DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Michael Jackson - It's A Knockout (Winner: Thriller; Runner Up: Beat It)

Corki

It's been a month or so since the last "It's A Knockout", but it returns for July. The previous contest was for winning songs from the Eurovision Song Contest, which was split into two threads. The overall winner was Marija Šerifović, who beat ABBA in the Grand Final.

"It's A Knockout" returns this week, and we are sticking with the longer format - and this means there are 16 songs instead of 8! Following the unexpected death of the musical genius that was Michael Jackson, the Band is focusing on his music for the month of July. I've picked 16 of his better known songs and thrown them into the contest as we determine what DM thinks is Michael Jackson's greatest song.

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel and music ORG, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Best Selling Single of 2008, Favourite Christmas Carol). Each day, 2 songs will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which is your favourite song of the two. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning song will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 song left as the winner at the end of the competition. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Rock With You lost to Beat It (0-3)

2. Thriller beat One More Chance (2-0)

3. Smooth Criminal beat The Way You Make Me Feel (2-0)

4. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough lost to Black or White (0-1)

5. Earth Song beat I Just Can't Stop Loving You (2-1)

6. Dirty Diana beat You Are Not Alone (2-0)

7. Human Nature lost to Billie Jean (1-3)

8. Bad beat Blood on the Dance Floor (2-1)

2nd Round

1. Dirty Diana lost to Black or White (0-2)

2. Beat It beat Earth Song (3-0)

3. Smooth Criminal beat Billie Jean (2-1)

4. Bad lost to Thriller (1-3)

Semi-Final

1. Beat It beat Smooth Criminal (3-1)

2. Thriller beat Black or White (4-1)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. Smooth Criminal beat Black or White (4-1)

Final

1. Beat It lost to Thriller (0-5)

THE CHOSEN SONGS

1. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough

This was the debut single of the 1979 album Off The Wall. Garnering critical acclaim for its composition, the track is considered the first song to showcase Jackson's talents, both as a singer and songwriter. It charted well in all countries.

2. Billie Jean

The song was the second single from the Thriller album. Another song to gain critical acclaim, it topped both the US Billboard and UK charts at the same time. The song is well known for its distinctive bass line and Jackson's vocal hiccups.

3. Beat It

Released in 1983, Beat It was the third single off the record breaking album, Thriller. It reached number 1 in a host of charts. The guitar solo is performed by Eddie Van Halen, and Jackson's first foray into rock 'n' roll.

4. Thriller

The last single from the Thriller album, the song is better known for its epic music video. MTV consider it one of the greatest songs of all time. the song itself is considered to be one of Jackson's signature songs.

5. I Just Can't Stop Loving You

This was the first of five consecutive number ones for Michael Jackson from the Bad album. It is a ballady duet with Siedah Garrett, even though many famous names were linked with the female vocals.

6. Bad

The second single from the Bad album, that reached number 1 is several countries worldwide. It was intended to be a duet with his rival, Prince.

7. Dirty Diana

The fifth single from the Bad album, and the final consecutive number 1. The song presented a harder rock sound similar to that of Beat It. Billy Idol's former guitarist Steve Stevens was hired to back him on the track.

8. Smooth Criminal

The seventh single from the Bad album, the song contains a fast-paced beat intertwined with Jackson's lyrics about a woman named Annie, who has been attacked in her apartment by an assailant. It charted at number 1 in many countries, but managed only 7 in the US, and 8 in the UK.

9. You Are Not Alone

An R&B ballad, it was the debut single from Jackson's 1995 album, HIStory. Written by R Kelly, it had good chart success, reaching number 1 on the US billboard. The music video is also notable for its scenes of semi-nudity.

10. Earth Song

Incorporating elements of blues, gospel and opera, the Earth Song was the second single from the HIStory album. Known for releasing socially conscious material, this was the first that overtly dealt with the environment and animal welfare. This is Jackson's best selling single in the UK.

11. Blood on the Dance Floor

This was the first single from Jackson's remox album, Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix. Peaking at number 1 in a host of countries, including the UK, it focuses on Susie, a predatory woman. The composition explores a variety of genres ranging from rock to funk.

12. One More Chance

Written for Jackson by R Kelly, it features on Jackson's Number Ones album. It failed in the US (83 on the US Billboard), but fared better in the UK, reaching number 5. It also happened to be Jackson's last new single in his life.

13. Rock With You

Released in 1979, this was Jackson's 3rd number 1 on the US Billboard as a soloist. It was one of the last big hits of the disco era, and was one of Jackson's most loved songs.

14. The Way You Make Me Feel

The third single from the Bad album, and therefore the third consecutive number 1. Jackson's mother requested a song with “a shuffling kind of rhythm", and Jackson duly delievered.

15. Human Nature

This was the fifth single from the Thriller album. It wasn't released in the UK, but peaked at number 7 in the US billboard. The ballad garnered many positive reviews from music critics. It has also been sampled and covered by many artists.

16. Black or White

The first single from the Dangerous album, it reached number 1 in just about every country it was released in! The song is a mix of hard rock, dance and rap, and promotes racial unity.

Round 1, Tie 1

Rock With You

Released in 1979, this was Jackson's 3rd number 1 on the US Billboard as a soloist. It was one of the last big hits of the disco era, and was one of Jackson's most loved songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey_fowOcRxA

vs.

Beat It

Released in 1983, Beat It was the third single off the record breaking album, Thriller. It reached number 1 in a host of charts. The guitar solo is performed by Eddie Van Halen, and Jackson's first foray into rock 'n' roll.

Voting ends Thursday 16th July 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times.

Corki

Marshal-General

ORG Leader

Round 1, Tie 2

Thriller

The last single from the Thriller album, the song is better known for its epic music video. MTV consider it one of the greatest songs of all time. the song itself is considered to be one of Jackson's signature songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjtctcuQ9Q

vs.

One More Chance

Written for Jackson by R Kelly, it features on Jackson's Number Ones album. It failed in the US (83 on the US Billboard), but fared better in the UK, reaching number 5. It also happened to be Jackson's last new single in his life.

Voting ends Friday 17th July 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 3

Smooth Criminal

The seventh single from the Bad album, the song contains a fast-paced beat intertwined with Jackson's lyrics about a woman named Annie, who has been attacked in her apartment by an assailant. It charted at number 1 in many countries, but managed only 7 in the US, and 8 in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUbAgfrvU0

vs.

The Way You Make Me Feel

The third single from the Bad album, and therefore the third consecutive number 1. Jackson's mother requested a song with “a shuffling kind of rhythm", and Jackson duly delievered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMrrbyUYO0

Voting ends Saturday 18th July 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 4

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

This was the debut single of the 1979 album Off The Wall. Garnering critical acclaim for its composition, the track is considered the first song to showcase Jackson's talents, both as a singer and songwriter. It charted well in all countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAJwyxG9qI

vs.

Black or White

The first single from the Dangerous album, it reached number 1 in just about every country it was released in! The song is a mix of hard rock, dance and rap, and promotes racial unity.

Voting ends Sunday 19th July 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 5

Earth Song

Incorporating elements of blues, gospel and opera, the Earth Song was the second single from the HIStory album. Known for releasing socially conscious material, this was the first that overtly dealt with the environment and animal welfare. This is Jackson's best selling single in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K89S0kfahWc

vs.

I Just Can't Stop Loving You

This was the first of five consecutive number ones for Michael Jackson from the Bad album. It is a ballady duet with Siedah Garrett, even though many famous names were linked with the female vocals.

(there is no official video)

Voting ends Monday 20th July 2009 at 10pm (GMT)

I thought I had voted...obviously not. Well, I'm voting for the Earth Song. i'm going to leave this up overnight as I am currently watching a DVD. The next tie will go up tomorrow morning.

*waves an angry fist at DSage*

Curse you! Ah well, the show must go on, and I get the deciding vote in the tie. So I am sticking with my original vote of Earth Song. As a result, the Earth Song wins 2-1 and advances into Round 2.

Time for the sixth tie of Round 1.

Archived