DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Preparing for Hurricane Gustav....

Red2111

okay i just got up not to long ago and decided to turn on the television.

low and behold, that little cat 1 had exploded overnight and has now become a second Katrina from the looks of him. 

in 12 hours, Gustav has went froma cat 1, to a cat 3; and i dare not think how much more intense and big he will get once over the open and bath like water of the gulf.

gas prices have already jumped 20 cents, and that was while he was teetering on the line between tropical stom and hurricane.  i dread going out and seeing how much they've jumped, now that he is a full blown Cat 3 and expected to venture into the lands of greater cat 4's and cat 5's.

having already done alot of my shopping for this event, i still find myself lacking a few well needed items; two if you want specifics.  a few bags of Charcal and lighter fluid.  easy enough to come by on any regular day, but i fear that like bottled water, it will have became scarce by now or rather expesnive to get.

seeing as this will be my first hurricane, as Fay decided she perferred to be a tropical storm much more; you can understand my concern, and pending fear as this rather massive Katrina like storm enters the Gulf and heads towards my home.

*nocks on wood*  i can only hope that the damage recieved on my house is again, an 8 inch hole in the roof (as was with Katrina) and that the leavies hold out for NOLA as they're directly in Gustav's path....

and no, i have not forgotten you Tropical Storm Hanna, who is to be a Cat 1 by the time she graces Florida with her presence and heads into the breeding grounds of the Gulf; though i feel her predetermined course is for Mexico and Texas, i still hope she doesn't gain too much power on her way across the warm bath water.

is anyone else preparing, or evacuated or already goign through/have gone though these two storms??

good luck with evacuating, i saw on tv just now they are because they are expecting it to be a leve 5 by the time it hits US, and while yesterday it was level 4 and recomended evacuation, they now uped it to force one where they wont gurantie for the safety of those staying, and saying go or your on your own ;)

i'm glad that Gustav was only a Cat 2.  though he was still strong....  we didn't get hit too bad, didn't lose power at all.  just alot of rain and wind, and luckily none of the tornadoes hit either.  the only damage we took was the loss of a tree in our front yard.  a tree that's weathered other more pwerful storms like Katrina and Andrew and Camile lmao 

at one point we had really strong Hurricane force gusts, and i think thats when the tree fell. 

if you watched the Weather Channel at all durning Gustav, you might have heard them mention a place call Pascagula or Moss Point in Coastal Miss; thats about 20 minutes from where i live.  we're about 30 minutes drive from Mobile :)  and on the upper side of I10 so were not in a real danger zone.

as for evacuations, me and bubba are both sutubborn; having not been through Katrina when she blew through.  so we stayed.  but the evacutaions were only manditory for those in trailors, Katrina/Mississippi Cottages, and flood zones; something were not in.  *huggles my house*  it's pure brick, one story and didn't get any flooding at all during this storm or Katrina :)  we're in a realitively good spot, sitting on a Bluff and being around 28 feet above sea level

I live in Northern Louisiana, and we were supposed to get hit a lot worse than we did. There was some really intense winds for awhile and tons of rain, but not near what they predicted for our area. Some of the surrounding areas saw tornadoes and much worse storms, but thankfully we were ok...I really hate storms (they usually involve me hiding under beds lol).

I am glad to hear you made it out alright though, it's great to hear of others who weren't affected to terribly bad!!

yeah it sort of blew over before hiting, they feared it becoming a 5, then it sudenly was a 3, then a 2, and the last i heard before stoped paying attention was that it migth be downgraded to a tropical storm

^ i wouldn't have been surprised, seeing as how fast he kept decreasing in strength, if that did happen.  anyone know what caused Gustav to take that swing for lesser power??  was there a cold water current or high pressure system in the air??  i think the lower the pressure in a hurricane, the more powerful it becomes... right??

you guys still getting some bad rains from him though, right Anika???

i'm now getting a bit concerned about Ike, he went to a Cat 3 in a 12 hour period yesturday....  and i think he's supposed to swing into the gulf.  hopefully the same thing will happen to him that happened to gustav....  the poor islands down there in the carrabian though...  their getting hammered rather hard this year.  hopefuly Haiti doesn't get too much more damage..

and speaking of Hurricanes, that would be what i'm drinking right now *grins*

Archived