DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question concerning Rand's soul.

Roxinos

Considering the fact that Rand's soul is one which was picked by the Wheel to be woven into the Pattern at a necessary time, it stands to reason that his soul was lying in wait in tel'aran'rhiod along with the rest of the Heroes until Rand was born. I have a few questions concerning this. I do not think any of the questions can be answered reasonably. I'm fairly certain any answer given will be speculation.

1) What form does Rand's soul take while it is in the World of Dreams waiting to be woven out into the Pattern again?

2) Would the insanity which controlled Lews Therin during the end of his life consume him even in death?

3) Or maybe he wasn't insane because of what Ishamael did to him just before he died?

4) In either scenario, what would Lews Therin's interaction with the other Heroes consist of?

These last ones are really just concerning the Heroes in general.

5) Do the Heroes interact with each other at all while in the World of Dreams? Or do they limit their interaction with only those whose souls they are bound to (Gaidal Cain and Birgitte, for example)?

6) What the hell do the Heroes do with the time they're in the World of Dreams? They have little to interact with besides the other Heroes. If they do not even interact with each other, then do they merely reminisce on their past lives? Do people like Artur Hawkwing ever feel remorse or regret for the actions they committed in their many lives (Hawkwing's rejection of all Aes Sedai and death due to that in the most recent turning of the Wheel)?

The questions just came to mind. I felt I needed to put them down somewhere.

Considering the fact that Rand's soul is one which was picked by the Wheel to be woven into the Pattern at a necessary time, it stands to reason that his soul was lying in wait in tel'aran'rhiod along with the rest of the Heroes until Rand was born. I have a few questions concerning this. I do not think any of the questions can be answered reasonably. I'm fairly certain any answer given will be speculation.

1) What form does Rand's soul take while it is in the World of Dreams waiting to be woven out into the Pattern again?

2) Would the insanity which controlled Lews Therin during the end of his life consume him even in death?

3) Or maybe he wasn't insane because of what Ishamael did to him just before he died?

4) In either scenario, what would Lews Therin's interaction with the other Heroes consist of?

5) Do the Heroes interact with each other at all while in the World of Dreams? Or do they limit their interaction with only those whose souls they are bound to (Gaidal Cain and Birgitte, for example)?

6) What the hell do the Heroes do with the time they're in the World of Dreams? They have little to interact with besides the other Heroes. If they do not even interact with each other, then do they merely reminisce on their past lives? Do people like Artur Hawkwing ever feel remorse or regret for the actions they committed in their many lives (Hawkwing's rejection of all Aes Sedai and death due to that in the most recent turning of the Wheel)?

The questions just came to mind. I felt I needed to put them down somewhere.

1) Probably the same form as Birgettes, the most recent spinning. If rand dies his soul will appear as him most likely. Or perhaps the first spinning of his soul, from the dawn of the world.

2)No because if it was his soul which is insane, rand would have popped out and started shrieking and throwing things, and well does the word DEMONCHILD mean anything to you.

3)This I cannot say, but from what the DO said in EYE of the WORLD, he said he gave him a MOMENT of sanity. He probably took it away as he died. This is pure speculation.

4)Well I think he probably did what they all did, went about their lives as if they were alive and popped into each others presence for a quick chat. (Popped, literally) Remember Gaidal Cain just popping up to speak to Birgette?

5)This noone can say for sure(same as number 4 and 3 and 2 and 1), but I think that they had some sort of contact. It would be quite boring sitting around without anything to do for any where from one minute to ten thousand years. Time flows differently in tel'aran'oid

6)If they dont have interaction I think they go about normal, WIERD lives. And I dont think Artur Hawkwing feels bad, remember his short speech to Rand. And the heroes under stand that the wheel weaves...

2) All souls lose their memory at birth. Rand is an oddity in that he gets the memories of Lews Therin.

6) No, I don't remember his little speech. It's been a long time since I read the series.

Probably the last incarnation. Ie, until Rands birth, the form of LTT, after rands death, the form of Rand. 

The soul is not insane, the incarnation LTT was/is.

Like Nds said, Ishy only gave LTT a limited time of sanity.

Who says they are interacting? The only Heroes we have seen in T'A'R are Birgitte and cain, and they are an oddity by being connected when they are spun out. The others...Well, they might have a chat if they run into eachother, but I doubt there would be anything more than that. We know from Birgittes comments that there are a number of rules, so keeping a low profile seems like a good idea.

See above :)

As above, what says they are interacting? As for Hawkwing (or anyone else for that matter), I can not see why they would feel anything at all about their actions. Being heroes, they if anyone should be able to see the big picture, especially while in T'A'R inbetween incarnations.

Maj, your repetition of the question "who says they're interacting?" is quite annoying, if I may say so myself. Especially considering your answer and every other answer is pure speculation. There is just enough evidence to support the Heroes interaction with one another as to suggest their non-interaction. That is to say, there is no evidence either way.

Even Birgitte's mention of "rules" within the system does not support either way. The rules, as far as we're aware, govern their actions with the living. There is nothing to suggest that the Heroes' actions with each other need be limited.

Also, in response to my final question, you simply repeat your mantra rather than answer the question in any manner of grand speculation. In my final question I was not once more asking if they interact, I was simply posing the question of what their pseudo-lives consist of while in-between lives. I would think they would exist in some sort of enlightened state, so there is the possibility that they sit around and meditate all day, but even saying that would've been a more appropriate answer to the first part of that question.

If you have an opinion, state your opinion. You do not have to state your opinion in such a way as to downgrade anyone's contradicting opinion, especially in a situation such as this where your opinion has just as much base and merit as anyone other.

Setting that aside, thanks for your opinion. :D

Rox, the last three questions are similar enough for the same reply to be used on all of them. With the exception of the last part about eventual remorse about past actions, the core of all the questions is about the eventual interaction, and the same answer thus applies.

And the lack of knowledge comes with their "life" in T'A'R as well. We do not even know if they are bound to the "corporeal" form we see Brgitte in, or if they can take a more spiritual form, perhaps even float around in that emptiness where Egwene found all the dreams.

I can only speak for myself, but if I were doomed to live forever, I would definitly take a nap for a hundred years or so every now and then. 

The fourth and fifth questions are similar, yes, but the final question is not. Neither parts of the final question are. The final question does not refer to the Heroes interactions with one another, as you seem to think it does, but rather it questions how the Heroes live their lives. A question which you now acknowledge.

It doesn't matter, you answered my question.

Archived