DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Best Movie I Never Of

Jaimelai

Last week, when my assistant showed up 15 minutes late to work as usual (she likes to take her coffee break first thing), we exchanged the customary early morning courtesies and then I asked her how was her weekend. "Oh pretty good. A friend of mine gave me some movies to watch", she replied. "Any good ones?" I asked. "They were OK, but there was this one that was really, really good and I had never heard of it before. It.." "Oh, the best movie that I had never heard of was O Brother Where Art Thou with George Clooney. It is a great movie", I interupted. "How did you ever know that was the movie?", she questioned in amazement. "Because it simply is the best movie I never heard of!" I stated as a matter of fact.

I don't know know why I had never heard of this movie before seeing it. It really is a great movie, especially after I realized what story on which it was based. So clever and well written and the music! Many of the movies out here are so hyped up in pre-release publicity that the trailers and commercials we see on TV are usually better than the movies themselves. Does anyone else have a favorite movie that wasn't hyped all out of porportion? (I mean ones other than about tazering snakes on airplanes)

The newer version of "The Count of Monte Cristo". That movie rocks my face off. No one seems to have seen it though. I watched it a couple times a day the month before I got married. It kept my nerves down.

Guest Majsju

Quite a few, actually.

La Double-vie de Veronique. I saw that before the mega-hype around Troix Couleurs put Kieslowski's name on everyone's lips.

Blood In, Blood Out. As far as i know, it came directly on VHS here, I had never heard of it until I just happened to see it at the videostore when I was looking for another movie. I think this movie, together with Bad Boys (the old one, with Sean penn) are the main reasons for my addiction to prison movies and series.

Killing Zoe. It totally Rocked.

Guest Winespring Brother

The best movie I saw that I had never heard of before was Battle Royale. This Japanese offering was really quite shocking, with kids killing each other, but it was a fantastically made film.

Hello all, hope you don't mind if I join in on your little discussion here as I tend to be pretty into movies in general.

First of all, I can't imagine someone not having heard about O'Brother Where Art Thou? as it did get a fair bit of hype at the time and the song Man of Constant Sorrow became quite popular.

I have a small list of movies that I enjoyed and never heard of...actually a pretty big one but I will keep it small for here.

The Machinist: Psychological thriller w/Christian Bale.

Session 9: Another psych/thriller w/David Caruso and several good character actors.

And two French films

Irreversible: A film that got a lot of controversial flack about a rape scene in it. But it was actually a very well done story. It was also shown in a reverse format much like Momento.

The City of Lost Children: A very little publicized movie that was different and interesting. If you haven't seen it you should.

Some times I wonder if movies are advertised differently in different parts of the country. I can't remember any advertisements for O Brother Where Art Thou nor have I heard any of the songs from the movie ever played on the radio. Even my assistant remarked: "too bad they never put out the sound track" (I Googled it and see that it is available). Maybe I just don't get out enough...

Another movie that I only saw mentioned here (I think) that I haven't heard anything else about is "Shawn of the Dead". People had high praise for it, but I still haven't heard any more about it. At one point I thought I saw it coming out, but it was just another zhombie walking dead movie. Though I supposed I should look in places other than the "Sale" rack at the local Target.

Sean of the Dead was great, that is one of the many on lists of under-advertised films. It is so mouch more than a zombie movie, it is above all else a great English humor movie; and even has a pretty good story also. I remember when I first saw it I just sat there thinking, "How did they drop the ball on this one?" It is a classic case of trailers misrepresenting the content of a film. Really, the only reasons you wouldn't like this film is if you hated English humor, and were offended (or shocked) by graphic violence. It is a zombie film after all. :)

Yeah, I figured that it must have been pretty popular as soon as I Googled it and saw the ad. Like I said, I don't get out much - lol. One of my kids even said they had to watch the movie in their Music Appreciation class in college when I asked if he had ever heard of it. Maybe I should get out of the stedding more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was once a Seanchan a long time ago, in a thread lost and eaten by a Trolloc, so I hope this permits me my own insight.

Yes, O Brother Where Art Thou? was excellent, saw it.. 5 years ago (?) when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed its base upon the Odyssey. Another movie I didn't bother to see until my friend brought to my attention was Fight Club.

Now I had avoided it because of the crappy marketing done for it advertising it as simply a club of guys that get together and wail on one another. But it really is an excellent movie, probing concepts such as male materialism, displacement from society, modern ideals of God, and with a really good twist near the climax- one of my fav's of all time that I hadn't seen close to its release.

Rounding out the top three was Pleasantville, with William H. Macy, Jeff Daniels, Joan Allen, and I think Reese Witherspoon and Tobey Maguire's debut movie.. I may be mistaken. Anyway, a neat little movie that has incredible cinematography, old music and beautiful cars. The story's great and I highly recommend it.

K, Tyarrine's gonna slink bank into the corner now, nice chattin' with y'all.

Guest Karana Majin

I loved Pleasantville, and I thought I was the only one. My SO thought it was crap (but he thinks everything non-Star Wars/non-Tarantino is crap).

I also like O Brother Where Art Thou and the soundtrack rocks (?) or whatever. Made me really appreciate a different style of music than I had ever considered. Another movie I never thought of for the soundtrack, but today was heartily informed that it was awesome, was the one to Pirates of Caribbean. One of my students said he watches the movie just to listen to the music.

• 4 years later...

Lone Wolf MaQuade: An Action movie staring Chuck Norris that I somehow missed. Saw it yesterday and it was great, no idea how i missed it for 28 years.

The Watchman: Saw it in theaters by accident (misread the time for the movie I wanted to see) it was good but I never saw it advertised.

Since I started this thread five years ago and it has recently risen from the grave, I guess I can add another to the list:

Top Secret!

A young Val Kilmer doing Elvis while surfing with a shotgun and fighting neo-nazis - you just can't beat it!

:laugh:

Archived