DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time screenplay

Jonn

Whether or not the Wheel of Time gets made into a movie or television series or something in between, I think a lot of us can agree that we'd be very interested in seeing how the writing is handled in adaptation.

Just for fun I've been writing out notes and breakdowns of what I would like to see in either a movie or a series on television.

I found that I like to change things a bit to try to fit more into an hour, or 13 hours. Some things get more elaborate, while other things I drop completely.

I guess I'm wondering what are the things that you would want to focus on if you were writing the screenplay for a movie or a television series.

What goes in, what gets cut? It's a delicate process because fans want one thing, but time can't always allow for everything.

Also, I'd like to see if people have been writing their own versions. I've been working on Eye of the World for a while now. I've been going off of notes and drafts, so it's kind of loose, not a slave to the text.

Feel free to share your own interpretations of scenes, if that's allowed here.

Here's a sample of some of my stuff. You can let me know what you think:

EGWENE

Rand, you weren’t in on that prank Mat pulled on poor little Ewin, were you?

RAND

What? What prank? I was up at the farm for the last few days. I haven’t been around for whatever Mat’s been up to.

MAT

Hey, I haven’t done anything, that little runt has no proof!

EGWENE

(Looking away pointedly.) I guess you haven’t been around at all really, have you?

RAND

Egwene, I really have been pretty busy at the farm. You know that. I would spend more time here in the village if I could, and-and…I was hoping…I-uh, wanted to…(He looks sidelong at his friends and drops his voice to step closer to Egwene.)

RAND CONT.

What I want to say is, I was hoping we could, you know, dance-uh, you know. Together. For Bel Tine. (A look of horror crosses his face that says what he meant to say sounded much smoother to him when he was practicing it earlier in the morning. The other two seem uncomfortable and entertained all the same at Rand‘s stumbling and walk a few paces so that the two can be “alone“.)

EGWENE

Of course I’ll dance with you Rand, it’s just…I think that maybe I might want to dance with some of the other boys as well tomorrow. You can dance with some of the other girls.

RAND

(Frustrated.) I thought we were getting on fine Egwene. I mean, yes, I should spend more time with you if we’re courting, but-

EGWENE

Rand. Rand, I just don’t know if I’m ready to court with anybody right now. I’m 16, you’re 18. I’m just barely getting used to having my hair in a braid.

RAND

(Startled to notice that Egwene does have her hair in a braid.) Oh! Oh. So, the Women’s Circle…

EGWENE

Two days ago. I AM a woman Rand. I won’t be treated like a girl anymore. Nynaeve says I can be a Wisdom one day. Maybe in some other village. It may not be here in the Two Rivers.

RAND

Oh, like where? (He didn’t mean to make it sound harsh, but it does.)

EGWENE

Who knows? Maybe far away.

RAND

Egwene, what do you want me to say? I just wanted to dance with you for Bel Tine. I was trying to be nice, I always try to be nice, but you always make it out like I’m trying to hurt you or something. Now, all of this about getting your hair braided and you being a Wisdom out in Light knows where? What do you want?

EGWENE

(Looks as if she’s about to blow up, but her expression changes as if she has him right where she wants him.) You’re acting foolish, you know that? You’re trying to be nice? How nice is it to walk into my father’s inn, eat my mother’s food, and not even come around to say hello to me? I had to hear it from Nynaeve that you had even come into the village.

RAND

I was going to, but I had to unload the-

EGWENE

You were going to. You are always about to, going to, meaning to do this or that Rand. That’s all anyone ever does here. They mean to do these great things and then end up just settling for a dance and a story about far away places.

RAND

What are you talking about? I forgot to say hello, so now everyone in the village is a loafer? What’s your father say about that? He’s the Mayor after all.

EGWENE

Oh! You’re worse than Mat! At least you can tell what he’s up to, what he’s thinking about most of the time, trouble!

MAT

Thanks Egwene.

EGWENE

(She rounds on MAT and PERRIN and settles a hard stare on the latter. Perrin shifts uneasily.) And you, Perrin Aybarra, I wonder why you even hang around with these two smart-mouthed-BOYS!

PERRIN

(Hands raised plaintively.) Now Egwene I-

EGWENE

(She flips her braid over her shoulder.)

Don’t bother Perrin. I don’t expect you to defend these two. Rand, if you mean to say goodbye, I’ll be back at the Winespring.

(She turns suddenly to stalk away and nearly runs right into the back of a MAN who is standing behind her looking back towards the Inn. She squeaks as the man suddenly darts to the side and turns about. His face is covered with a dark colored hood and the boys give a bit of a start as well.)

MAN

Goodness! What is it about these little places? Everyone is scampering about this way and that, hardly giving a gleeman like myself a chance to even introduce himself to the people.

(He removes the hood from his head and settles it on his shoulders. The boys suddenly seem relieved to see that it‘s a fairly tall if slouchy older gentleman with long white mustaches and a fairly spry build for a man about 60.)

MAN CONT.

I really couldn’t help but overhear your conversation, but let me ask you this, my fine young people; Is it customary for every young lady to browbeat the men in this village?

EGWENE

I beg you pardon Master-

THOM

Thom Merrilin at your service, young lady. You see the reason I ask is because I simply wanted to know whom do I speak to about demonstrating my artistry in this place. Someone pointed me to a young lady who was referred to me as a Wisdom or some such. She rather shortly accosted me with some business about Women and circles and Councils and after tugging on that braid of hers as you were doing just a moment ago, she finally told me to seek out the Mayor, who I come to find is actually the same fellow who runs that inn I was forced to take refuge in last night. Imagine that. Same fellow who threatened to leave me out in the pitch of dark with the wolves, claiming I was banging too loud on his door. Me a gleeman, the finest you can find in all the great cities of the world, subject to the mercy of a pack of howling beasts and a groggy innkeeper! Luckily your Mayor has more mercy than animals or the biting wind on these footpaths you folk pass off as roads.

(All the young people just stare for a beat)

THOM CONT.

What, what’s wrong now?

EGWENE

Did you say-

MAT

You’re a gleeman? Where’s your cloak?

(Egwene and the two boys give him a baleful look.)

MAT CONT.

A gleeman has a special cloak! Stop staring.

THOM

(Throwing back the darker cloak he was wearing to reveal a patchwork cloak of many colors. Some frayed edges and exaggerated tears in it do not detract from the artfulness of its design. He gives the cloak a fanciful twirl and flourish.)

Is this proof enough lad?

(Suddenly five colored balls leap into the air and so does the older man. He turns a dazzling, twisting somersault in the air, landing soundlessly with his back towards them and the balls land almost miraculously in succession, in the gleeman’s hands  which are held behind his back. He continues to juggle this way as he turns around to face them again leaning towards them with a winning smile. Egwene claps with girlish abandon. Mat and Rand’s jaws have dropped and Perrin laughs openly. Thom continues to speak grandly and even more enticingly and polished than the peddler Fain was moments before. )

I am known in the royal courts from Illian to Caemlyn, Cairhien to Arad Domon. I have dazzled Queens and made Kings slap their thighs with laughter and amazement. Still, no audience is too small nor modest for Thom Merrilin, former Bard, but now-

(He suddenly handsprings tightly away into a flip, launching the balls into the air again, at once. He lands with his arms outstretched elegantly and just as startlingly the balls all explode with a pop and the fragments come down in a rainbow spray of paper bits and wisps of smoke. The young folk all gasp as do some of the people nearby who have just noticed the happenings.)

I enjoy the title of Master Gleeman!

(They all erupt into appreciative applause and Thom bows superbly.)

Thank you all, but please, that was just a taste of what’s to come tomorrow at Festival. I not only please the eye with feats of daring, speed and strength, but I also have tales. I can give you the thrills of heroic battle with Rogosh Eagle-Eye. I’ll send you along the journey of heroes in the Great Hunt of the Horn. We’ll hear the wondrous tales of love and devotion with the warriors Gaidal Cain and Birgitte Silverbow. I’ll give you the exploits of Artur Hawkwing himself.

EGWENE

What about Mosk and Merc and how they battled in the sky with great lances of fire? Or how about Elsbet, and was she really Queen of the whole world?

THOM

My, old tales those. Surprising to hear a request for those outside of a Royal library.

RAND

What about…fades and Aes Sedai.

MAT

What about the false Dragons? What do you know about them?

EGWENE

You’ll have to excuse them. A peddler came in just now and he had the whole village in an uproar over this Logain and Taim battling Aes Sedai and trollocs.

RAND

The peddler said nothing about trollocs Egwene.

EGWENE

(Ignoring Rand.) Is it true that Aes Sedai can cure the sick and bring the dead back to life?

MAT

Leave the man alone with that Egwene, everyone knows the Aes Sedai are almost as bad as villains in all the stories.

EGWENE

Aes Sedai are not always bad Mat.

THOM

Well, a wise man knows that it’s best not to cross paths with Aes Sedai if you can help it. If you ever do, it’s best not to speak ill of them. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must find someone who can fix a meal for me or at least can allow me into the kitchen of the inn. I thought it rude to simply walk in before I tried to find the cook or the innkeeper. That young Wisdom told me they were off at some meetings or something of that sort.

EGWENE

Oh! I can show you in Master Merrilin. I am their daughter-

THOM

Egwene, yes, I got that.

RAND

I’m Rand.

THOM

A pleasure Rand. Rather distinct look about you lad. You remind me…well, we’ll talk later perhaps. With your height perhaps you can help me with an acrobatic display I’d like to show here tomorrow.

RAND

Of course! I’ll be here tomorrow. Whenever you need me.

THOM

And you my lad, Light, you’ve a bit of strength in those shoulder I imagine.

PERRIN

Perrin Aybarra, blacksmith’s apprentice, Master Merrilin.

THOM

Please, call me Thom. I’ve a use for someone of strength in my act. You’ll do. What if I told you that I could stand in front of you and if you tried to pick me up, you wouldn’t be able to move me an inch from the ground. No-no, not just yet lad. We must save it for the show tomorrow! And you are Mat if I heard the young lady correctly.

MAT

That’s not all I am if you listen to her long enough.

THOM

Well, I may just have a use for you in my show, if you are inclined to assist me.

MAT

Sure. I’d be happy to help you out.

THOM

Indeed! Well, young lady, lead away, young men, until tomorrow. (A grand bow.)

(Egwene smiles warmly at the gleeman and affects to ignore Rand the others. She and Thom leave to go to the inn.)

MAT

The peddler and a gleeman! This will be the most fun we’ve had at Bel Tine ever.

Hmm, 40 views and no opinions?

Come on guys. You can say it sucks if you like. I'm thick skinned about my creative endeavors, even if it is an adaptation. This is draft two of four and counting. Like I said, I haven't even gotten out of the Two Rivers yet. This is for fun.

Is it taboo to do this? Just let me know, because I've honestly never seen anyone try, perhaps because it falls under the category of fanfiction?...I assure you this was meant to read like a screenplay and I've no intention of selling it.

I was also seeing if anyone else has attempted any screen writing for the scenes in the book, but not a single nibble. Come on, I know I'm not the only one who thinks like this...am I?

Hmm, still nothing eh? Well, here's a draft of the prologue I worked on. Let me know if you like it, or if you don't. Granted there's a lot of exposition, but I guess that's what the scene's for anyway. Well, uh, enjoy I guess.

Prologue:

A city in ruins. Despite its state, it was clearly once a spectacular place full of palaces and spires, domes and great bridges where vehicles would travel across. The look of the place speaks of fanciful and vibrant environs, but there is sophistication and a somewhat “modern” feel to the place. Pan into a large palace. The rubble strewn about shifts as an aftershock shakes the building. There are dead bodies in the hallways, women and men engulfed in molten stone and buried beneath rubble. ELAN MORIN TEDRONAI walks calmly through the halls and finds a man, striking in features, tall and strong. LEWS THERIN TELAMON’S fine clothes are dirty though, and his hair somewhat disheveled. He is humming.

LEWS THERIN

Ilyena? Our guests will be here soon.

(He is addressing a mirror. Tedronai appears behind him in

The reflection.)       

Ah, a guest! You’re a mite early aren‘t you?...Ilyena! Light of  Creation, I am sorry, friend. My wife is better at greeting people, mostly because she’s usually on hand before I even get to see them…

( He looks about expectantly. Elan shakes his head in distaste 

And an air of disappointment.)                                                               

Ilyena…Come greet our friend, darling. Bring the children!

TEDRONAI

It is quite sad, isn’t it, Lews Therin? You, who thought yourself a great man. All those fools who helped you to believe it. You held the 9 Rods of Dominion, wore the Ring of Tamyrlin. Now your house is in ruins, and everything you built is destroyed.

LEWS THERIN

(A frozen smile settles on Lews’ face as if something about the other man’s voice bothers him, but he willfully holds fast to his delusions.)

My friend, you must be hungry. Please, let’s not be cross. Today we celebrate. There will be singing.

(turns to call again)

Ilyena, Where are you?

TEDRONAI

You truly have forgotten it all haven’t you? A pity none of your “Sisters” are here to Heal you, that is if you wouldn’t kill them on sight. My powers are somewhat different from theirs, powers granted to me by Shai’tan. It is through him that I shall relieve you of your illusions.

LEWS THERIN

Don’t speak that name! The Dark One is defeated!

( A terrible intensity comes upon Lews Therin’s face, and in a flicker of an eyelash, the fog creeps back in.)

(LEWS THERIN CONT’D)

We defeated him…And we shall celebrate…

(Lews Therin places a reassuring hand on Tedronai’s shoulder. Tedronai winces for a flash of a moment but then smiles derisively.)

TEDRONAI

Be healed Lews Therin.

(TEDRONAI takes LEWS THERIN’S head in his hands and LEWS THERIN screams. The palace shakes violently. He is released. LEWS THERIN stumbles bonelessly, but suddenly he is alert, though he gasps for air as if just emerging from the point of near drowning. His eyes adjust on the ruins around him and finally his look settles on the other man.)

LEWS THERIN

You!

(He raises his hand as if to choke TEDRONAI, a light appears around him and TEDRONAI goes stiff for a moment, small trickle of blood drips down his lip from his right nostril. Just as abruptly, TEDRONAI waves his hand and the light around LEWS THERIN flickers, making him grunt, but he seems to recover and the light around him surges.)

TEDRONAI

Hold Lews Therin! It is no use to fight this way. You have lost. All that you loved is gone. We have won, and now you must understand that.

(A darkness seems to emanate from TEDRONAI briefly and again LEWS THERIN grunts as if he were being shoved back, but he stands his ground. He looks around at the ruins of his palace.)

LEWS THERIN

Enough! What have you done now Betrayer!? What have you done to-

(An aftershock interrupts them and they both struggle to keep their feet. A picture on the wall nearby falls. It depicts a beautiful woman and it lands face up in the dust and rubble, seeming to stare at the two men.)

(LEWS THERIN CONT’D)

…Ilyena?

(He looks around agitated but confused. A woman is sprawled on the floor in the corner, motionless and staring. Two young children lay with her, also still. Lews takes a half lunge towards them, but falls instead clawing at his coat as if stricken by an oppressive heat.)

Oh Light, please…no…

(He collapses face to the floor and sobs come out guttural and full of despair)

You bloody…

( LEWS THERIN CONT’D)

(His head comes up, face full of hatred.)

I’ll see you burn Elan!

Again LEWS THERIN raises his hand and a glow emanates from his fingertips as if made of heated metal. A terrible look on his face almost makes Tedronai step back.

TEDRONAI

(A little cautiously.)

Much as I would have liked to have caused this suffering directly, I am not the one who should burn for it Lews Therin. You know I am not the one who has done this. You remember. Remember, you fool! Remember “Dragon”!

Something flashes in LEWS THERIN’s eyes. Flashes to a series of images: great armies fighting. A beautiful dark haired woman peering over her shoulder. A great hall full of women, stone-faced facing him as if passing judgment. LEWS THERIN on a Black slope surrounded by Light. Monsters in massive waves being blown apart by lightning and flame. LEWS THERIN on the march with soldiers a Banner flaring behind. A sinuous figure in red. “The Dragon.“ TEDRONAI facing him on black slopes surrounded by armored humans who are attacking him. With a look of fury on his face he is ignoring them as they are torn to shreds by an invisible force. Flash back to the palace and the same look is on TEDRONAI’S face.

TEDRONAI

“Betrayer of Hope” they have named me, yet I shall make them all worship that name. “Kinslayer” is the name they will call you, and the Ages shall despair the memory of the man who bore it!

(Flash scene to ILYENA pleading with a man off-screen.  She’s shielding two children behind her.)

ILYENA

(In tears as she backs into a corner)

Please, my love…Please remember!

(A dark, finely woven cloak can be seen on a man stalking her. A light engulfs her and the children. LEWS THERIN stands over her, pale with a dead look in his eyes.)

LEWS THERIN

Forgive me.

(Back, LEWS THERIN is now looking in the mirror again. A gate of light opens in its place and he walks through it.)

TEDRONAI

Wait Lews Therin! The Great Lord can give it all back to you! Wait you bloody fool!

(ELAN MORIN TEDRONAI’S shouts fade as if spoken down a long cavern, and the Gateway snaps shut. LEWS THERIN steps out onto a plain with storm clouds blackening the sky. A great river runs in the distance, but otherwise all around him seems desolate and devoid of life. Full shot of LEWS THERIN standing, his clothes filthy and his is an expression of an utterly ruined man. No light will touch him, and hope seems blown away like smoke from a snuffed out candle.)

LEWS THERIN

All gone. I have lost. But how can it be like…like this?

(His face crumples as if his sobbing would start again, but then he seems to realize that there are no tears left in him. Not even that comfort is left to him.)

LEWS THERIN CONT’D

No…It can’t end like this. I AM LORD OF THE MORNING!

(A glow begins to emanate from his body. Lightning clashes in jagged bolts very close overhead. Close in on the face of a man who is lost. The rumble of something monstrous drowns out all sound as if the earth itself were echoing with rage and loss. A groaning as if the sky and the bedrock were collapsing against one another in an avalanche. The sound cuts to silence suddenly and LEWS THERIN’S voice can be heard in a whisper.)

LEWS THERIN

I am nothing without you Ilyena.

(The sound comes back roaring in. A great bar of light appears from the sky and lightning strikes all around him and his face is still. The bolts begin to sustain around him touching the ground, more joining and spinning like a tornado made of electricity. In the middle LEWS THERIN glows brighter. The great bar of light grows larger and larger above him  slowly coming closer to the ground like the great finger of a god pointing towards him from heaven. The ground begins to split and the winds howl, everything seeming to shake apart under the storm of light and Lews stands at its heart.  Finally a huge beam forms and touches down and there is no sound, just destruction. LEWS THERIN lifts his hands to the sky. He whispers into the silence. )

LEWS THERIN

Ilyena…forgive me, my love. Light, please forgive me.

(The light finally swallows him. Cut to another Gateway opening some distance from the great explosion. TEDRONAI stands on the other side of the great river seen from before, and witnesses as the earth is rent apart and a violent eruption of earth and molten stone and metal spews out of the ground, reaching higher and higher as a mountain taller than any mountain ever seen emerges where LEWS THERIN once stood.)

TEDRONAI

Idiot. You think you can escape, Dragon? So be it. An Age will begin anew and I shall meet you at the end. Twill be as always and again and again so long as we turn with the Wheel of Time.

(The shadow that flashed around ELAN MORIN TEDRONAI from before suddenly covers him like a nimbus, a halo of darkness. And then he disappears like an image shimmering in the desert horizon, just as the backlash of the explosion gusts through the scene.)

Its ok... and I've thought of stuff like that but not in that much depth... I think you shouldn't think of doing something with the same characters though... maybe the same timeline and explore characters that don't get much background... thats not many but still. Also I think it was ok and you should do what you want.

Its ok... and I've thought of stuff like that but not in that much depth... I think you shouldn't think of doing something with the same characters though... maybe the same timeline and explore characters that don't get much background... thats not many but still. Also I think it was ok and you should do what you want.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I have thought of writing a screenplay that was off the main storyline, but in the end I was like...uh, that's kind of counter to the whole idea of putting the Wheel of Time on screen. I want to see the books acted out on screen, not something I made up based on the books.

At the same time I didn't want to recreate the books word for word, scene for scene down to punctuation. I wanted to be faithful to the story, but also be individual about how I would see the scenes unfold on the screen.

Here I've changed that words used in the book and I've tried to be cinematic about how shots would look. In a film you have to be somewhat expository, and I did try to limit that, but it's difficult.

Again, thinks for the reply, but you said it was "ok".

You can tell me what you like or didn't like in particular. The wording? The dialogue?

ok, usually implies that you thought it was ok...BUT, not great or anything.

Which is cool. It's hard to even match the original text, but when you film something you have to SHOW things. You can give only so much direction and you really can't broadcast what people are thinking except through action and dialogue. You can describe the action and attach an emotion to the dialogue, but there's no inner monologue. I tend to not like narration during a movie either.

Thanks a lot though! ok is better than the silence any day. Least I know what you're thinking and that you actually read it.

I think it's pretty cool. I really don't get to the theatre, but I would hope that if there ever was a movie or play about the Wheel of Time that I would like someone who loves the books to do it, instead of somebody in it for money/glory. I liked the first part because it involved more characters and I really liked Thom and how his actions and acrobatics impressed the 'kids'. When you get to the fight with the Trollocs, Rand and Tam, I would like to read that! Good luck and keep going!

personally i don't want a wheel of time movie, it would only make me cry at the slaughtering Hollywood would do, but i like this very much. keep up the good work, and maybe ill change my opinion on the WoT movie. Cause if a movie ever was made it would have to be a fan and someone extremely knowledgeable to do it right and do justice to the books.  :P

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

You know, this is a huge HUGE concept. I've come to accept that a movie wouldn't do it justice. The only form I can think of that would work would be in a big miniseries format to cover each book.

I'm thinking the first book, Eye of the World should have a season to itself. Probably the last book as well. The other books could be done in 5-7 hours each...If you're looking at a 13 episode season, you could probably fit two books into one season in the meantime.

The period between crown of swords to Crossroads of Twilight could be condensed as we can agree that many of the arcs sort of stretched out in these books and a lot of character things were in those. I love character moments, but cinematically, you can triage what you want and what you NEED.

That said, I don't think one writer can do this by his or herself.

I have been enlisting some help lately from a friend of mine who does write constantly. He's written three original transcripts of his own work, he's had short stories published in journals and such, but he's a teacher by profession. He's kind of unpredictably modest when it comes to ambition, but he's notably prolific. Technically, he's superb. So a little structure from him would help I imagine.

I've just got him to read the first two books and he likes them. It'd be nice to see what his take on a screenplay would be, seeing as he's relatively fresh.

This is why I have submitted this topic. I want to know in detail what people think NEEDS to be in a script and counter or concurrent with that...what do you want to see in the screenplay?

Ever want to tweak something? If so, what? What things do you think would work and what not?

Thanks again. I'll try to pick something out and post it up later.

The best route would ultimately IMO would be an anime/animated series because of length and aging of actors and everything that goes with a project this huge. but if not a tv miniseries would do way better than a movie only if it was done the right way. I think it would have to meet some requirements first:

-it has to be a major channel to play it, specifically a movie channel like HBO, or Encore.

-it should start with one book one season, with 24 episodes. (later books could be meshed together because of the increase in PoV's and to be able to continue the story arc in a cohesive manner.)

-all unknown actors for the main two rivers click. so that way we dont bring a actor who is known for other roles to this project. when i see the actor who plays Rand i want to always see Rand and not another character he played in another movie. i.e. when i see tobey maguire i think spidey. i cant see him as anything else. 

-the biggest requirement...keep EVERYTHING FROM THE STORY! no cutting secondary characters because as we all know they all have a part to play in this story. Can you imagine if some screenwriter who wasnt hard core with this series went to make a screenplay and left out/ rewrote the part for say elyas machera, or Tallanvor to only get to later books and realize that you need him for the main story? that would suck.

Overall this story no matter what form of media its made for needs to keep what the books have and thats  HEART. it has alot of heart and beauty and soul to it, and even if it was a great success, and made lots of money and fame but left out the SOUL of the books it would be a disappointment to the fans. And i think everyone would agree that that would be the greatest tragedy.     

I totally agree with you about the actors being unknowns for the major parts.

I'll tell you why: If you cast major names in the project, they'll be locked up in contract for the series for years, if it gets good purchase on the channel it airs on.

You'll have major issues with scheduling, not to mention the negotiations for actors salary.

I would ideally pick HBO to take the reins on this project because they have built up a reputation for putting quality on the screen and they take chances.

Someone mentioned Carnivale. Deadwood was a great concept piece. I am a huge fan of the Wire. That show read like a novel and it's one of the reasons why I believe a live series could work. HBO would be taking a huge risk though. When they do huge productions like John Adams which is currently on, they generally adapt material into a show aimed at a more mature audience. They might look at a fantasy epic as much of the rest of the industry does, as being for kids. I think you could sell wheel of time though because of its dark themes, it's realism and the violence. That's the holy trinity for HBO if you ask me. You show them the parts where Rand develops a polygamous relationship, holy crap, they're going to lap it up. They already have a series about that.

I actually think that you don't need that many episodes to do book one. You would need a full season to set the table though.

I've been having trouble with certain scenes and some I can't do more than a sketch of what might happen. Some things have to be moved and some condensed, but I generally don't like the idea of cutting anything out really. You just have to be efficient with the screen time.

I'll post the scene up of Rand and Tam on the road to the village. This scene gives me trouble because I'm trying to do a lot here. I want to introduce Rand, the threat of the Shadow, the general state of things...I find that it's a lot of exposition. Let me know what you think.

I agree with you completely and am looking forward to seeing your adaptation of the Quarry Road. Speaking of HBO though, there is a possibility that they might pick up George RR Martin's series, A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't know if you read that series before but its right up HBO's alley. And i believe it would pave the way for The Wheel of Time.

I've written and rewritten this scene several times. Here's the most recent draft. Let me know what you think.

Winternight Episode 1: RAND, a tall, gray-eyed young man with red hair and TAM AL‘THOR, his sturdy, salt-and pepper haired father, travel to EMONDS FIELD from their farm in the Westwood. The road is rocky and the cart rattles with barrels of liquid tied down as the horse, BELA, pulls. TAM leads the horse with one hand his other hand holds a long quarterstaff. RAND casually swings a longbow by his side, his quiver with arrows sit in the cart as he walks beside it. The wind is whipping wildly, flaring the two men’s cloaks about, and when it settles into a sustained gust the older man speaks.

TAM

It should be a nice Bel Tine tomorrow, I reckon.

RAND

Should be. Mat and Perrin say there’s rumors that there will be fireworks this year.

TAM

(chuckles.)

Same rumors as last year. Seems every Winternight, every lad and goosey lass seems to know exactly what the Village Council and the mayor have in store for them for festival.

RAND

Well, is it true then?

TAM

(Somewhat coy.)

That’s some expense to plan for fireworks after the winter we’ve had.

RAND

Well it’d be nice after the long cold. And the wolves running about, the fireworks might spook them out of the region, at least up around the village. You know we could all use a break from all the strange things happening around here. Bad crops and stunted foals and cattle. It can’t be happening just here. I bet it’s the same all over. Maybe even the world. Uh, well that’s what Mat’s been saying. (looks at his father sheepishly)

TAM

(gruffly.)

Let’s speak of it less, lad and you can keep your eye on your side of the road. Winter doesn’t seem to want to end just yet and there’s wolves still about, bold as a gleeman’s cloak.

Rand fiddles with his longbow and has pulled out an arrow which is lazily twirled in his other hand. Rand suddenly sees a strange man on horseback. The man is wearing black and he sits atop a horse dark as midnight. There’s something odd about him, as if you can hear him breathing, snarling behind his cowl which is pulled up to hide his eyes. A pale skinned face shows nose and lips, with a dead tinge to them. Rand’s cloak flaps at his face, and his eyes widen as he realizes; slow motion shot to close-up of leaves whipping around the horse and rider. The horse’s hair flies about as well, but the man’s cloak sits still as if there was no wind. The sounds seems to become muffled except the sound of rasping and teeth gnashing in hate seems to fill Rand’s ears. Spasmodically, the sound intensifies and a close up of the white face is seen from the nose to the chin. The teeth are grinding and the gums are inky and sickly. The teeth seem dry though and the lips are cracked as if they belong on a corpse.  Rand attempts to swing fletching to ear, but in his nervousness he drops the arrow. He scrambles to pick it up and his bow gives the cart a whack, which makes Bela grunt a bit.

TAM

(startled)

What is it, Rand?

(He turns to look about to see what the problem is.)

RAND

(Getting up  to re-nock his arrow, he’s looked away from the rider. He‘s pale and almost out of breath.)

There‘s a-a man.

(He looks up with arrow drawn. The road is empty, just the leaves gusting past.)

(RAND CONT’D)

I-I saw a rider. He was there! He was dressed in black and-and the wind He-I could swear he was there…I had the strangest feeling th-that he hated me.

(The admission seems to have dazed him.) It was like he wanted to kill me…The wind didn’t touch him.

(Shaken, tries to calm down. His face begs Tam to believe him.)

TAM

(Nods seriously showing no skepticism.)

Stay here with Bela and I’ll go look. Whoever he is, he’s got to leave tracks.

(He starts back down the road gripping his staff.)

RAND

(He looks around nervously and can almost seem to hear a faint whisper of the sound of breathing under the wind, and he shivers.)

No pa! Wait!

(He tries to smile.)

It’s all right, I-well, whoever he is, he’s gone. I was probably imagining things. You know, wolves and…Let’s just get to Emond’s Field…please.

TAM

(He walks back looking intently at Rand. The boy is still shaken but is trying to hide it. He takes one more look back over his shoulder. He turns back and leaves what he was about to say unsaid and changes his expression to a reassuring one.)

You’re right. We’ve brandy and cider to deliver to the Winespring.

( He puts a hand on his son’s shoulder.)

You need to draw smoother than that lad, if you think to hit the target.

(He smiles, trying to give a sense of calm and it seems to work.)

Remember how I taught you. The Flame and the Void. Concentrate. Focus your mind into the flame, until there’s-

RAND

(looking intently at his father.)

-until there’s nothingness. The Void. No hate. No fear. No emotion. Let it all burn away until there’s just the flame-

RAND AND TAM

-and the void, and your target.

(Tam pats him on the shoulder and resumes his side of the cart.)

TAM

Good. You’ll win the young men’s archery tournament tomorrow with that technique. I swear by it. Well, let’s get on with it. (TAM is suddenly more intent on searching about their surroundings as the move along. He holds his quarterstaff a little tighter as Rand holds his longbow to his side warily. BELA plods on unconcerned.)

I liked the last two scenes you've shared with us. They stick to the story without sticking to the story, if you catch my drift. The first one, with Rand and the guys and Egwene, I didn't like though. It had too much of the "dysfunctional male/female relationship" in it to suit me. It's just that we see alot of that later in the books, and, IMO, it would be better if that was toned down. I would like to see the scenes in Emonds Field be lighthearted, to act as a contrast to how things are after the attack. I also would love to see Rand act the fool when the peddler arrives,

shouting "LATER, LATER I SAY." into the silence.

If the books get made into a movie, miniseries, or whatever, and it was done by someone like you, who loves the series and wants to show WoT, not an adaptation based on WoT, then I would be very satisfied with the final product. Good work.

I liked the last two scenes you've shared with us. They stick to the story without sticking to the story, if you catch my drift. The first one, with Rand and the guys and Egwene, I didn't like though. It had too much of the "dysfunctional male/female relationship" in it to suit me. It's just that we see alot of that later in the books, and, IMO, it would be better if that was toned down. I would like to see the scenes in Emonds Field be lighthearted, to act as a contrast to how things are after the attack. I also would love to see Rand act the fool when the peddler arrives,

shouting "LATER, LATER I SAY." into the silence.

If the books get made into a movie, miniseries, or whatever, and it was done by someone like you, who loves the series and wants to show WoT, not an adaptation based on WoT, then I would be very satisfied with the final product. Good work.

Thank you very much for your comments. That helps a lot. I did feel that way about the scene with Rand and Egwene. I've been thinking about it and I see your point.

I guess I just wanted to convey that there is a relationship between Egwene and Rand and that it's on the way out. I also wanted to give Egwene a note of...wanting something more. I've always viewed her as an ambitious character, not seeking something more just for selfish reasons, but because hers is an adventurous heart, locked up in the books she reads in her father's small library. In the end she is to me the epitome of Aes Sedai, and I think this is where RJ was going with her. That's the arc I was trying to set up.

I wanted to contrast Rand as someone who is actually pretty content with the life he has, but does recognize that the world is big.

I tried to find more humor with the boys and how they interact, which is actually in the scene I'm about to put up for you all.

Thanks for the note though. I think you may be right, but perhaps you might see the tone of the scene differently when added to the whole of what lead up to it. You basically have Egwene trying to act like a mini Nynaeve, which is kind of funny to me. We'll see if you like it more.

thanks again

Jon

Winternight: Intro to Emond’s Field. Tam and Rand arrive in town, and some of the women greet Rand and Tam warmly. The village is moderately sized. The main street is lined with thatch-roofed houses. The two men are headed towards the center of the village called The Green. A small spring is situated there and nearby is the biggest building in the village, the inn.

TAM

Keep moving lad. One stop and we’ll have every goodwife in the village chatting us up about their available sisters-in-law, stuffing us full of cake till we burst.

RAND

That doesn’t sound too bad. I am kind of hungry.

(With a mischievous smile.)

Mistress Ayellin’s sister is a nice woman, and she’s not a bad cook. She’s been widowed for a few years now pa.

TAM

(Clears his throat pointedly.)

They’re probably just buttering you up son. You know, you’re just about coming of age now. Fact is, every woman in the Women’s Circle has their eye on you, looking to marry off daughters all over Emond’s Field.

It was Rand’s turn to retreat. He puts his longbow away in the cart a bit too intent on placing it steadily.

TAM

Not surprising. You’ve more the look of your mother than of me. When I brought Kari to the Two River’s for the first time…She was the talk of the whole region. So very beautiful…yes she was.

(A wistful smile as he looks ahead, still walking.)

Rand smiles in recognition of his father’s oldest ploy to change the subject of his widowhood.

They arrive at the inn. The MAYOR, who also owns the inn, and his wife greet the two. The mayor is expecting them, but at first seems to be touching up a spot on the glass of one of his windows. He seems to have spotted them in the reflection of the spotless glass. The mayor is a stout fellow in his middle years. He has an easy smile and manner. He’s the picture of an innkeeper as he stands next to the sign carved in neat letters: “THE WINESPRING INN”.

MAYOR

Hello, Tam!

(Waves the two in)

Rand, my lad!

TAM

(Waving back.) Bran.

RAND

Afternoon Mayor.

A petite woman with a long graying braid draped over her shoulder and a cooking apron comes out of the front door with a smile on her face and flour dusted hands. She has pretty features and few wrinkles despite her middling age.

MAYOR’S WIFE

Oh, wonderful! The cider.

(She smiles as she wipes her hands coming down the front step to meet the two men.)

TAM

(With a smooth smile.)

Morning Marin.

RAND

Good morning Mistress Al’Vere. (With a polite nod as she takes both men by one arm each.)

BRAN

Well, let’s get this cart to the back so we can unload the goods, eh?

MARIN

Not until I can get these boys something to eat, Bran. It must have been freezing out there on the road coming in.

BRAN

Lovely, we’ll have a pipe, you and I, Tam. I’ve a couple of Council matters to discuss with you anyhow. Come, let’s get you some ale. Rand, Marin should have something nice for you to eat.

They all head into the Inn as BELA is lead away with the cart by a groom. TAM and BRAN enter into the COMMON ROOM, which is fairly large with a fireplace and a large table with smaller tables placed around. There is a bar, which has immaculate rows of bottles and glasses. There is a hand pump for the local brews which is used to serve patrons. It is a fine family style pub suited for the a village twice the size of Emonds Field. Mistress al’Vere disappears through a hall that leads to stairs that go up to the inn’s housing rooms. She enters a doorway to the side. Her head pops out again briefly.

MARIN

Rand come on into the kitchen I have some honeycakes and hot cider for you. (She leaves through the door again.

Rand hangs back for a second though to watch the two men light their pipes and begin to talk as they stand near the large table with two mugs of brew next to them. Rand tries to surreptitiously listen in by moving towards one of the tables nearby, which have some books on them. He feigns interest in them in order to catch some of what the men are saying.

TAM

So it’s all set up then?

BRAN

Yes, yes- The rest of the Council has been about it all week quelling suspicions about the f-

(He glances at Rand quickly and then back at Tam)

-the fairground entertainment. We have everything we need stowed away in my cellar and Tad Barstere’s.

TAM

(Grinning wryly.)

Rand, you better take Mistress al’Vere up on those honeycakes while they’re hot. That is, unless you’d rather just get straight to unloading the cart.

RAND

(Thwarted.)

Uh, no, I was just- (Sighs.) I’ll get to the cart right after Pa. (He wanders off towards the kitchen, but tries to listen as he goes without looking like it.)

TAM

I’ll be out back in a little bit and we’ll get started. (He turns back to Bran.) There’s something I need the Council to hear.

BRAN

The Council? Now? Everyone’s preparing for Winternight. Oh, I suppose we can call a quick meeting. You’re heading back to the farm in-

TAM

We’ve time for a couple of hours or so.

BRAN

Well, I’ll have to call the meeting right now then.

Rand comes out of the Winespring Inn, finishing the last of a piece of cake, to find his friends, MAT and PERRIN waiting for him. MAT is a slim young man with dark hair and eyes. His skin is a bit tanned, suggesting his like for fun outdoors. He is wearing a mischievous smile that seems to be his natural expression. He has stocky legs but an overall long build that makes him appear a bit taller than he really is. Perrin stands next to him and is of similar coloring in hair and eye, but his skin is a little lighter. He is notably large and stocky, almost hulking. His expression is one of thoughtful patience.  Tam appears in the doorway of the Inn.)

TAM

Rand, I have business with the Village Council to plan a few things before Festival tomorrow. We’ll head back home in about an hour. We have to get ready for Bel Tine in the morning. (Notes the other two young men.) Perrin, nice to see you lad. Master Luhan give you some time off?

PERRIN

Good to see you too Master Al’Thor. My mother and father told me to say hello if I saw you. And, yes, Master Luhan basically kicked me out of the forge. (He scratches his head pensively.)

TAM

Ah, Harral was telling me you’re a hard worker lad. You need a break. You need time to spend with your family during the holiday. They see too little of you since you’re apprenticed to the blacksmith. Tell your mother I have the apple brandy ready when you see her. Oh, never mind, I’ll talk to your father today about it. Mat. Stay out of trouble lad. (With an even look at Mat he turns back into the Inn.)

MAT

I’ll tell my mother and father you said hello Master Al’Thor.

TAM

(Over his shoulder.)

I’ll be speaking to your father soon Mat, so don’t worry about it.

MAT

(Gives a sarcastic look at Rand who smiles.)

Why is it that when I’m trying to be polite to your father, he makes me feel like I’ve stolen a pie?

PERRIN

Because you steal pies.

MAT

Hey, last time I stole a pie was when we were 13, and from what I remember you and Rand were with me.

PERRIN

That’s cause you told us that your ma wanted us to pick it up from Mistress al’Dai for her.

RAND

(Laughs.) Didn’t stop you from eating some of it with us Perrin.

PERRIN

(Smiles.) Yeah, and I got a belt whipping on my behind for it, and so did you and Mat, Rand.

MAT

Ah, the good old days. Which reminds me, I have to tell you about the trick I pulled on Ewin Fingar.

PERRIN

Light, he’s been talking about this for half an hour and he won’t stop. Ewin’s 12, Mat. You believed in Darkhounds when you were 12 too.

MAT

Oh come off it. It was funny. At least he’s not 18 and talking about seeing Fades all over the place.

PERRIN

I was just saying that he reminded me of the stories about Fades, Mat.

RAND

Wait-wait…Who reminded you of fades?

(The other two look at each other uneasily. Neither one seems to want to speak anymore.)

RAND CONT.

Who reminded you of fades?

MAT

Well, no one. Perrin says he saw-

PERRIN

If you saw him, you would-

RAND

Saw who?

PERRIN

(Slowly, reluctantly.)

A man. A rider. I saw a man outside of the Forge sitting on a horse. That’s all. Mat saw him too, but he acts like-

RAND

What did he look like?

PERRIN

Couldn’t see his face. He was wearing a cloak with his head covered. Something was odd about him. He just seemed…wrong.

MAT

He hates us.

(The other two turn to him suddenly. Mat seems surprised that he spoke about what he apparently wanted to keep as just a thought. He continues hesitantly.)

MAT CONT.

Sam Crawe and me were trying to grab-uh, I mean borrow some flour from Mistress Ahan for- oh it doesn’t matter. Anyway, I saw this-this man, on a horse. It was like I could feel him breathing on me. It was funny. I-I was actually sort of scared of him, and it felt like I knew…He hated me. He hates all of us. Everything. Funny thing to say. It was just a man on a horse, a stranger. Sam said he didn’t see him. Can’t see how he couldn’t have. He was right next to us.

PERRIN

(Interrupting.)

How come you didn’t say any of this before? You let me feel a right fool about seeing this thing and you saw it and felt the same as I did? You said you saw a stranger, that was it. Nothing about you being scared, all this hate wool-headedness.

MAT

See that’s exactly what you would have said to me had I told you. Call me a wool-head. Besides, you said that you probably just imagined all of that “wrong” business. What do I look like if I say I actually saw something you imagined? We both imagined it? The same thing? Blood and ashes.

RAND

I saw it. (Shifts a bit as the two now look at him.) On the Quarry Road, I saw the same man. It must have been the same one.  He scared me worse that I ever been in…a long while. He scared my father as well.

MAT

Your father saw him?

RAND

No. He was there of course, but the rider was gone before he could turn around. He was behind us, the rider, and-It’s just a relief that I’m not crazy. He’s real, whatever he is.

MAT

Either that or we’re all going crazy.

PERRIN

I don’t think so. Not all three of us. There has to be something behind it. We have to tell the Village Council about it.

MAT

So they can think we’re crazy?

RAND

Mat’s right. They’re all busy with Bel Tine anyhow. Pardon my saying, but if Mat is in it, they’ll think we’re just trying  to scare the kids like Ewin Fingar.

PERRIN

You should become a gleeman Mat. Maybe then your stories will be useful. (Sighs.) We have to be able to tell someone, or at least ask someone about this. What about the Wisdom?

MAT

Oh right! Nynaeve’s barely older than us!

PERRIN

She’s still the Wisdom.

MAT

Go to her if you have a fever or if you cracked your skull you lummox. She’ll think that in the first place, if you go running your mouth about fades and dark hounds. She’ll pour some foul potion down your throat. That or she’ll send you out of the Two Rivers with the…(He looks off down the Green) The Peddler!

(The other two look over. A fair sized wagon is pulling up to the center of the Green. In the drivers seat holding the reigns of 4 large horses is a wiry fellow, with a wide smile. He is wearing good wool clothes. At his appearance the three seem to forget what they were just talking about for a moment.)

MAT

Master Fain! Here in time for Bel Tine.

RAND

It’s been a long while since he’s been back.

PERRIN

Maybe he’s bringing in fireworks.

(The three lads look at each other as if agreeing that their conversation about the rider can wait. They all rush over to see the peddler and so are many others in the village.)

PADAN FAIN

(Greeting the oncoming rush warmly, basking in the attention.)

Ah yes-thank you! Wonderful to see you as well-Ah, you look well Tad. Not just yet, my dear, I have a few things to do before I open up. Ahem. Well!

(He now addresses everyone around, which appears to be half the village.)

Good people! I bring news of the outside country!

(Enthusiastic chattering and whispers rise up out of the crowd including from MAT.)

FAIN CONT.

War has come to Lugard and Murandy. A man name of Logain marches to Tear. He claims the title of Dragon and it is said that he can channel the One Power.

Disturbed but excited murmurs rattle through the crowd.

RAND

(Looking concerned but amazed.)

The Dragon.

MAT

(Speaking aloud to the crowd and Fain) Another one? What happened to that Taheed-Tayain-uh…fella? I thought he was the False Dragon.

FAIN

(Good-naturedly.)

Ta-eem. (Over-pronouncing in correction. He waves a hand in derision.)

He’s old news. Captured by the Aes Sedai quite a while ago. I’m surprised the news of it didn’t reach even here. There was a terrible battle! The Northern armies and the White Tower forces were pitted against thousands of Dragon-sworn.! Fire and lightning flying about!

(He gestures grandly. The crowd gasps and exclaims at his demonstration.)

The very earth beneath men’s feet fell away and swallowed whole legions! (More gasps and people chattering.)

Yet the Aes Sedai defeated Taim. Word is that he escaped though! Last I heard, the great General Bashere of Saldea was chasing him across the Borderlands.

MAT

(Turning to Perrin and Rand.)

Aes Sedai and False Dragons? That’s like monsters fighting monsters.

FAIN

(Overhearing Mat’s comment.) That’s not the half of it young man. Logain is said to be even worse than Taim and he has twice as many followers. Word has come that he defeated the Aes Sedai and their warders and soldiers some leagues south of here in Ghealdan.

(A worried rumble buzzes through the crowd now. Someone says aloud: “Someone should warn the folks down in Deven Ride.” another: “Taim up north and this Logain in the south, what are we going to do?”)

PERRIN

(To Rand and Mat.)

Not for us to worry about. It’s old news, right? Nothing happens in the Two Rivers.

(He looks at Rand who gives him a meaningful look, and he seems to remember their stranger in black and falls silent again.)

FAIN CONT.

Fear not, my friends! The troubles are far from you at the moment and even as we speak I have been told that Logain is moving south and east to try to conquer the impenetrable fortress, the Stone of Tear. There is no need to cause a panic.

WOMAN

Of course not! (The woman’s voice is high, that of a young woman, maybe even girlish, but the crowd recognizes that voice and quiets almost immediately and starts to disperse. Only the three boys remain and a few more linger nearby ready to do commerce with Fain as soon as he sets up shop.) That is unless you are a bothersome peddler trying to scare a bunch of villagers who should be preparing for Festival.

FAIN

(Unperturbed even though his audience has been shooed away.) Ah, the young Wisdom. Enchanting to see you once again Nynaeve.

NYNAEVE

(She tugs on her long braid which hangs over the front of her shoulder. She is average in height for a woman, not quite reaching Perrin‘s chin.) “Wisdom” will do fine Master Fain.

FAIN

My apologies, Wisdom. I was just-

NYNAEVE

It’s quite out of the ordinary for you to appear at this time of year Master Fain. Though it has been some time since we have seen you at all, I do not take kindly to your stories stirring the villagers into a mob.

FAIN

I assure you that was not my intention Wisdom.

NYNAEVE

Well whatever you intention was, you’ve to come with me to speak to the Women’s Circle. You will share with them whatever news you can.

FAIN

I am at your service and theirs Wisdom.

(Turns to the people who have stayed behind.) Excuse me, my friends, I’ll be back to do business with you in a short while. Right now, I must speak to your Women’s Circle.

Disappointed patrons and would-be listeners of Fain’s tales grumble and walk off as Nynaeve leads Fain away with her. This leaves a disgruntled Mat standing with Rand and Perrin and a younger girl. She is about 16, of a similar height with Nynaeve,  if maybe a little shorter. She has brown eyes and dark hair with faintly colored skin. The three boys just noticed her as the crowd has shuffled off. Nynaeve looks over her shoulder as she walks away with the Peddler.

NYNAEVE

Mat, I’ll speak to you later about Ewin Fingar and a certain flour-covered dog running around, tearing down Mistress Torfinn’s laundry.

MAT

I’ve nothing to do with it Wisdom. You know these people, telling a bunch of lies about me. It’s a plot, I’m telling you! Wisdom!

(Nynaeve and Fain have already moved on. The young woman in her mid teens has been standing next to the Wisdom, her face a perfect imitation of NYNAEVE's expressions. She has her hair in a braid and is wearing a neat dress. The girl looks at Rand then Mat then back to Rand.)

RAND

(He smiles at first, but notices her expression hasn't changed. Suddenly he's cautious.) EGWENE, I-I didn’t see you there. Uh, some stories the peddler was telling huh?

EGWENE

Rand, you weren’t in on that prank Mat pulled on poor little Ewin, were you?

Okay. I like what you have done. I have thought about it being made into some sort of film/tv show. I am however very afraid of what hollywood might do to these books. Also, I really don't see it working as a movie/series of movies. There is just too much material in these books for a three or four hour movie. It isn't stuff that can be cut out and still be what it needs to be if that makes sense. All the intrigue and politik can't be removed and have it still make sense. It would have to be a tv series....a very long one at that

Okay. I like what you have done. I have thought about it being made into some sort of film/tv show. I am however very afraid of what hollywood might do to these books. Also, I really don't see it working as a movie/series of movies. There is just too much material in these books for a three or four hour movie. It isn't stuff that can be cut out and still be what it needs to be if that makes sense. All the intrigue and politik can't be removed and have it still make sense. It would have to be a tv series....a very long one at that

Thanks.

I originally was working on a version that would run about 3 hours to 3 hours and 20 minutes. That grew increasingly hard as I went along. The version I'm working with now, it takes me about 30-40 minutes just to get to the attack on the farm. By my estimate, it would take me an hour just to get to the group DECIDING to leave.

Now this could have been all cut down by about 15 minutes, but a lot of dear material would have been shelved. As it stands, the version I'm working on will run about 10 hours worth of material for 7-8 episodes in a miniseries. Even so, there are still a lot of things I have to shorten and edit, to fit a flow that would translate onto a screen.

For instance in this last scene, I changed the order in which the boys meet Fain and Thom, and later Moiraine. I've placed Perrin into the scenes earlier and shifted some of the village interactions. I've cut out Ewin Fingar to become just a reference. The Congars and Coplins aren't going to be mentioned until later, and old Cenn will only make a cameo.

My thinking is that the village will be represented by Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene, and then later Nynaeve. Bran, and Marin will have some lines, but limited. Tam will really represent the village to Rand and he plays a major role here in the early stages.

If the series would come along to The Shadow Rising, this is really where you're going to become the most acquainted with the individual villagers in the village. In the beginning though, I'd like to keep them in the background in order to showcase the principles, like Rand, Perrin and Mat.

As for the three hour version...I think it can be done, but like I said, it would cut out a lot of necessary material for later stages of the epic.

hour 1 would have been set in the Two Rivers. Hour 2 would have run up till the separation at Shadar Logoth. Hour 3 would have taken them to reunite in Caemlyn. About half an hour would do to get them to the climax at the Eye of the world.

In this version though, I would have cut out things like Fal Dara, many of the things with Rand and Mat on the road to Caemlyn. Lots of character things...Min's scenes would be shortened as would Elayne's. The stuff with Agelmar in Fal Dara...that's harsh to lose. The ways would be drastically shortened. A lot of the travel scenes would just be a montage.

You could fit everything in, but it would be very hard to leave the impression that these things were necessary to the one film by itself. You know?

Anyhow, I might continue with a bit of the scene where the boys meet Moiraine. I'll see if I can post that up in a bit.

MAT

The peddler and a gleeman! This will be the most fun we’ve had at Bel Tine ever.

PERRIN

And there’ll be fireworks.

RAND

(He shifts his glum stare from Egwene and Thom leaving to an interested one directed at Perrin.)

Really? How can you be sure?

PERRIN

Master Luhhan has been working on some kind of rack contraption for a while now. When I asked him what it was for, all he would say is that he was going to send it to someone outside of the Two Rivers. We all know that the only thing that comes out of here is tabac and wool. Who’d send for a blacksmith’s work from all the way down here?

MAT

How does this mean there will be fireworks Perrin?

PERRIN

Well, I happened to overhear Master Luhhan and the Mayor talking about fuses and…canisters. Master Luhhan was saying not to worry, because he used tempered iron “…just like the man said I should.” The rack was all tempered iron, so I figure it has something to do with canisters. I guess these canisters have to be for fireworks. I never heard of anything like it before.

RAND

I guess that makes sense.

MAT

That makes no sense!

PERRIN

Well, I figured.

RAND

No Mat, I think he’s right. I overheard Tam and the Mayor talking about something hidden in the Winespring’s cellar. When I asked my father about the rumors about there being fireworks, he smiled like he does when he’s about to pull a ploy on me in Stones.

MAT

Oh, you two are pretty brilliant. Listening at doors like a couple of Women’s Circle ninnies…

RAND

(With a laugh.)

Well what about you Mat? All you seem to be in on is flouring dogs and scaring Ewin.

MAT

Hah! I know something you two don’t, as a matter of fact. Strangers have come into the village last night.

RAND

We know about that, woolhead. The gleeman was just here.

MAT

No, not just him. Early this morning my father was negotiating with an outlander to sell some of our horses. Wasn’t much of a negotiation. My father named a price and the man just paid up. Good horses those, must have cost a fortune. Anyway, I caught a glimpse of him as he was leaving. He had his head covered with a cloak, but I’m sure I saw a sword on his belt.

RAND

Could it have been-

MAT

No, I thought about that, and sure, this fella seemed dangerous to be sure. It was the way he walked, like he was ready to move in any direction. Kind of like those merchants guards that would come from up north, but…well more like that. But no, he wasn’t the same as the rider.

PERRIN

I saw him too.

MAT and RAND

What?

PERRIN

There are two of them. They came in to the forge together a little while ago. Master Luhhan sent me off while he spoke to them. There was that soldier, and there was a Lady with him. She must be a real Lady, like royalty. She had on silk and she…wasn’t like any woman I’ve ever seen. Anyhow, she looked at me as I left and she seemed like the most-

MAT

Careful there Perrin. You may be big, but if that soldier was her husband he’d probably slice you in two with that blade of his.

(The sudden caw of a crow on a nearby thatch roof draws all three boys’ eyes.  It sits still with black eyes staring right at them. There‘s a disturbing feel about the bird and it seems to affect the three.)

MAT

Stinking thing, what’s it think it’s looking at?

PERRIN

(Looking at the bird absently.) It’s just a crow, Mat. Still…

RAND

Let’s talk elsewhere.

(He starts to walk towards the Inn, but is still keeping on eye on the bird. The other two follow also looking.)

I don’t…like the way it’s-

(The crows head moves slowly to track them and the boys notice.)

MAT

(Picks up a small rock and hurls it at the bird.)

Get out of here you carrion beaked-

(The rock flies dead towards the crow, but it merely steps aside and unconcernedly lets the rock bounce off a few inches away.)

PERRIN

I’ve never seen one do that before.

(All three look at each other for a beat and then begin to pick up stones and start hurling them at the bird. The crow simply dodges the rocks without flying away continuing to stare at them.)

RAND

(Motions for the other two to hold.)

I have a bow in the cart, I’ll be right back.

(Suddenly the crow flies off with a squawk as if smacked. Rand and the other watch as it flies fast away from them.)

WOMAN

Nasty creatures.

(The WOMAN is dressed in a layered dress and a cloak and if the material is not silk, it is very finely crafted I hues of blue. A small chain hangs from her elaborately fashioned hair suspending a blue stone that glints in the sun. The three boys are struck speechless, but all seem to realize that this woman was the outlander they were talking about.)

WOMAN

They can be tenacious during a long winter. They’ll eat just about anything.

PERRIN

Uh, good day miss-um, my Lady. (Unsure what exactly he should do he makes a half bow, half nod.)

My name is Perrin-

LADY

Aybarra, the blacksmith’s Apprentice.

(PERRIN freezes at the realization that she already knew who he was. MAT steps forward with a overly fanciful bow, a pale imitation of THOM’s from before.)

MAT

Mat Cauthon at your service my Lady.

LADY

Ah yes, your father sold my traveling companion and I some horses.

(A man suddenly seems to just appear a few steps behind the LADY, tall and broad of shoulder, but hard is the word that describes him best. RAND and PERRIN give a bit of a start.)

MAT

Hello Master Lan! Didn’t see you there.

(MASTER LAN remains silent, seeming to ignore MAT’s comment, but instead he turns a hard stare at PERRIN which then settles on RAND.)

RAND

Hello, my name is Rand al’Thor, Master Lan, my Lady…

(He extends his hand to LAN, who just continues to stare uncomfortably, so RAND turns to regard the LADY.)

LADY

You may call me Moiraine, Rand. Forgive Lan. He is my traveling companion, but he is also my bodyguard and at times my guide. He has a healthy sense of caution and isn’t quick to make casual acquaintance. 

(LAN finally seems to ease his guard a bit and turns away to look towards where the crow had flown away and picks some black feathers off the ground. The boys all notice the sword at his hip, how it seems part of him.)

PERRIN

Excuse me Lady MOIRAINE, but what brings you down here to the Two Rivers?

MOIRAINE

Please, just Moiraine, Perrin. Stories. Old Stories. I am a bit of a scholar you could say, and I follow tales from ancient times. I’ve traveled far to track down these tales and I suppose I’m looking for the source of many of them.

(The three lads exchange looks of slight bewilderment.)

MOIRAINE

I was told about you three by your Wisdom. She’s told me that you all often roam about this region, up to the foot of the Mountains of Mist and south of here as well.

MAT

That’s right Lady MOIRAINE, we do. We’ve been all around, even gone up to Watch Hill, down south to the White past Devon Ride. I went about halfway up the foot of the mountains in the west, but these two wanted to go back so we didn’t go any further. And east of here there’s the mire-

RAND

(A little impatiently.)

Still, what does this have to do with Emonds Field-um, if you don’t mind me asking Lady-um-Moiraine. I mean, there’s a gleeman here for Bel Tine. I’m sure his stories are more interesting than the ones here.

MOIRAINE

I think you would be surprised where some stories come from and where they end up. Any story a Gleeman could tell had to come from someone else who told it long before, in villages such as yours perhaps. It’s in places like Emonds Field where the story can change into…something else. In fact, I’ve read that Emonds Field has some very ancient stories attached to it.

MAT

From here? Talk to old Cenn Buie then Lady Moiraine. He’s ancient.

MOIRAINE

(With a melodic laugh.) I just might, but instead I might need some assistance from some like you and your friends, who have traveled to the corners of this region, places where most tend to not go.

MAT

We can show you Lady Moiraine! We know all of the corners of these lands.

PERRIN

Mat, let’s not make promises. We have duties here in the village and Rand has his work at the farm. Moiraine, I’m sure there are some better trackers than us three in in this area, men who’ve probably been all over the Two Rivers. I’m sure we could ask about someone for you.

MOIRAINE

You needn’t be bothered, any of you. Whenever you may have the time to spare, I might ask for you. Here take these silver marks and keep them until I might have need of you. If I do not, then you may use them for whatever you like.

(She hands all three boys a silver coin, which MAT eagerly takes. PERRIN is somewhat grudging, but also takes his coin. RAND hesitates the longest but MOIRAINE places it in his hand.)

MAT

Lady Moiraine, you came in from outland. You and Master Lan haven’t by chance seen-

(Perrin suddenly flips his coin in front of him dropping it by Mat and he leans forward to pick it up accidentally stepping on Mat’s foot.)

-Een-OW! Light Perrin!

(Mat hops to the side as Rand places a hand on Mat’s shoulder.)

RAND

Fireworks! Uh, have you and Master Lan ever seen fireworks before?

(Perrin has retrieved his coin and gives an apologetic look towards Moiraine whose face never changes expression. Mat looks daggers at the both of them. Before Moiraine can answer a group of men including TAM and BRAN burst out of the inn door trailing Nynaeve with Egwene in tow. Thom hangs back in the doorway finishing crumbs from a cake when he notices Moiraine and Lan. He stops dead and mutters something to Egwene who turns as the gleeman leaves back into the inn. She seems torn for a moment but finally decides to join the men and Nynaeve.)

MOIRAINE

We shall speak again later perhaps.

(With a regal nod she turns and leaves with Lan trailing behind like her shadow. All three boys attempt to bow as she leaves, but none really look comfortable doing so. It doesn’t matter because Moiraine has already turned away. Nynaeve glares at her back as she goes.)

Archived