DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TDR Reread Question

Hybrid

The meeting was Suroth's idea; she is looking for anything that the Dark can use, and anything that can help her become Empress.  I suspect that after meeting Masema, she came to the same conclusion as all rational folk:  this guy is a raving lunatic!

The possibility of becoming Empress was something that dawned to Suroth quite some time after her meeting with Masema. That only becomes a possibility when Semirhage mentions that except for Tuon, the imperial family has been wiped out.

Yeah, my bad - but looking for ways to move up the "Blood" line, though.  And, in the back of her mind, as she will gain pwer as a Darkfriend at the ascension of the DO, she may have harbored that dream, anyways.

Even if Masema had been a posterboy for mental health, the fact still remains that he controlled an "army" mainly of peasants with pitchforks and rusty breadknives. A great plot to use them to capture Rand...Not even a falling-down drunk Elaida would think it was a good idea, and Suroth is hardly a fool considering the position she reached.

Instead of looking for these huge, übercomplex plots, start at the bottom.

Ie, Let the Lord of Chaos rule...

I'm not looking for any complex plots, and never thought Suroth was looking to kidnap Rand; letting the Lord of Chaos rule is fine as a motive.  She would still be looking to use the situation to her advantage, and would quickly realize that it wouldn't work.  That army of peasants had created enough chaos on their own.  The chaos is now significantly reduced, largely through the actions of the Seanchen and Perrin.

Thing is, Suroth seems to think she can benefit from whatever dealings with masema she has, since she gave him the note that Perrin got his hands on. Now, that note would obviously only be useful in lands controlled by the seanchan, and Masema seemed very reluctant to actually go with Perrin, and immidiatly jumped at the opportunity to help Perrin go after Faile. A move that guaranteed that Masema could stay in the area a bit longer.

So, Suroth had some use for Masema in that particular part of the world. And having Masema keep up the good work would definitly mean spreading chaos.

I forgot about that note.  Good thing I'm doing a reread of the series.  IMO, Suroth contacted Masema because he is one of the powers in the region.  Perhaps they got along because of their similar viewpoints over channeling.

That was an awesome scene, when Suroth finally got what she deserved.  Tuon walks in, Suroth thinks of blaming Galgan or another Seanchan leader, and Tuon just destroys her.  Along with the entire Tuon-Mat sequence in COT and KOD, that put Tuon on my list of favorite characters for sure.

You do know where Suroths true loyalties lie, right ;)

Of course I know, that makes me beleive that she would want Rand to go to Seandar,

I must be missing something fundamental. Suroth's a darkfriend. At the time she meets with Masema she doesn't know Semi is in Seandar, right? Why would she want Rand to go to Seandar then?

Even if she has orders not to kill Rand what's the use in sending him packing off to Seandar where, if their version of prophecy is to be believed, it'll aid him in winning TG?

Surely as a Darkfriend who believes the Seanchan prophecies she'll want him as far away from the throne as possible.

Or have I missed something plotwise?

Or have I missed something plotwise?

No, you have not missed anything plotwise. There is nothing indicating Suroth would have any particular interest in sending Rand to Seandar. And there is definitly nothing indicating that she would want to bring masema into such a plot. Quite the contrary...

Archived