DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greetings from snowy Siberia

Dmitri

Hi to everybody!

I'm Dmitri from Russian city Irkutsk.  :) Although I've been on this forum for some time, I'd like to introduce myself to the community.

We've got russian translation of WoT books only ~10 years ago, and since that time I've read and re-read it 'bout 8 times. And, thanks me  ;), I could read it in native language. That's gives a completely different view to RJ's works.

Здрастуйте Дмитри, как дела?

(also, how come I still remember how to spell that word?!)

I've actually got one of the books in Russian, but unfortunately, I've such a horrid time actually reading Cyrillic characters that I've not made it more than a page in.  I should really try again, and like.. read it aloud to myself; at least then I understand what I'm reading.

Anyhoo, welcome to our strange little online home. :)

Hello Dmitri! I hope you have gloves and a nice snug hat?

I hear it can get pretty cold there!

Welcome to Dragonmount!!

Oh yeah, I do have one ;) Soon it'll be just the right time for it! Now it's only 14F, but in December we'll have up to -40F...

Здрастуйте Дмитри, как дела?

(also, how come I still remember how to spell that word?!)

Well, you did skip two letters there: Здравствуйте  ;) But still, awesome!

Nice to be in here!

Hello, Dmitri.

Greetings from your namesake from a not so cold Belarus.

I haven't read the translations, but I do believe you that no translation can compare to RJ's works in the original.

Hope you like it here. And don't forget to check the orgs. :)

Hello, Dmitri.

Greetings from your namesake from a not so cold Belarus.

I haven't read the translations, but I do believe you that no translation can compare to RJ's works in the original.

Hope you like it here. And don't forget to check the orgs. :)

Yeah, although the russian translation is not that bad... Could be worse.  ;)

The printing was done badly - there were even no chapter icons (which do have big significance in the first books!) and the paper was awful.

Yeah, I know that the quality of the Russian editions of WoT (with a few exceptions) leaves much to be desired. I've seen them in bookshops many times. And they should have left the chapter icons, of course.

Raeyn, for some reason I was sure you would post here.  ;) Which WoT book do you have in Russian, if I may ask?

I have 'The Shadow Rising'.  The cover image is great - the scene is when the cards were attacking Mat, though they made him look super-old.  And it looks like there's a fat-faced Loial in the corner too, even if he wasn't there at that card game.

I had thought the books were split in half for Russian release, but looking at the back, it's only listing single volumes by the appropriate names :)

As for my mispelling... I had thought of going with Привет, but for some reason, my head insisted on being 'formal', or sommat.  It's been a while since I've had to use my Russian, so it's atrophying rapidly.  :-X

The first Russian editions of RJ's books were split into 2 or 3 volumes (like The Shadow Rising. Vol. 1. and The Shadow Rising. Vol. 2) that were sold together. IMHO it's a much better decision than to split them into several "novels" with different titles as many European publishers do. In later editions the novels were not split. You, probably, have one of those.

Welcome to DM! :)

We are a global site, so it is great see new members from various parts of the world! Hope you enjoy your stay here, and do not hesitate to ask us any questions you may have that relate to the site! :)

I also like the covers in russian edition, maybe 'cos I've seen them from the beginning  :D

And about splitting books in a few volumes - we had tSR, tFoH, LoC and aCoS split into 3 volumes each, all the rest - into 2. So I have a full WoT bookshelf at home - 27 books! ;)

Its when your nostril hair freeze that seems to make a marked impression on me. ;)

Dang I thought -5 with/whind chill was bad. *falls over frozen*

It also depends on the humidity a lot. We've a low one, so it's bearable even up to -40F. In regions with high humidity people get frozen to death when it's 0F...

Archived