DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Coming of Age {Open to All other Trainiees!}

TaiDashan

D'Ashan blinked as he stepped out into the light. It was bright after the Mistress of Trainee's quarters despite the windows. He closed the rough wooden door behind him and shifted uncomfortably at the missing weight on his back. This was going to take some getting used to. She had assured him he would get his blades back when he had been trained, but that did nothing to settle the loss. Sighing he set off toward the stables to get his belongings from his saddlebags. After securing the bags and slinging them over his shoulder, he set off in the direction she had sent him, to get settled in the Barracks where he could.

D'Ashan wondered what his life here would hold. he was determined to do whatever was asked no matter how hard, and that determination might be the only thing that got him through from what he had seen so far. As if to illustrate his thoughts a group of young men, stripped to the waist went running by in a group. Sweaty and unsteady they looked as if they had been running all day. The sun had started down the other side of its path across the sky and shadows were lengthening in the afternoon light. D'Ashan shook his head and continued on, quickening his step.

Approaching the building the Mistress of Trainee's had mentioned he ducked inside after pulling the wide, heavy door open enough to admit him. The air was warm inside and he realized that he had been somewhat cold. His cloak was still in his saddlebags. Thera, the Mistress of Trainee's, he corrected himself; had told him he could find a room on the first floor that had a free bed. Wandering down the hall he glanced at the doors that he passed, how to choose one? What if they were occupied? Nearing some stairs he decided he was running out of doors. Laying his hand on the handle of one hesitantly, he was suddenly startled by a group of boys hurtling down the steps whooping and chasing each other. One of them bumped into him and sent him stumbling sideways into the room. He barely caught more than a glimpse of the room before hearing a thud and a muttered curse from someone inside. His eyes adjusting to the light his now forgotten saddlebags lay at his feet.

"I am terribly sorry to barge in like that, those boys they..." He felt like a fool as he looked for words. "I'm sorry." he finished softly. He could see the boy on the bottom bunk now, and he looked to be scowling at him. Not that D'Ashan could blame him.

Men were riding into town, some damaged, horses with wounds, and stench. He was looking around for those needing the type of help he could give, someone had a head of a trolloc. He imagined the full beast, imagined the battle, he was in the battle...his dreams slowly forming from that of his upbringing into the stories he heard and further into a  nightmare.

*Crash*

Hall woke up with a start, ready to jolt out of bed after his dreams, *bang*, his head hit something with a loud sound. Slowly he came to his senses, he was in his bed in the barracks, and his head had just touched contact with the bunk above.

He looked around with a frown trying to patch things together, and then heard the rant, his eyes focused finally on the door and the guy there. Slowly he patched together what had been said. "You're new?" the question was more rhetorical then anything, to buy himself time to wake up fully and take in everything, he had been far away. He ducked his head out from the bed, and swung his feet after, rising to his 6'2'', then looked at the luggage, "need any help?, just been some rotation so been alone in here for a couple days, so free choice of bunk.." he motioned to the 3 available beds, one above his, and the other two opposite to him.

D'Ashan winced a little as the man swung his legs over and stood. He was a head taller than D'Ashan. His wince soon became a grin as the other man offered him choice of his bunk. He didn't seem upset.

"No thank you." He replied to the man's question. "It's just my saddle bags. They don't weigh much." He tossed the saddle bags over the end of the top bunk opposite the other man and leaned against it. The room was small bt not overly so. The small window not letting in terribly too much light. He thought he could see a tree outside though, maybe it was just shade that caused the dim room. That, and it was nearing evening. With a start he realized he had not introduced himself, and the two were just standing there silent.

"My names D'Ashan." He said, sticking his hand out for the other man to clasp. It was calloused from working with his sword but firm and warm. He hoped the other man didn't mind.

Hall took the hand in a firm handshake "Hall", the other man obviously was used to working too, something Hall could appreciate. "I been here some months now, is up from Saldea" he sometimes missed it but didn't regret his choice, though the longing did pierce through his voice at times.

His blue eyes sought the window, "just arrived here then?", he remembered his arrival. "Had the morning off, but its lunchtime I'd say, so if you want we can head over to the mess, and then I'll show you around some?" he didn't have lessons till in the afternoon, and nothing better to do, and friends was always good.

"Hall, I been here some months now, is up from Saldea" D'Ashan recognized in Hall's voice another far from home. He knew what that felt like. Mayene was a long way away as well and while D'Ashan was glad to be given a chance here, he missed home sometimes. D'Ashan's green-gold eyes found Hall's blue and he smiled. The other man was friendly, and he could use friends.

"just arrived here then?" D'Ashan nodded. Had the morning off, but its lunchtime I'd say, so if you want we can head over to the mess, and then I'll show you around some? Before Tai could nod, his stomach rumbled and he realized he had not had anything to eat since the night before. He worked his shoulders uncomfortably at the missing weight of his scimitars. He truly did feel naked without them.

"A meal sounds really good." He assented. "That, and i am really lost around here. The only direction I got was from Shaneevae Sedai, and that was only how to get to the yard." He had to fight to keep a grin and a blush from his face when he thought of Shaneevae. He may give her the honorific when speaking out loud, but in his mind the rain, the kisses, and the brandy came long before he knew the title. He looked at Hall.  "Shall we?"

Hall nodded and lead the way to the mess hall, geting in line he made sure to get a good portion of the warm lunch, along with a couple aples some cheese and breed, from habit he had grabed his waterbottle and hung it at his belt before leaving the room.

He made sure D'Ashan had his serve too before moving over to a table with some avaliable seats, he nodded to the other trainees at the table as he sat down. "So where are you from yourself, and how come you descided to join the warders?" he figured he would strike up a conversation first as he was the one familiar here, so he thougth it would be the more polite thing to do.

ooc if you want to open for others to join us then thats up to you ...figured would give you the opening in case ;)

Hall took the lead and led him to the mess hall. D'Ashan took his place in line behind the man and received his portion of what looked to be venison in some sort of brown sauce. His stomach growled again and he licked his lips in anticipation. He looked over the slightly wizened apples and skipped over them in favor of some hard cheese and warm, crusty bread. Grabbing a wooden mug from the table next to the line he filled it with water and followed Hall to a table. D'Ashan glanced around at the other boys and nodded before sitting down. No one seemed to be wanting him to leave he noted with relief.

"So where are you from yourself, and how come you decided to join the warders?

D'Ashan paused with a slice of meat to his lips and glanced at it ruefully before placing it back on his plate.

"Wanted to do something good with my life." He said diffidently, shrugging. "What better than to be a warder and fight for the Light?" D'Ashan glanced at Hall and around the table, he hoped he wouldn't be teased about his answer...

Jac made his way to the Trainees Barracks with a spring in his step that he hadn't had since he set out for the White Tower. His 'interview' with the Mistress of Training could have gone a bit better than it had. But then, it could also have went a lot worse. Keeping a rein on his temper would be the first thing he would have to master. Growing up in a Tavern had not been the most disciplined of upbringings, but that wasn't to say he was 'undisciplined'... Merely free with his emotions... No, he was definately NOT ill-tempered. If anything it was just a case of being too honest and letting his feelings be known rather than putting on a pleasant appearance to avoid confrontation.

Carrying all his worldy belongings, he entered the Barracks to be met with... A large room which had rows of bunks, but not a soul to be seen. Most of the bunks were obviously taken but there were still a few which were vacant, as the bedding was still rolled at the end of the bed.

He took his pick of the free bunks and unshouldered his baggage. Temporarily at a loss he looked around at his home for the duration of his training. Back home he he had grown used to his own space as he had his own room, as small as it had been, it was still his own private space. "I will just have to get used to it I suppose. Just hope no one snores as bad as Tom did. I mean, really, three walls between rooms and I could still here him... Better stop talking to myself too or I'll get a name for myself".

Jac took one more look around and, remembering Mistress Thera's advice that he would be just in time to catch Lunch, he set off in search of the Mess Hall. He found it soon enough and was soon in line and recieving his first meal in a long time. It was not as good as what he was used to back home, but it was a lot better than he had been used to in the last two months. With his tray in hand, Jac walked around looking for a bench to sit. After three attempts, where the men at the table merely looked at him as if he were a piece of dirt, he walked past one table where there were two trainees talking to each other.

"So where are you from yourself, and how come you decided to join the warders?"

"Wanted to do something good with my life. What better than to be a warder and fight for the Light?"

Jac took the opportunity, of this opening to make his introduction. "Sounds like a good enough reason to me" He said with a warm and open smile on his face, before looking around the mess hall. "I bet half the men in here have come looking to be the next Gaidal Cain or Rogosh Eagle-eye by their arrogance." Jac shook his head and laughed. "Oh, sorry, Hope I'm not interrupting. I'm new here, just arrived actually. Name's Jac, Jac al'Caar. Is it alright to sit here?" he said, indicating the empty space with a nod of his head.

Hall nodded and scooted over some, "the more the merrier.." he extended a hand, "Hall, I'm up from Saldea" he waited while D'Ashan introduced himself, and used the time to look around, unsure about the claim made, but then again of course private conversations could be ongoing, and he saw a few fellows he himself stayed away from. "It aint all bad here, we most all the same, so few issues.." it didn't even strike him his size would have anything to do with the mater.

"I been here some months myself, going to be showing D'Ashan around after the meal, your welcome to come along, I'll have classes this afternoon though.." he let it trail off as he dug back into his food again.

"Sounds like a good enough reason to me" said a boy walking up to the table. His smile was wide and friendly. "I bet half the men in here have come looking to be the next Gaidal Cain or Rogosh Eagle-eye by their arrogance." Jac shook his head and laughed. "Oh, sorry, Hope I'm not interrupting. I'm new here, just arrived actually. Name's Jac, Jac al'Caar. Is it alright to sit here?"

D'Ashan blinked. He hadn't seen much arrogance. If most people here were going to be like that... Hall spoke into the brief silence.

"the more the merrier..Hall, I'm up from Saldea" He said extending his hand. Waiting for the two to exchange pleasantries he stuck his hand out over his tray and smiled broadly. "D'ashan, I'm from Mayene. I'm brand new here myself, good to see someone else is a little lost." He said laughingly, he liked this man already.

"I been here some months myself, going to be showing D'Ashan around after the meal, your welcome to come along, I'll have classes this afternoon though..."

"Oh right!" D'Ashan exclaimed, you should come with us. Do you have a room already? I kinda barged in on Hall here and just hung my saddle bags on the bunk." He chuckled softly. Embarassed at his eagerness he scratched the back of his neck nervously and shoved a piece of cheese in his mouth, chewing away studiously.

Jac had been looking around as he ate and, realising he had been addressed, brought his attention back to the two men he was sitting with. "Sorry? Oh, I just threw my bags on the first available bunk I could find. I came straight from speaking with the Mistress of training. I think I got off to a bit of a bad start with her." He smiled ruefully at the memory of his first meeting with her.

"Yeah, I'd appreciate coming along, if you don't mind. As I said I haven't had a chance to look around and you two are the first people that have even bothered to speak to me."

Jac looked at his tray with a disappointed frown to find it empty as he was still famished. One of the warnings he'd recieved from Mistress Thera sprang to mind. "By the way... I was warned to stay clear of, err... Novices? I think that's what Mistress Thera said. Who are these novices, I have to confess I arrived here completely ignorant of the White Tower"

Jac hoped he didn't sound like a country fool with hay still in his hair.

Hall put on a good willed warm smile, "The White Tower and its gardens are off base for us, unless in errand, for class or studies in libary. Novices are our equalent in the Aes Sedai training, you can recognise them by the all white dresses. It shouldnt be much of a problem, they aint allowed in the yard or the town much really, most the time they to preoocupied with their studies I think, or at least so I heard." He bit into the last piece of bread before continuing.

"Accepted now, those you can run more into, they have freetime like us, and you may meet them in the city, also they sometimes got errands in the yard, or come to train, their dresses still white, but the hems are colored with a band of stripes with the ajah colors." He nodded and looked to see if the others was finished. "Would you prefer a look of the yards, or do you wanna head down into the city and I can teach you how to get around.." he didnt add so not to get lost, but knew from experience that due to the size it was far to easy to actually get lost, well always easy to find back to the White Tower who showed above everything, but not all roads leading there was as safe.

D'Ashan listened with only half an ear while he chewed his cheese. Thoughts of becoming a Gaidin had brought his mind off on a tangent. The blue veined cheese was hard but it was tasty and he followed it with some crusty bread. It was all washed down with some water before he heard Hall's question.

"Would you prefer a look of the yards, or do you wanna head down into the city and I can teach you how to get around.." D'Ashan shrugged and nodded to Jac,

"I'm ok with looking around town, figure I will get enough of the Yards soon enough. What about you?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hall listened to what was said and nodded, the choice was no surprise, and he lead the way into Tar Valon as soon as they all were done eating. "The market is great for good weather days, and there normally enough vendors selling treats like pies, or grilled food you can eat in your hand, if you just wanna walk around and look at stuff, just make sure to keep your money well hidden inside your shirt" he looked around at the busy place, "the guard do their best, though i heard unhonest hands may find their way here" he stoped by a boot, and bougth 3 cups of mulled wine. "Something I wasnt used too, but that taste quite good on less sunny days like today, I dont mind some skies and a little wind, as long as its not raining, then the market is still exciting, and there is somewhat less people, without the vendors starting to turn in."

He walked slowly allowing for the others to look at the merchandise if they wanted too as they made their way through the marketplace.