DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Emulators

mcs0083

I have discovered the wonders of game emulators. The only one I have successfully gotten installed and functioning on my computer though is the visual boy advance for game boy advance games. What I really want is a emulator for the original Sony playstation a.k.a. PSX PS1. I have tried getting one on my computer but I can't figure it out. It was actually called PSX if I remember right. Do you think any of you could help me out?

I haven't found a really good emulator for PSX ...

For SNES, ZSNES is the best emulator.

For NES, Nesticle is the best emulator, despite its awful name.

For old DOS games, DOS-Box works great, even (surprisingly) for Vista.

I used to have a Sega Genesis emulator ... but I don't remember the name of it.  Phantasy Star rules though.

And yes.  I'm old.  ;D

• Community Administrator

Heres the thing about emulators.

A basic Emulator in and of its self is not Illegal.

And, depending on how the emulator works, Assuming you HAVE a PSX game, you can legally use a standard burning image file to play the game (or even using the dvd drive).  (this is legal, simply because, on games predating the current generation, it WAS legal to create a 'backup' of your games/movies/cds. They have since then, made that 'illegal')

However, the REAL issue legally wise, for emulators, is the... lets call it the 'operating system' of the PSX. (it might be the PSX bios)

I can't recall what their exact name for it is. But to obtain it 'legally' you have to have some 'hardware', that would allow you to get it onto a pc... And since most people don't have this hardware, let alone know where to find it, the only way you can really find it is through illegal methods. (aka torrents)

So, ultimately

Emulator software - Legal.

Emulator Bios - Illegal if downloaded.

Emulator games - Illegal if downloaded.

Whats the point of this?

It be wise for everyone here 'not' to post links as to where said things can be found, at least not in public forums. ;)

Yes, getting PSX to work on the PC is a pain in the ass. Getting a PS2 to run on a PC is even more of an annoyance, since you need a pc that is about 2x as powerful as the best i7 to actually run a game 'smoothly'. :(

Quite simply, why not just buy a psx? or uhh.. Buy the PC version of it? :P

Actually, having the BIOS for a PSX is illegal under any circumstances. All the stuff about ROMs being legal as long as you delete them after 24 hours or if you already own a copy of the game - all that is pretty much made up by people trying to justify piracy.

That all said, ePSXe works pretty well; it can even play the actual game cd. So I'm told, anyway. There are game-specific problems, but most already have solutions; using an older version to get through FF9's cutscenes, having a certain command prompt on loading the emulator for Chrono Cross, and so on.

As for "why not just buy the PSX"; I'll grant my experience with the secondary market is pretty limited, but at this point eBay is practically the only place left to find a PSX or games for it. Likewise for anything that predates it, although there is a resale shop near me with a wall full of SNES carts.

Actually, having the BIOS for a PSX is illegal under any circumstances. All the stuff about ROMs being legal as long as you delete them after 24 hours or if you already own a copy of the game - all that is pretty much made up by people trying to justify piracy.

That all said, ePSXe works pretty well; it can even play the actual game cd. So I'm told, anyway. There are game-specific problems, but most already have solutions; using an older version to get through FF9's cutscenes, having a certain command prompt on loading the emulator for Chrono Cross, and so on.

As for "why not just buy the PSX"; I'll grant my experience with the secondary market is pretty limited, but at this point eBay is practically the only place left to find a PSX or games for it. Likewise for anything that predates it, although there is a resale shop near me with a wall full of SNES carts.

Hmm, I thought there was some legal method of gettiong those bios. :P

AS for the game roms = game data thats on the disks... If you look throught he manaul they do state you can create a backup of the game. ;)

The whole 24 hour thing is most definatley BS. If you own the game, you can pop it into the PC (if its PSX) or if you have a pc -> gameboy accessory thing, you could do it. (I think some gameshark things worked that way)

But any distributing of said files = illegal. Making your own rom files for your own personal use, while 'now' would be technically illegal (after they took off the backup from the copyright) is kinda hard to pursicute, simply because theres no way the copyright holders would know what you did in the privacy of your own home. You konw, unless you were to distribute to others. ;)

As for buying a PSX, you can buy a PS2 which go for well under a $100 now, which is fully PSX compatible. ;)

Which leaves you stuck for the games, though. Which means you're pretty much stuck with eBay anyway, Winking Man. And I was under the impression that the duplication issue was the same as it is on the FBI warning on DVDs. I've never made a habit of reading the legal gibberish at the back of the manual.

Which leaves you stuck for the games, though. Which means you're pretty much stuck with eBay anyway, Winking Man. And I was under the impression that the duplication issue was the same as it is on the FBI warning on DVDs. I've never made a habit of reading the legal gibberish at the back of the manual.

Only on the newer stuff. PSX generation you could make a backup copy. But it was illegal to copy/sell said things. Back then, you could copy it as many times as you wanted, as long as you didn't give it away/sell it. now is a completely different story. :P

Plus theres 2nd hand stores that sell video games.. Used to be a treasure trove here, called Vid Cycle, It had freaking NES games!

Your mileage may vary. As I said before, there's only one place I know of in this town that carries anything older than PS2 in their used section, and their stock is mostly cartridges. Maybe in places that don't suck, the game stores have a better selection of older games.

Its possible. They are hard to find, but they most certainly exist.

At the place I mentioned where I lived, I was able to pick up another copy of a game that became so scratched, it was unplayable. (It got scratched due to the nature of the PSX) ;)

Oh yea, ps3 is 100% Backwards compatible for ps1 games, and they even sell some ps1 games on their store. ;)

Archived