DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT vs. Dune

gunslinger

This subject has been rehashed many many times.

1. Not a particularly novel concept for any author, not stolen from each other either, just similar idea's...

2. Both used the same source as their inspiration, however, you can also see differences, as RJ at least used other sources for the Aiel as well.

3. Well, everyone needs a main character right?

The simple fact is, there's only so many plots a person can do in the fantasy Genre, and RJ was not going out of his way to copy dune. His was his own story that he chose to wrote. There are lots of parallels, but WoT isn't a rip on Dune.

Also if you remember in the first book RJ may have tipped his hat to Herbert and Dune in naming the Shadowspawn creature the Worm.  Just a thought.

Yes there are many similarities between Dune and the Wheel of Time series, there are also many dissimilarities. As both are in the fantassy genre its not surprising.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many more point-to-point comparisons between WoT and Dune than the normal, "Oh, both are SF&F stories," ones though. I don't think it really damages either story and RJ does different things with the concepts, but there was clearly an influence at work.

That said, R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing Trilogy is a better exploration of the themes and ideas raised by Dune in a fantasy setting. He even writes like Frank Herbert, which is a huge achievement.

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, if you really want to point fingers at plot/concept-stealing writers, point 'em at Christopher Paolini and his vegetarian elves.   

I'm glad someone else saw this too.  I never liked Eragon because the plot was ripped right out of Star Wars.  Honestly, you could predict most of what happens just from making connections between the two.  I won't mention anything now because of spoilers, but it was so blindingly obvious from the start that I tossed the book away in disgust.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right on, gunslinger. When I read Dune, I noticed the commonalities immediately. But, like the others have said, there is more than enough originality in the WoT to make it stand completely apart as a literary work. Also, I got the sense that Herbert made the Fremen seem much more dangerous than the Aiel, though I find the Aiel much more entertaining, endearing and downright funny.

Archived