DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Running from the Past, ATTN: Nynaeve

Sylvirci

Valynt woke with a start the morning after leaving Chachin. He was in a thicket and looking around in growing alarm until he saw the wolves. Reaching for his knife he paused as images flashed through his mind. They were of the day before as he rushed blindly away from the hunters and guards of Chachin. Then everything came back to him and he sat there rocking back and forth while he tried not to cry. He had lost everything, the last of his family, the girl of his dreams and a home!

Then he vaguely remembered that the wolves had helped him escape. They had watched over him as he ran and showed him this place so he could hide. He was somewhere on the Eastern edge of the Black Hills near the Northernmost river head. Gathering himself and fighting an internal war against being hateful to those who had turned on him, he turned his attention towards the wolves and when one that looked stronger then the rest approached he bowed his head.

Images flashed in his mind as he spoke but he didn't know what it meant, only that they came from him. He spoke aloud but softly to the wolf, " Thank you very much for helping me! I am forever in your debt, and I don't know if you can understand me but you have only to call and I will come to your aid." That said he crawled out of the thicket.

Making his way to the river he drank and refilled a wineskin with water. Then he turned South and staying in the Black Hills, started walking. He had no idea where to go or what to do. He only knew his eyes were yellow and that most would never accept him in a city again. Not that he had ever really been a city boy anyway, but alone in the land was not what he wanted in life either. So he walked with no clear goal in mind and anger lurking deep in his heart.

Valynt "Silverstreak" Nororama, Wolfkin Pup

• 2 weeks later...

Winifred groomed Mightnight's fur, removing dry leaves and little insects that seemed to have been residing him lately.

~ If anyone ever learns of this, I'm going to be forever mocked ~

Winifred smiled.  ~ I won't tell ~

Midnight sighed heavily and slumped on the ground. Winifred held back a snicker. She knew Midnight enjoyed the occasional grooming but he seemed to be flawed in the very same way most humans were. He was too proud. A nasty habit Winifred had hoped to rid him of one day.

~ He's nearby~

Winifred nodded. "I know, Mid, I know." She raised  her eyes to the sky. She had decided to approach the young man by morning. Less chance of him getting the wrong idea. There was bound to be confusion, doubts and hesitations, and so she didn't want to add to that by catching him off guard and getting him on the defense, making her task twice as hard.

Winifred curled Midnight's fur around her finger as she pondered. Mightnight was already fast asleep when she curled down next to him. But sleep never came. Evading her as always.

*************************************************************************************

Winifred nodded her head and in a space of a moment, Nightfall disappeared. She didn't want to startle and a woman alone in the woods seemed less frightening than a woman in the woods with a big black wolf. No matter how beautiful the woman was, Winifred mused as she smiled to herself.

When she finally spotted the young man, she approached him cautiously. "Beautiful morning, don't you think?".

Winifred

Head Tracker

• 2 weeks later...

It was just after the sun had fully risen. He had no idea of how far towards the South he had walked and no idea where to go. All he knew about the South was that they were less likely to be afraid since they didn't believe in Trollocs and other servants of the Foul One.

Moving quietly but steadily he was surprised to hear a female voice. He nearly jumped straight up before spinning around and drawing his knife. No one had been able to sneak up on him in a long time and it bothered him greatly.

Looking carefully he saw a woman but the sun was behind her making it hard to see her face or much more then a siluoette. Crouching a little, he asked, " Who are you and what do you want? Oh, and come stand over here. The sun makes it hard to see you clearly." He looked quickly for the wolves but none were to be found. Either she is no danger or they hadn't followed me thus far. Then he waited for her to answer him and move to where he could get a better look at her.

Valynt "Silverstreak" Nororama, Wolfkin Pup

"Who are you and what do you want? Oh, and come stand over here. The sun makes it hard to see you clearly."

Winifred smiled. "See, there is never an easy answer to that, I've learned. I go by the name of Winifred. Some have more colorful names for me, but we shan't talk about that." Winifred winked. "Suffice to say I mean you no harm. You and I... we're not so different." Winifred stepped out of the light and gave the young man a warm smile, as her yellow eyes shone amusingly. Her crimson hair seemed brighter as she approached him, resting loyally on her shoulders.

"What do you want?", the young man asked. Winifred laughed. "I wouldn't say no to a present. Even though it's no where near my birth day. Still, I don't know if our relationship has reached that level quite yet, honey." He looked at her confusingly. Winifred did nothing but smile. Confusion was better than fear.

Winifred sat down crossed leg. "So, what's your story? start with your name.". Winifred hoped he would open up to her. Sometimes it seemed easier to do so with complete strangers. Still, she could sense that the man was still quite guarded. Maybe she should have asked for a pony.

Winifred

Head Tracker