DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

As the Wheel Turns (WoT free MMORPG)

Ok, I plan on going to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville to get my Masters in gaming design and programming. I think as a training and practice for me, I should make an MMORPG based on the Wheel of Time series. I want to know before I try and make it though, would anyone even check it out? How many of you would play it? I think it could be a good try to get the modern game addicted kids, who dont really read books, to discover what an awesome series the Wheel of Time really is. What do you guys think? If you have any questions on gameplay or story, or anything else about it, please feel free to ask it.

*Note, for those who dont know what an MMORPG is, an example is World of Warcraft or Runescape

Would it be like those lame ass ones they have where you use that telcast software or whatever it's called and all it really is is text? And you have to somehow know which combination of letters and number to type in to result in actions.

Or would it actually have Avatars/Characters and weapons and armor,accessories,Upgradeable stats attacks etc.?

Would you try the whole D&D type way where they have like your basic plus 3 and 4 weapons and then you have legendary weapons? You could have Hawkwings Sword, or Matrims Ashendiari lol.

Would the story actually be along the lines with the book leading up to the last battle and you take some part in that or would it be set after. Or maybe before during the AoL?

Would you pick your class in the character generation at the beginning of the game or would you just pick your race and gender? You start out as a Male human, or Ogier, or Trolloc, or Fade or something. The only bad about that would be is any race but a human wouldn't really have any room for improvement. Fades and Trollocs and ogier can pretty much do whatever they can do based on their race. Humans on the otherhand could go Aes Sedai (Female) or Ahsha'man (Male) or you could go warder I guess or maybe Blademaster, or Winged guard or something.

Would you pick your alignment or would your actions during the gameplay determine which side you end up on. If you were to become a darkfriend and you were just a regular human would the whole game just be you getting yanked and pushed around on the whims or whichever forsaken or darkfriend happened to be higher up than you at the moment.

Would you pick your country of origin? Could you be Seanchan or Aiel? And if you were to pick one of the characters such as a blade master or warder would there be PvP? Would it be able to be any class against any class? Aes Sedai or Ashaman would obviously destroy an ordinary non channeling character.

When it came to channeling would you learn weaves as you gain experience would you to go to some kind of guild teacher or could you say force yourself and just select random weaves of the power to try and discover your own weaves. What would determine the strength of your channeling? Would you gain experience by killing random Trollocs or Draghkar or Fades? Would you decide where the experience goes I.E. Strength (Physical) dexterity so on, or would you be able to use the experience to gain strength in the power?

If you were a channeler how would you know at what strength an opposing channler was at to determine if you could shield them or not? If it was a channeler of the same sex as you how would the power be measured, on what type of scale? If you gained the ability to travel how would you have to go about learning the area you were at so you could travel to somwhere you've been?

I could probably think of alot more stuff but I think thats a good start lol. Either way though if somebody could actually do it and make it halfway decent I would definitely check it out. I heard the PC game they made was extremely lame and I never even bothered to try it.

Yeah, it would have characters and swords and backgrounds and stuff. All the other stuff, I'm still learning how to design and program, but I know enough to keep the game running smooth.

PvP I'm not sure about, because like you said, an Aes Sedai or Asha'man would definately over power anyone else. But if enough people play updates will happen, which might allow PvP.

Stats like strength and channeling will be gained by fighting Trollocs and Fades, etc, using whatever you want to level up. (swords fopr strength, the One Power for channeling)

The story line won't really follow the books all the way. It will include most of the characters, but since its an MMO, and the options should be virtually endless, you're character is just placed INSIDE of Randland. You will not be forced on anything.

The characters will all be human, but you can customize them (clothes, gender ,looks, etc.)

As starting locations, I am not sure. I will have to see how that goes.

If there were to be special weapons, there of course couldnt be multiple copies of the same one. If there would be any special weapons, you would have it for a certain amount of time.

Traveling, which is, of course, teleporting, IS possible, but I have heard that it takes a lot of time programming, but the only future problem i see is appearing in a wall or someething which will cause you to be stuck for infinitaly. :P teleporting is hard.

Your characters alignment I am not sure of. I think you're character will automatically be on the Light side.

*Note, confirmed cities include Tear, Caemlyn, Two Rivers, and Shayol Ghul. More to come

It hass always been my hope for channeling to include weaves. Hopefully later I will be able to include that. For now it would be basic spells. )= Like Fireballs and Waterballs etc. I know for a fact if i ever release a disc-based version of the game, it WILL include weaving while channeling. But that is a long, long way away... :P

But I am not sure if I should include Illian in the world. That city would probably either would have the most detail of all and might slow the game down a lot, or have around the same detail as every other city and not show its full glory. Any help?

Ive explored the idea of a WoT mmorpg, but it was entirely channeling based since A) there is so much diversity amongst channelers, and B)other classes would pale in comparison.

I considered gender obviously but the the starting attributes are their strength in the specific portions of the power (ie earth fire wind water and spirit)

male starting

E 2

F 2

Wi 1

Wa 1

S 2

female

E 1

F 1

Wi 2

Wa 2

S 2

or something like that, and then a few points to distribute. 

The weaves you can learn a partly based on how strong you are in the specific powers, and what your ajah is.  maybe throw in some background traits and allow the player to choose a starting weave...the one they would have come up with as a child (ie moraines eavesdropping weave) based on their background.  maybe the 'selfish daddy's girl' knows a weak form of compulsion.

Having everyone be a Light sided character at the start is a great marketing idea, because later you can release the expansion pack 'Black Ahja' (however its bloody spelled.)

Perhaps Asha'man level up faster since they 'force' ... is that what Suian called it? but obviously have to deal with the taint...perhaps Black Tower is an additional expansion.  or maybe not *shrug*  not that it matters to me since I'll be AS since female models always look better than male ones in every mmo.  plus I'm lonely.  =[

A TG event once per week, or maybe month for all characters over a certain level or have completed x number of quests.  something like that.

I'd really like to see an algorithm where you can, say, '2 units of fire, 1 earth, 3 spirit, and 1 wind' and something happens  If youve hit on some weave coded into the game and have enough strength to handle the weave you learn it, if not...bad things.  Else you create a new weave of some sort.  ex. that minor compulsion i mentioned earlier, perhaps it requires 1 air 1 wind and 2 spirit.  and maybe there is a weave that amplifies things, one you might use on a wood burning fire to make it into a bigger fire, for a poor example.  Choosing the "create weave" button (as opposed to selecting a known one from your "spell book") and adding the minor compulsion to this amp weave = actual compulsion.  Did that make any sense?

I havent coded in ages, and was never good enough at it to make it into a living, but I have wild ideas and an overactive imagination, so feel free to use any ideas i provide here, and ask me questions and the such.  And consider me signed up for the alpha and beta tests if those occur...If it pleases the light.  If I think of anything else regarding this topic I'll be sure to post it.

BTW The title is perfect.

I also thought that perhaps there could be 'styles of weaving' that would modify the weave beyond the amount of each power you use.  'weaving' a single thread of fire could result in a flame like that of a bic liter, but if you were to spiral the thread you might get something like a torch lighter effect.  I also thought that there may be levels of these effects.  if you were to take that spiraled thread and treat it as if it were the original 'straight' thread, and then spiral it on top of itself the resulting effect would significantly different that it was in the first instance.

Diversity is what would keep me playing any game, sadly to say.  And yes I do realize how incredibly difficult coding these ideas would be.  But hey, I'm a dreamer not a coder.  I'm Gene Roddenberry not Adam Jones.

Coolio on adding SL.  Is there going to be time in the game?  where being in SL when night falls can result into quite the sticky situation?

Good Luck and may the Light shine on you and your creation.

If anyone wants to join my group who is making the game, and other projects (like expansions or new games etc) send me a message titled 'Green Shield Productions' which is, obviously, the name of the group. Anyone who is in my group gets more access in the game than other players. Only 3 more people can be in my group though. So if you want to, hurry up and message me!

Archived