DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bashere's suspicious decision

aevogt

I'm not sure there is ever a scene where Rand tells Bashere specifically that he is going to cleanse saidin.  His intention was widely enough known that all of the Forsaken's spies had reported it.  It was the topic of conversation at their kaffe klatsch in WH.  None of them had taken it very seriously.  It only became a real concern ( panic for some ) when Cyndane revealed that Rand had the access keys and so would be certain to attempt it.  If their spies knew, it's virtually certain Bashere knew.

I'm not touching the Bashere stuff or your analysis. It's about 2/3 of the way through APoD, and should be pretty straightforward ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, I still say that Sashelle and the other Aes Sedai weren't the ones holding the Warders in Cairhien.  The sisters are subject to the Wise Ones as their apprentices, though of course that doesn't include Samitsu, and they're unclear about what relationship is going on between the WO's and the formerly stilled sisters, though it seems they were making them "apprentices" of some sort just to keep them alive.  I don't believe the WO's would have cared much about Samitsu being left in charge (even by Cadsuane whom they respect) because they still don't care too much about Aes Sedai.  Since the sisters were being kept by the WO's, it seems likely that the Warders were also being kept by the WO's.  After all why would Rand leave 'prisoners' in the care of other prisoners, if albeit ones who swore to him.... still he doesn't entirely trust them despite their oaths.

Yes Samitsu was left in charge by Cadsuane, however it's quite clear from her POV in KoD that she very much feels that Sashelle has completely taken over.

Again from what the text says we know of three (maybe four) times Rand talked about cleansing the source.  Once was with the Aelfinn in the Tear doorway, Twice was when he said it to Taim, Three times was when he told everyone after leaving Far Madding and the maybe fourth time was I think he discussed it with Herid Fel though I can't remember Rand's comment about his discussions with Fel off hand.  Anything beyond that (i.e. him talking it over with Bashere) is only supported by us having no proof that it didn't happen... which isn't proof that it did happen either.  As to all the Forsaken knowing about his intentions I believe we don't have to assume that Bashere knew just because the Forsaken's spies found out.  Rand told Taim and since we can all agree that Taim is a DF he told the Forsaken (either through Dashiva/Osangar or through other channels)...... where does Bashere come into that circle?

Archived