DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Concerning Rand's Claustrophobia

Theodor89

What do you all think of Rand's claustrophobia? (Which he develops after being locked into the chest by the Tower Aes Sedies.)

I mean how will it all play out in the last books? Jordan must have introduced this for a reason, and not just to screw up Rand's first meeting with the Sea Folk. ;)

My guess is that it will play out when Rand enters the Pit of Doom and the narrow tunnels leading to it. It would make for a really cool scene, with Rand fighting the dark one and his phobia while Shaitan warps reality and makes the tunnels close in, simular to what he did to Mogheidin. The problem is how would Rand counter it? He can't change reality so that's out of the question, blast the rock with balefire?

Maybe Rand will find a way to tap into his Ta'veren chance altering. Ive speculated on this a bit and I think it could fit but is probably wrong. Anyway, I always believed that the Wheel is an aspect of reality which causes time to be circular, souls to be reborn, and existence to occur as it should. And the Dragon, the Wheels champion, will be born when the order of existence is threatened-this we all know. But I think the Dragon may somehow be able to harness reality when the time comes. Maybe he will create a fold in reality-a void in the Pattern-and trap the Dark One in it.

Yeah, Rand's ta'veren ability might save him from being crushed in the tunnel by Shaitans reality warp, but to make that work I still think that he will have to conquer his claustrophobia. If he by being claustrophic feels that the walls are closing in, the walls probably will be closing in.

But I don't think being ta'veren will win the last battle for him. It will probably keep him on the path to the confrontation with the Dark One, but at location he will have to fight and not just rely on his ta'veren ability.

This is how I think the confrontation will play out:

1. A fight around Shayol Ghul. Involving the heroes and the horn.

2. Rand fights Moridin at the opening. The link between them making the fight both physical and mental.

3. Rand moving alone into the tunnel. (Like in Egwenes dream)

4. Shaitan tries to crush him by narrowing the space in the tunnels. Rand defeats his claustrophobia, and somehow counters the reality warp.

5. Arriving at the Pit of Doom, Shaitan will probably try to turn Rand, and then there will be a battle of will/spiritual battle, which will end with Rand closing the bore by making it as it's supposed to be in the first place, and not closing it with the One Power like before. I don't even think Rand will have to channel. So him him being gentled wouldn't had been a problem. ;)

6. In the aftermath Rand's old wound opens up and he crawls out from the tunnel bleeding, and disappear in obscurity. Not many knowing if he's dead or alive.

Sorry for spoiling the ending for you. ;) Joke aside, i'm probably wrong as hell. :D

P.S. I think Rand's to live you must die, happen before all this.

Ta'veren is not some kind of superpower Rand can use when and how he wants.

No of course not. (The discussion derailed from being centered around Rand's claustrophobia.) But we know that his ta'veren ability is changing and that he can control it in a fashion: Rand now can see Mat and Perrin just by thinking about them, so what's more going to change when the pattern is loosening up??

I'm not especially sold on the theory of Rand's ta'veren ability evolving. But we still have the problem with Shaitan warping reality around the Pit of Doom, and being able to crush Rand between the walls in an instant. What's going to stop that? The only other power we know of that might possibly do that is Ta'veren, so is especially far fetched that Rand's ta'veren ability in some way might neutralize Shaitans reality warp?

But like I said, it's not going to win the Last Battle for him.

I always presumed the claustrophobia was purely a way of describing the conditions he'd survived in when they put him in the crate.

It has had too much foreshadowing to be something that simple. I mean it's even mentioned in the last book:

The room was fairly large as inn rooms went, yet not compared to most chambers in Algarin's manor house, much less in a palace. Especially not with near a dozen people filling the space. The walls seemed to close in on Rand. His chest suddenly felt tight. Every breath came with difficulty. The bond was suddenly full of sympathy and concern.

The box. Lews Therin panted. Have to get out of the box!

Keeping his eyes on the windows—being able to see the Stone was a necessity, and seeing open air between the Dragon and the Stone, the open air above, loosened his breathing a little. Just a little—keeping his eyes fixed on the sky above the Stone, he ordered everyone to stand against the walls... Having them out of his line of sight made the room seem a little larger. Only a little, yet every inch was a blessed relief. The bond was filled with concern.

That level of claustrophobia is going to be a real problem when he has to enter the Pit of Doom. Or does anyone disagree?

No of course not. (The discussion derailed from being centered around Rand's claustrophobia.) But we know that his ta'veren ability is changing and that he can control it in a fashion: Rand now can see Mat and Perrin just by thinking about them, so what's more going to change when the pattern is loosening up??

The flashes the ta'veren kids see of eachother is not a sign of increasing "control". It is something that is pretty  uch being forced on them, and the only thing they can do to control this is to make themselves not think of the others.

Majsju, with control I didn't mean total control, I just meant being able to control the flashes.

And yes they can control them, or wouldn't you call it control if Rand deliberately thought about Mat constantly for one hour? And by doing that got an hour long flash of Mat, and by that being able to learn the location, and travel to it?

So theoretically he could find and go get Mat in an hour. All thanks to his ta'veren power. ;)

Theres a weave to recreate the effect of Ta'veren, even if only if a small area. Imagine what might happen if someone already Ta'veren used it. I know it isnt a superpower, but I think there will be a way for Rand to somehow use Ta'veren chance or enhance it, to force some shifting in the Pattern. I just dont think Mat and Perrin being present will mean they filled their role in Tarmon Gaidon. I think Rand may use their Ta'veren.

Of course, I could easily be wrong as its pure speculation. Get your shotguns out if you like, it isnt a major theory or anything.

If the claustrophobia plays any further part in this series, I think a very small part of it would be at the Pit of Doom since Rand is prophesied to die at that location.

The claustrophobia seems more Lews Therin's than Rand's

A more likely situation for the claustrophobia to play would be if saidar channelers manage to kidnap Rand again.

Bringing the claustrophobia up too frequently would get boring after awhile.

If the claustrophobia plays any further part in this series, I think a very small part of it would be at the Pit of Doom since Rand is prophesied to die at that location.

The claustrophobia seems more Lews Therin's than Rand's

A more likely situation for the claustrophobia to play would be if saidar channelers manage to kidnap Rand again.

Bringing the claustrophobia up too frequently would get boring after awhile.

It wouldnt get boring if it was thrown in with all the other suffering Rand goes through. I didnt realise it was as bad as it is. Four women in his head, a crazy mans mind joined to his, two never-healing wounds, one hand blown off, connected to a True Power user, severe nausea, eyesight problems, Taint-and-everything-else-damaged sanity, emotionally shut down, claustrophobic to hell... anything else? I hope we get a full Rand rebound before we see him die, it would be brilliant.

What makes you think the claustrophobia is more Lews Therins? Im sure once or twice Rand randomly reassured himself that he was no longer in the box.

Majsju, with control I didn't mean total control, I just meant being able to control the flashes.

And yes they can control them, or wouldn't you call it control if Rand deliberately thought about Mat constantly for one hour? And by doing that got an hour long flash of Mat, and by that being able to learn the location, and travel to it?

So theoretically he could find and go get Mat in an hour. All thanks to his ta'veren power. ;)

That's not part of being ta'veren. That is some new ability. Being ta'veren simply means that events, big and small are centered around you. It doesn't give you clairvoyance.

What makes you think the claustrophobia is more Lews Therins? Im sure once or twice Rand randomly reassured himself that he was no longer in the box.

The thoughts in Knife of Dreams Chapter 21, they were Lews Therin's.

The box, Lews Therin panted. Have to get out of the box!

[...]

Must get out, Lews Therin moaned. Have to get out.

Well, Lews Therrin was locked in that box too. It's not like he could take a smoke break.

Beat me to it. Rand panicked a lot more than Lews Therin judging from the other quote, the one Theodor89 posted. He had people standing at the edge of the room, he found it hard to breath. Seeing the sky brought relief. I'd say the claustrophobia is definitely Rands, Lews Therins to a moderately lesser degree.

From looking at the passage in the book, Lews Therin seems to go on about it more than Rand.  Rand seemed to be finished with it once everyone was out of his sight.

Also; the passage of being in the Far Madding cell, Lews Therin was the only one that panicked then.

Archived