DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Art: Creepy and Creative 777 (CANDY CORN AMIGURUMI)

twinflower

Art

Hello!  Halloween and the Harvest offers an incredible opportunity to be creative!  Kin U is not going to let this pass us by!  How could we with so many talented and crafty people in our midst!  *grins*

There will be four different projects this year, one for each week!  AND…four different Prof’s from our Art Dept to teach!  YIPPEE!  Be sure to check the Orientation thread and the Art Thread title for what project is going on!

If you have a special Halloween craft you want to share…feel free!  Although please wait till the end of each week, or after all the directions for the week’s project has been posted please to avoid confusion!

First up, we have one of our Professor’s new to Kin U:  Professor Mirshann Uuranor!  She is going to be introducing CANDY CORN AMIGURUMI !  

Have fun and don’t forget the pictures!

*puts in plastic vampire fangs and snugglebites Twinnie* <3

Thanks, Twinnie. :D

Okay, class.  Put down your eye of newt and wing of bat for just a little while.  This week we're going to make....

Candy Corn Amigurumi

100_0388.jpg

"Amigurumi" refers to any knitted or crocheted toy in Japanese.

Now as this is a week-long class, today we will start by talking about the materials and techniques you will need for this project.  (Also that give you time to go out and buy the materials you need, if you don't already have them, too. ;) )

Materials:

• 4.25 mm crochet hook (a size G/6 hook for those of you in the U.S.)
  • Yarn needle (for sewing up the end after stuffing)
  • Small amount of poly-fil stuffing
  • Worsted Weight yarn in Orange, Yellow, and White or any other "candy-corn" color combination you like.

Worsted weight yarn is a medium width smooth yarn which is used for a wide range of knitting projects, especially sweaters, hats, and throws. This yarn is very popular with beginning knitters since it is easy to work with, and knitters can follow their stitches and patterns very easily with worsted weight yarn. The "weight" refers to the thickness of the yarn.  Thinner yarns are a smaller "weight" than thicker yarns, for example.

Yarn weights have in recent years become standardized and you can tell what weight yarn by looking on the label of the ball or skein of yarn.  

In this case, you will need yarn with this symbol on it: 4.gif

Techniques:

For this project you will need to be able to...

Chain -

Single Crochet stitch - video

Amigurumi Double Ring method - How-to

Slip stitch - video

You will also need to increase and decrease in single crochet, but we will deal with that later and I will walk you through it.  (Don't panic, it's actually quite simple. ;) )

Abbreviations:

sc= single crochet stitch

ch= chain

st= stitch

sts= stitches

rep= repeat

rnd= round

You will need these when we deal more with the actual pattern tomorrow. :)

This concludes today's lecture portion of the class.  

I will now take questions, comments, etc.

I encourage all questions on this topic.  The only "dumb" question is the one that is never asked, so don't be afraid to ask anything. ;)

Since there were no questions about materials, tools, or techniques yesterday we'll move on the the next lesson. Feel free to ask any questions about any of the lessons though, even if it is a past one. :)

Okay!  Next lesson:

The Pattern

Firstly, as we get into the pattern, you will notice lots of abbreviations.  As a guide, the abbreviations that will be appearing in this pattern are as follows:

Abbreviations:

sc= single crochet stitch

ch= chain

st= stitch

sts= stitches

rep= repeat

rnd= round

Many of these abbreviations are pretty standard to crochet as well as knitting with the exception of the crochet-specific stitches. 

Instructions:

With White yarn, use the Amigurumi Double Ring method [or ch 2].

Beginning Example

Rnd 1: Ch 1 then 3sc in the loop if you used the Amigurumi Double Ring) [or work 4 sc in first ch].  Place marker (I used a small piece of scrap yarn for a marker) in first st for beg of rnd; move marker up as each rnd is completed so you can keep track of where your rnd starts each time around.

Rnd 1 Example

Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each st around – 8 sts in all once worked.

Rnd 2 Example

Rnd 3: Sc in each st around.  (You should have the beginnings of a small cone shape by now.)

Rnd 3 Example

Rnd 4: *2 sc in next st, sc in next st, rep from the * all the way around – 12 sts.

Rnd 5: Sc in each st around.

Rnd 6: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 2 sts, rep from * around – 16 sts.

Change to Orange yarn.

(How to change colors/yarn in the middle of the row or round -

)

Rnd 7: Sc in each st around.

Color Change/Rnd 7 Example

Rnd 8: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 3 sts, rep from * around – 20 sts.

Rnd 9: Sc in each st around.

Rnd 10: *2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 4 sts, rep from * around – 24 sts.

Rnds 11: Sc in each st around.

Rnd 8-11 Example

Change to Yellow yarn.

Rnds 12-16: Sc in each st around.

Color Change Example

Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing the end closed.

Tail Example

By this point you should basically have the complete empty candy-corn-shaped shell ready for filling and finishing as in the last picture example.  I will leave the stuffing and filling part for tomorrow though, as to leave the rest of today open for answering questions should anyone get stuck and need help.

Once again, please feel free to ask anything on this topic.  No question is off limits in this respect, so please don't be afraid. ;D

I don't tie the ends.  I usually lay the loose ends over the top of the stitches I'm going to be crocheting into and then crochet around them so that they are incorporated into the fabric and I don't have to weave in the loose end later.

Otherwise, I would let it hang and come back after you have the "shell" complete and pull the loose ends into the inside and weave them in so they don't pull loose. 

Great project AND great teaching Mirsh!!

As a fellow crocheter..I am going to just add in another opinion..*winks* about changing colors...I tend to always tie them, LOL  probably because I learned by doing a scrapyarn afaghan that changed colors every three rows!  Anyway, I usually do tie them, especially if it is like a shawl or afaghan that is going to be used alot, tossed around and in and out of the washer..for me it is just more secure for hard use!

On smaller things like these lovely candy corns I don't though..

Well, sometimes I tie off the yarn, but its when I weave in the ends and I really want to make sure it's absolutely not going to unravel.  I do that especially for items that I know will get machine washed a lot. 

Otherwise, I try to find ways to incorporate the loose "tails" in with the rows that I'm currently working in ways that will be as invisible as possible. *nods*

But this is the beauty of knit and crochet.  No two knitters or crocheters do it exactly alike but can yield stunningly beautiful results nonetheless. :)

*hugs and grins*

I so agree!  And that is what I love about hearing how other's do things! :)  I hate to weave in loose ends, and try to crochet them in somehow too!  But when I do weave them in, instead of using my hook, I use a large yarn needle..

oh definilty!

and I the only hooks I like are the steel ones, with the pointy hook..not the flat one.

Although, Lor gave me a beautiful rosewood hook that I love!  I did try it, *grins* but was scared of damaging it and put it in my collectibles!

We had some good discussion yesterday. ;D

Before I post the next lesson, if you are still having trouble or just haven't gotten this far yet, that's ok. Post your questions, or PM me if you are stuck and these lessons will stay up for a while so everyone can catch up.  I don't want anyone to feel pressured into thinking they need to keep pace if you are having trouble keeping up wit the lessons. :)

Now let's pick up where we left of and move into talking about....

Stuffing and Finishing

So from the previous lesson you should have empty candy-corn-shaped shell with a long tail that looks like this

Stuffing:*Lightly stuff Candy Corn.

You want it to be full but without seeing the stuffing through the stitches outside.

Stuffing Example

Finishing:  Fold the edges of the open side together and sew lower edge closed using the long tail that you left after finishing the shell. 

(I just used a basic whip stitch.  Whip Stitch how-to -

)

Sewing Example 1

Weave in ends.

Sewing Example 2

All done! :D

*Note: At this point you can also add a small amount of catnip in with the stuffing, either loose or in a little cloth pouch in the stuffing, in order to make a cat toy. =^_^=

This concludes the pattern and lectures for this class. 

Tomorrow through Sunday will be open to discussion and questions.  Also, the class is now open to discussing your progress on this project and posting pictures.  I would ask that if you post a picture, make sure it is sized so that it does not stretch the screen or post a link that we can click to see your picture in another tab or window. 

I look forward to answering your questions and seeing your progress! ;D

Mirsh...just thought I'd share...my son Mattie (magician in training) has decided that this candy corn pattern is the perfect shape for juggling.  He has begged his sister and I to make several in various colors for him.  He's already sewing up the cloth bags for holding the pellets.  I'll have to send you pics once we get them all done!  :D

Archived