DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Musing on Bonding

Xarra

So, we know:

Channeler > Warder

Female > Female = Very little control over the Female Warder.

Female > Male = Some control, including being able to compel obedience

Male > Female = Basically being able to force obedience

Male > Male = Not yet seen?

I'm wondering how much of these are due to 'extras' in the bonding, how much is pure loyalty and how much is due to differences between male & female. We know Birgitte & Elayne 'mirror' each other - would 2 men do the same? Could Elayne/Avi/Min compel Rand - they just don't know how to use the bond to do it?

Also, Saidin/Saidar seem to 'protect' somewhat from the compulsion if what I've read is true - so if Birgitte could channel for example, would it make a difference?

I don't think its so clear cut as you described,

The mirroring between Elayne and Brigitte is perhaps that Elayne didn't bond Brigitte correctly. There was some weave/strand left out due to ignorance, and the whole rushing of the bonding or a combination of both.

The male channelers and wife/warders bond that I am aware of is similar to the "traditional" AS/Warder bond. The ability to know that the wife is hurt or the general direction etc. Whether the ability to compel in the "traditional" as in tweaking the cord is the same there is no evidence for or against.

There is Male Channelers and Female Channelers that are bonded, and again not done in the "traditional" manner when the lead is the male. The extra bit has a built in obedience switch so more control here, I may be wrong but is there a AM/AS bonded pair where the "Extra Bit" is not used?

Perhaps the change of apparent leadership seen in the last book....

The "traditional" bond with the female lead, does however seem to have less control over the bond when the male is also a channeler. But that is because the AS has to tweak the cord so to speak, and the AM's don't.

I don't think its so clear cut as you described,

The mirroring between Elayne and Brigitte is perhaps that Elayne didn't bond Brigitte correctly. There was some weave/strand left out due to ignorance, and the whole rushing of the bonding or a combination of both.

The male channelers and wife/warders bond that I am aware of is similar to the "traditional" AS/Warder bond. The ability to know that the wife is hurt or the general direction etc. Whether the ability to compel in the "traditional" as in tweaking the cord is the same there is no evidence for or against.

There is Male Channelers and Female Channelers that are bonded, and again not done in the "traditional" manner when the lead is the male. The extra bit has a built in obedience switch so more control here, I may be wrong but is there a AM/AS bonded pair where the "Extra Bit" is not used?

Perhaps the change of apparent leadership seen in the last book....

The "traditional" bond with the female lead, does however seem to have less control over the bond when the male is also a channeler. But that is because the AS has to tweak the cord so to speak, and the AM's don't.

Elayne is an extremely talented channeler and was very sure in her application of the Warder bond, having seen it applied by Aes Sedai on multiple sutuations. I doubt the bond was different.  It was explained by her and others to have a mirroring effect due to her having bonded a Woman, which had no record of having been done before.

The bond the Asha'man do is their own weave. Remember, they reasoned it out themselves.  So, not only is it different in that it is performed by Sadair, but it is different in that it is a new weave invented by male channelers.  It is also very very clear from descriptions by the Aes Sedai who were bonded by Logain's faction that the bond creates Obedience, and it seems, with out the need for the Asha'man to channel.

The Aes Sedai bond creates a certain level of control, but Obedience only comes when they can channel spirit in to a certain place where the bond connects to the WArder, and it only seems to work if that Warder is not holding Sadin (if he can channel).  It also seems to have very little effect on Taverin or very strong Channelers. Then again, we have not yet seen Alanna try to channel spirit into Rand's bond while he is not holding Sadin.

Archived