DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is our fate? (Closed) Attn: Covai

Reclined in a chair, watching over the recovering Storm Leader, Arath couldn't help but feel exasperated.  Nearly a full day had passed, and still Covai hadn't moved.  The best healers at the Farm had done all they could for him, even using one of the few angreal the Black Tower posessed.  Severe burns, several cracked bones, even the horrible damage he had inflicted on his own hand with his foolish attack had been repaired completely.  Indeed, there was nothing wrong with him now, but he remained asleep. 

It really wasn't surprising after the healing he had gone through.  It was amazing that he had lived through the collapse of the stables, let alone the fight with Brent.  The man was stubborn, Arath had to give him that.  He had earned his rest.

He would probably need it.  Arath suspected that Covai's real problems had just begun.  So many of the Asha'man had approached Arath, as well as the other Attack Leaders and Storm Leaders, wanting to know what was to become of them.  Arath had assured them that this changed nothing.  Control of the Black Tower had switched around before.  Perhaps not in such spectacular fashion, certainly not with everyone watching like that, but it had changed.  This was no different.

Only this time, Arath wasn't so sure.  The fate of the Black Tower lay in the hands of the unconscious man in front of him, but he wasn't sure how good a thing that was.  Covai had seemed to slip into his own madness during that battle.  Might they be exchanging one crazed M'Hael for another?  Only time would tell. 

As if on cue, the Storm Leader stirred in his bed the first movement he had made in a day.  Arath quietly rose from his chair, stretching out stiff muscles and slowly crossing the distance.  Covai was blinking the sleep from his eyes, and seemed to be getting his bearings.  Arath took a quick glance at the clock.  Twenty three hours, forty seven minutes.  Damn. 

"Burn you Covai!" he said, feigning anger.  "You made me lose the bet.  I said you wouldn't wake up for at least twenty four hours.  Think you can fake sleep for another fifteen minutes?"

"Yehmyhummmff.."

It was all Covai could managed to say before rolling over and dry retching over the side of the bed. Using one hand to stop himself falling to the floor, Covai blindly hobbled his other hand into the air looking for a mug or something similar.

"Water..."

Fighting a wave of nausea and soreness as Arath pushed him into an upright position, Covai shakingly clutched the wooden mug between his two hands. Resting his back against the wall, Covai had to blink a few times to adjust his vision.

"What time is it?"

"About lunch."

"Oh....I recovered that quickly?"

"Lunchtime the next day."

The brief attempt at humor did little to ease Covai's consiousness. The fact Arath was watching over him did even less to assure the sense of danger knawing at this still fuzzy mindset. Reverrting to silence as he collected the thoughts, it was Covai who first broke the quiet.

"So...I guess you're wondering what next eh?"

"Me and everybody else in the bloody tower Covai."

Tired as he was, Covai still knew his friend well enough to pick up on the frustration and confusion that underpinned his angry tone. Placing his mug slowly down onto the bedside table, Covai rested his forehead on his palms, scratching his head softly.

"We follow the Dragon's orders. Thats all there is."

"Covai...." The frustration in Arath's voice was starting to grow.

"Hold." Covai held his palm up. "I said thats all there is. I didn't say that's all that needs to be done to do it. Call the surviving Storm Leaders together. I need to speak to them."

Reaching for his water mug again, Covai didn't meet Arath's eyes. It wasn't until he heard the door close behind the Attack Leader that he let out the breath he had been holding. He just prayed to the Creator that what he had in mind would work. If the tower split now, he may as well have died in the battle with Brent.

Arath bit his tongue as Covai dismissed him to gather up the Storm Leaders.  No explanations this time?  Fine.  Covai had to have his reasons.  There didn't appear to be any signs of madness in the man right now, so Arath decided to let him be.  Closing the door behind him, Arath hurried downstairs to the common room of Covai's Inn.

Only Haykes Pedrion was still there, the rest of the Storm Leaders having left to fulfill their other duties.  When Haykes saw Arath coming down the stairs the Shienaran broke off his conversation with a pair of Asha'man and hurried over to speak with the younger Attack Leader.

"How is he?  Any changes yet?"

Arath nodded.  "He just woke up.  He said he wants to see you and the other Storm Leaders."

Haykes nodded.  "Good.  The other's went back to the M'Hae- ... to Brent's palace.  As far as I know they're all still there.  They didn't leave that long ago." 

Arath nodded and headed toward the door.  On the way he caught one of the serving girls by the arm.  "Covai woke up.  He'll be starving, so send up a LOT of food."  When the girl had run off to the kitchens with a loud squeak, Arath continued out the door.

Walking across the grounds gave him a little time to think.  What was going to happen now?  Killing Brent and three Storm Leaders had never been part of the plan, and although Arath didn't consider it a bad thing, it did have the potential to change everything.  How would the White Tower react?  The only formal interactions the Aes Sedai had had with the Farm had been through Brent.  It might make things more difficult when they found out that Brent had been killed by the very man who went to negotiate with their Amyrlin.

The quick pace Arath had set quickly led him to the large central mansion of the Farm.  Brent's almost-palace.  As he stepped inside he was immediately accosted by an eager looking dedicated. 

"Baijin'm'hael, has the M'Hael awoken yet?"

Arath blinked in confusion.  "The M'Hael?"

The dedicated nodded.  "Yes, M'Hael Seriba.  Is he awake yet?"

Arath couldn't help but smirk.  How long would Covai stand for that one?  "Yes, he is awake.  He sent me to find the Storm Leaders.  Do you know where they are?"

In short order, they had all been tracked down and Arath delivered his message and Arath found himself outside Covai's door.  All six surviving Storm Leaders were gathered inside, but a quick glance from Covai let Arath know that he was not to be allowed inside.  Leaning back against the wall, Arath resigned himself to guard duty, making sure nobody disturbed the meeting inside.

Covai's tired gaze took in the five men he had summoned.

Summoned..?

His own use of the word caught him off guard. They were all the same rank. They were all Tsrovan'..

"...Mhael..."

Despite his exhaustion, Covai's gaze managed to cut the Saldean man's words short. The man was Rorol Baldere, aged in his forties. One of only two Borderlanders in the room, and probably had more experience fighting the shadow then the rest of them combined...with a blade at least. Covai knew the man meant no disrespect. Light, the man was trying to pay him a compliment if anything. Having a man with twice your age and experience bow to you was no small event, but it wasn't something Covai could afford to enjoy... or tolerate.

Letting out a sigh as he ran his fingers though his hair, Covai quietly broke the tension that had been hanging around the room since before the men had even entered.

"Don't call me that Rorol. Daerik, Joeran, Waeyl, Hayeks, that goes for you all as well."

Covai tried not to smile as the confusion spread over the men's faces.

"I don't know if any of you know this, but that would make me the fifth M'hael since I first came to the tower."

"Dramon, one of the forsaken, Dalinarius, Brent, and me."

"The second was before any of you had joined." Covai continued before the men could raise objections to his words. "Don't argue the point with me. The man nearly broke the tower the same as Brent did. It took four Storm Leaders, six Attack Leaders and light knows how many other lives before we could bring him down." The sadness in Covai's voice was all he had to convince the men of the truthfullness of his words.

"Each of these men took the title of M'hael, of Leader. Some, like Dramon and Dalinar thought that meant to lead us to a path where we could exist safely, without killing our families when we went mad."

"Others, like Brent, felt the term translated more litterally, more military. They felt that whoever held the position of M'hael possessed an inate right to command the men and women of the Black Tower to do as they, and they alone see fit."

"Their translation was wrong. Or at least the context of the translation was, and is wrong." A sombre silence and replaced the tension in the room. Covai had rarely spoken like this before, and the men all knew it. Covai had gained and held is position due to a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and for the sheer luck that the gambles he had taken had paid off more often than not. Whether they were impressed or shocked, at least they were listening to his words.

"I feel the phrase M'hael translates more accurately as one who guides. A leader in battle stands around shouting orders. Any man with a set of lungs can do that. A leader in the community stands around telling people what they should do. Again, any man with a set of lungs can do that."

Covai paused briefly to stretch his legs out from underhim. The weight he had been feeling on his shoulders seemed to have pressed him firmly down into the bed. Hanging his legs over the side of the bed as he stretched, Covai used the time to let the men starting thinking for themselves before he continued.

"We are Asha'man above and beyond all else. We are guardians, protectors when all else have fled, and we will still stand when all is lost. If we are to call ourselves Tsrovan'M'hael, Storm Leaders, we need to do more than stand and shout orders."

"When we arrive in battle, the enemy will be helpless against us. They will know nothing but the sheer fury of our attacks, the unrelenting strength that we wield. They will know that they have more chance surviving a storm of nature than a storm of our power."

"Yet for the survivors, a storm brings new beginings. Old buildings and structures may be torn down, and soil and supports washed away, but what remains is the grounding for a new beginging. A fresh start amidst the ruins of destruction. Crops will grow again, grass will grow, and animals and life will return to the land."

"That is our role come Tar'Mon'Gaidon gentlemen. That is the sole purpose for why we exist. After the Storm of Battle has blown, and our existance is all but forgotten, there will be proof of our deeds and actions in what we leave behind for those that follow us."

Covai looked each man in the room straight in the eyes before he asked his question.

"Is there anyone here who disagrees?"

There was silence as each of the men looked to each other. They were all Storm Leaders of the Black Tower, and reliable men who knew what they were doing to boot. Still, having somebody say outloud something you know to be true could strangley make you second guess yourself. Trick questions, changed wordings and deception were rife in the world, especially amongst those with any semblence of power.

Without realising it, Covai let out a sigh of relief when all the men nodded. The only hesitation between them seemed to be over him stating the obvious. With a small smile, Covai decided he could live with that.

"Good. In that case I propose removing the stand alone position of M'hael from the Tower." Covai sound see a few jaws clench at his idea, so he decided it was best to keep talking while he could. The men were half humouring, half defering to him after his battle with Brent. Whilst it felt nice to be respected...if he could call it that... it wasn't going to last if he merely followed in the footsteps of those who had come before.

"The tower's only loyalities are to the Dragon, and through him every man woman and child alive. The M'hael is supposed to take care of the tower and prepare the men here to be weapons for the Dragon when and where he needs us. Sadly, the position of M'hael has just created a platform for conflict. Power corrupts, and absolute power is kinda fun."

Covai shrugged at the poor joke he had made. "You all know it's true. No man should be able to control that amount of power by himself. Nor could he if you think about it. Create conflict and discord amongst the ranks, and fractures will form, whether it be for better of worse. You all saw it's results yesterday."

"I believe a council of sorts may be the best option. If Storm Leaders are good enough to command in a life or death battle, they should be good enough for day to day operations."

"On that topic, there's now only six of us. We need an odd number if we want to avoid being deadlocked. Besides, I think seven has a good ring to do it, don't you?"

Aside from a disbelieving gruff from Joeran, the response was fairly quiet. The Andoran never really had been one for jokes.

"And just who do you suggest the seventh member of this council is?" The question was Waeyl's this time. The Tairen man had been the most recently promoted of all the Storm Leaders, yet his tone was clearly mixed with a grudge about giving up his new territory. Understandable, but not acceptable.

"Arath."

The room once again fell silent as the men dwelled on their thoughts. It was Rorol who spoke first. "I guess he's the strength to stand against any Storm Leader.. or two. Sounds fair enough to me. " The humor in the Saldean's voice was evident of his opinion. It was probably as high a recomendation as one was likely to get from the man either.

"I wouldn't like to face him in a fight." Daerik added. The Domani clearly acknowledging Arath's skill. Each of this men came from a different corner of the land. If they could all agree on something, it was safe to say it was a sure bet. Not that the choice wasn't already clear in Covai's mind before he voiced it.

"He held things together in the aftermath well enough as well. Things could have been a lot worse if not for his thinking." Haykes Shienaran accent held a clear tone of respect.

Covai nodded his head at Hayke's point. "Then that makes four of us agreed."

"Five"

"Six"

Covai's eyes turned to Joeran and Waeyl. The two men merely looked back at him. "Well light burn me. A man gets the last word in and suddenly it's as if he had been fighting tooth and nail against the whole idea." The mock indignity in Joeran's managed to ease the tension that at flickered across the room.

"Alright, alright, point taken." Covai conceeded with a smile as he held his hand up in defence.

"So, somebody mind going and saving our newest council member from the boredom of the corridor?"

Sitting in the hall was boring.  So far the only excitement Arath had had was turning away a pair of dedicated and an Asha'man, all inquiring about M'Hael Seriba.  He wondered who had started that up, and what Covai would do to him when he found out.  Considering how Covai had always felt about the position, he didn't think it would go well.

He was finally saved from his boredom when the door to Covai's room cracked open.  Daerik Ladryn poked his head out and motioned to Arath.  Wondering what kind of errand they needed him to run, Arath pushed off from the wall and started forward.  To his surprise, the Domani man pulled open the door and invited him in.  Not sure what was going on, he cautiously entered the room.

All six surviving Storm Leaders were spread throughout the room, and every eye focused an appraising look upon him.  It was a little unsettling.  Rorol Baldere broke the silence after a few uneasy moments.  "We've been having a little discussion about you Arath.  About what kind of man tries to take on the M'Hael and a pair of storm leaders."

"A bloody fool I say," grunted Waeyl Daasel, "but a brave one.

"But not one we want as Baijin'M'Hael," said Haykes.  Arath blinked in surprise.  He was being relieved of his position?

"Oh enough of this," Joeran said gruffly.  "Stop bloody messing with him."  He turned his gaze on Arath.  "Covai wants a seventh Storm Leader for his ruling council, and you've been chosen to fill the spot."  He paused for a moment.  "Congratulations, Tsorovan'M'Hael."

Arath would have thought it was a joke, only Joeran was well known at the Farm for not having a sense of humour.  He still glanced at Covai to make sure.  His friend was simply smiling into his mug again.  A tap at the door gave Arath a moment to collect himself.  The girl Arath had spoken to earlier came in bearing a large tray of food which she set on the table next to Covai.  She quickly scurried from the room when she noticed everyone silently watching her.

As Covai set into his food, everyone else shifted their focus back to Arath.  "Thank you," he said simply.  "All of you.  So what is this council you spoke of Joeran?"

"The M'hael position will be no more" Covai interrupted.

"The Black Tower's only loyalty is to the Dragon. Instead of that though the Black Tower has had another man take the role of leading. Remember the incident with Aginor?" Despite how much the man had to take in, Covai could still see Arath was visibly moved by the comment.

"I'll take that as a yes." Covai continued before his friend could speak. "Brent falls into the same catagory. Put simply, the tower no longer needs a M'hael".

"Instead the Tsorovan'M'Hael will form a council. There are seven of us, from just about every corner of the land. We report to the Dragon and the Dragon alone. Working with us where we need them, will be the Baijin'M'Hael. All in all the Council of Guardians will have a score plus one for their ranks. Two Attack Leaders for every Storm Leader." Covai hadn't spoken of this, and to be honest the words were flowing from his mouth before he even realised he had spoken. He had no idea how far the reach of Ta'veren extended, but he could swear to the Creater himself that he hadn't thought of the Attack Leaders being in the council an hour ago.

As everyone took his words to consideration, a thought of his own stuck Covai. "On that topic, I believe we may be a few short on Baijin'M'Hael." The Storm Leader's eyes took in the six men infront of him. He had spoken enough this day. It was time for them to have their voices heard.

"Any recomendations?"