DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Meeting the (tor)Mentor - Attn Rochel

Lavinya

There were too few novices in the tower of late, with too few of those with the potential to progress far in their training. It was a pleasant thing to have a brand new girl signed into the novice books, until of course it intruded into Lavinya's own plans. Not that she had specific plans for the moment, but if she had they would be decidedly put out by being assigned to mentor the girl herself. It was not something an Aes Sedai refused, it was considered somewhat of an honour to tutor a new novice, but it was still an inconvenience she could do without. There was nothing to be done for it now; the Mistress of Novices had issued her request and Lavinya would comply. Oh how she hated to be at anyone's beck and call.

The brief note had told her nothing about the child in question, so Lavinya would have to find out for herself. Would the girl have spirit? Or would she be easily cowed? It was hard to decide which she preferred in a student, though there was a particular thrill in bending the strong willed into submission, something Lavinya prided herself as being rather skilled in. She always could tell after a few weeks whether a girl was strong enough to survive the tower - she considered herself somewhat of an early test. Her lips quirked upward slightly at the thought as she swept regally through the tower corridors, graciously nodding to those other sisters she passed and all but ignoring anyone else beneath her notice.

She was not a tall woman, but she carried herself with supreme grace well known to the women of her heritage in Arad Doman. Her skin was coppery and smooth, but her hair was a riotous tumble of vivid red curls, falling well past her shoulders. She did not wear her shawl, but her gown was of shimmering silver which declared her a Gray, a demure cut but so fine it neared on transparent, with red embroidery intricately circling the hem and sleeves.

The door Lavinya stopped before was no different from many of the others; the furnishings were simple in the novice quarters. Letting out one small, resigned sigh, Lavinya opened the door without bothering to knock, revealing a startled dark haired girl with coppery skin resembling her own. Another Domani. Why the mistress of novices thought it was wise to pair girls with Aes Sedai from her homeland was beyond Lavinya's comprehension. Perhaps it worked for other nations, but Domani women weren't renowned for being fast friends with one another. Lavinya gave the girl a brief, assessing glance, taking in the red-rimmed eyes and the irritating fact that she was much taller than herself. Tears already? This could prove more frustrating than she thought.

"I am Lavinya Sedai; I am to be your mentor." Lavinya at last softened her face somewhat with a small smile. "I will help you with your training, among other things. What is your name, child?"

Lavinya Morganen

Aes Sedai of the Gray Ajah

Rochel sat gingerly on the end of her bed, thinking up all manner of horrible things she might do to that light blasted Accepted.  She knew it was foolish to argue with someone, especially after being here such a short time.  But Rochel was not one to stand for useless wastes of time, and these 'hundred weaves' the accepted had prattled on about had indeed seemed useless.  A hundred weaves that in the end did nothing?  What was the point.  A snide remark, and a sharp discussion that had almost ended in a tussle on the floor had earned her a meeting with the Mistress of Novices' slipper.  That woman had quite an arm.

The redness in her eyes had not quite subsided when her door banged open and a curious looking Domani woman stepped inside.  Rochel jumped, bouncing on the bed and putting a fresh twinge into her wounded backside.  Getting to her feet, she dropped a respectful curtsey to the other Domani woman, something else she had recieved a sharp lesson about. 

"I am Lavinya Sedai; I am to be your mentor." Lavinya at last softened her face somewhat with a small smile. "I will help you with your training, among other things. What is your name, child?"

Rochel blinked in surprise.  This was her mentor?  She gave the woman another quick appraisal.  She was surprised to see that she was short, an odd attribute in a Domani.  The very red hair was interesting as well.  The very Domani dress was almost enough to get Rochel to smile.  She had almost given up on ever being able to wear those again.  It seemed anyone who gained the shawl was allowed to be whoever they wanted, rather than the mindless drone they expected of the novices.

"I am Rochel Dion," she said politely.  "Pleased to meet you Lavinya Sedai."

• 5 weeks later...

Being long trained in the Game of Houses, Lavinya did not miss the way Rochel's eyes scanned her new mentor as though assessing her suitability, or perhaps determining how easy this would be on her. A kindred spirit, plotting and planning her secret ambition? Or an infuriating ingrate that needed to be shown her place? Time would indeed tell. She was suitably meek in addressing Lavinya, but respect for their betters was something quickly stamped into all new initiates, and for those slow to comply it was also striped into their hides. Lavinya had learnt somewhat slowly that even the most hateful goat-loving accepteds and Aes Sedai were still deserving their due. It was her opinion on what they were due that had landed her in the most trouble, but a few sound switchings taught her to be a lot more subtle with her disrespect. Now, she bent her neck to no one; well near about anyway.

"Very good. Have you started your lessons with the power?" Lavinya let out a vexed tsk when Rochel nodded; she did not appreciate other Aes Sedai dabbling with her pupils before she had a chance to work with them. Each teacher had somewhat different methods, and it was a pain she could do without, having to retrain Rochel to understand her from the start. "No matter, we will assess your ability soon enough. For now I would like to get to know you a little better. Come."

Lavinya's arrogance was so deeply ingrained, even before joining the tower, that she never once gave a thought to the idea she may ever be disobeyed. Years as an Aes Sedai had only added to her dominating presence, and she had no doubt she could keep Rochel easily in line. Not so easily, should the girl prove troublesome, at least not easy for Rochel. Lavinya walked quickly through the corridors, not turning or pausing for the curtseys that followed in her wake as the pair encountered novices and servants in their path. Not that there were many, the novice quarters were far too empty for the hallways to be busy. Lavinya always found that part of the tower to be stifling, reminiscent of how she had felt when a novice herself. Everything was too cramped and plain, she was treated like misbehaving dirt, and would not train her fast enough. No, that was the past. She was Aes Sedai now, and when she said frog, novices started hopping.

When they emerged from the tower into the late morning sunlight, Lavinya breathed deeply and smiled. Out in the gardens was where she preferred to teach, with fresh air and warm sunlight, and the beauty of nature around them. The gardens at the White Tower were expansive and exquisitely tended, lending their beauty all year round, thanks to the touch of saidar. Lavinya slowed her pace somewhat, and led Rochel along a widely paved path. "I am not one for stuffy classrooms when I can help it. The majority of our private lessons will be held outside, in my private garden." Not all of the Aes Sedai bothered with their own gardens, Lavinya herself hadn't either, until one of her favoured pupils showed such a love for gardening that Lavinya had acquired one for her to work in. It had gone beyond that now of course, Lavinya found pleasure in the private place despite Elyna's long absence. It was tranquil here, and it was hers. And a tranquil place led to pleasant lessons.

There was a small wrought iron gate set to one side of the path that Lavinya steered Rochel to, opening it and preceeding her into the lush space. It was not overly large, but it was surrounded by a tall hedge of greenery, and filled with riotous colour. A stone bench sat beneath the shady branches of a large tree, and here Lavinya sat, waving Rochel down beside her. "This is my preferred setting for learning, and this is where you will meet me, starting tomorrow, first thing after breakfast." Lavinya smoothed a hand across her knees to settle the material of her gown and turned her dark gaze back to Rochel. "Until then, I would like to know you better, and of course allow you a better understanding of myself. You may also ask me questions, if you wish." She added magnanimously, for all the world as though granting a huge favour. "Obviously you are from Arad Doman, tell me about how it came to be you were written into the book of novices."

Lavinya

Rochel had met a fair number of Aes Sedai in her short stay at the White Tower, and had been astounded by the sheer arrogance and air of superiority some of them displayed.  Lavinya Sedai seemed not only to display these qualities in full, but to personify them.  As they walked to the private garden, Rochel began to feel a slight dread in the pit of her stomach.  She already knew this would not be a pleasant relationship.  The Aes Sedai attitude was just one more part of the ever growing list of things that irritated her about this place.  The fact that she would have daily contact with some of the worst of it ... she shuddered slightly at the thought.

The garden that Lavinya Sedai led her to was somewhat of a surprise.  Granted, she did not know the woman at all, but from her brief assessment of her, Rochel wouldn't have thought the Aes Sedai capable of anything ... pleasant.  She only winced a little as she was waved to sit down on the hard stone bench.

"This is my preferred setting for learning, and this is where you will meet me, starting tomorrow, first thing after breakfast." Rochel fought hard to contain a sigh.  The last remaining slivers of her free time were slipping away from her quickly.  She doubted that any of her chores could be given up in place of lessons.  "Until then, I would like to know you better, and of course allow you a better understanding of myself. You may also ask me questions, if you wish." Judging by her tone, the woman considered that to be a massive privelege, and one that she had better not abuse.  Rochel had no doubt that the wrong question would be less than pleasant. "Obviously you are from Arad Doman, tell me about how it came to be you were written into the book of novices."

"Yes Lavinya Sedai," Rochel said quickly.  "My mother dreamed of becoming Aes Sedai ever since she was little.  She failed her own testing years ago, but kind of held on to her dreams.  Well, my father and mother have a somewhat successful business as merchants, and they travel all over.  They decided I was old enough to learn ... the trade, and had be come along.  When we passed through Tar Valon on the way to Shienar, my mother insisted that I be tested as well.  And ... here I am.  It isn't the life I would have chosen, but-"  Realizing what she was saying, Rochel hastily bit her tongue and pointedly studied a cluster of small red flowers that stood nearby.  It wouldn't do to let the woman who would be spending the most time teaching her know her personal views on Aes Sedai and the White Tower.  She prayed fervently that the questions might lead in another direction.

So very similar, and yet polar opposites. Lavinya had strived to be all that she was destined to be, had longed for the power and prestige owed to Aes Sedai. She would have begged on bended knee to be admitted to the tower, if need be, but fortunately she had been saved from what would have been a humiliating experience by being found able to channel. "Few live the life they choose; it's what we do with what the wheel weaves that is important." Lavinya intoned, amusement lighting the depths of her dark eyes. "You do not care for Aes Sedai? You are hardly the first girl to become a novice who felt that way. It is of no consequence now, one day you will be Aes Sedai yourself, if you have what it takes. The tower does not give up it's initiates until they are ready, so you may as well resign yourself to the notion. I suggest applying yourself to your studies, the sooner you learn control the sooner you will either gain rank or be freed."

Rochel looked taken aback, and Lavinya smiled in earnest. "You expected a lecture from me on opinions you established well before ever seeing the White Tower? I don't encourage you to sprout it to whoever would listen; few will tolerate it and you'll find it difficult to sit after you were taught proper respect." Lavinya turned slightly so she could look into Rochel's face, shrugging off the irritation of having to look up slightly. "We may never become best friends, at you may spend all your time silently hating me and plotting ways to either run away or have your revenge. But I will do all in my power to see that you are taught properly, that you reach whatever potential you have. You will not hurt yourself or others with poor use of the power if I have anything to say about it. I will work you hard, but you will learn. I don't care to change your opinion of me, but I do care about your progress. If I have to make you hate me to push you to succeed, so be it. Do you understand?"

Lavinya

OOC:Way to make me look super slack by replying like, immediately! ;)

Unsure what to think of what Lavinya had said, Rochel pondered her words for a moment.  It was an odd mix of terror and relief that she was experiencing now.  Relief that there would be no pretenses, there would be no pretending to be friends.  Terror of just what this odd Domani Aes Sedai planned to do to make Rochel hate her that much.  It truly was an odd feeling.  One that she didn't particularly enjoy experiencing.

Finally, Rochel nodded in acknowledgement.  "Yes Aes Sedai," she said smoothly, and as meekly she could manage.  Despite the fact that they both knew this could be a rocky relationship, Rochel had no doubts that being able to express that dislike was going to be terribly one sided.

A few moments of silence reigned in the garden before anyone spoke up.  It was Rochel who spoke up first, with a question she wasn't sure she wanted answered.  "If I may ask Lavinya Sedai, just how is learning from you going to be different from learning from anyone else?"

Lavinya allowed the silence to stretch between them. She wanted her words to really sink in, and silence was a useful tool for truly revealing a person. It didn't work on her of course, Lavinya's patience could be boundless when necessary, and many years of training and practice had removed her discomfort with quiet. Eventually Rochel spoke first, as Lavinya had been almost certain she would. She already showed some promise however; there had been very minimal fidgeting in the interim.

"I did not say it was going to be different child, I said it would be hard. Life in the tower is hard for everyone, but most especially for novices. We need to weed out those who are too weak well before they can reach the shawl." Lavinya smiled, and it was almost sympathetic. Almost. She'd endured as much as any other novice in her time. "Don't get me wrong - we may well like each other remarkably well - but it has no bearing on your training. Now," Lavinya was all business again as she elegantly crossed one thigh over the other and arranged the sheer fabric of her skirts so that it fell perfectly, "in some ways I teach differently to other Aes Sedai, in the same way that we are all different women. I prefer to teach away from classrooms and the library, for example, and I believe in practical lessons. But one thing is always the same - we will go slow. Going to fast leads to all kinds of trouble...but we will discuss more about that in your lesson tomorrow."

Lavinya looked thoughtfully at Rochel and tapped her chin idly with one finger. So far the girl was behaving meekly as was appropriate for a novice, but just how much spirit did the girl have? Those that were too easily cowed would never achieve much either. What good was an Aes Sedai with no backbone? "Tell me Rochel...how long have you been a novice now? And how many trips have you made to the Mistress of Novices office?" Her expression remained neutral as she eyed the girl. Would she be honest? There was no denying that there had been at least one trip recently, from the uncomfortable way the girl sat on the hard bench. Perhaps that was the reason for the tears.

Rochel couldn't stand how this woman kept playing with her emotions.  She had felt momentary elation upon hearing about 'practical lessons'.  And she'd wanted to slap her when she once again stated that the lessons would be slow.  Luckily she resisted that particular urge, but her eyes narrowed and her mouth constricted, not quite into a pout.  It was unfortunate, however, that she maintained that irritation when Lavinya asked her next questions.  It was hard to moderate her tone properly.

"My mother brought me here a week ago.  As for the other ... enough to learn to watch what I say around Aes Sedai.  I seem to have problems with what I say around my 'betters'."  That last word was bitten off with ... not quite contempt, but close.  That had been the word that the accepted had used this morning to spark off her latest incident leading to the Mistress of Novices office.  "I still believe that respect should be earned, not blindly given."  Those words had been what almost led to the accepted pulling her down to the floor.  Or something similar to those words anyway.  She may have also added something about a 'goat-kissing, sheep-brained fool'.

As she fell quiet she wondered if perhaps she had just proven that she still hadn't learned to watch what she said.  Larindrha Sedai feared she would be a slow learner in this regard.  Oh well.  What was said was said.  Perhaps Lavinya Sedai would be a little lenient, seeing as she seemed to be trying to push Rochel's buttons.  It was doubtful, but she could always hope.

There was no denying that Lavinya's new pupil had fire in her belly. It glowed in her eyes as though she had suffered an injustice for being punished for disrespecting someone she obviously deemed unworthy of anything better. Spirit was good; foolishness and arrogant pigheadedness was not. Time would tell whether Rochel was malleable enough to be of use. "I'm not sure if you have been to the mistress of novices quite enough to learn to guard your tongue." Lavinya arched a brow at Rochel but her amusement was evident despite her stern tone. "But you are young yet; you will learn or find your hide permanently striped." Lavinya did smile then, noting how she herself had such similar sentiments as a novice and indeed, even now as an Aes Sedai. Consider this your first lesson. Give only what information you must - it saves you from incriminating yourself and being forced to fabricate a lie to cover your slips."

What Rochel would make of it was up to her. If she was smart she would take it to heart, after all playing your cards close to your chest was one step closer to thinking like an Aes Sedai, and that is what this girl was aspiring to be. Well, she would be, once she got over her foolish prejudice and accepted her fate. "Your second lesson is to always listen, for what is not said as much as what is." Lavinya would normally not bother to teach a novice such subtleties as these, but an idea was lurking in the corner of her mind, one that she felt a need to pursue. Should it not come to fruition, the worst that would happen was that Rochel would learn some useful skills and she herself would waste some time. A small price for what could be... "For example, I already have determined that you are a rather rash girl who speaks before thinking, and if I am not mistaken, you are stubborn." Again she quirked a brow in question, almost ready to bet her eyeteeth that she was correct.

"What skills do you possess, Rochel? I would like to play to your strengths as much as remove your weaknesses. Have you any knowledge of the game of houses? Were you taught to read and write, and do sums? I do not want to leap ahead to a run if you still have not mastered crawling. I would know some of your interests too, your hobbies. Not that you will have much time to pursue them now, but I want an accurate picture of you before we start working with saidar. And," Lavinya added before Rochel could speak, "you may ask any question of me today without penalty. As of tomorrow, foolish questions will be punished, but ask the right ones and you may find me an indulgent teacher." Lavinya's dark eyes gleamed a challenge. Would Rochel prove capable for her plans? Perhaps.

Lavinya

• 2 weeks later...

She wasn't quite sure what to make of these 'lessons' Lavinya offered.  Only say what you must and listen to everything, including what wasn't said ... being Aes Sedai sounded very much like being a merchant.  Perhaps that was the Domani in her mentor coming out?  At any rate, it didn't sound too difficult.  And perhaps it would be a good idea to guard her tongue more, if only to slide by without quite so many incidents.

Choosing to ignore the comments about her being rash and stubborn (she would prove that she could guard her tongue when needed), Rochel moved on to Lavinya Sedai's other questions.  "Yes, I can read and write, and do arithmetic.  A merchant is useless without those skills.  I do not know much of the great game, other than the fact that nobles use it to lie, cheat, and steal each other blind."  She had hated Cairhein for that very reason.  It seemed as though everyone had weighed every last thing she said or did for some hidden meaning.

Rochel paused for a moment to think over the remaining question.  What were her hobbies and interests?  "I always enjoyed fishing with my brothers.  And I used to like dancing ... I wish I could still do that."  She wasn't sure what else to say.  She'd had a great deal of fun leading boys on the last couple of years, but that didn't seem like something she should bring up to an Aes Sedai.  Even a Domani one.  "I spent a great deal of time reading as well ... that was always enjoyable."

All the while, Rochel searched for a good question to ask.  One that she wouldn't dare have asked normally.  She hoped Lavinya had meant what she said about no penalties.  "All of these chores that we're made to do.  How are those meant to 'build character'?  Aren't they more for keeping us busy and tired than anything else?"