DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Yet another meatshield-addition

DhaiMon

Greetings there,

I've been toying around with the thought of joining you lot of madmen, and have already written down a biography. Before proceeding with sending it, however, I wanted to ask one thing or two:

1) I've made up some basics for the birthing place of my character, a named village in the Black Hills not too far off from the Caemlyn-Tar Valon road, also making up some superstitions which go beyond the typical "Dark One's eyes" thing and the like as well as a rudimentary hierarchy in the village, which, as I hope, is still believable. Now what I wanted to know here is: Did I overstep myself here? I wanted to come up with something less common than the "Joe from Caemlyn"-type of thing, and besides didn't want to unknowingly falsify customs and attitudes of the different nations put forward by RJ. Besides, concerning these, the Black Hills seem to be quite much of a void, so I thought there would be less chance of screwing it up.

2) As of now, the biography is two pages long. Now, I've read that your upper limit for it would usually be one page...Would the length, as it is, still be acceptable?

Thanks for your answers in advance. Cheers.

Welcome! I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. :)

1) I'm not the Black Tower bio checker so I can't give you official answers, but in my opinion making up small superstitions isn't that big of a deal. But from what you've described I wouldn't be able to make a judgement unless I actually read the bio, so my advice is to just send the bio to the bio checker. After all, it's their job to sort out things like this :)

2) In my experience, the upper limits are generally ignored.

*nods*  We tend to discourage super-lengthy biographies right out of the gate for the simple fact that we want to encourage people to grow their characters.  There are some of us who feel that if you rope them in too tightly from day one that you run the risk of them getting stagnant, 'cause you can't learn anything new about them.  I know this isn't always the case by a long shot, but we tend to work on the assumption that most people are new to this sort of thing.  *grins*

And, of course, nothing wrong with you updating your history as you go.  My (former) bonded, Matalina, has some hugely ridiculously long history now, compliments of having been an active RPer here for some 10 years.  Myself and my seven and a half years?  Not so long; I'm not nearly as active and creative as she is.

Anyways, I'm sure that Arath and Covai will let you know the score.  Regardless, glad to see you've made it down here! :)

Well hello there.  Not that there's much to add after whats been said, but since I check the bio's here, I'll put in the *ahem* official word.

If you want a long bio, knock yourself out.  I enjoy reading.  The problem is that the more you write, the more space you have for potential error.  9 times out of 10, I kick back long bios a time or two for corrections. 

As far as making up a village in the Black Hills ... so long as it's realistic I have no problem with it.  No Aiel or Seanchan superstitions and such.

Aye, thanks for the answers so far...

As far as making up a village in the Black Hills ... so long as it's realistic I have no problem with it.  No Aiel or Seanchan superstitions and such.

Short of sending it to see for yourselves, I can say that none of such is there. I set up some possible..."ties" to the past that I might expand on or not, although the latter is more likely. I just had this one idea to put in something about the village so that it might be at least to some degree more memorable than unnamed-collection-of-farms.

If you want a long bio, knock yourself out.  I enjoy reading.  The problem is that the more you write, the more space you have for potential error.  9 times out of 10, I kick back long bios a time or two for corrections.

Glad to hear that. I didn't want to send in a fully fledged short story and am quite set about the length and content of it right now, minor additions/corrections/rewordings aside. I'll try to have a look at those, if not today then in the next few days, and after that likely won't have any qualms about sending it on its' way-

also thanks to the input of you all. *grins*

Arathhhhh, you didn't kick back my bio, and I wrote almost 3 full pages!  Go me!

Trust me, we all welcome new stories because after a while, all of the bios have the same thing in them, ie Trolloc ate my Parents, the Bad Aes Sedai bit me, Mom or Dad was a national hero, I came from the wealthiest or poorest family....

Yeah.  Something new is always nice to read.  WELCOME!