DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Theory for Moiraine/Lanfear/Asmodean

striker

I'm also thinking that this will explain things like the disappearance (Death?) of Asmodean.  And though I've spent many hours reading threads of different theories I haven't quite seen this one yet, and it draws from info that we get from the KoD.  I'm sure that there are a lot of wholes that would need to be filled but here goes.

First we'll get the facts that we know 100% out of the way. 

1.) Moiraine and Lanfear disappear into the doorway to the fox world together, In Cairhien

2.) Asmodean dies/disappears later on the same day, in Caemlyn

3.) Before Moiraine "died" she wrote 2 letters, one to Rand and one to Thom/Matt.  The letter to Rand said that she had hope for the future because of what she was about to do.  And the one to Thom/Matt said that she could be rescued, but only by him (Matt) and 2 companions (KoD 274/275)

4.) Matt recalls seeing the Genji Tower from his trip to White Bridge(?) with Rand, Thom, and Domon, but only Domon and Matt actually saw the tower(KoD 277)

5.) Asmodean recognizes his killer (RJ multiple statements that Asmodean is dead http://www.darkfriends.net/wheel/1_dark/1.1_forsaken1/1.1.6_asmo.html) hence the "You? No!" comment he makes when he's killed. 

6.) The Aelfinn and Eelfinn know things that are happening in the future, and have gifts to give from the past (Matt's ter'angreal, and memories)

7.) Aelfinn and Elfinn reside in a dimension, as there is a special portal to their world, and quote from RJ saying that the the reason the ter'angreal from Rhuidean was destroyed with Moiraine and Lanfear went through was because of the difference in the physics of the 2 worlds combined with the fact that both of the women were channeling.

8.) The DO has resurrected Lanfear as Cyndane 1 to 2 books after going through the ter'angreal withe Moiraine.

Theory that I'm drawing upon to form mine:

The "Finns" feed on emotions/life experiences, which causes the dirty feelings that the AS complain about when going to that world.

With all that established. 

My theory was originally that the "finns" experience time the opposite that we do.  Which would explain the knowing the correct answers from the questions given.  However I realized that theory got bunked when I thought about the memories that Matt obtained from the foxes.  Which made me alter it to being that they live outside of Randland time and are able to go back and forth as they seem fit.

Reasons for that theory are:

1.) Matt always remembers being of the age to command soldiers in a war, and many times the death of said soldier, however he doesn't remember those lives from before being a commander.

2.) Can be argued that the physical gifts that Matt got from the Foxes were made in the future, I doubt that there were many power-wrot weapons made with Ravens on them from the AOL, and if the some of the SAS rebels are captured by the Seanchan, then the Seanchan would have learned out to make Cuendillar.  Thus weapons made out of Cuendillar would start appearing for the Emperess' husbands/bodyguards/children all bearing the symbol of the Crystal throne, Ravens.  Also I'd have to believe that there should be at least some reference to the items that can stop flows of the OP in some of the books about the AoL or the War of Power, maybe the one that Matt has is simply the first among many that are about to spring up in responce to the creation of Asha'men and the Seanchan invasion.

Now for the meat of my theory:

When they got into the Finn world Lanfear being the arrogant FS that she is, pissed the Finn off and they killed her in such a way that the DO could resurrect her.  But Moiraine acted as a humble person being caught with her pants down (symbolism only) to which the Finns didn't do her any permanent damage to her and just held her captive.  As she tells Matt/Thom this in her letter to them, about needing to be rescued.  Now we do know that Matt is going to go save her.  Whether it is because if he doesn't he'll have the death of another woman on his conscience (kinda like Rand) or if he actually thinks highly enough about Moiraine that he's willing to put his neck on the line for her.  Either way he goes to save her, along with Thom and Noal. 

Since the Finns are able to manipulate where they are in time, they for some odd reason have traveled to a point in time where they are around the time frame of when Rand's attack on Caemlyn, and the rescue crew leave Genji Tower and head to Caemlyn because Matt thinks that Elayne will have things secured by then (in taking the throne that, which she does just as her storyline finishes in KoD).  Only for them to realize along the way that they arrive before Rand actually attacks Rahvin, and Moiraine tells them they have to keep a low profile otherwise they will cause a tear in the pattern (time paradox) from meeting their past selves.  During the confusion with the attack (Trollocs fleeing into the city itself) they sneak into the palace where Thom recommends a place to hide for until Rand leaves Caemlyn, and Asmodean has the bad luck to run into the small group. 

Now for the actual attack on Asmodean,  He recognizes the Moiraine and Matt as he sees a blade flash towards him, either Matt's spear, or one of Thom's daggers and he is dead before he hits the floor.  Both of whom have a huge lines of experience to be able to make a killing blow of that nature, Thom because his history as a Gleeman with having to protect himself from the bandits on the road as well as the fact that we know he killed the "King" of Cairhein after one of the king's men killed Thom's lover, causing the civil war that was the predecessor to the shaido war, and Matt from all the memories of killing men on the battlefield as his gift from the Finn.

Now for as why Matt and crew remain in the shadows for the next 6 books is mainly because they have to wait until the time frame in which Matt and crew went to save Moiraine.  Once that day comes back Moiraine finds Rand, Matt goes back to his Band of the Red Hand, and Thom heads back to Caemlyn to help Elayne.

With all that established. 

My theory was originally that the "finns" experience time the opposite that we do.  Which would explain the knowing the correct answers from the questions given.  However I realized that theory got bunked when I thought about the memories that Matt obtained from the foxes.  Which made me alter it to being that they live outside of Randland time and are able to go back and forth as they seem fit.

Mat realizes in Knife of Dreams that the finns create a connection to him and can see and experience what he is, up until his death. He doesn't remember anything from those past lives before a certain point - the point where they enter the finn-lands, but he remembers their lives right up until they die. It's quite possible that the answers were able to be given because they have a greater understanding of the Wheel and can read the various threads to an extent. Maybe they even know what happened in each of the ages. What we do know is the first part of what I said, though.. They form a connection when you enter and that's their end of the deal. 

Since the Finns are able to manipulate where they are in time, they for some odd reason have traveled to a point in time where they are around the time frame of when Rand's attack on Caemlyn, and the rescue crew leave Genji Tower and head to Caemlyn because Matt thinks that Elayne will have things secured by then (in taking the throne that, which she does just as her storyline finishes in KoD).  Only for them to realize along the way that they arrive before Rand actually attacks Rahvin, and Moiraine tells them they have to keep a low profile otherwise they will cause a tear in the pattern (time paradox) from meeting their past selves.  During the confusion with the attack (Trollocs fleeing into the city itself) they sneak into the palace where Thom recommends a place to hide for until Rand leaves Caemlyn, and Asmodean has the bad luck to run into the small group. 

Asmodean wasn't off in the middle of nowhere, though. Anybody could have seen him walk into that room, followed by others. It would really have been noticeable if it was Mat and Thom when they were someplace else moments before. They still would have no reason to kill Asmodean, even if Moiraine told them they would end up thinking it's Rand's mess. Plus they wouldn't risk him seeing them if they were going to assassinate him, since he can still channel.

Now for as why Matt and crew remain in the shadows for the next 6 books is mainly because they have to wait until the time frame in which Matt and crew went to save Moiraine.  Once that day comes back Moiraine finds Rand, Matt goes back to his Band of the Red Hand, and Thom heads back to Caemlyn to help Elayne.

This doesn't fit Mat's character. He would be too tempted to try and save Tylin somehow, and prevent that one sul'dam from getting away. "Something flickered in him and died" when he ordered her murder and if there was any other way he would have done it.

One more thing.. we're supposed to be able to tell just from Fires of Heaven who Asmodean's killer is and for this theory to be true we would need information from about 6 books ahead.

It seems that this will become another "who killed Asmodean" thread.

The Structured discussion section has a thread for that.  I take that the moderators of this site want it to be discussed only there.  Here is the link:

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,9967.0.html

Short answer: Graendal is the most likely candidate.

As for time in the world of the Aelfinn & Eelfinn, I take that time there is only forward; never backward.

Lanfear's return I take to have happened sometime after the death of Cabriana Mecandes because of Cyndane's body.

Maybe the Finns have seen something in Moiraines future that they believe to be significant enough for them to keep her safe. Maybe they saw that Slayer would enter their world, and that the only way to stop him would be for Mat, Thom and Noal to go there, and they saw that the only way to get them there would be for them to come after Moiraine.

Mat, Thom, and Noal. Iron, Music, and Fire... what does everyone think to the idea of Noal being able to channel? If he is Jain Farstrider, maybe channeling is how Jain could survive the Blight long enough to write his books. Just an idle thought while writing, not a theory or anything.

Archived