DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Vegetarianism

Ok, all. So, I've turned 30 at the beginning of this yr, and I lost my father to Hepatitis C right before Christmas. These two cataclysmic events have birthed an interest in Vegetarianism. I'm listening to "Skinny B-tch" on audiobook right now and it's quite an eye-opener for a carnivore like me. I've decided I WILL convert to vegetarianism, esp after I cleaned a fresh fish tonite (gross) and helped cook it (disgusting to see its eyes turn white and pop out right when it became ready). No offense to my meat-eating dairy-loving brothers and sisters, but I cant take it anymore. I've spent 30 yrs putting crap in my body and boy, does it show! >_<

So, I need help. Because, my biggest problem is --- I actually dont cook... *gasp!* That's right. I'm a young professional living in NYC who has no license (i.e. I ride the subway everywhere), and doesnt know how to cook (read: I eat out everyday). This is B.A.D. I have been on the peta and vegcooking sites. They are great, but I dont know where to start. Ideas? Comments? Experiences with either cooking healthy or cooking veg/vegan? I could use all the jump-start I can get right now to make this happen.  ;)

Guest nephitess

OMG!!! first of all..*tackles* it is good to see you hun!!!

I went veggie for about 3 months a few years back. it was the most awesome thing i did diet wise. Unfortunately I had to stop because i went to a place where i could not control my diet...but i digress.

it is hard to be a eat out veggy! You do have to cook as far as I know. You can make things that you can take with you...like granola bars as such.

one of my fav sites is this...

www.vegweb.com

fun site! Let me know how it all goes. :)

I almost feel bad for not having much great advice to give, despite having been a vegetarian for over 15 years. But a few pointers perhaps...Though, even these basic things require some cooking.

In the beginning, I'd recommend looking for direct meat-alternatives, like soy sausages/burgers etc. You get the same kind of meals youare used to, only with the meat replaced. Makes the transition easier, and I promise that anyone can fry up some burgers. There is also a lot of things you just put in the microwave.

That combined with eating out (heck, even filthy places like burger king has veggie menues these days, though I would personally have to be starving to even consider eating there) should get you started. After that you really have to learn how to cook. But cooking is quite easy, once you start to experiment in the kitchen.

Here is a great place for new vegetarians: http://www.goveg.com/

I haven't eaten red meat for over a year, now. I still eat fish occasionally, but I'm trying to cut down on that. I used to eat about two cheeseburgers a week - now I can't even think about it without feeling sick! (I don't think I ever want to eat beef again!) I've actually lost some pounds on the vegan diet - it has really helped a lot!

I don't really have any interesting vegetarian websites to recommend - although my friend gave me a book last year - Vegetarian Times Beginner's Guide, by Wiley Publishing. It has a lot of good info, and some helpful, simple recipes.

Best of luck to you!

I flirted with vegetarianism several years ago, but then I married a hard core carnivore. Our compromise is that we do meat free meals once or twice a week.  The problem you're going to have is getting enough protein and being satisfied with what you've eaten. Proteins tend to be combined with fats, which leads to satiety.  The impulse is to overcompensate for that with carbs or high fat dairy products. 

My advice is to gradually cut meat from your diet. Give up just red meat for awhile. Then give up poultry. Then give up fish.  Will you continue to eat eggs and dairy? Or will you go completely vegan?

The soy alternatives that Maj mentions are easy to find at the grocery store these days and most are pretty tasty.  We like the Boca brand veggie burgers.  They make an easy and quick hot sandwich.  The only caution I give there is that as a processed food, they will be high in sodium.

Good luck!

I am a vegetarian, though I do eat some seafood.  I have done this for about 13 years now, and I don't regret it in the slightest.

My first thought would be to really be wary of what you see/read on site like PETA's.  No offense to animal activists, but as someone with an educational background in Animal Science, some of that really needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  I personally avoid sites like that like the plague.

If you're ready to just dive into becoming a vegetarian, definitely try new things!  Even pre-packaged things from the store (though as Kath said, watch out for high sodium levels) are good to start with.  I personally like the "fake meat" products, because I love soy protein and it really helps make foods stick with you.  I love Boca burgers, Morningstar veggie crumbles (they're GREAT in chili and spaghetti sauce), and veggie corn dogs, oddly enough. :)

As far as eating healthy generally, there is SO much that you can do with vegetables!  I don't know about you, but I adore carbs.  Pasta, bread...  Anything like that, and I'm SO there. LOL  Try to stick with whole grains and whole wheat products as they are loads better for you and are not just empty calories (though I personally don't love whole wheat pasta, so I cheat there ;)).  Try to use olive oil for cooking as opposed to butter, though the occasional pat of butter or two won't hurt you.

Eating out as a veg has gotten easier and easier over the years.  When I first converted, I found it very tricky to find restaurants with good veg meals.  Most of the time people just slapped together some poorly grilled veggies onto a plate and called it good.  Things have definitely changed, and there is a plethora of good food available.  This is especially true in more cosmopolitan areas.

Truly, my biggest piece of advice is to just be creative!  You need to just be willing to make some mistakes along the way.  I still am learning to cook, but the only way to really start to get a handle on things is to just jump in and try it.  If it turns out well, great!  If not, eat it anyway and make a note to not to that again next time. :D

Archived