DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

callandor effect

spiressm

Does anyone know if callandor affects both parts of the true source or just saidin?  I know it went crazy for rand when he was fighting the seanchan up in the woods of altara but the book mentions the damane feeling an uneasy feeling as well.

That was the effect on both halves of the OP caused by over stressing the Bowl of the Winds which did use both.  Had nothing to do with Callandor itself.

Damane had been 'sick' and unreliable channelers since the weather working.  The Seanchan were very concerned about needing to use them at all.

Callandor only affects Saidin as it's a male sa'angreal.  It's flaw is that it magnifies the taint on Saidin, and (at least according to what Cad said) lacks the buffer than protects you from burning yourself out.  I don't know about that second part just because we know Rand has drawn way more than he can channel unaided through Callandor and he isn't burnt out.  Anyway.....

Bob I think you're confusing two things.  What the OP is referring to is when Rand uses Callandor at the end of the battle with the Seanchan.  The taint magnification of Callandor made him go a little whacky and he started dropping lighting bolts on his own people until Bashere knocked him off his horse.  W?hen Cad tells Rand about Callandor he immediately thinks back to that being the cause of him losing control during the battle.

The Bowl of Winds caused the weirdness of both Saidin and Saidar that made channeling difficult.  It's possible that what he did was a combination of the wildness-inducing Callandor, and the overstressing of the BoW.

Why is this so tough to get?

The effect that Callandor induces is like a drug, as I've said before.  That intoxication can lead to lapses in judgement while Callandor is being used.  Merely having Callandor in the vicinity without using it won't cause those lapses in judgement.

The real irrational thing that Rand did was to keep pressing his attack.  To keep using saidin for anything except to get out of Dodge.  To ignore all advice.  To abandon all rational judgement.

Once he'd already succumbed to his irrational hopes and fears, actually using Callandor only made a bad situation truly tragic.

Why is this so tough to get?

The effect that Callandor induces is like a drug, as I've said before. ...

"Hello kettle my name is pot" (Thanks Luckers for that line...)

And, you're not canon either, Maj.

As I've pointed out before, you are neither the author nor Aes Sedai, so quit acting like you are both.

It isn't. 

If you believe that what I've posted is in error, then demonstrate it via passages from the books.  If you simply don't want to believe I could be right, then simply say so.

What you not anyone else has the right to do is to insist that I'm wrong simply because you don't want to believe me without demonstrating the truth of your statement.

Ok, everyone calm down. Bob, i think what Cloglord was initially having issues with was your comment 'why is this so tough to get'. Followed by a blanket statement, it did sound as if you were laying down the law--something you yelled at Maj for doing. I don't believe he ever stated that you were wrong--just that you weren't proven right as your initial comment implies. Do you see the distinction there?

Back on topic, for myself, i don't even nessasarily believe there is an issue of contention--i think everyone has been saying the same thing in different ways. The taint-magnification effect induces wildness of the mind--that drug-like effect you described. It can only occur when using saidin, not just from it being nearby--but it can be buffered against by having two women in the circle, with one of them leading.

If i've missed some aspect of this conversation, im sorry--but it seems to me that everyones getting riled up by the same thing.

The 'blanket statement' was just a recap of what I'd said earlier in the thread, in a condensed form.  I simply didn't think it was necessary to go into everything I put into the original post all over again.  If cloglord came in late and didn't do his homework, I'm sorry for him.  His own inattention to detail doesn't excuse him for his attitude.

Now, with that off my chest -

I agree with you.  Having Callandor nearby doesn't cause anything.  Using it in unbuffered form causes a kind of intoxication and the lapses in judgement common to intoxication.  And, to reiterate one additional point, Callandor affects only saidin.  It has no effect on saidar.

Again Bob, i don't think anyone had a problem with the 'recap'. It was the 'why is this so tough to get' that was the problem--and i do agree with Cloglord, it crossed a line. Especially given you just attacked Maj for doing the same thing in another thread.

Archived