DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'The Other One'

trakand_01

I'm reading KoD, and Rand and Min and Dobraine and Irien are in the academy, in the library (I think). Min is looking for some of Fel's books, and Rand is looking out the window down to what I think is supposed to be a steam engine that someone is building. He is thinking something about people inventing things, making new things, and LTT says something like 'We are not scholars, not you, nor I, nor the other one'. Something like that. Rand thinks 'who's the other one?'.

Which I have to say was my first thought. Is this pertaining to the body swap theory, or to the one lives and one dies' theory? Is 'the other one' the man who will either live or die with Rand? Moridin?

Guest Dreadlord

I believe it to be Moridin, and Lews Therin knows of him via the link created between Moridin and Rand when they crossed balefires. It is Moridins face that Rand sees when he channels

Guest Dreadlord

Yeah, some people referred to that person as "the Wanderer" but I think its pretty clear that its Moridin. Of course it might not be, but I feel fairly strong with the idea that it is Moridin. Also, there was a guy called "the Watcher" who was watching some Forsaken deal with the Shaido, the "Watcher" mentions using the True Power, Im fairly positive that thats Moridin as well

We are not scholars, not you, nor I, nor the other one

But if it's Moridin... I thought that Ishamael WAS a scholar? Wasn't he the one that  theorised that time was endless and that the light & dark had clashed countless times before?

Maybe I'm way off though, sorry if I am.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but I seem to remember that Ishy was a philosopher. A good one, I think. So yes he would have been a scholar, but Moridin is not 100% ishy, i dont think. He is ishy and a bit of something else. Moridin is not stupid, by a long shot but I dont think he is a scholar.

I'm not sure, I just always assumed that Moridin was made up of whatever could be salvaged and reused of Ishy (considering he was a raving loon) plus ... I dont know. A bit more, to make up Moridin. I wouldnt like to speculate on how the other bit got in there because then we come into the realms of 'what powers does the DO have' but if he can put some of himself in SH, perhaps he put some of himself into Moridin, into his Nae'blis?

Guest Dreadlord

We are not scholars, not you, nor I, nor the other one

UNQUOTE

I think what happened then was Rand was thinking about the school being built so Rand left something behind, Lews Therin said "We are not BUILDERS, you or I, or the other."

Guest Dreadlord

I think a good thing for us to do is put a quote on for each time Rand sees the face, and get Majsju to put them all onto one post so it can be read thoroughly. Im not sure but something makes me think Rand identified the face he sees as "the man he saw in Shadar Logoth" aka Moridin. What bothers me, though, is if "the other one" is indeed Moridin, surely that means Lews Therin knows who Moridin is? Otherwise he wouldnt know that Moridin isnt a builder so to speak. Obviously I know Lews Therin is mad but he acted as though he knew who he was talking about as much as he ever did while mentioning the Forsaken.

I don't think the other one is Moridin. I've always thought he was another past life that's roaming around in Rand's head that LTT could hear but not Rand (I take the stance that LTT is real and not a figment of Rand's insanity). I've been waiting for the identity to be revealed in MOL.

Since his reappearance inside Rand's head, Lews Therin seldom went silent unless forced. The man seemed madder than ever most of the time, and usually angrier as well. Stronger sometimes, too. That voice invaded Rand's dreams, and when he saw himself in a dream, it was not always himself at all that he saw. It was not always Lews Therin, either, the face he had come to recognize as Lews Therin's. Sometimes it was blurred, yet vaguely familiar, and Lews Therin seemed startled by it, too. That was an indication how far the man's madness went. Or maybe his own.

[TPOD: 21, Answering the Summons, 408]

I thought I could build, Lews Therin murmured in his head. I was wrong. We are not builders, not you, or I, or the other one. We are destroyers. Destroyers. [WH: Prologue, Snow, 80]

You destroyed them already, Lews Therin whispered in his head. Now you have someone else to destroy, and not beforetime. How many will we three kill before the end, I wonder. [WH: 22, Out of Thin Air, 436-437]

Abruptly another image was floating in his head, a man's face, and his breath caught. For the first time it came without any dizziness. For the first time he could see it clearly in the moments before it vanished. A blue eyed man with a square chin, perhaps a few years older than himself. Or rather he saw it clearly for the first time in a long while. It was the face of the stranger who had saved his life in Shadar Logoth. [KOD: News for the Dragon, 388]

There's a fourth somewhere in Winter's Heart--i think around the time he went to grab Nynaeve, where he saw the face blurry without channeling and the face looked sick an angry, but i dont have the time to find it for you.

Ultimately yes, the face is that of Moridin, and the third man that Lews Therin speaks of is also that of Moridin--he only starts speaking of the third after the link is formed--that was what first led to the suggestion of a link having been formed between them around the release of POD way back in the day before the image began forming when Rand channeled.

Ah, well there goes my theory then! Thanks for the info. I had wondered whether the man's face that Rand saw was Narishma. I couldnt remember when he started seeing the face, and wondered if it was around the time Narishma had pulled Callandor out of the Stone. I can't help thinking that 'he who pulls it out will follow after' has some significance.

I'm sure that if it had been Narishma who helped rand in SL that he would have recognised him fully!

Archived