DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Called to a Dance.....((Attn: Thera and other Blademasters))

Sieve

Perivar and Kabria had only just returned to the White Tower.  They barely had time to get settled in when a novice knocked on the door handing Perivar a sealed letter.  Perivar went to hand the parchment to Kabria then realized that it was addressed to him.  Who could possibly have sent him a letter.  Perivar was a solitary person, he only had a handful of people at the Tower that he considered a friend. 

Cracking the seal Perivar read the letter then set it down.  Kabria sensed something through the bond for she turned to him asking what was the matter.  I have been summoned by Mistress Thera, I have to attend her tomorrow at first light.  Perivar wondered what this was about?  He could not think of a reason for him to be summoned unless he had violated some rule.  It ate at him the rest of the day and that night he barely slept.

Bright and early Perivar left Kabria's rooms making his way through the Green Quarters then out of the Tower.  Not knowing what he was about, Perivar donned all of his armor and strapped on his weapons.  His helmet was the only thing that he had not put on, instead he carried it under his left arm.

Perivar crossed the yards quicker than he had realized for suddenly Mistress Thera came into sight.  There were others with her though they were huddled together so that he could not make out their faces.  What under the Light had he done now?

It felt strange to be in the Tower again after so much time had passed. They had been through so much since they had been gone and she was proud to say that they had come out all the better for it. She turned to take the parchment from him and was shocked when she saw his name scrawled on the front.

In the past she would have been suspicious at the obviously feminine handwriting, but now she went right back to putting away her dresses. Knowing that he would tell her if she needed to know.

Kabria’s eyebrow twitched at the mention of the strict Mistress of Trainee’s. What could she want with Perivar? He was a Warder now and under her command not the White Tower’s. The next day when she sent him off she smiled and tried to send reassuring thoughts through the bond, since she could feel his nerves.

Kabria Delondre

Bonded Heart and Soul to Perivar Tarigan

Thera woke up early to assure that she had extra time to spend with Lyss before she was due to meet with Perivar. Sadly the little girl chose this morning to want to sleep in. Try as she would she couldn’t interest her little bunny in anything more than a morning hug. Sighing Thera went to find out if there were any papers that would need her attention. It seemed that this morning there was nothing for her to do.

When she’d gone on maternity leave and taken on Dragar her workload had been lessened considerably and with him still taking a share she found herself with far more time to spend with Lyss and in the Yards teaching classes for trainees. Teaching had been the reason she’d taken this job to begin with and it felt good to get back to it.

She killed the next hour going over her forms and doing a limbering work out. It had not yet been decided if she would be the one to challenge Perivar, but she wanted to be ready if she was. He was taller than her and much broader, his sheer strength would make up for his lesser skill. One of her fellow Blademasters was the first to see him crossing the yards and they all stood and faced him, watching him approach.

Kynwric had just joined the group when Perivar emerged from the Tower, the motion coming from the direction he had himself just emerged made Kyn glance up to see who was approaching and then he looked back and mentioned their candidates approach to the gathered group. They were all here for one reason, to see if this man was worthy to be admitted to their ranks and carry the heron mark upon his blade. Kyn did not know if one had been chosen to mix blades with Perivar yet, but he knew they would all wear one and any could take up the fight if needed.

It did not take long for Perivar to notice that all of the assembled wore the heron mark on their blades.  He was dismayed to find that two of the Blademasters were women.  His one major weakness and they had to know it.  On top of that one of them was Thera herself.  He had a history with her that could certainly work against him.  Perivar took a deep breath then stepped closer. 

Stopping several feet from the assembled Blademasters, Perivar saluted them with his sword leaving his singuata hanging from his belt.  "As you have summoned, so have I come."  His deep voice sounded confident though inside he was a bundle of nerves.  It probably would have been wise to assume the void though there were times when he disliked pushing his emotions aside, especially when he was with Kabria.  Doing so always made him feel distant and isolated from everyone else.

Recovering from his salute, Perivar sheathed his sword and awaited their instructions.

Thera eased her sword in her scabbard and took a step forward; eyeing Cairma and Kynwric in turn. They all knew of his weakness, her perhaps better than the rest. If he was to be found worthy he would have to overcome his greatest setback…. His inability to raise his sword to a woman.

If he had any hope of protecting Kabria, as the young spitfire would surely need, he would have to learn that his enemies will come in many forms, man or woman.

“I Thera Trakelyn challenge you Perivar Tarigan to see if you will be found worthy of the title Blademaster. Will you accept?”   She liked Perivar, but she felt a small tinge of anger as he hesitated. She would teach him that women could fight as well as men.

“I Thera Trakelyn challenge you Perivar Tarigan to see if you will be found worthy of the title Blademaster. Will you accept?”  If this were a training duel with lathes Perivar would have readily accepted.  How was he to raise a weapon against a woman, it went against everything he had been taught as a child.  Women in the borderlands were protected from harm not attacked.  Surely women had fought by their side though no Borderlander would dare think of harming a woman.

Perivar recalled his first meeting with Mistress Thera.  She startled him so bad that he had drawn his weapon before he realized it was her.  He had payed for that insult, cleaning the privy as well as other nasty places had served as his punishment.  Mistress Thera had made his punishment tougher than need be for she thought he was being foolish.

Perivar had nearly died in Shienar because of his reluctance to fight a woman.  He defended himself though he would not strike her.  If Kabria had not come to his aid he would have likely died. 

Clearly this was their plan, they knew his weakness.  He had known deep down inside that it would be Thera who challenged him.  Likely she would take it the wrong way though clearly she knew she was more skilled than he.  She was a Grandmaster after all.  It had nothing to do with skill, it was about principle.

Perivar shook his head side to side.  He steeled his voice, deep and loud for all to hear.  "You know I will not bare steel against a woman.  Not unless it is against a darkfriend or in defense of my Aes Sedai."  Perhaps he could defend himself but not strike, even that seemed to violate his beliefs.

Thera’s lips pulled back into a silent snarl and the void was all that kept her from running him through with steel. It was still Borderland pride that ruled him, she had some hope that Kabria could have taught him the foolishness at being over prideful, but since she had not Thera would.

She knew that Perivar had it in him to be one of the best. He was methodical and focused and quick on his feet for a man his size. “I did not waste two years on your training to have you fail me now.” Shrugging out of her coat Thera tossed it aside and drew her weapon. The others had backed away to give them room. They all watched on silently, their hard eyes disapproving at his denial. “You will fight Perivar or you will not walk away.” Thera had always believed in tough love and now was the time for that with one of her favorite students. She made a small motion and the other Blademasters made a loose ring around them, each with a hand on their weapon. It gave Perivar no choice, but to stay.

“Your Aes Sedai would hate to have to bury you Perivar.” She taunted. “I thought you would do anything for her? I thought she was your world?” It was not protocol or common to harass a perspective Blademasters, or force him into the duel, but Thera was determined to break her former students block, even if it meant him hating her for it in the end. “Poor Kabria, she has bonded a weakling who does not care enough for her to stay alive.”

Advancing on her toes she started towards him and steeled herself for what she may have to do.

Her silent snarl told him he was not going to be able to simple refuse.  He knew she would take his refusal all wrong.  He did not doubt her skill, he knew her worth.  All reason went out the window when she removed her coat and drew her sword.  His eyes were focused on hers, she was like a predator.

The other Blademasters moved into a ring around them.  He had no choice now, it was either defend himself or die.  “Your Aes Sedai would hate to have to bury you Perivar.” She taunted. “I thought you would do anything for her? I thought she was your world?”  “Poor Kabria, she has bonded a weakling who does not care enough for her to stay alive.”   Despite their differences Perivar had always respected Mistress Thera though her words cut him deep.  The knowledge that she was trying to goad him did not lessen the sting.  His beliefs of right and wrong were warring with his love for Kabria and his oath of service to her.  He could not love her or serve her if he was dead, but he could not attack a woman.  Not in defense of his own life.

Advancing on her toes she started towards him.  Her blade was lightning quick.  His singuata came into his hand and barely blocked the blow in time.  She could have killed him! "Light this is madness Thera!  You know I can't." The honorific only dropped out of need to get his words out quickly.

As her second blow came he finally drew his sword though only to defend.  Her sword carried more force than he had prepared for.  "I will not strike at you!"  Stepping back he heard a voice caution him that he could not leave the makeshift ring.  Spinning slightly to the side he backed toward the center of the ring slowly circling in the form The Creeper Embraces the Oak trying to fend off Thera's assault. 

Thera did not go easy on her student. Immediately she used Arc of the Moon a form meant to take off an opponent’s head. He raised his sword just in time to block her slash, but she gave him no time to recover; pushing him back against the bared blades of her fellow Blademasters. The Board Rushes Down the Mountain was pared with The Tower of Morning, causing him to stumble back into one of the Master who gave him fair warning. Flowing back to the center of the ring with him she danced around him, planning her next move. If he refused to fight she would make him work to keep his life. She used the Creeper Embraces the Oak to keep him off balance while she threw another string of insults.

“You will strike at me or you will die Perivar. The choice is yours!  I am sure your lovely flower of an Aes Sedai would prefer you strike. What would she say if she could see you now? Cowering and pathetic, afraid to strike a woman for fear of your Borderland honor! Were not all those ties broken when you came here? Did you not give up all other allegiance when she took your bond?!”

Like lighting she advanced again and this time one of her slashes hit home, pulling her blade back red with blood. She wanted to grimace with the sight, but wrapped in the void she continued her onslaught of insults and rapid strikes. She had meant what she’d said, he would fight or he would die.

Thera was lightning fast, it was only sheer luck that had kept him alive to this point.  Her speed was even more of an advantage as he was heavily armored while she wore simple cloth.

“You will strike at me or you will die Perivar. The choice is yours!  I am sure your lovely flower of an Aes Sedai would prefer you strike. What would she say if she could see you now? Cowering and pathetic, afraid to strike a woman for fear of your Borderland honor! Were not all those ties broken when you came here? Did you not give up all other allegiance when she took your bond?!”

Perivar had no opportunity to respond, all of his effort was on defense.  The inevitable finally happened, Thera's slash took him right above the vambrace on his left arm.  In the void it was as if it happened to someone else though his eyes caught sight of the blood on her whirling blade.  The cut was not bad considering that she could have taken his arm below the elbow.  Over time it would become a hindrance.

Somehow Perivar was able to create some distance.  "Light and peace Thera! I did not ask for this"  He shouted "you summoned me!"  He stopped talking to concentrate on his defense as she rained more blows upon him.  Her blade whirled clanking as it touched his armor.  If not for his armor he would have been severly cut by now. 

"Had I known I would have refused your summons.  I did not ask for this!" Desperately Perivar dodged whenever he could while he moved his sword and singuata in an attempt to block her attacks.  It would only be a matter of time before she connected again. 

Quickly he shook his head to move the sweat dampened hair from his eyes.  He tried to shout over the clashing of blade on blade and blade on armor.  "I gave up my other allegiances when we bonded but I will not strike a woman unless my Aes Sedai's life is in danger.  It is not your concern, that is between her and I!"  Perivar heard Thera's sword pass within an inch of his ear though he failed to notice the lock of hair as it dropped to the ground.  That last blow had been too close for comfort but he could not bring himself to strike at her.

Thera had planned for Perivar’s honor and respect towards women, but she had hoped to never have to take it that far. Giving a small head nod to one of those waiting in the circle Thera pressed Perivar hard. Her sword connected with his chest, back and arm with rapid succession. Had he not been waring armor he would have been a mass of gashes and cuts; perhaps enough to stop him, but still he defended. She could see that it would take more than taunts, but she pressed him until her arms began to shake with the effort and he was covered in sweat.

From the corner of her eye she could see her bait approach and she stepped back into the circle of Blademasters to take Kynwric’s place. Giving him the sign she watched as he intoned the words to spark another duel. 

<i>"Had I known I would have refused your summons.  I did not ask for this! I gave up my other allegiances when we bonded but I will not strike a woman unless my Aes Sedai's life is in danger.  It is not your concern, that is between her and I!"</i>

Kynwric listened as Thera finished with him, had Kyn realized his prickly honor was such a sticking point it would have been broken long, long ago. That Thera had let it go to this point was something they would have to speak of later. Now it was Kyn's turn to goad him, make him fight, to do anything and everything to make Perivar fight at his peak. "Perivar Gaidin, no longer of the Borderlands, no longer of Arafel, no longer a Tarigan, and no longer a man. I see how easy it will be to take your Aes Sedai from you, all we'll have to do is throw a endless supply of women at you until you succumb and then she will be ours. You think we won't? You think that any Aes Sedai wants a useless Warder? You may as well have bonded a Brown, you'd be of more use carrying books than that sword you'll never use. You think the Darkfriends are stupid? You think they won't use whatever it takes to get to an Aes Sedai?" Kyn shook his head at the man. "You are a child." Kynwric stepped forward into the circle, his shield strapped in place and his sword in hand. "Perivar <i>Gaidin</i>," Kyn spat the last word as if it stank in his mouth, "more like Peri, still on his mothers apron strings." Kyn had been on his defense ever since he began speaking, he was intentionally provoking Perivar's honor. Trying to make him strike out so he would be engulfed in the fight and not realize what Thera was up to. "Well Peri? Can I take Kabria now or would you like to consult your honor first?"

Perivar's eyes locked onto Kynwric as he spoke.  The usually kind but tough man who had been his mentor seemed extremely displeased with his one time student.  His words were infused with such venom that Perivar could only stare at the man he respected wondering what he had done to make him look upon him so.  The disappointment on Kynwric's face pierced him like a hot blade through flesh.  The void shattered and the reality of the situation nearly crushed him.  The pain of the wounds Thera had inflicted seemed to increase tenfold.  Perivar grounded his sword leaning on it for support. 

"Perivar Gaidin, no longer of the Borderlands, no longer of Arafel, no longer a Tarigan, and no longer a man." None of the words affected Perivar to any significant degree save for the last.  To have your mentor say you were no longer a man stung deep.   "I see how easy it will be to take your Aes Sedai from you, all we'll have to do is throw a endless supply of women at you until you succumb and then she will be ours. You think we won't? You think that any Aes Sedai wants a useless Warder? You may as well have bonded a Brown, you'd be of more use carrying books than that sword you'll never use. You think the Darkfriends are stupid? You think they won't use whatever it takes to get to an Aes Sedai?" 

The insults continued as his mind raced.  His stubborn pride and borderland upbringing warring with Kynwric's words.  The hurt on Perivar's face was plain for all the onlookers to see.  The pain of thinking that his pride and beliefs could cause Kabria harm.  Kynwric shook his head at him as if disgusted by Perivar's behavior. "You are a child."  He was so off balance that he did not notice her presence on the field nor did he feel anything through the bond.

Perivar did not say a word hanging his head briefly.  He looked up again just staring at Kynwric in disbelief.  The void having long since collapsed made it so that he felt every emotion keenly.  Perivar knew the danger of that but nothing he could do allowed him to resume the void,  the flame would form but he could not push every emotion into it, there were far too many and he was far too unsettled.  "Well Peri? Can I take Kabria now or would you like to consult your honor first?"  If Kynwric had been a lady Perivar did not know if he could have held back from striking out.  Anger and rage warred inside of him at the thought of someone taking his Aes Sedai, his love, his life. 

Perivar finally snapped, his only response was a wordless growl that resonated through the yards as he charged Kynwric.  Perivar lashed out with sword and singuata though Kynwric was a Grand Master easily deflecting his feeble blows.  Kynwric seemed to let Perivar foolishly exhaust himself on the master's unpenetrable defense.  Kynwric's efficient movements and superior skill made it look effortless.  Their skill was so mismatched that when Kynwric went on the attack Perivar had no choice but to use the flame and void.  His fight for survival had become so desperate that the void finally formed.   For the time being Perivar's focus was on defense again.  All of his movements would have to be smooth or else Kynwric would oick him apart.  The Grand Master was famous for letting fools waste their efforts on his superior defense while waiting for the right opportunity to strike.  Perivar was going to need all the luck he could muster.

Finally Perivar snapped and Kyn settled deep into his defense, letting the blows Perivar rained down exhaust himself on shield and blade. When he the incoming blows began to flag Kynwric himself began to attack, at first a blow here or there just to test Perivar's will to fight. then as the resistance he met lessened Kyn came more out of his defense and attacked, using sword and shield both as weapons he moved Perivar about the field, letting all see that he lacked control, but finally he maneuvered the upcoming blademaster so that he could see his Aes Sedai, with a blade held to her throat. It was then that Kyn paused and took a step back, flicking his eyes to where Thera was pressing steel against Perivar's ward.

Thera had her arm around Kabria's chest and the other held exposed steel to her throat. It had all been planed out between them before this day, but the Aes Sedai's performance was just as they had discussed. The little woman squirmed and looked pleadingly at Perivar. His next decision would decide his fate as a Blademaster.

Perivar's eyes went wide and his heart skipped a beat as Kynwric skillfully manuevered him so he could see the disturbing sight.  Pain wracked him, the shock of seeing Thera's blade against Kabria's neck hit closer to home than than it should have within the void.  He struggled desperately to maintain the void and his focus, the effort of doing so was plain on his face.  He clung to the void by a thread trying to process everything and make sense of it all.  Kabria's life was in the balance now, the ante had been raised. 

Perivar dismissed Kynwric, a foolish move but his focus was on Kabria and Thera.  Meeting Thera's eyes he pleaded with her.  "Are you mad!  This has gone too far!!"  Perivar was panting with the effort of remaining still.  He wanted to charge Thera but that could be disasterous.  Who knew what she was going to do.  Perivar needed to do something though what.  Clearing his mind he thought for a moment.  There was only one thing would resolve this.  Clearly the mixed emotions were evident in his tone.  "Thera, remove the blade and I will face you!"  Perivar shouted at the Mistress of Trainees disgusted that it had come to this.  "The Creator forgive me but I will do it." He half whispered unsure if the others heard.  With more force this time he shouted louder.  "I'll face you! Just let her go."

Thera’s arm did not move and she held the blade steady, her eyes locked on Perivar’s. She had known of his foolish Borderland honor, but she’d never suspected that it had held on this far. Apparently even the most studious lessons and teachers were not enough in some cases. “It should not have come to this Perivar; it should not take her life in the balance to make to face me, or any woman.” In a quick movement she removed her blade and shoved the woman at Kynwric, who took up her place as guard. Within the calm of the void she winced at handling an Aes Sedai in such a way; there would be a debt to pay for it, even if the Green did not see it so. She suspected that Kabria was no different from the other Green’s she’d known. No doubt the woman felt herself indestructible and would take offence at an apology, but Thera knew she would give it all the same. She had a certain code of honor as well.

Perivar was already tired, but his blood was hot so she gave him no chance to recover or to think. If his mind had been clear he would have known that no harm would ever come to an Aes Sedai by her hand or any Blademasters. All their comments and jabs had been designed to put him off balance for just this. Now he would fight her truly and they would see what he was worth. Her first set of attacks leaped for the vulnerable places in his armor, but he had quick wrists and he managed to deflect. The next she went for his chest, determined to knock the wind out of him and weaken him further. He managed to deflect her first to blows, but the next two landed home with a loud crash of steel on steel.

In the eyes of the Blademasters present he had lost much by refusing to fight her; it would take more for him now to be made worthy of their circle.

• 3 months later...

((OOC: Guess we might as well finish this ;)  ))

Time slowed like it never had before.  Seconds seemed like a lifetime as Perivar stared at Thera holding Kabria.  Concern for his love was plain on his face yet it clashed with the confidence that flowed through the bond from his Aes Sedai.  Bloody woman! he thought to himself.  She would be calm and serene with a blade held to her while he stood there scared to death to move a muscle.  Thera's words washed over him as if she spoke an unfamiliar language.  Perivar was fixated on the blade now.  He had to get that away from Thera somehow or get Thera away from Kabria.

In an instant time seemed to speed up tenfold as his prayers to the creator were answered.  In a flash Thera rushed towards him seemingly ready to beat him senseless, or kill him perhaps.  Perivar recoverd his senses just in time to deflect a few well placed strokes and lunges.  There was no time to search for Kabria, all his effort went to remaining alive.  One misstep would be enough to kill him.  Thera had him on solely on the defensive, it was all he could do at the moment.  More blows came, Thera's blade flashed like lightning.  She was a Grandmaster after all, and there was no denying her worthiness of the title.

After deflecting a few blows Perivar heard the all too familiar sound of steel on steel.  Two blows crashed against his breast plate in rapid succession.  Had he been smaller in stature she may have beaten him to the ground.  Perivar tried to retaliate yet Thera danced away with the gracefulness of a ballroom dancer backing away from a drunken layabout.

On and on the spar went.  Whenever he though he found an opening or had the upper hand Thera reminded him of her skill.  Fighting a Blademaster would have been difficult enough though a Grandmaster was way out of his league.  Still he fought on determined to make a good showing of his skills.  If all went well he would be a blademaster by the end of the day.  Perivar was shocked to realize that he wanted the accolade.  Earlier he seemed not to care though now things had changed.

She fought as hard as she could; wanting to push Perivar past the limits he’d already crossed. He was good enough to be a master with his blades, if only he would get out of his own way.  Too often his mind and sense of honor made him stumble where he should run, but hopefully today would see an end to that.

Dropping to her side Thera swept her leg out in hopes of catching him off guard. Now that he’d truly begun to fight his advantage of size had lessened the gap between them. Her foot found only air and she had to roll quick to keep from being struck. Her years more of practice and impenetrable calm still served though, and she landed a few more hit homes. Her blade came away red with the last strike, but it didn’t seem to slow him. His blood was hot from seeing Kabria treated so, and his blade searched for her flesh with each strike. A few scratches decorated her legs, but so far she’d managed to keep well away. Time to see how far he would go

Dancing back Thera held guard stance, turning in a slow circle to follow his blade. She no longer attacked, only stood and watched. Her brown eyes, glowing embers, hot on his daring him to attack.  The moments stretched on and Thera began to think that her student would fail this day, would be found unworthy. He had to strike at her now or lose his chance.

Perivar panted slightly as he watched Thera circling him on guard waiting for his attack.  He was more winded than he should have been, a result of his lack of composure early on in the fight.  He had gathered his wits and was thinking clearer now.  Perhaps they took his current lack of attacking as hesitation though he was giving his body time to recouperate.  Thera was quick as a viper with her blade.  She had drawn blood in several places while he did not think he had touched her.  Moments passed then Perivar smiled at Thera, a wide toothy grin combined with a look that said he knew something she didn't. 

It felt like an eternity that he sat there with that stupid smile on his face as Thera slowly circled him.  Inside he was laughing, laughing at his own ridiculous behavior.  His honor and upbringing had prevented him from doing what he must.  He might not enjoy fighting a lady yet it was what he had to do.  Once already he had put his life in danger by hesitating to strike a women who was ready to skewer him.  If not for Kabria he would have been dead or gravely injured.  The effects of his death or injury would have affected Kabria deeply.

Letting out a roar Perivar lunged with his singuata while slashing with his sword.  Thera deftly deflected the lunge then danced away from the slash.  Perivar tried to close the distance to use his size and strength to advantage though Thera was as agile as anyone he had ever met.  It was almost as if she knew where all his blows would land before he struck out.  On and on he went and all he received were a few more cuts for his hard work.  It would only be a matter of time before those cuts began to slow him down...

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: COngrats hun!!  :-*

Her eyes were nearly dead they were so devoid of emotion, but watched Perivar like a hawk her mind screaming for him to advance. Its taking too long Thera had patience though, and she held steady hoping her student would pass.

Finally, the dam broke and Perivar flooded forward. The look in his eyes mirrored her own, he was focus incarnate. Wrapped in the ko’di, the Oneness, Thera flowed with him deflecting slash after slash and giving a few new cuts of her own. She winced inside when her steel found flesh, but it was someone else’s hesitance and reluctance to harm a student further than she must. In a quick rush forward, faster than she thought Perivar could move, he had her defending furiously. She stepped backwards as their blades clashed, the ringing of steel a steady drumbeat to their dance. Her foot slid on grass that had been trampled underfoot and it cost her a long slash than ran the length of her left arm. Her quick wrists had assured that it was shallow cut, but she could still feel the blood trickling down her sleeve.

Two more cuts marred her before the dance came to an end and the music stopped, but they were not a patch on the stains and rips that seemed to make up much of Perivar’s clothes. He’d made a fatal flaw thinking that an overhand strike would be where she aimed. He was too strong for that and the move left her wide open, when he jumped at the obvious weakness she wept down and knocked his legs from underneath him. As he hit the ground with a thud that shook the earth Thera slashed at his wrists and was quick to rest her blade against his throat. It was over now….unless he wished to do true harm with his singuata, but she felt safe.

It was now for the Blademasters to speak and judge him fit. Not moving an inch Thera waited.

• 2 weeks later...

A sickening thud rang in Perivar's ears as the breath escaped his lungs in a mind-numbing rush.  Moments later Perivar's wits returned and his chest heaved as he tried to suck in copious amounts of precious air.  His torso ached with the overwhelming effort, the void had shattered as he struck the ground so he felt the pain of every wound that Thera had inflicted.  Perivar had not realized how many chinks in his armor Thera had found.  He should have guessed, she was a grandmaster after all.

Perivar tried not to move muscle as Thera's blade rested against his throat.  Given his current state it was difficult to remain still.  Thera stood over him looking like...whatLike a person just going about their work he thought.  Perivar laid there awkwardly looking from Thera to the others waiting for them to pass their judgment.