DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is there a "pattern" to "when" Mat hears the dice in his head?

GrandpaG

Never considered it until today reading another post.

I've always thought the dice were a warning of something bad that would happen to Mat personally.  I never kept track to see if there was any kind of connection amongst the various occurrences.

Now I won't be online to find the answer...DRAT!!!  >:(

I don't think that there is exactly a pattern just that they spin whenever Mat reaches a cross roads of his destiny. If the dicego one way it is good for the pattern if it falls another the world is doomed. I base this off of when he is talking to the Snakees and they tell him that he must go to rhuedion and he asks why and what will happen if he doesn't and they say something like "then you will have side stepped the thread of fate." And so naturally with that hanging over his head. he goes.

I agree with dmanmiller34,and I've noticed that they have presaged almost every step in his relationship with Tuon.From picking the Wandering Woman to stay,where he meets Satelle Anan(who ends up trying to help him win Tuon over),to -jumping ahead- when he promises Tuon he will keep her safe and let her go when he can and she promises not to try to escape,and when he gives her the razor etc..

I also seem to recall they show up a lot when battle is near.

TOTALLY OFF THE WALL STRANGE THOUGHT!!!

Could the dice be some kind of Finn granted/bestowed THINK VERY HARD BEFORE YOU ACT early-warning system.

(Picture "Robot",waving arms,yelling "Danger! Danger,Wil Ro...oops,Matrim Cauthon) 

Could the dice be some kind of Finn granted/bestowed THINK VERY HARD BEFORE YOU ACT early-warning system.

(Picture "Robot",waving arms,yelling "Danger! Danger,Wil Ro...oops,Matrim Cauthon) 

i love that theroy i think thats right lol it makes alot of sens ;D

now i just wont to know what the finns are and how they came to be or what there ultamit purpose IS?

Matt has been hearing the dice since he ran (or was it kidnapped) away from Tar Valon, after having the link between himself and the dagger from Shadar Logoth (sp?) broken.  

When he first woke up after the process, he went through his belongings and saw his dice were still there.  I can't recall exactly, if he recognized them as his or another set, however I do recall there being some mention of his dice being replaced and his belongings rifled.

I've always felt these replacement dice were some sort of ter angreal that didn't require use of the power to activate.  So when Matt went tavern hopping, he activated whatever effect the dice are supposed to have.

I don't think the dice were necessarily to his benefit, I've always had the feeling it was a darkfriend or black sister who replaced the dice upon orders from higher up.

As far as hearing the dice in his head, I think it signifies some sort of major turning point in Matt's life (that will have an impact upon the pattern).  And when they stop, their result help determine whether he is in a good situation or a bad one (I imagine their dark one's own dice and can hear him laughing if the roll is bad, landing Matt into a less than favorable predicament).  Otherwise, I notice no other patterns.

I hope I'm understanding all of the above posts correctly...I think I am.  Thanks.

I don't know how to re-state my original question so you'll know what I meant.

Is there something "deeper" than the obvious that we read outright in the books.  You know how Siuan sees patterns in things?  That's what I can almost feel in Mat's different dice warnings.  I know they were telling him about something important in the Pattern that would affect him personally in the near future.  But, across the total of all of his experiences is there something else there.  Darn.  I can almost taste it!

I can't put my finger on it.

I know the dice rattling warns him that something is coming.

Is there a pattern to the things that happen?  Are they related?  A "chain of events" rather than random occurrences?

I'm probably barking up an empty tree. :-\

I've always felt these replacement dice were some sort of ter angreal that didn't require use of the power to activate.  So when Matt went tavern hopping, he activated whatever effect the dice are supposed to have.

I don't believe that this is true.  Mat appears to be lucky at everything.  For example, he is lucky at cards as well.  Not as lucky as at dice, granted, but lucky none the less.  I believe he would have the same luck no matter what dice he used.  In fact, I believe in one book or another he did use someone else's dice, and was still lucky at it.

I am curious if there has ever been any hint from RJ on whether or not that Matt is the first taver'en whom has had this dice effect rolling around within his mind, along with impossibly incredible luck that Matt enjoys on a regular basis.

Interesting thread...

As I recall, when matts dice were introduced in the book @ the WT, it was portrayed as if almost all of his items were unfamiliar to him.  Key word ALMOST, I do believe that some things were familiar to him.

As far as specific occurances of his dice rattling I know that there has been several references to the DO's luck... And it seems that everytime the dice rattle, there is a shadow-inspired event occuring nearby.

I do believe that they are shadowspawned ter angreal placed in his belongings by the Black Ajah.  Remember that the catch phrase "Let the Lord of Chaos Rule" has become a common theme throughout the series and so our little sheephearder has needed all the help and luck from those around him as he can mustar.  I doubt that the DO would want to face LTT/DR with the luck-endowed dice and his taverenness.  Therefore, placing them in DR's little sidekicks hand...

"But I don't know, half the time I'm talking out of my ass... or sticking my hand in it."

(sorry for the spam, but name the movie?)

Archived