DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Comp trouble...

Jehaine

Well, my gfx card just died today. The comp kept restarting itself all the time, but my screen just kept sitting in stadndby mode. Another monitor didn't help either, so that means i can't get behind my own comp right now.

So yeah... Though my activity is going to drop until i find other ways of logging on, i'll still be ble to get on once or twice a day at best... Just don't expect to see me around as often over the next couple of weeks ^^;

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! *thud*  *shakes the cobwebs from his head*  NO, you can't have computer trouble.

Seriously I have had some horrible luck with gfx cards and that sucks.  Ooh check to make sure the fan on your card is not gunked up.  I had that once where it was and it kept overheating the card forcing my system to reboot.  If it is not something simple then good luck getting a new one!

Heh, had the same problem just a bit ago. It is going to sound wierd, but if you have additional RAM installed, try taking out one of the cards and starting it up. It is kind of common for this problem to occur, not sure of the cause in most cases.

In mine it was somebody cracking the board when he tried to put a RAM card in backwards. >_>

Well, my card's kind of old (GeForce FX 5200) and it has been acting up already. It was just a matter of time until it broke down, it already took 20-30 mins to start up my comp for rebooting. It glitched up on everything past DOS level graphics in games, but for surfing the net and Photoshopping stuff it did its job nicely.

Most i could do is indeed take it out as i have an onboard card as well (though it's been unused for ages), i just have to remember how to plug my flatscreen monitor in it ^^;

My (old) motherboard had a VGA for the onboard graphics card, and my monitor has an HDMI plug, but most graphics cards come with converters between the two nowadays, but since your GFX card is a bit older, you might not have it. Pretty sure bestbuy will have them, or just go to tigerdirect.com, thats where I get all of my comp parts. I just ordered a new motherboard (P5N-D) and 4 gigs of 800mhz RAM for around 250.

Yeah, i got it lying around somewhere, it had a built in gfx card when i bought it. The card's actually a salvaged part from an even older throwaway comp, according to the age-old motto "It's better than nothing" ^^;

Also, i live in Europe, which makes ordering from the States a bit costly. I'll have to look around on my own, i fear, but at least i managed to pinpoint the source of the problem so i'll have an easier time setting it straight in the end...

Ahh, EU, I don't suppose there is a tigerdirect.co.uk or wherever you live.. >_>

And yeah, I've salvaged a couple parts from older comps before, I eventually replaced them all though, I had a lot of problems with combatability and just problems in general.

And it's always frustrating to take a stick of memory from an older computer and put it into a new one and start getting random lockups and reboots that you can't figure out.

You can't even stick different chips with the same speed (e.g., PC2100) into a computer if they end up having different timings or what-not.  Best bet just always seems to be to only use memory chips together if they're the exact same brand and model number.

Pain in the rear! >:(

Haha, yeah Shendare. I do what I can to purchase all of my parts at the same time, and check out all of that stuff before I buy it. My friends benefit from my constant upgrading..I think it's matt's turn for my graphics card and RAM..

...*adds Kura to friends list*

ANYWAY, yeah. Been looking at a couple of new comps lately, but they're still a tad on the expensive side. The ones i want, at least. So i'll keep mucking around for another month or two until newER becomes just new, and therefore affordable.

Oh well.