DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Putting the Stilling vs Burnout issue to rest.

Quite frankly I concider this issue at read--and i know that people disagree. The description of what Rand does is directly opposed to stilling. Nynaeve describes what stilling is, a knife-sharp cut. Rand crushes them in fists of spirit, he overstrains their abilities thus searing the ability out of them... more or less precisely as Leopold's quote describes to be an overpowering of the Power.

Burning out and stilling are different in effect. Nevertheless both can be healed.

Quite frankly I concider this issue at read--and i know that people disagree. The description of what Rand does is directly opposed to stilling. Nynaeve describes what stilling is, a knife-sharp cut. Rand crushes them in fists of spirit, he overstrains their abilities thus searing the ability out of them... more or less precisely as Leopold's quote describes to be an overpowering of the Power.

What if they are just two different ways to do the exact same thing?

Well they are different in nature--those that are stilled can still sense the Power, those that are burned out cannot.

Despite that seemingly both can be healed. They are similar functions, with slightly different effects...

Well they are different in nature--those that are stilled can still sense the Power, those that are burned out cannot.

Despite that seemingly both can be healed. They are similar functions, with slightly different effects...

I can't remember but have Flinn healed anyway that was Stilled the "traditional" way? Or just what Rand did to those at Dumais Wells? Because it would be interesting if a man can heal someone who have been burnt out and women can heal people who have been stilled. Even though i think theres a quote with RJ saying that a man can heal a woman to full strenght and vice versa.

Nah we havn't seen Flinn heal someone who was stilled, but given Egwene's thoughts about novices not fearing burning themselves out as much anymore my guess is that the same methods work.

And yeah RJ said that to fully heal a person it has to be done by someone of the opposite gender. A men healing a men would leave the healed person weaker in the power like Siuan, Leane and Cyndane.

• 2 weeks later...

Think of it this way, Im gonna go back to the whole power saw vs. elephant thing. If you get your arm crushed by a elephant, the nerves and bones all shift with the pressure then break, when your arm is cut clean, nothing shifts. Perhaps bieng burnt out is different because it shifts from the strain, THEN breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

someone might have already said this, but it seems to me that "burning out" by description is when the ability is seared completely out of you to the point where you can't even sense the True Source anymore.

In order to Heal that, one would theoretically have to regrow the ability since it no longer exists.  Not that this can't be done - but it seems like a different kind of Healing than just reconnecting what's been cut as in severing/stilling/gentling.

someone might have already said this, but it seems to me that "burning out" by description is when the ability is seared completely out of you to the point where you can't even sense the True Source anymore.

In order to Heal that, one would theoretically have to regrow the ability since it no longer exists.  Not that this can't be done - but it seems like a different kind of Healing than just reconnecting what's been cut as in severing/stilling/gentling.

True, but remember that Nyneave and Flinn did discuss how they had used different weaves in their respective healings.  It is tempting to assume that this is just differences in healing with Saidar and healing with Saiden, but it could be that the weaves were different because they were healing two completely different things.  Nyneave discovered how to heal stilling while Flinn discovered how to hear burnout.

Archived