32 members have voted

1. 1. What colour eyes do you have?

• Blue
    • Grey
    • Green
    • Hazel
    • Brown
    • Other (please specify)

I thought Eragon and Eldest were good books. Certainly better than I could ever write. :P They aren't really in the same reading level as WoT, obviously...but I read all sorts of books. Just because E/E aren't as good as WoT, does that mean I can't like them? No way 8)

All I have to say is:

Shade-->Myddraal-->Dementor-->Naz'gul

Paolini-->Jordan-->Rowling-->Tolkein

Lol...

I don't see how Eragon is a rip-off of Wot. So far I haven't seen any dragons in WOT. If anything I think it would be a rip-off of Lord of the Rings. I wouldn't call Eragon the best book in the world' date=' but simply an enjoyable read.[/quote']

what about Raken i always picture those as dragons

Eragon struck me as the writings of a talented kid who hadn't learnt enough yet. In time he will be a really good writer, but currently he doesn't quite have a handle on character and prose that makes it a bit weak, and he weaves in too much of books that he's read--for i see both WoT and Earthsea and LotR and several others in Eragon... not intentionally, i dont think. But certainly present.

The problem is, i suspect, he got published too easy--his books were published by his parents publishing firm. He needed to strive and learn a bit more before he got himself published.

While i do agree that all High Fantasy follows a certain formula i think it only goes to the extent of the gd vs. evil battle. LotR was as a series i think not as expansive as WoT but if u look at Silmarillion, Unfinished tales u begin to see the depth of colour of middle-earth. WoT is however i think more expansive if u include the BWB. Any way back on topic, i found more similarities in WoT and Eragon/Eldest than in Eragon/Eldest and LotR. I find that while Christopher Paolini may eventually beecome a good writer Eragon's storyline is a rather shallow and superficial version of WoT. Strangely i still read it and enjoy it :D

here's a piont i haven't seen anyone bring up,

The Maps...

if you look at the map from and Eragon

and the one from the WoT series....

if you put the Beor Mountainson top,

u get the Mountains of Dhoom (i like that, Dhoom and not Doom)

They both have a giant Mountain, standing alone, in the middle of nowhere...

Eragon has Vroengard in the top left

and WoT has Aile Dashar...

To the left in Eragon, The Spine

To the Right in WoT, The Spine of the World...

To the bottom left in Eragon, Beirland

To the bottom left in WoT, Tremalking...

The map itself may be not enough to convince anyone that it's a rip off, but that's because Paolini is not a complete moron...

I think that he used The WoT map as a guideline to his map, that is one more reason why i just don't like it...or him...

Another point is that both books have the Forsaken, not a different name for the Forsaken in Eragon either...

In both books they are called The Forsaken...

In both books they are super evil people....

more so in WoT then Eragon, but that's an opinion...

After reading a few of your opinions, i agree, i should have put a "Neither" option in the poll, not that my opinion has changed, but it would have made the poll more effective...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I picked up Eragon in the children's section. I happen to think it is fairly good for children, and an inspiration for young writers. I certainly don't take the writings of a 17 year old and compare them to an adult who is old enough to have earned a college degree in physics, experienced a war, and evidently many happily married years. I also don't take a book from the children's section and compare them to epic adventures in the adult section, whatever genre. Just because it is fantasy does not mean that it will live up to everyone's standard. I put Eragon in the same category as Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix and Cornelia Funke's books. Ok, I have been corrected by my 12 year old-"Young Adult." It is an important series to garner more young fans of fantasy, an important step up.

The standard format notwithstanding, isn't that what all stories are about? Something interesting and fantastic that we all wish would happen to liven up our dreary schedules? Except me-I could use a little less excitement in my life. I like to use my schedules everyday, and I prefer my adventures in books.

Also, as we're talking about ratings, I think there should be a rating system for the genre of fantasy. Some should definitely be rated as beginner, some more advanced. Hmmm,but that is the joy of reading and finding out, isn't it? That is also what the library is for-those series that you want to read, but don't want to invest a lot of money in.

Archived