DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Semirhage? Truth or lies?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dreadlord

Everything that has happened in the books backs her up.

Look at it this way. Rand cleansed Saidin, meaning he and his pals arent getting any more crazy. But Rand didnt do anything that went into the mind of every male channeler and remove the effects of the Taint now, did he? You see, the Cleansing didnt repair damage already caused by the Taint, so Rand will always be likely to have moments of loopiness, and Lews Therin will continue to try grabbing Saidin, until he gets more True Power Healing like LTT got (which obviously aint guna happen.) The Taints effects are removable, but Rand didnt do that.

In other words, anyone who never channeled Tainted Saidin is fine, those who channeled tainted Saidin wont get any worse but still show whatever signs of madness they already had.

Rand doesnt hear LTTs voice because he needs it, he hears it as a ide effect. this is backed up by him not hearing the voice for twenty years, starting channeling, and then he hears it.

Dude, did you pause and read the thread before you wrote that?

Because... well, let me see the number of things you got wrong.

Lanfear "He can hear LTT voice"

Graendal "What he THINKS he can hear LTT voice?"

Lanfear did not know he heard a voice. Graendal supplied that upon learning that Rand had Lews Therin's real memories.

Graendal "Well people who hear voices believe them to be real voices, thats why they are mad"

That's a very 'layperson' thought. Graendal was a world leading expert, recognised for her brilliance and insight in this field. I really do imagine she'd come up with something both more informative and more accurate than that.

Aside from which, Graendal had experience with madmen who hear real voices--why would she lie to Lanfear and pretend that madmen only heard fake voices?

Graendal "Well i've never studied the Draggon Reborn but when someone told me they had memories of a person from another age i never knew if they were real or not because i wasn't there, sounds more like he has two souls in one body"

You have no basis for how Graendal determined that those people were hearing real voices--but given she was a world leading expert I'll trust that she was able to prove herself quite adequately.

But, I suppose since you stated that you have some evidence to cast doubt on Graendal's credentials. Please do post this.

Furthermore, these are not situations of two souls in one body. Rand has only one soul, it merely has two manifesting personalities.

Graendal " Well whatever the case he probabley thinks he is crazy even though he isn't, but the taint will turn him crazy anyway, so who cares"

Again, why would Graendal, a world leading expert in psychology, utter something so patently false? It's quite clearly stated that she knew men whose insane voices were real. And since the taint is behind Rand hearing LTT why on earth would she add the end bit. Seems a bit obvious to me.

Lanfear "So shall we say a Real voice in his head which isn't madness is actually worse then a pretend voice in his head which is madness?"

Why would Lanfear say that after talking to Graendal who quite clearly knew hearing a real voice is a type of madness? Oh, that's right, Graendal had lied to her. I forgot.

Evidence? Where?

Taint=Madness

No Taint=No Madness

LTT grabbed the source in KOD, of course a voice in your head can do that!!!

He is the Dragon Reborn and has LTT in his head we know that

Exactly what evidence do you have that Semiharge was telling the truth or even knows the truth?,and nothing to contradict her? oh behave

Pale tanned lover, try to listen to me as i say this. In the Wheel of Time people sometimes hear real voices talking to them in their heads. This is a function of insanity, even though the voices are real, the people hearing them are hearing them because they are insane. LTT was able to grab the source because Rand is insane.

Semirhage stated this exactly. She learnt this from Graendal who realised it because Lanfear informed her that Rand had Lews Therin's memories. Graendal, due to her expertise, knew that meant he would be hearing Lews Therin's voice.

This is evidence and fact because Semirhage stated it--specifically, she had no reason to know he heard a voice, saying it would have been utterly stupid without a reason to know it, and she had none except in Graendal's expertise.

And there is absolutely nothing that contradicts anything she said. And that is because everything she said we can seperately prove as fact.

Seriously mate, you need to start reading the threads before you post. Wow.

*sighs, shakes his head, and wanders in look of a stiff drink*

And there is absolutely nothing that contradicts anything she said. And that is because everything she said we can seperately prove as fact.

Really plesae do since all of your opinions seem based on your opinion which i respect, i just don't have the same one as you, nothing you have mentioned is fact, i have read the posts, but since all your counter arguements can be refuted as being your judgement, and that scence with Lanfear/Graendal was a bit of fun since no-one actually KNOWS what happened. Its a good topio to discuss.

All in all you know i'm right ;)

Lanfear did not know he heard a voice. Graendal supplied that upon learning that Rand had Lews Therin's real memories.

And Mat hears voices too i suppose?

Aside from which, Graendal had experience with madmen who hear real voices--why would she lie to Lanfear and pretend that madmen only heard fake voices?

Does she? Because Semiharge says so?

But, I suppose since you stated that you have some evidence to cast doubt on Graendal's credentials. Please do post this.

as soon as you can back up with evidence that she has dealt with REAL voices i'd be more then happy

Again, why would Graendal, a world leading expert in psychology, utter something so patently false? It's quite clearly stated that she knew men whose insane voices were real. And since the taint is behind Rand hearing LTT why on earth would she add the end bit. Seems a bit obvious to me.

Nothing to do with being the Dragon Reborn of course

Why would Lanfear say that after talking to Graendal who quite clearly knew hearing a real voice is a type of madness? Oh, that's right, Graendal had lied to her. I forgot.

People who hear voices believe they are real, its a fact

Pale tanned lover, try to listen to me as i say this. In the Wheel of Time people sometimes hear real voices talking to them in their heads. This is a function of insanity, even though the voices are real, the people hearing them are hearing them because they are insane. LTT was able to grab the source because Rand is insane.

Semirhage stated this exactly. She learnt this from Graendal who realised it because Lanfear informed her that Rand had Lews Therin's memories. Graendal, due to her expertise, knew that meant he would be hearing Lews Therin's voice.

This is evidence and fact because Semirhage stated it--specifically, she had no reason to know he heard a voice, saying it would have been utterly stupid without a reason to know it, and she had none except in Graendal's expertise.

Still just your opinion, unless you were privvy to their conversation???

In other words, anyone who never channeled Tainted Saidin is fine, those who channeled tainted Saidin wont get any worse but still show whatever signs of madness they already had.

Where is this stated?

Guest Dreadlord

A pale tanned lover, you should take more notice of whats in the books.

Mat does NOT hear voices, he has memories of other people, and that is completely unrelated. Comparing the Dark Ones work with the Finns doesnt fit, because they arent the same at all.

About not believing what Semirhage says, what possible reason have you to not believe her, when everything she said has been proven right before she said any of it? Because she is Forsaken?

Moridin: I am Ishamael reincarnated, my original name was Tel Janin, I am from the Age of Legends, I am a guy, I serve the Dark One, I was killed by Rand al'Thor, and according to my boss Im guna rule in his name.

DONT BELIEVE ANY OF IT! HE IS FORSAKEN!

You have read the books, right? Because none of that is my opinions, none of it is my judgements.

It's in the books bud, sorry.

No need to be sorry, it's not your fault if your in the wrong

Haha--you do realise that you just suggested that its RJ's fault that I'm wrong. Oh, I get that you were trying to be witty, but seriously mate, replying to 'it's in the books, sorry' with 'no need to be sorry, its not your fault your wrong' directly implies that it's therefore the books fault the im wrong.

So, the books are at fault. Well, I guess they just never should have disagreed with you, eh? You should write to Brandon Sanderson--I'm sure he'll be more than happy to rewrite the books as soon as he's made aware that they disagree with you.

In the meantime, forgive the rest of us if we fail to fall at your feet in wonder.

Nope, and I'm pretty sure Graendal wouldn't have thought so either, as you were trying to imply. Graendal, remember, is an expert. Unlike you she'd have actually considered the true realities of how the memories manifested before making a diagnosis.

And lets not forget that her diagnosis was accurate.

Does she? Because Semiharge says so?

More or less, yes. I get the point your trying to make--that Semirhage's comment can't be taken as proof. The problem with that is that Semirhage has knowledge she has no way of gaining except in Graendal's expertise. Oh, through Lanfear they know he has some of Lews Therin's memories, but she had no way of knowing that Lews Therin had actually manifested as a voice. The only way she could have known that is from Graendal's expertise.

So yes, pale lover--and listen closely because your sarcasm implies you dismiss this out of hand--Graendal has expertise on this, and we know it SPECIFICALLY because Semirhage says so.

This has been stated before pale lover. I'm trying really hard not to see you as a troll, but I'm not sure I should continue. If you are genuinely interested in discussion, join it properly.

as soon as you can back up with evidence that she has dealt with REAL voices i'd be more then happy

Just curious, but by what you just said you do have some evidence that casts doubt on Graendal's credentials. After all if you feel you can do so as soon as I've done what you ask than you clearly already have it in place. Why not imploy it now, surely that serves a better purpose than empty taunts?

As for your requests, I have done so, and more than once in this thread. That Graendal has dealt with real voices has been proven by the fact that she was able to realise the symptoms in Rand.

Nothing to do with being the Dragon Reborn of course

Nope, nothing to do with the Dragon Reborn. Which is relevant, why?

People who hear voices believe they are real, its a fact

How old are you?

In any case, no, it's not a fact. Many forms of functional psychosis (as in mental problems that people are aware of, and in control of) involve hearing voices.

I don't see how thats relevant anyway. Whether the voice is real or not, it still effects his mental stability.

Still just your opinion, unless you were privvy to their conversation???

No mate, that was me explaining the text to you. That i said it does not make it my opinion, it makes it my retelling.

If you feel I've misrepresented an aspect of the text, cite it--but the books speak for themself buddy.

Where is this stated?

RJ stated it.

Nope, and I'm pretty sure Graendal wouldn't have thought so either, as you were trying to imply. Graendal, remember, is an expert.

This was in reply to you saying that Graendal had been told by Lanfear that Rand had LTT memories, the reason for my link to this is Mat has other people's memories so if that is the only basis for her diagnostic of Rand then the same could be said for Mat since we know Graendal never studied men who went mad with the taint because she was sealed away. Therefore using your assumption that Graendal is right about Rand 100% on the little that she knows then she would therefore have to have the same view with Mat if she only got told he has other mens memories.

More or less, yes. I get the point your trying to make--that Semirhage's comment can't be taken as proof. The problem with that is that Semirhage has knowledge she has no way of gaining except in Graendal's expertise. Oh, through Lanfear they know he has some of Lews Therin's memories, but she had no way of knowing that Lews Therin had actually manifested as a voice. The only way she could have known that is from Graendal's expertise.

Could be argued that Lanfear guessed at this when she was with Rand and how he acted and told Graendal which too me seems more likely.

I don't see how thats relevant anyway. Whether the voice is real or not, it still effects his mental stability.

Totally agree with you on that.

Where is this stated?

RJ stated it.

Good enough for me, that also means if LTT is part of Rands madness he wont get any worse then he is so therefore Semiharge lied.

Guest Dreadlord

Rands situation is unique in that respect. The other Ashaman arent progressing into "terminal madness." They dont have two never-healing wounds which are infected with two different kinds of evil (one of which, I might add, came from the same source as the Taint) and the other Ashaman arent linked to a True Power user. Rands sanity has several things to grind at it, even if you assume that his duty is no longer eating away at him.

Even if Rand was getting worse, that doesnt change anything, since Semirhage never commented on the cause of Rands madness, so thats irrelevant. The madness is by no means unique to the Taint at all, otherwise Rand would be the first Graendal could ever have come across with this type of madness, seeing as she was bound from the world as soon as the Taint came into effect

Moridin: I am Ishamael reincarnated, my original name was Tel Janin, I am from the Age of Legends, I am a guy, I serve the Dark One, I was killed by Rand al'Thor, and according to my boss Im guna rule in his name.

DONT BELIEVE ANY OF IT! HE IS FORSAKEN!

Ishamael's real name was Elan Morin Tedronai.

Tel Janin Aellinsar was Sammael.

He IS lying.  ;)

(I'm not disagreeing with you here, just pointing out a mistake).

In the meantime, forgive the rest of us if we fail to fall at your feet in wonder.

Ha, Luckers Your my Hero.

But anyway, I disagree with a pale... We have no reason to think shes lieing short of "Shes a bad girl."

We do have proof however that Rand is hearing a REAL voice and that he is REALLY going insane.

Guest Dreadlord

Ishamael's real name was Elan Morin Tedronai.

Tel Janin Aellinsar was Sammael.

He IS lying. 

(I'm not disagreeing with you here, just pointing out a mistake).

UNQUOTE

Yea erm... I meant Elan Morin...

Anyway, if anyone can state any pure evidence from the books showing that she was wrong and then I'll reconsider, but until then I stick by Semirhages words in KoD. Absolutey nothing hints that she is wrong

This was in reply to you saying that Graendal had been told by Lanfear that Rand had LTT memories, the reason for my link to this is Mat has other people's memories so if that is the only basis for her diagnostic of Rand then the same could be said for Mat since we know Graendal never studied men who went mad with the taint because she was sealed away. Therefore using your assumption that Graendal is right about Rand 100% on the little that she knows then she would therefore have to have the same view with Mat if she only got told he has other mens memories.

Yes, mate, i got your point... and, as I stated in the rest of my reply which you conveniently ignored--"Nope, and I'm pretty sure Graendal wouldn't have thought so either, as you were trying to imply. Graendal, remember, is an expert. Unlike you she'd have actually considered the true realities of how the memories manifested before making a diagnosis."

Rand's memories manifested as the result of the taint. Logically, therefore, she'd have linked them to types of insanity that involve real memories, and have deduced that they would have to come with a voice. Mat's memories manifested because the Finn's shoved them in there.

All of which is irrelevant because her diagnosis was completely accurate.

It's hard to argue that she made a mistake when she was completely correct. I don't even see why your bothering to try.

Could be argued that Lanfear guessed at this when she was with Rand and how he acted and told Graendal which too me seems more likely.

No, it can't be because it's directly stated by a third person who realised Rand was hearing a real voice. Lanfear described the symptoms to Graendal, and Graendal provided the diagnosis.

What's your purpose in making such a distinction anyway? Rand hears a real voice, Semirhage was aware of that--thus everything she said was true, and this conversation is utterly pointless.

Pale tanned lover... Semirhage spoke the complete truth. Graendal was the one that gave her that truth, but the two prove each other.

Yes, mate, i got your point... and, as I stated in the rest of my reply which you conveniently ignored--"Nope, and I'm pretty sure Graendal wouldn't have thought so either, as you were trying to imply. Graendal, remember, is an expert. Unlike you she'd have actually considered the true realities of how the memories manifested before making a diagnosis."

Rand's memories manifested as the result of the taint. Logically, therefore, she'd have linked them to types of insanity that involve real memories, and have deduced that they would have to come with a voice. Mat's memories manifested because the Finn's shoved them in there.

First of all bud, if Rand's memories manifested because of the taint then like your previous comment he won't go any madder then he already is, so Semiharge was lying about the descent into abrupt madness. And Graendal have no working knowledge connected with the taint.

Secondly, which you glossed over Graendal would have no reason to know that Rand hadn't got his memories from the Finn's either, so giving her opinion on either Rand or Mat she would have come up with the same thing, so she can't be totally right on that basis.

Yes Semiharge maybe partly right in the end diagnosis from Graendal i'm not saying she lied about everything and the reason i'm still going on about it is because your logic for how it is all true, just doesn't sit with me, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

On that note though i'm going to leave this topic, and dive for cover under the machine gun fire ;D

Guest Dreadlord

Semirhage never said Rand would get any worse than he is, she merely stated why he is the way he is. And as pointed out before there is no way that the Taint is the only cause of a real past-life voice because Graendal had already encountered this type of madness before the Taint was inflicted on Saidin. So, even though Rand can no longer be affected by the Taint, the many other things that get to Rand are still there, and could still make Lews Therin worse than he already is.

Face it APTL, you were wrong all the way through this thread

First of all bud, if Rand's memories manifested because of the taint then like your previous comment he won't go any madder then he already is, so Semiharge was lying about the descent into abrupt madness. And Graendal have no working knowledge connected with the taint.

Ok, again, the taint is not a type of madness, the taint causes madness. We have seen too many different types of insanity resulting from exposure to the taint for it to be a type of madness in and off itself--what it does is it catalyses pre-existing mental conditions into manifesting. So yes, Graendal's experiences with mental illness are relevant to taint-related insanitis.

Secondly, just because the taint is no longer pushing things along does not mean Rand's mental condition will suddenly stop in the mud. There is another completely real, fully fledged personality jumping around inside him. That's a very serious condition--even without the taint, people that have experienced that condition have quite frequently gone bonkers.

Which is exactly what Semirhage said to him. The taint may have caused the problem, but the problem is there whether or not the taint still is, and it could still cause him to go completely nuts.

Secondly, which you glossed over Graendal would have no reason to know that Rand hadn't got his memories from the Finn's either, so giving her opinion on either Rand or Mat she would have come up with the same thing, so she can't be totally right on that basis.

You're going at it the wrong way, Graendal wasn't guessing at symptoms, she was told his symptoms by Lanfear--he had memories specific to one individual, an individual that was a past incarnation of his soul. As such, she made a diagnosis--based on the symptoms, she predicted he heard a real voice.

And she was totally right on that basis. Everything she said was absolutely and completely correct. You cannot get around that.

Now were she offered Mat's scenario she wouldn't have given the same diagnosis. Clearly having snippets of memories of hundreds of people that all appeared directly after interactions with the finns is not the same condition has the memories of one person who was a previous incarnation of their soul.

Thats what i was trying to say to you by telling you that she was an expert. Though the symptoms seem similar, the specifics differ--thats what expertise allows you to realise.

Aside from which, who knows, maybe she would have been stupid enough to make the mistake of thinking Mat's problems were the same. Who cares? The fact is that she was completely correct about Rand. End of story.

Yes Semiharge maybe partly right in the end diagnosis from Graendal i'm not saying she lied about everything and the reason i'm still going on about it is because your logic for how it is all true, just doesn't sit with me, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm sorry mate, Semirhage was completely right. This is not one of those agree to disagree situations, this is one of those 'proven as fact' situations.

Guest Dreadlord

You know what annoys me so much about this topic? A lot of the time, more so recently I have been looking at the books from a writers POV to get some pointers. If you look at it from RJs POV, Semirhages speech was RJs way of confirming whats going on in Rands head. Who else could do this, other than Forsaken, who were noted for their skills in specific areas? And here we are, debating over it, as if it hasnt been explained in black, white and red all over.

Some things can be figured out without reading between the lines people. Not everything has an undercurrent with hidden meanings and motives. Sometimes, even in WoT, you CAN take things as they seem, especially when someone, ie Semirhage, offers an explanation that cant really be argued with BECAUSE IT TELLS US WHAT WAS ALREADY OBVIOUS.

I read on the net somewhere, BS said he and Harriet have agreed on a place in AMOL where Asmodeans killer can be confirmed. I can see it now.

Graendal: "I killed Asmodean."

She is Forsaken, so she cant possibly be telling the truth, can she?In fact, as Forsaken she has more reason to lie than tell the truth. Maybe she said she did it, to make the other Chosen fear her? Thats what makes her Forsaken, right? NOT!!! In other words, if a Forsaken admits to killing Asmo, theres no point showing that on screen coz nobody will believe it

You're right that Graendal doesn't have experience with people who have suffered from the taint, but that only makes her diagnosis more ominous. You fail to take into account that mental illness can progress without any supernatural influence. Rand is so unbalanced at this point that the extreme stress he's undergoing is more than likely enough to adversely effect his mental health.

Greandal was a psychologist before the war of power, the guide makes this clear. She must have run into this condition before if she was able to diagnosis it from the symptoms Lanfear provided. If the patients she treated tended to descend suddenly into madness with no help from the taint, then there's no reason that Rand isn't at danger from the same thing happening.

I think the main point so many people are so willing to dismiss and forget is that for someone to be diagnosied they have too be studied, put it this way, someone tells an expert something, she has no idea of the person mentally at hand she gives her opinion, or at least we are told she does. Lots of you are so happy to believe this but would any of you let someone who didnt know you tell you through someone else that they know something about you, which couldnt be proven? Like saying the economy is safe because i'm an expert in shares

I think the main point so many people are so willing to dismiss and forget is that for someone to be diagnosied they have too be studied, put it this way, someone tells an expert something, she has no idea of the person mentally at hand she gives her opinion, or at least we are told she does. Lots of you are so happy to believe this but would any of you let someone who didnt know you tell you through someone else that they know something about you, which couldnt be proven? Like saying the economy is safe because i'm an expert in shares

But we know she's right because we the readers have seen inside of Rand's head. He has the voice of the real LTT in his head.

Archived