  If I tap twice or cry out, ease off slowly or I will not desire or otherwise be able to instruct you further."

Visar showed Ruarie a couple of locks against the elbow when the arm was bent, as well as what he had demonstrated earlier.  He then drilled Raurie's defense again, letting him try different strikes as long as he did not hit with full force, or plays against the elbow.  He offered criticism where Raurie's technique might not work as well, as well as encouragement when he got a nice, painful lock or strike in.

Raurie practiced again and again, repeating each motion and movement until he did not have to think about what his hands were doing.  He was nowhere near the Warder's speed or grace, but that would come with time.  Eventually, his hands found where to move and what to do easily.  It also seemed that the same motions done with fists were also the same general movements done with a knife, meaning the same techniques would possibly transfer.

"Well you've shown what to do if a man tries to hit me with his fists, or cut me with a knife.  But what should I do he kicks me?"

"Well you've shown what to do if a man tries to hit me with his fists, or cut me with a knife.  But what should I do if he kicks me?"

Visar raised his eyebrows.  This was a curious young man, full of questions.  Fortunately this one had a fairly simple answer.  Though it would be very painful.  Visar grimly said.

"Like all attacks, you have many options in defense.  Simply apply what you've learned in dagger defense to a kick, which usually comes in from underneath.  Dodge or cover the blow from hurting you, grab the leg, and go from there, depending on where he is open.  Kick me, and find out what I'd likely do."

(ooc: can edit this if you don't want Raurie to kick) Raurie lashed out a good kick, and Visar sidestepped just a bit to not take the blow full in the gut.  He scooped his arm around Raurie's ankle, gripping it tightly so that the lad could not withdraw his extended leg easily.  Then Visar brought his own leg up in a counter kick, hitting the lad right in between the legs and dropping him.  As the lad groaned in agony on the ground for a bit, Visar shook his head, almost regretting he had done that.

"That is one way how you can deal with a kick.  Make them regret ever attacking you.  And no I will not have you practice that on me, thank you very much."  After a bit, Visar offered a hand to help Raurie up, mostly out of sympathy.

"Have you had enough of a lesson?"

• 2 weeks later...

(ooc sorry for the late posts, I had midterms)

Raurie felt nauseous.  His knees felt unstable and his fingers tingled.  He tried to remember the leg defense as best he could, though it seemed simple enough to improvise what he could not recall. 

He had to smile, though, at the Warder's question.  "Yes, I've had quite enough of a lesson, thank you.

"If I remember correctly, you have an ear for music.  We could probably find suitable spot for a few jigs or reels before the sun goes down too far.  Would you be willing?"

The tingling in his fingers was now in anticipation of dancing on the strings.

"Yes, I've had quite enough of a lesson, thank you."

Visar nodded, almost sad.  He knew he tended to be too rough on those he taught, and often this resulted in people eager to end their lessons with him early.  Hopefully he had given this man a significant introduction, however, to give the man some passing chance against an attack.  Thankfully Raurie had an excellent alternative to grueling training that even Visar was up for.

"If I remember correctly, you have an ear for music.  We could probably find suitable spot for a few jigs or reels before the sun goes down too far.  Would you be willing?"

"Aye, I believe that's the reason I agreed to teach you something in the first place.  A good drink and an evening of music would appeal greatly to my tastes.  Lead the way, Raurie."

As they set off on their search for venues, Visar mentally strummed through the songs he could remember.  There were not many he could recall beyond the familiar refrain, and doubtless they were all of the Tairen or Tar Valon version of the lyrics.  He intended to ask about this, but another concern came to mind.

"I hope I did not hurt any of your fingers while we were training?" he asked.  He was of the type to brush off any injury to the hands less severe than broken or dismembered fingers, but he knew for a man who could not afford a hand injury due to his job, even a bruise could be a serious problem to his ability to play.

"I will do my best to compensate you if I have..." he added, trailing off.

• 1 month later...

Raurie had to smile at the Warder's words.  This man was definitely that rare kind who could fight a person one minute and laugh with him the next.  By Raurie's reckoning, he seemed more inclined to laugh more than fight.  Laugh as much as Warders do, anyway.  His smile was cut short though, as he realized the odd walk he had developed after the training was getting attention from passersby.  Well, it would go away soon enough.

Adjusting his harp case on his back and his coat, he tried his best to walk casually. 

"Your concern is kind, but unneeded.  My fingers are fine, and I've played in worse condition than this."  He had played with hands so cold he couldn't feel his fingers.  He even played faster than usual, then. 

"As for where to play, I know a place here call Cair  Rahien not two streets from here.  It's a good place, with good drink and food.  I'm sure the inn keeper would love to have us.  What do you say?"  He knew Cair Rahien was selective about it's patrons, so there would be no risk of a drunken brawl that could get Raurie in trouble with the patrols.

• 4 months later...