DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does anyone know?

kleribituc

I never understood Cadsuane's extreme firmness about balefire. Oh, I know it's dangerous, and Rand certainly knows it, but some situations seem to call for it. For instance, if Rand had not balefired those hounds, Mat would most likely have died. I can't think of any other weave that could have saved them. What if such situation arises again?

Well that would sort of be the point wouldn't it--concidering the use of balefire risks the entirety of the Pattern itself, if such a situation arises again than the only decent thing to do would be to let Mat die. Saving one at the expense of everything....

Then again, it Mat dies, rand loses TG. I believe its in TDR a Myrdraal tells Rand the if one of the "legs of the tripod" ie, Rand Mat or Perrin, are cut, then everything fails. So in that instance, saving Mat was saving the Pattern.

Moiraine can manage balefire just fine. She killed Be'lal didn't she? The effects are limited by her strength, but she did it anyway. And Jeanie Caide is quite strong in the Power herself. Furthermore if you are suggesting that it requires Moiraine's strength to at least work, than that rules out every Green except Cadsuane, and she has shown her position on it. "Not ever!" Kind of a pointless secret weave--especially as a forbidden one that might well see them stilled.

But yes, its possible--we have no evidence to sustain it--but its possible.

It seemed to me she barely managed it. She said it only  retroactively removed Be'lal from the pattern one or two seconds. You can't get any weaker than that.

Which does not mean that she barely managed it, it means that the effects of balefire are altered by strength.

And don't make too much of her thought that she could only remove a few seconds--aside from it being an unsubstantiated opinion of a woman whose knowledge of balefire is esoterical--Rand can only remove about ten to fifteen minutes. We know this from the reversal of the darkhounds on Mat's door.

Guest Dreadlord

And don't make too much of her thought that she could only remove a few seconds--aside from it being an unsubstantiated opinion of a woman whose knowledge of balefire is esoterical--Rand can only remove about ten to fifteen minutes. We know this from the reversal of the darkhounds on Mat's door.

UNQUOTE

That isnt accurate. We dont know if Rands balefire undid something else the hounds did that we didnt see, so it isnt right to set a limit on Rands balefire judging only what we saw at that time.

Rand balefired Rahvin and brought Mat, Aviendha and Asmodean back, and they died way before that fight even started. And in my head I saw that fight going on for way more than 15 minutes. Considering that Rand has come a very VERY long way since then, I reckon if he put his full strength into balefire in book 11/12 he could undo something that happened yesterday. Without any angreal

Unsubstantiated- we have no indication that that's anything other than Rand's normal, casual balefire. No sense of strain.

Was that directed at me? I'm not sure I understand if it was--of course it was Rand's normal, casual balefire... why would there be a sense of strain?

That isnt accurate. We dont know if Rands balefire undid something else the hounds did that we didnt see, so it isnt right to set a limit on Rands balefire judging only what we saw at that time.

We do actually, there were still scratches and holes in the door, which means Rand's balefire didn't even remove them back before they before they had attacked the door. At best I would say thats ten minutes given what we've seen of them.

Rand balefired Rahvin and brought Mat, Aviendha and Asmodean back, and they died way before that fight even started. And in my head I saw that fight going on for way more than 15 minutes. Considering that Rand has come a very VERY long way since then, I reckon if he put his full strength into balefire in book 11/12 he could undo something that happened yesterday. Without any angreal

Firstly, part of that fight was in Tel'aran'rhiod, and time is different there--sometimes dramatically so. Of the part in the real world it was a matter of moments. Lightning falls on Mat and Aviendha, Rand screams Rahvin name, leaps through a gateway, turns around and see a Myrdraal, kills it, senses the gateway to TAR, and leaps through.

The rest of that has nothing to support it. If the difference between Rand and Moiraine's strength is the difference from a few seconds to a few minutes, then the increase from that strength to his full strength would add at best a few more minutes. As much as twenty, no more.

Archived